closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should every man own a watch?

Should every man own a watch?

Yes, TZers..this is going to hurt but I've met people who do not only not wear a watch, but don't own one at all. :shock:

Are these real men?

Have they just not grown up yet?

Isn't it just a bit weird to be relying on your 'phone? "Why do I need a watch? I have the time on my 'phone."

This last line especially makes me want to :pukeleft:

Journeyman

Re: Should every man own a watch?

I know a reasonable number of people who don't wear a watch but in many ways I prefer that than seeing somebody who has clearly not given their watch choice any thought.

For example one of the Directors at my employer wears a RipCurl watch which is all wrong in a world of suits IMHO.

I regularly leave my phone alone all weekend, but I still need to know the time, so I wear a watch. I simply don't understand anyone that has to have their phone with the 24/7. So yes, you should still wear a watch, and give the phone a rest.

Apprentice

In my experience it is the younger generation who have grown up with a choice of things telling them the time. If you have a phone in your pocket why wear a watch? Ironically the modern phone has become the equivalent of an old pocket watch.

Master

3 of the 5 in my dept at work do not wear watches. Shame on them all!

A man without a watch is like a mixer without scotch.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog
    3 of the 5 in my dept at work do not wear watches. Shame on them all!
    I'm trying to talk my colleague into getting a watch. He's 28 so is not part of the ipad/smartphone revolution (that I would reserve for kids in their teens now). It's proving a hard job.

Quote Originally Posted by scarto
    "Why do I need a watch? I have the time on my 'phone."

This last line especially makes me want to :pukeleft:

I've heard that too.. Thats just nasty line to say.. I have one of those guys at work as colleague, havent spoken with him since. Or maybe Im (my wallet is) just envious.. On the other hand, I dont know better things to spend money..

;)

There's worse than that about. I've heard of folk who only own one watch..........
    F.T.F.A.

Different strokes, but weird non the less.

Why would you spend money on something extra to carry around that has no essential purpose?

Watches are man jewelry. Probably more of a man not wearing one.

Craftsman

I can't understand how anyone can do without a watch, but it's all personnal choice.

I don't get the need for the latest mobile phones, but I recognise that pretty much puts me in the minority. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I don't get G-Shocks either

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj
    Why would you spend money on something extra to carry around that has no essential purpose?

Watches are man jewelry. Probably more of a man not wearing one.
    :shock:

Go and stand in the corner and have a little think about what you've done.

Grand Master

Indeed so. Mobile phones are generally a pain in the ass and we survived perfectly well without them before.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Your watch may be a jewel, but mine is a tool... for telling the time. An instrument if you will. 8)
    Gray

Learning to tell the time was a right of passage and being given your first watch was a big thing for a young boy. It was a sign of growing up, also a sign of becoming less dependent on your parents - knowing the time gave you freedom - "Be back at 5 o'clock"

I wish my dad had had a watch or two...
    "A man of little significance"

Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100

How come ?

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy100

How come ?
    It's something personal, isn't it? There are lots of people on the forum who wear watches their fathers bought new, which they inherited when their fathers died. Apparently my father always knew what the time was despite not wearing or owning a watch.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by JamesG
    I know a reasonable number of people who don't wear a watch but in many ways I prefer that than seeing somebody who has clearly not given their watch choice any thought.

For example one of the Directors at my employer wears a RipCurl watch which is all wrong in a world of suits IMHO.
    I recently met with a member of the board of a very high profile multi-national corporation. Early on I spotted his watch under his sleeve - IWC Portuguese - very nice, I thought. Until I noticed the quartz second hand and the shoddily finished case. Now there really is no excuse for that!

Quote Originally Posted by hsukirk
    Patel Worldtimer
    :!:

Always going to be a somewhat biased view on this forum!!

Everyone I know at work has a watch but its effectively compulsory as a pilot!

Outside of work so many people have phones or work at a computer with the time in the bottom right hand corner so they don't need something extra to tell them the time.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    A man without a watch is like a mixer without scotch.

john
    And what sort of man has a mixer with his scotch?

Craftsman

yup - some don't see the need for a watch other than something to tell the time :(

i'll bet there are some who also say a car is just to get you from a to b :cry:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

a man?
    without a watch?

it's one of the first things I notice!

Craftsman

Until recently (may ish) I hadn't owned a watch for 25 years. My friend bought me a Monaco copy from China but only really wore it round the house. I was more than content not really knowing the time and didn't really use my phone either.

Now have 5 and looking for my next. Could I live without one ? Definately, but why ?

I never trust a man who doesn't own a suit or a watch.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Madness
    Outside of work so many people have [s:chddhmq8]phones[/s:chddhmq8] pocket watches
    Fixed it for you. Add you can stop digging now. ;)
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

My phone is a tool for work and would happily bin it.
    My watch....watches are a joy to wear and will never be rubbish to throw away.

Craftsman

I've always loved tech and gadgets, but for some reason I've never really fallen for mobile phones. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my iPhone, but I don't carry it with me all the time - mostly when I really need to stay in touch with work or family. I'd never go out without a watch though.

To be honest, I never really noticed what was on people's wrists until I fell deeper into this watch obsession not too long ago. Now I have to admit that I particularly notice not so much the watch itself, but when someone isn't wearing a watch. I can't help but feel a pang of disappointment even though I'm fully aware that it's each man to his own taste.

