closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: R1200GS in three days and counting....

Banned
    Blog Entries

R1200GS in three days and counting....

I am so excited. At 9am on Saturday I shall be at the dealer's door waiting for them to open. The weather looks set fair (better than that, 27 degrees), and I have navigated a 250 mile ride home via the Elan Valley and Brecon Beacons. I really cannot wait.

Re: R1200GS in three days and counting....

In a few minutes an 1150 owner will be along to tell you that you've bought an unreliable plasticky POS.... oh hang on, this isn't ukgser, is it !

Enjoy the bike, I've had mine for 3 years and I'm still liking it a lot. It's rarely this clean though.

IMG_0805_DPP by tw_tvam, on Flickr

Craftsman

Is it on a strap or rubber? Photos on Sunday please and mind those cameras.

Can't believe you've bought a lightweight, plasticky POS with bizarre wiring......

Only jealous! Ride it in good health....

Elderly 1150GSA owner, waiting for economic turnaround, some cash and a new GSA

I can remember that feeling 7 years ago when I took delivery of my R1200GS and I still have it 8,000 miles of happy ownership later.

I am lucky enough to have the space and money for other bikes that tend to come and go but my BMW is with me for keeps. As I am sure you know there are few bikes quite so versitile and as good all round.

Enjoy and ride safe :)

Master

Not a biker myself, but I applaud your celebration route. I have happy memories of drives up the Elan Valley with mates from SELOC (Lotus Owners club) in my old Elise, and with a mate retracing those steps in my old 350Z. I hope the sun shines and the road ahead's clear for you!

Banned
    Blog Entries

The last time I did the same route, it was indeed in my old 111S - the green one with the yellow wheels if you remember from SELOC? :wink:

Master

Small world, yes indeed I do remember your car. The first run I did through there was with Davey and a few of the Bournemouth BoLOCs crew. Enjoy the bike!

I love mine;

Older model though.
    It's just a matter of time...

3 days.

That's just enough time to grow a beard, join the IAM & take up smoking a pipe :wink:
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master

Quote Originally Posted by tw99
    In a few minutes an 1150 owner will be along to tell you that you've bought an unreliable plasticky POS.... oh hang on, this isn't ukgser, is it !
    Actually, it'll be an 1100 owner (the finest GS there is and the perfect balance between old tech and new tech :D )

Enjoy the 1200 - they're great bikes. And as a Ural owner, I ain't casting nasturtiums about reliability... :)

Quote Originally Posted by MMC
    OT!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Why!?

Monicas Plaice is much better!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by minkle
    OT!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Why!?

Monicas Plaice is much better!
    Equally OT...

Where's Monica's Plaice?! Love the name BTW.

A few doors away from Colley's, if you go dont ever think that you can manage a large portion of chips :shock:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by minkle
    A few doors away from Colley's, if you go dont ever think that you can manage a large portion of chips :shock:
    Ah - I know the place! If only I wasn't on a low-carb kick... :D

coincidence? Picked up mine last Friday (the one on the right)

8)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi
    coincidence? Picked up mine last Friday (the one on the right)

8)
    Nice. How are you getting on with it?

S

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    Nice. How are you getting on with it?
    love it. I've put around 350 miles on it over the weekend - motorway & A roads - and I'm really enjoying it. Very comfy riding position. An easy bike to ride :)

any excuse to go for a ride at the moment - looking out of the window and thinking should I pop out somewhere for lunch? I think so :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Seeing the beautiful weather outside, I think you should :wink:

I feel your excitement too.............I felt like that when I got mine;

Unfortunately for me the excitement soon passed and due to my lack of height and confidence I sold it 3 weeks later (at a small profit :D ) then got myself all excited for this one;

The one on the right.....much better fit for me.

Roll on Saturday.....you'll love it !

Mine says Hi!

Loved my 100GS, then my 1100GS, and absolutely love my 1200GS! You won't be able to leave home without putting at least 100 miles on it!

Congratulations - enjoy!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Nice to see so many happy owners on the forum. :D

Quote Originally Posted by pinpull
    Mine says Hi!

Loved my 100GS, then my 1100GS, and absolutely love my 1200GS! You won't be able to leave home without putting at least 100 miles on it!

Congratulations - enjoy!
    Love the Ducati Corse badge on the pannier..best thing about the bike :wink: :lol:

Seriously though, I have a couple of mates who love theirs. Wouldn't swap my Duke for one (not yet anyway).

Enjoy, you have a great weekend of weather ahead of you - am wondering if I should "unSORN" my bike for October !

Mine says Hi!

