closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Patek Philippe 5205G is nearly a year old

My Patek Philippe 5205G is nearly a year old

I thought that while I was going crazy with my first impression of the Omega Planet Ocean Chronograph. I would dig out some photos of the above piece.
    The 5205G is an Annual Calendar in white gold, hence the "G" at the end.
    It was released at the 2010 Basel Fair and was the first straight AC with the apertures placed around the top of the dial.
    It is a 40mm piece with a convex case and "Torpedo" style lugs, which again is a first for Patek.
    An AC will correctly display the correct date apart from the end of February into March when you have to manually have to advance the date.
    The accuracy is fantastic and far exceeds any COSC criteria, at an estimate, I would say that it is loosing about 2 seconds per week. :D
    To date the only negative that I have is that in certain light the hour & minute hands can be difficult to read.

And who says that you can't go swimming, while wearing one :)

Regards
    Tony

Re: My Patek Philippe 5205G is nearly a year old

Tell me you didn't dunk it in the water. :shock:

I tried one on, and it's a lovely looker. The lugs are a work of art. Ultimately, I found it a little bit too "high" on the wrist for my taste. Gorgeous dial though.

please don't use it in water :(

I had to give it go after seeing another collector swimming with his 5970 on.

It was only the leather strap, that didn't take too kindly to being dunked.

The 5205 didn't miss a beat. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093
    Yes, we had to duff Miles up for that one...! :lol: :lol:

The 5205 is a stunner... I'm waiting for it to come out in rose gold to sit alongside my collection of rose gold PP moonphase watches, and then the new PP regulator, and then a... :roll:

Thank you for sharing a rare glimpse of a 5205 in action!

MW

8)

Really, really sorry chaps - does nothing at all for me.

Do not like the dial layout - regardless of price

Sorry,
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

nice, interesting layout of the dial in my opinion. Pateks always gets a thumbs-up from me!

In a word: stunning

Any chance of a picture of the clasp/buckle?

Hmmmn Patek are not normally my cup of tea but loving that, those lugs really are a work of art.

Of course slightly a moot point as unless my numbers come up this ones definately on the not just wish list but wish as hard as you can and still no chance list :)

Andy

My Patek Philippe 5205G is nearly a year old

This is the PP on the billboard at Edinburgh airport that I drool over every time I arrive there.
    Words can't describe how gorgeous that watch is.

Grand Master

Interesting piece and v. expensive too.....no way would I risk swimming in it because I`d be afraid of wacking it against something solid in the pool.

And what if the strap came off and it sunk :cry: ......I remember diving down for pennies as a youngster but this would be in a different league :)

Super watch...but swimming in it is crazy.

Paul

Master

Sorry to say it does nothing for me either, but glad you enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wood
    Quote Originally Posted by Topcat30093
    Yes, we had to duff Miles up for that one...! :lol: :lol:
    The 5205 is a stunner... I'm waiting for it to come out in rose gold to sit alongside my collection of rose gold PP moonphase watches, and then the new PP regulator, and then a... :roll:
    Thank you for sharing a rare glimpse of a 5205 in action!
    MW
    8)
    Thanks Mike
    Yes Miles has a lot to answer for :)
    When I saw his post, like many comments on this thread, I too couldn't believe what I had seen in his photos.
    Well I guess if it was good for him, it was good enough for me, plus life can be so boring, without a little gamble from time to time :bounce:
    What pieces, if I may ask have you got, email me if that is easier?

Snowdon, I will see if I have got a photo of the tang buckle, which I have to say is rather non plus, it dosen't even say the word Patek on the outside, only on the inside and it is normal buckle not a Calatrava Cross.
    Regards
    Tony

Lovely looking watch, however it does seem unusually thick for a PP? Is that due to the complexity of the movement?

Craftsman

I have seen one of these in an AD in Edinburgh and it is even more impressive in the flesh!!
    You lucky man :mrgreen:

lovely watch and nice pics... looking after it already for the next generation :P

Handsome watch but won't be my first choice of PP. Kudos for actually wearing it rather keeping in the sealed bag in the safe :salute:
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

Not my cup of tea, but really good to see a guy using and wearing it, swimming with it etc.

It is just a (very expensive) watch, made to be worn and used and, presumably, designed to be waterproof.

Craftsman

What a nice watch, I double dare* you to go in the water with it!

* I am not responsible for the repair costs to the watch! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Pretender2011
    sorry guys, need 50 post to have a look at the sales forum which is insane...
    Heh

Enjoy the wilderness of the banned forum matey.

Why didn't you just comment on the watch in this thread?

Do you have no opinion in PPs?

Nice watch, I can appreciate it, but as others have said it doesn't do it for me.

I know that there are people on here who dislike having a date on a watch, I find it useful, however I can never see a time where I was not sure what day of the week or month it is!! maybe if i'd been in a coma? why not have the year on there as well? :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Stunning watch. Congrats on having the balls to take her in the pool. Not sure if I would have managed that.

What's the list on these?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Green
    Nice watch, I can appreciate it, but as others have said it doesn't do it for me.

I know that there are people on here who dislike having a date on a watch, I find it useful, however I can never see a time where I was not sure what day of the week or month it is!! maybe if i'd been in a coma? why not have the year on there as well? :lol:

I think the point of complicated watches is a demonstration of horological prowess.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude

I think the point of complicated watches is a demonstration of horological prowess.

I was only having a laugh, from an engineering standpoint I find complicated watches highly impressive, to get so much into such a small package is a minor miracle.

Can't live without day on a watch.

I often lose track of the day of the week - though I do not know why.

I was only having a laugh, from an engineering standpoint I find complicated watches highly impressive, to get so much into such a small package is a minor miracle.
    Ah, OK, sorry. Sometimes it's difficult to tell with written words. Cheers.

Master
    Blog Entries

Stunning just STUNNING ,I NEED ONE!!!
    But for the wife
    :lol:
    M

I like the high bezel and I'm sure the movement is exquisite - but the look of the dial leaves me cold - I am for the most part into plain and simple. The white gold is a feature though, top choice after platinum for me.
    It's just a matter of time...

Blog Entries

A little off topic: a few months back, fellow forum member Tommie85 and myself (we live in the same town) became aware of the fact that the PP service center is located in our town! No fancy dealer, no window displays. Just an ordinary house in an ordinary street. By appointment only. I like this low profile approach and it really suits PP, I think. Most of us overhere on this forum, admire the looks and quality of any PP. On the other hand, it's not an 'in your face' watch, shouting "Look at me how expensive I am!" I like that. A lot!

In so many words: I think the 5205 looks great!

Menno

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    I like the high bezel and I'm sure the movement is exquisite - but the look of the dial leaves me cold
    Funny, innit? I love the dial, but don't like the high bezel.

Beautiful, stunning case, one I can really appreciate but would never buy.

Thank you for all the positive comments. :D

It was the height as well as the diameter that really attracted me to it. :)

The day I find is useful because working shifts including nights sometimes makes it difficult to remember what month it is let alone the day!! :)

Plus the AC is also quite a complicated movement.

The swimming thing was a one off, probably never to be repeated.

Regards
    Tony