People just look better with watches on IMHO. :D

No.
    Just the real ones. :D

In answer to the topic question: definitely yes. But then again, i obviously wouldn't dream of judging any fools who don't! :lol:

Craftsman

I meet a lot of people in my line of work.
    Shoes and watches are the first thing I look at - they tell you a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by pmdf
    I've always loved tech and gadgets, but for some reason I've never really fallen for mobile phones. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my iPhone, but I don't carry it with me all the time - mostly when I really need to stay in touch with work or family. I'd never go out without a watch though.
    Exactly the same - more than happy with decent computers, high def telly, surround sound and the like - but have no love for mobiles.

Then again, a proper watch fits in with my preference for a turntable - engineering over microchips, if that makes sense.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by oldandgrumpy
    Learning to tell the time was a right of passage and being given your first watch was a big thing for a young boy. It was a sign of growing up, also a sign of becoming less dependent on your parents - knowing the time gave you freedom - "Be back at 5 o'clock"
    So true.... I had a watch way before I had a phone. I was trained to use the watch for time. I never ever use the phone to check the time. Flipping the wrist comes naturally. It comes down really to what you did when you were younger.

I was with a younger friend a couple of months ago and although he checks his watch for time he reached for his phone to check the date. I asked him why and said that it never crossed his mind to use the watch. The date was set correctly to his Breitling, it was a like a revelation to him. "Wow, I have time AND date". Funny how brain works sometimes!

Most people at my work wear a watch inc the women. I find the latter tend to wear them more as they may consider them more as jewellery.

I went back to wearing a watch as it is easier looking at your wrist then trying to dig the phone out

sam

My Rolex is a 13 year old model. It's the older object that I am using all the day. A particular moment, when I take it every morning :P

I own watches not for knowing the time but for the whole package deal. The design, history, fashion statement!

phones suck!

cheers,

vncnt

Every man should have a least 7 watches.

We are all men with or with out a watch
    the slightest joy my two expensive watches gives me is to tell me what time it is :shock:
    when I wear them it is about so much more then what time it is (of course I also want them to tell the right time)

Master

Personally I hate being without a watch, it just feels so wrong and out of balance. I know plenty of people who cba with them now though, generally the reason being "I've always got my phone, and that's got a clock on it". Wouldn't be without mine, and if things go well over the next few years I hope to expand my collection further!

Craftsman

I managed without ones for years, until January this year, when I officially caught the bug.

Easy to manage without one to be perfectly honest.

Journeyman

I love watches and would not be caught dead without wearing one :) .

Master
    Blog Entries

I feel totally naked without my watch, not a pretty site I can tell you. Every man should wear a watch

Journeyman

At my job (Institute of applied research at Vilnius University) no one from my co-workers thinks a watch is a necessity (usually don't wear or have it on a wrist combination). Because of a simple fact. It is not a necessity, especially when your work doesn't require prestige and other silly stuff. It is only a thing, nice thing to have when you are in you middle age crisis.

No offense but you can live without a wristwatch, especially when your mobile phone gives out Atomic time from GPS or Radio signals :)

So do a man without a watch is a man?

Do a man without a hat is a man? :)

It just mechanics that interest me from age of 15, and I am 24 so no crisis here :)

Why you are buying watches and change them all the time, like pretending that the watch is the thing that will bring you joy? :) Good and real relations with your surroundings will, but not the watch, and watch will not make you a man if you are without passion for life.

Watches are long term marketing project with huge money injections during decades starting from 1970 with coming of quartz (Time is affordable, and swiss watches almost dies, but strong image marketing saves them).

A.?.

Quote Originally Posted by verv
    a man?
    without a watch?

it's one of the first things I notice!
    Ah, hello...exactly the right person to give a view. :)

So do you look at a man's wrist and then his shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    Indeed so. Mobile phones are generally a pain in the ass and we survived perfectly well without them before.
    :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by concordus
    At my job (Institute of applied research at Vilnius University) no one from my co-workers thinks a watch is a necessity (usually don't wear or have it on a wrist combination). Because of a simple fact. It is not a necessity, especially when your work doesn't require prestige and other silly stuff. It is only a thing, nice thing to have when you are in you middle age crisis.

No offense but you can live without a wristwatch, especially when your mobile phone gives out Atomic time from GPS or Radio signals :)

It just mechanics that interest me from age of 15, and I am 24 so no crisis here :)

Why you are buying watches and change them all the time, like pretending that the watch is the thing that will bring you joy? :) Good and real relations with your surroundings will, but not the watch, and watch will not make you a man if you are without passion for life.

Watches are long term marketing project with huge money injections during decades starting from 1970 with coming of quartz (Time is affordable, and swiss watches almost dies, but strong image marketing saves them).

A.?.
    +1. If you really need a watch for it's functions, then probably a radio-controlled Casio G-Shock is the best choice, not an expensive, sometimes fragile ancient mechanical movement. :)

People who're relatively well off but do not need to present that to others (engineers, researchers) usually do not need expensive watches, while most bankers try to get a Rolex even if they aren't paid that well.

If I take a watch off for even a minute I feel odd! I find people who don't wear a watch abit weird :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by concordus

A.?.
    Quite wrong, and utter bunk, you failed to read the question properly, "Should every man own a Watch?". Not, "Should every man own an expensive mechanical Swiss watch". It doesn't matter where it comes from, what makes it tick, what kind of display it has, or how much it costs. How do you keep appointments otherwise. As for the accuracy of the time on mobile phones, it's not that great, and as previously mentioned, it's more trouble than looking at your wrist. There are also areas where mobile phones are not allowed, like hospitals, doctors surgery's, dentists, petrochemical refineries etc.