closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinion Required re 'Villan'

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

Re: Opinion Required re 'Villan'

Quote Originally Posted by studs
    People should be set straight here... a Breitling SQ running +10/day = Totally F*#@ed!

At least now I've a long mental note of people best avoided if I'm ever tempted to try my luck again.

There is a long list of people appearing on threads like this that are best avoided, and most of them dont feature as the so called villain !

Armchair lawyers this place is full of them..... :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by Chartman69
    So it would appear... along with those who would confuse moral integrity with matters of law.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chartman69
    So it would appear... along with those who would confuse moral integrity with matters of law.
    And personal opinion with matters of fact.

I mean

Quote Originally Posted by doctorj
    You're not a proper WIS. That's the message I'm getting here.
    !??!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by DS3R

You're not a proper WIS. That's the message I'm getting here.
    !??!?!?!?!
    I know what he meant, proper WIS should be selling their children and all that ...

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Craftsman

About the non-proper WIS is :D

honourable for the seller to return as a goodwill gesture!!!

Banned

i have no oppinion on the villain bit as we do not know the full story.
    the previous ref to the oil filled/modded? watch dosent seem fair though

watch wise i wouldnt have a mechanical watch if it was more than 5 secounds out a day without getting it adjusted.
    i would expect a q breitling under warranty to be totaly perfect unless otherwise stated when i bought it.
    i wouldnt accept 10 secounds out a day on a £5 q watch

Some of us are very fortunate that we have a separate watch fund or hobby fund, but I also know of others who, for one reason or another, have to sell some of their hobby items to pay bills.

If the seller in this case done that and no longer has the money to refund what is he supposed to do? As far as I can see, the only avenues open to him is to apologise profusely or to put the new buyer onto anyone else who made enquiries about the watch (But in this case it looks as if no one did).

I find it hard to believe he would sell a faulty watch that is under warranty, he could just send it off to Breitling, get it back and jobs a good 'un, so I would think the watch got damaged in the post,as had happened to me on a couple of SC purchases.

Master

Has happened to me twice, took it on the chin under the caveat emptor doctrine. First time fortunately was under warranty so off to Breitling it went. Second time cost me 300 quid to get it sorted.
    Funnily enough they were both Breitlings !!
    maseman

Grand Master

Totally out of order to sell a modern quartz watch that's 10secs/day out IMO.

A refund or partial refund should happen IMO.

Paul

The least would be for the seller to pay all expenses for a return to Breitling for adjustment IMHO.
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    The least would be for the seller to pay all expenses for a return to Breitling for adjustment IMHO.
    Seems a fair solution.

If Breitling say no problem with the watch, then the buyer picks up the tab?

Cheers

Peter

i have no oppinion on the villain bit as we do not know the full story.
    + 1
    a lot on this post must thinks about it ...

Quote Originally Posted by maseman
    Has happened to me twice, took it on the chin under the caveat emptor doctrine. First time fortunately was under warranty so off to Breitling it went. Second time cost me 300 quid to get it sorted.
    Funnily enough they were both Breitlings !!
    maseman
    Was this on SC? Did you report this on H&V?

I also have no wish to join the hero/villain debate, but as someone who unfortunately usually has to fund my habit with a one out/one in policy I would be very interested in hearing what is deemed an acceptable period to wait before spending the proceeds of a sale.

Provided the watch is described honestly and accurately in the first instance, turns up ok and is working on arrival, how long do you have to wait to see if it might malfunction?

A day? 2 days? a week? a month?

As has been said already, these are pre-owned watches that we are trading in, from private individuals, and I think we all know the risks involved. If someone finds that risk unacceptable then, with respect, they should probably confine their purchasing to situations where the Sale of Goods Act applies.

For the most part watches on SC are not being sold with any guarantee other than they are 'as advertised' (although happily in this case the risk element is considerably diminished by the manufacturers guarantee).

If the answer to my question is , for example, a week, how does the seller know how the watch is being treated, stored etc in that period?

I generally do try to leave 48 hours after the buyer has received the watch just in case something untoward happens, but after that (and in the absence of a crystal ball) I would go ahead and spend the money if I needed to.

Is the concensus that one should hold off on spending the money for longer, and if so how long is considered acceptable?

Master

I'm on the iPhone so am typing this without bothering to remind myself who the OP or seller are, so as unbiased as I can possibly be. I see a lot of people stating that the seller has sold a faulty watch. On the assumption (possibly incorrectly, I'm sure someone will step in if so) that it is possible for a wearer to do something to negatively affect the timekeeping of a superuartz, how does anyone (OP included) know it wasn't the OP who did something, possibly inadvertently/unknowingly to cause the problem? Is that not at least as likely a possibility as the seller selling a buggered watch?