Congratulations - enjoy!
    Nice bike :)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Steve
    Love the Ducati Corse badge on the pannier..best thing about the bike :wink: :lol:

Seriously though, I have a couple of mates who love theirs. Wouldn't swap my Duke for one (not yet anyway).
    :lol: Yep, my heart said Ducati for many, many years - but once her indoors decided she liked being on the back and wanted to go with me touring, then my head said BMW! I'd also decided by that stage I was old enough for one!

Absolutely no regrets - but I'll tell you, once I win the lottery, a single-seat Desmosedici with Termignonis will join it in the garage!

However, I borrowed an R1 the other day - scared me to death!

:lol: Yep, my heart said Ducati for many, many years - but once her indoors decided she liked being on the back and wanted to go with me touring, then my head said BMW! I'd also decided by that stage I was old enough for one!

Absolutely no regrets - but I'll tell you, once I win the lottery, a single-seat Desmosedici with Termignonis will join it in the garage!

However, I borrowed an R1 the other day - scared me to death!
    ...Wife, Touring & Ducati....it can be done :)

Taken at a service station in Germany en route to the Czech Moto GP a few years ago.

Indeed, and it has been in the past for me too - I've got quite a few miles under my belt in that exact configuration, although none I'm afraid have been done with quite the same level of effortless comfort, handling, and practicality that the GS affords :), particularly when loaded two-up with luggage!

However, if the Multistrada had a centre stand, a tool to adjust the chain, and was £3K cheaper, it would definitely be my 2nd choice... :wink:

Anyway Skyman, I wish I was in your excited shoes - picking up my new bike tomorrow!

Indeed, and it has been in the past for me too - I've got quite a few miles under my belt in that exact configuration, although none I'm afraid have been done with quite the same level of effortless comfort, handling, and practicality that the GS affords :), particularly when loaded two-up with luggage!

However, if the Multistrada had a centre stand, a tool to adjust the chain, and was £3K cheaper, it would definitely be my 2nd choice... :wink:

Anyway Skyman, I wish I was in your excited shoes - picking up my new bike tomorrow!
    OOOHHH What are you getting tomorrow??

OOOHHH What are you getting tomorrow??
    Haha! Not me - Skyman! :lol:

Sorry, ambiguous wording on my part...

Banned
    Blog Entries

For those that have collected a new BMW recently, what should I expect to receive, in addition to the bike ofcourse!? With my HD I got a sizeable leather wallet/folder with cleaning materials, spare key in a box etc. I am thinking in terms of the owner's manual, tools etc not freebies. Thanks.

One more sleep. :wink:

S

A real key
    A Plastic key (the dealer may have a spare metal key - they used to give them out for a year or two them stopped again)
    Service/Instruction book
    Minimal tool kit unless a full kit has been requested/fitted -the old kit was bigger but the standard kit on my 105bhp model is fairly woeful.

I think that is it.

I've had an 1100GS an 1150GS and now have a 1200GS...

It's by far the best of the GS's.

Enjoy yourself + post some pics

Hope you've been too busy enjoying the bike to post :)

Banned
    Blog Entries

OMG, I am so pleased with the bike, and what weather to take delivery. :D Sorry, too busy riding to take pics, so they will be posted during the week.

OMG, I am so pleased with the bike, and what weather to take delivery. :D Sorry, too busy riding to take pics, so they will be posted during the week.
    Fantastic!

I think they are a real alternative to the sports bike for 90% of the time - I'm slower on the GS but it does most of what I'll ever need from a bike and with luggage even carries some shopping :)

I could have died at a touch over 80 on the motorway overtaking a car, while fully loaded (2 tents and assorted gear bungeed on, a large tank bag, full panniers and top box - oh and the missus!) - the gearbox exploded and metal bits ripped through the fuel lines and everything else under the tank - back end locked up and we slide in various states of upright to stop at the side of the road - thank goodness for years of racing offroad! But that was 2004 model and gearboxes weren't as good, so don't worry about a new one.

Fantastic!

I think they are a real alternative to the sports bike for 90% of the time - I'm slower on the GS but it does most of what I'll ever need from a bike and with luggage even carries some shopping :)

I could have died at a touch over 80 on the motorway overtaking a car, while fully loaded (2 tents and assorted gear bungeed on, a large tank bag, full panniers and top box - oh and the missus!) - the gearbox exploded and metal bits ripped through the fuel lines and everything else under the tank - back end locked up and we slide in various states of upright to stop at the side of the road - thank goodness for years of racing offroad! But that was 2004 model and gearboxes weren't as good, so don't worry about a new one.

What a fantastic weekend to pick up a new bike, congratulations.

My BMW says hi!

Cheers

Peter