closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doggy bags - would you, could you?

Doggy bags - would you, could you?

A thought provoking article for these austere times.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15106212

Have you ever asked for a doggy bag? Would you ask for one?

I must admit I haven't, but then I hadn't really thought about it until I read this article.

Maybe we should all do it (although to be fair I tend to clear my plate... :D )
    So clever my foot fell off.

Re: Doggy bags - would you, could you?

I too don't tend to leave anything, but imagine I would only do it with pizza..
    Cheers..
    Jase

It's offered in some Indian restaurants up here.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus

Where is "Up here"?

I'm guessing one of the following, Scotland, Norway, The North Pole (those Tandoori's get everywhere) or are you posting from the hereafter?

:D

Craftsman

I've done it with puddings when its been part of a 'set menu' but I didn't have room by the time I got to the end of my main course.
    Don't understand why so many people have a problem with it, as you've already paid for it.

Master

I never leave anything myself, but we've often asked for a doggy bag when the kids have left stuff.
    Weve never been refused and to be honest nobody has ever batted an eyelid when we've asked.

I took home some pizza the other lunchtime.

In the past I never would have thought about it - and now, not because of the economy or anything like that (I am about 3 stone lighter and a lot less active though!), I would definitely ask. Also I prefer to eat smaller meals and sometimes the amount is just huge!

I remember going out for a Chinese meal with the GF and we ordered the banquet, well after the first round of starters we were full, managed to then eat the duck and pancakes and had to request that the main meals were packed up - the amount of food we took home would have done 4 normal people too!
    It's just a matter of time...

Yes, I've asked for one whenever the food is good and the portions over generous :)
    No shame here!

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana

Where is "Up here"?

I'm guessing one of the following, Scotland, Norway, The North Pole (those Tandoori's get everywhere) or are you posting from the hereafter?

:D
    Not quite the hereafter, but Gods country, Durham. :wink:
    F.T.F.A.

cannedheat

yes, once asked for two in fact, one with the meat for the doggie and one for its master with the salad

I asked for one at a Chinese "all you can eat" buffet. They told me to p+ss off. :mrgreen:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cynar
    I never leave anything myself, but we've often asked for a doggy bag when the kids have left stuff.
    Weve never been refused and to be honest nobody has ever batted an eyelid when we've asked.
    We've done the same, no point in wasting food.

Master

Have you ever asked for a doggy bag? Would you ask for one?
    All the time at Indian restaurants as the food lends itself to that pretty well and they generally have containers. At my favourite Indian we generally over-order specifically to do this, in fact.

In a restaurant, if I like what's being served I don't leave any, and I only order what I like so the chance of being served something I didn't like is a rare thing. I don't remember ever sending food back or not finishing my meal.

As for takeaways, I've never been a fan of cold pizza or yesterday's curry so if there's still some left it goes in the bin.

Chris.

Master

Never been a fan of yesterday's curry? :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    Indeed! :shock: The best hangover breakfast going! :D
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman

Got quite used to doing this after living with my Canadian partner, even if you're not hungry or don't feel like eating it - it's not that hard to find someone who will appreciate it

Master

I thought this was going to be a thread about clearing up after your dog ............ and not the other way round :lol:

I tend the finish anything that I've ordered. If I haven't finished it, it's usually cos I didn't like the taste

One thing that does pee me off no end is going out for a meal with a group of friends. Say 4 guys, 4 girls. The girls order as though they have the appetite of guys and there is so much food left over at the end. Waste of food + waste of money

Master

Yes and Yes :wink:

Although it took some getting used to for Mrs Bond and I, we think nothing of it now asking for it to be boxed :)

Quote Originally Posted by Seabadger
    Indeed! :shock: The best hangover breakfast going! :D
    I can't face any food with a hangover, let alone edible reminders of the night before. :pukeleft:

Chris

Master

I never do it. Never. I find the whole practise quite distasteful and my Canadian girlfriend does not see why.

Even after all my travels in the US and Canada where it's quite acceptable I just can't bring myself to do it, either here or there.

Master

There's no harm in asking for something to be wrapped :)

It rather depends on where I have eaten and with whom. If I am out with a group of friends and we are off to somewhere else after, I probably wouldn't as it would be a pain to carry around the bag. If I am going back home and we have struggled to eat everything then I have no problem asking to take the left-overs home. We did it not that long ago after having a lovely family lunch in an indian restaurant and I had the curry cold the next morning for breakfast. I also did it the last time I ate out with friends at a thai restaurant and we all nibbled on the left-overs later in the evening.

I do, especially pizza and indian.

Its not only from an economic perspective but saves the hassle of cooking for the next day

Depends on the restaurant! :) I've asked for doggie bags at the more informal establishments. No sense in wasting good food! :)

I do. My in-laws live in LA and we visit frequently. A common practice there that I've been happy to adopt at home. Mind you - I don't tend to leave much ( ). Definitely needed in The States where I've sometimes found the portion sizes to be much bigger.

Yep, with no qualms or embarrassment what so ever .

it's food I have paid for so if I don't feel like eating it all at that time, then why shouldn't I ask to take it away with me ?

In some places its seen as a compliment that although you couldn't eat all the portion, you enjoyed the food so much that you want to take the rest to enjoy later.

it's also interesting to see that several of the chain style restaurants (such as Harvester) are doing a takeaway or order out service ..something most US restaurants have been doing for years

Any further south and i would have wet feet

I've never got any food left to carry out when i go to dinner :D

(apart from the odd Indian meal where it is,of course,the done thing to over order...its never an issue.)