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hhhh
    I also have no wish to join the hero/villain debate, but as someone who unfortunately usually has to fund my habit with a one out/one in policy I would be very interested in hearing what is deemed an acceptable period to wait before spending the proceeds of a sale.

Provided the watch is described honestly and accurately in the first instance, turns up ok and is working on arrival, how long do you have to wait to see if it might malfunction?

A day? 2 days? a week? a month?

As has been said already, these are pre-owned watches that we are trading in, from private individuals, and I think we all know the risks involved. If someone finds that risk unacceptable then, with respect, they should probably confine their purchasing to situations where the Sale of Goods Act applies.

For the most part watches on SC are not being sold with any guarantee other than they are 'as advertised' (although happily in this case the risk element is considerably diminished by the manufacturers guarantee).

If the answer to my question is , for example, a week, how does the seller know how the watch is being treated, stored etc in that period?

I generally do try to leave 48 hours after the buyer has received the watch just in case something untoward happens, but after that (and in the absence of a crystal ball) I would go ahead and spend the money if I needed to.

Is the concensus that one should hold off on spending the money for longer, and if so how long is considered acceptable?
    If I sell something I always wait for confirmation from the buyer that they are happy before spending the funds, I do this as I once purchased a watch from SC, the crown fell out when I tried to set the time so I contacted the seller who said he had spent the money. I got the money back after about a week IIRC but waiting was a pain.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I know this might sound dumb on my part..
    But have you double and triple checked the timekeeping?.. And against what source?

Sometimes if my Internet is on the squint then time.is etc is a few seconds out of whack due to connectivity etc.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by phil h
    If I sell something I always wait for confirmation from the buyer that they are happy before spending the funds, I do this as I once purchased a watch from SC, the crown fell out when I tried to set the time so I contacted the seller who said he had spent the money. I got the money back after about a week IIRC but waiting was a pain.
    I refunded a camera buyer after three weeks when he said that he could not cope with a very minor blemish on the lens that I was not even aware of. Initially he had said that he was very happy with the camera and lens, I honestly was not expecting any problems (especially after that period of time) and as far as I was concerned everything was perfect when I sent the kit. I just made the decision that I'd rather not put up with a huge forum debate about what I should or should not have done from people who were not actually a part of the sale.

If I was the seller I'd be doing everything I could to put the situation right.

In fact I'm in the middle of doing just that for a buyer who bought a watch that unbeknownst to me had a serious problem with the movement that could have caused a major problem at any point in my ownership, but didn't. I offered a refund or a repair at my expense.

It's just the decent thing to do IMO.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by schmy
    Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun
    The buyer because once again we see this "I want everything done for me" attitude that appears to permeate the very core of our society today. The SC is NOT a retail outlet. You buy used and there can be problems with used goods, both known and unknown but you do have to take some risk and you do have to TAKE SOME RESPONSIBILITY if you want to enjoy the cheaper than retail prices on SC with generally quite low risk.
    Exactly my thoughts on the matter

If you buy a car from a dealer you can expect to take it back if, for example, the power doesn't seem right.

However if you buy a car privately under warranty then you go back to the manufacturer to get it sorted, not the bloke who sold it to you.

It's within the OP's power to resolve the situation.
    +1 My thoughts exactly.

The OP can send the watch to Breitling for an under warranty repair, and the problem goes away. That's what I'd be doing in their situation.

First of all I do regret this situation both for the buyer and myself and I do want to tell my side of the story.
    I didn't own the Breitling for a long time, I synchronised the time once with my atomic clock and it was okay and keeping time.
    I do check my watches regularly. I cannot imagine the Breitling being off time and not noticing.
    But who knows what has happened? Maybe something happened during transit (magnatisme?), who knows. But that could be an explanation.

And indeed I did already spend the money....It was 5 days after I heard the watch was okay and to the buyer's expectations. Some people have no problems talking
    about other people's money and spending pattern, but we're talking about € 1900.-, not a small amount. I told this to the buyer, just to be honest.
    It's a watch with guarantee, although this is an unfortunate situation, Breitling can fix it without any problems.

I know I have learnt from this. This kind of transactions, with transits abroad etc., things I cannot control after I have shipped things, it gives me a sign and
    a strong feeling to stop with this hobby. I (for myself) know that this is something I didn't know beforehand and it's only fortunate for this watch having a full year guarantee.

Something else I think is strange....When people buy a (used) watch from a forum and so a private seller, they expect higher and more service than from a certified dealer??
    When this same watch was bought at a dealer's and there's a problem. You don't get a full refund for the watch and money to cover all the inconvinience (like going to the store,
    the time it takes, parking your car, the petrol you use etc. etc.). When it still is under guarantee, they will just sent it to the manufacturer's.

Kind regards,
    Joost
    :)

Quote Originally Posted by joost73
    First of all I do regret this situation both for the buyer and myself ...

Something else I think is strange....When people buy a (used) watch from a forum and so a private seller, they expect higher and more service than from a certified dealer??
    Kind regards,
    Joost
    :)
    Thanks for responding joost73 but I think the issue lies with your comment above about it being "strange". A lot of us on here do not think it is strange because it is the trust built up between members of this forum that it at the heart of this. We would do the right thing to see the buyer gets the watch he bought. As Plake said above, it is just the decent thing to do and if you don't understand that fact then perhaps you do need to 'stop with this hobby'.

I very nearly bought your watch but the OP beat me to it!

If you had bought it, it may still be working properly as it would have gone to a different sorting depot where the posties may have played catch with the parcel instead of footy.

Master

Well, I can't see much of a problem here. The watch is under guarnatee so Breitling should sort it out. No probs for the OP just to take it along to a local AD I wouldn't have thought?? :roll:

I can understand the money being spent by the seller. He had an acknowledgement that the watch had arrived and that all seemed in order. Most of us dont have that sort of money to just hang on to.

IMHO it's unlikely the fault occurred in transit and was probably present with the watch before it was posted, whether or not the seller was aware....we'll never know?
    Fortunately the watch is under warranty in this case (Would have been interesting if it wasn't like most watches sold on SC) so can be sorted, but if it was me I would offer some cash back of £100 or so to the buyer as a gesture of good will for the inconveniance at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by redmonaco
    Well, I can't see much of a problem here. The watch is under guarnatee so Breitling should sort it out. No probs for the OP just to take it along to a local AD I wouldn't have thought?? :roll:

I can understand the money being spent by the seller. He had an acknowledgement that the watch had arrived and that all seemed in order. Most of us dont have that sort of money to just hang on to.
    I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by shalako
    ...some cash back of £100 or so to the buyer as a gesture of good will for the inconveniance at the very least.
    As a rule I steer well clear of these sagas, but I broke it just this once to comment on some of the shaky (IMHO) ethics of some of the posters on the thread. I'm going to break it once more to say this would be a reasonable and fair way to make good the issue given all the circumstances we're aware of... again all IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by billtr96sn
    If you had bought it, it may still be working properly as it would have gone to a different sorting depot where the posties may have played catch with the parcel instead of footy.
    :lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by shalako
    IMHO it's unlikely the fault occurred in transit and was probably present with the watch before it was posted, whether or not the seller was aware....we'll never know?
    The seller has posted here and said he wasn't aware before selling, and I would accept that.

Trust should work both ways, and therefore it's "caveat emptor" :)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I know that if i sell a watch it's because I want to buy something else.. it's sensible to wait for confirmation of arrival and to make sure the buyer is happy etc.. but once that happens and funds start moving in other directions.. it's a bit tricky several days later to do anything about it.

I don't necessarily think there's absolute right and wrongs on this one.. it's a bit shades of grey all round.. I just hope it's not a situation that I ever find myself in.

No biggie. I'd be pissed if it wasn't under warranty but as it is...no worries.

If its your only watch your in the wrong place :P

Bull.

1.I am flogging this watch coz I need the money.

2.I am buying this watch coz it seems real cheap and therefore a bargain.

Master

Unwritten rules are just that - unwritten - therefore you can't demand everyone to abide by them.

I say again, caveat emptor. Buying goods via a private sale is the same here on SC as it is at car boot sale in my eyes. Any service over and above the bare minimum is a nice to have, not an absolute must :)

Who knows what has happened? Maybe something happened during transit (magnatisme?), who knows. But that could be an explanation.
    It's a watch with guarantee, although this is an unfortunate situation, Breitling can fix it without any problems.
    Why would Breitling carry out a warranty repair on a watch broken due to physical damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan
    Unwritten rules are just that - unwritten - therefore you can't demand everyone to abide by them.