Quote Originally Posted by colin
    I never do it. Never. I find the whole practise quite distasteful .

Just out of interest,why do you find it distasteful? If you've paid for the food and the restaurant is happy to provide the service (especially in the US & Canada where it is the norm),what's the problem?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by colin
    I never do it. Never. I find the whole practise quite distasteful .
    Just out of interest,why do you find it distasteful? If you've paid for the food and the restaurant is happy to provide the service (especially in the US & Canada where it is the norm),what's the problem?[/quote]
    My upbringing, I guess. It was never acceptable to do that. And it's still not 'the norm' at least not in Western Europe, in my experience. I'm not saying people shouldn't do it, I'm just saying that I would never feel comfortable doing so, regardless of how often I've wished I could.

I went out for a lunch once with a work friend her husband and her dad who was over from South Africa, we all ate our very expensive meals but her dad had some meat left over, my friend went mad when her dad asked for a doggy bag. She thought it very bad manners it wasn't till i was on my way home i thought this is stupid of cause we should take it home. Better a cold tea one night than a rat eating on it round the back.

Master
    Blog Entries

Does it depend to an extent on what the restaurant is?

I mean, I am happy to do this in an Indian where I don't recall any staff ever taking issue with it, and everything gets put in takeaway cartons.

I'm not sure I'd do it at the Ivy though...

Is that wrong? Should it just be "ask" or better still, be offered as a matter of course, irrespective of the venue?

I 'spose I'd not want to feel self-conscious, and certain venues don't help.

I can't remember the exact venue, but a friend was in a hotel recently (think Ł400+ per night) in London, and on having the lobster in the evening and not eating all of it, he was asked if he'd like them to make him some lobster sandwiches to take to work the next day. I know, because the b*stard sat next to me eating them while I had something cheap & nasty from Boots!

I don't see any problem asking for a doggy bag, you've paid for it after all. I don't have that problem as I don't go out to eat, I prefer cooking my own.

From a safety point of view, make sure you put it in the fridge as soon as you get home and the food is cool enough. When re-heating, remove from the fridge just before re-heating, make sure the core temperature is at least 70°C for two minutes, or if a non-solid, like sauce etc, reaches 83°C. Never re-heat food more than once. All simple stuff that I'm sure everyone knows, but just in case someone doesn't.

with me about there is never anything left :D

Master

In the US they'll ask for a doggy bag almost regardless of the quality of the restaurant. You've paid for it and it saves you eating to the point you feel sick just to get your money's worth.

Craftsman

I have done in lots of places. Often do it down the local Indian restaurant, as we like to order larger, but have also done it in some expensive posh joints in London.

Nothing to be ashamed of IMO.

May have walked home with most of a pint, or a large whisky, in my hand before as well :drunken:

I couldn't. I wpuld do my best and then just leave it, Mind you now its on my mind the next time im in that position I will give ot thought.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho Panza
    From a safety point of view.
    Thanks Dad :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by gamingdave
    May have walked home with most of a pint, or a large whisky, in my hand before as well :drunken:
    I used to regularly leave a nightclub with a few bottles or Newky Brown, or cans of Red Stripe secreted about my person :D

Rarely go anywhere 'grown up' to eat, but we often go as a family to Pizza Hut-they always offer to box up any leftovers. You've paid for it, so what's the problem?

Quite common in the US but the portions are generally gigantic.

Quote Originally Posted by therossatron
    Absolutely. I view a visit to an all you can eat buffet as a challenge to Britain. :D

Great choice of name by the way, I always enjoyed Friends.

My wife rarely finishes her curry & we often ask for a doggy bag.

As I love curry, I'll happily eat it next day.

It's got nothing to do with austerity - we've done it for ages - I hate waste.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Entirely normal for us at the local curry house - means you can order a bigger range of dishes and then finish them off at home during the week - nothing better than leftover curry to look forward to.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by therossatron
    Always remember being asked if I wanted salad with my steak for the first time in the US. Not only did I fail to appreciate that meant I had a whole COURSE of salad before the steak came, but it was so big (and delicious), I didn't want the damned steak!

I didn't ask- I was given a doggy bag!!!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    I do but then I do have a couple of doggies. :D
    Same here, but I have to say, not a regular happening. The classic times are perhaps if you have a large steak with a bone in it, or perhaps a lamb shank. The dogs love it.

Master

Haha, I always fill up a doggy bag for my Alaskan Malamute, otherwise he sulks if I dont bring him any goodies after a night out. Regards. Kev

Master

Quote Originally Posted by bubblehead
    Haha, I always fill up a doggy bag for my Alaskan Malamute, otherwise he sulks if I dont bring him any goodies after a night out. Regards. Kev
    You must need a big bag! Two miniature dachshunds don't need much to cheer them up! ;)

Doggy bags - would you, could you?

I have asked for pack ups from noodle bars and pizza places. Great for when Jnr does not finish up.

More about disliking waste than money to me.

Not sure I would ask for a pack up from the priory though.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

I think we need to get over ourselves sometimes. A doggy bag is not really optional we just do it. Besides with a couple of doggys back home they think the daddy person has been out hunting and brought the 'kill' home :D
    Sometimes if I have been away I bring them back a Big Mac!
    But seriously why wouldnt you take your meal home?

Journeyman

My wife and I had a nice Chinese meal at Leicester Square last night and yes we did ask for doggy bags as we ordered 3 dishes but could only finish 1 the other 2 dishes were half finished and too good to waste, this would be dinner for us tonight :duckie: .