I say again, caveat emptor. Buying goods via a private sale is the same here on SC as it is at car boot sale in my eyes. Any service over and above the bare minimum is a nice to have, not an absolute must :)
    its not really the same as buying at a boot sale in my eyes, for a whole range of reasons.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Who knows what has happened? Maybe something happened during transit (magnatisme?), who knows. But that could be an explanation.
    Why would Breitling carry out a warranty repair on a watch broken due to physical damage?
    Wow, you know what is wrong with the watch? Please tell the rest of us especially the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by billtr96sn
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73
    Who knows what has happened? Maybe something happened during transit (magnatisme?), who knows. But that could be an explanation ... It's a watch with guarantee, although this is an unfortunate situation, Breitling can fix it without any problems.
    Wow, you know what is wrong with the watch? Please tell the rest of us especially the OP.
    I don't. I'm merely pointing out that the seller can't claim that "maybe something happened during transit", and that Breitling will fix it. Transit damage isn't a warranty issue. The seller should reimburse the buyer if he believes that to be the case and take it up with the courier/postal service.

It may be under guarantee, but I'd be peeved if I had just bought myself a watch and had to send it to Breitling for months on end to get it to the state that I thought I was buying it in. More than a minor inconvenience IMO. :roll:

Grand Master

1. This is not eBay nor am I a retail outlet. When I sell on SC I am selling to "friends". I do favours that I wouldn't do if they weren't my friends, I extend a warranty far beyond any retailer because that's simply how I treat my friends and how I would hope they will treat me. If they're not happy I'm not happy. That said, I expect my friends to treat me with the respect I afford them and my friends are my friends because I know they wouldn't take advantage of me. Because of this relationship I sometimes bend over backwards to help if anything isn't quite to the buyer's (my friend's) autistic liking.

2. This is not eBay and I am not a retail customer. When I buy on SC I do so with trust. I trust the sellers because they are my "friends". I know they wouldn't intentionally take me for a ride so if something isn't quite right I politely let them know with all the respect that I afford all my friends. I'm not concerned because I know they'll do the right thing. Because of this relationship I sometimes bend over backwards to help if anything isn't quite to my autistic liking. [/b]

Either the above applies or we're back to the same caveat emptor that applies anywhere else and if that's the case then this thread is redundant.
    this, for me anyway, is a perfect summation of how i treat sc, and how i believe most members on here act.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Craftsman

Well i think its pretty harsh. Prior to a sale i check over a few hours all is ok but never for a long period of time. There is every chance that it could have taken a knock in transit. Also after 5 days and a positive H & V comment id also have assumed you were happy. I personally never touch the cash until after an H & V comment is left even if i have to ask for it to be done. At the end of the day it can be sent back under warranty so no major loss. As for his comment on request for refund, it may have sounded more harsh than intended given the language differences.

Send it back to Breitling and ask more questions in future. Not a villain in my book.

Niall

Banned

So did this ever get resolved, OP?
    Please be patient for a reply. His watch says it's the middle of Saturday night :P

But interestingly, this post has gone the same way all the other "Is he a villain" posts go. An OP chucks the mess in the ring and then posts elsewhere, but not on the actual thread in question since the day it was posted.

Sent it back to Breitling on Thursday and am holding my breath, hope this works out i am a little concerned and feel i have been had over ever so slightly. But it may well have happend in the post i will never know, i do know i have not done anything to cause it.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    Please be patient for a reply. His watch says it's the middle of Saturday night :P

But interestingly, this post has gone the same way all the other "Is he a villain" posts go. An OP chucks the mess in the ring and then posts elsewhere, but not on the actual thread in question since the day it was posted.
    I have posted in this post to try to answer questions, i am trying to leave others to make the minds up i have made mine. Its been a great thread for me i really appreciate every ones time and the balence they have brought to my original thourghts.

Banned

Rob, I wish you well and I really do expect the watch will be sorted under warranty.

My point has always been though, posts such as this should have started and ended in H&V.

Quote Originally Posted by robmellor
    Sent it back to Breitling on Thursday and am holding my breath, hope this works out i am a little concerned and feel i have been had over ever so slightly. But it may well have happend in the post i will never know, i do know i have not done anything to cause it.
    Well, it's under warranty so I guess either they fix it or replace it with new?
    Not if they determine it's damaged, rather than faulty.

Opinion Required re 'Villan'

I'd post a V.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Quote Originally Posted by stooo
    I'd post a V.
    He's already posted a Hero.....

Complicated...

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    Rob, I wish you well and I really do expect the watch will be sorted under warranty.

My point has always been though, posts such as this should have started and ended in H&V.
    Sorry for posting in the wrong section i now know for future refference, i did not want to put it in the HV section as i was not sure it warranted a V, but if that's were it should be fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by Guz
    Quote Originally Posted by stooo
    I'd post a V.
    He's already posted a Hero.....

Complicated...
    I have deleted my hero post !,