closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Newbie Mistakes 101

Journeyman

Newbie Mistakes 101

So I tried to start with tinkering movements last weekend, starting with an Asian Unitas 6497. I went with this movement because it's cheap, and it's pretty much a basic movement. I can also use the reference in swisslab (http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/6497/6947.html) if I get lost in disassembling it.

The exercise I did was only until removing the canon pinion (for now). Figured I list some mistakes that I encountered (to veterans: I learn by mistakes, so don't scold me :D)

- use a movement holder. I didn't because the movement holder was supposed to arrive last week, so I figured it shouldn't be a problem. Well clumsy ol' me dropped the movement about 3 times!
    - using tweezers is not the same on this tiny parts. Too much pressure and you will suddenly launch the bugger somewhere, too less and you'll be frustrated to be dropping it all the time. Maintaining a gentle pressure is also a problem, so I'm cutting back my coffee intake (not an easy task with the work that I do! :D)
    - buy the nicest screw driver you can buy. I didn't, so I'm buying another set again :cry:
    - never trust the hairspring. Really.

That's all for now!

Re: Newbie Mistakes 101

Quote Originally Posted by lantis
    …. Well clumsy ol' me dropped the movement about 3 times
    …. Too much pressure and you will suddenly launch the bugger somewhere
    never trust the hairspring. Really!
    Been there, done that :D

…. so I'm cutting back my coffee intake
    I’m always enjoying a beer on the side to keep me calm….

…. Please note a beer, because a few beers more will get you back to point 1,2,3 again (plus might add some personal injuries as well :lol: )

Journeyman

So I tried to start with tinkering movements last weekend, starting with an Asian Unitas 6497. I went with this movement because it's cheap, and it's pretty much a basic movement. I can also use the reference in swisslab (http://www.eta.ch/swisslab/6497/6947.html) if I get lost in disassembling it.

The exercise I did was only until removing the canon pinion (for now). Figured I list some mistakes that I encountered (to veterans: I learn by mistakes, so don't scold me :D)

- use a movement holder. I didn't because the movement holder was supposed to arrive last week, so I figured it shouldn't be a problem. Well clumsy ol' me dropped the movement about 3 times!
    - using tweezers is not the same on this tiny parts. Too much pressure and you will suddenly launch the bugger somewhere, too less and you'll be frustrated to be dropping it all the time. Maintaining a gentle pressure is also a problem, so I'm cutting back my coffee intake (not an easy task with the work that I do! :D)
    - buy the nicest screw driver you can buy. I didn't, so I'm buying another set again :cry:
    - never trust the hairspring. Really.

That's all for now!
    Do you have a favorite source for tools?
    Thanks!

Craftsman

I’m always enjoying a beer on the side to keep me calm….

But one beer leads to many more or I sulk Like a baby

Eric

Banned

You shouldnt be meddling with the hairspring if your a newbie to the 6497.

I learnt by using the exact same website, but instead of delving right in you could try some basic hand co-ordination tasks like picking small screws up and placing them in a line, then move them into a different shape and so on....Its all about hand eye co-ordination. Once you feel confident it should all become a piece of pi.....

When I had to do a bench test I knew that a coffee wasnt any help, neither a beer so instead I opted for some Rescue Remedy :lol:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O.
    Do you have a favorite source for tools?
    Thanks!
    Not really favorites, but I bought tools from http://www.watch-tool.de, http://www.watchtool.co.uk and the bay. I'll try to buy from cousinsuk next for the oils, unless someone can suggest where to buy cheaper, smaller quantities..?

Quote Originally Posted by ibby7
    You shouldnt be meddling with the hairspring if your a newbie to the 6497.
    I shouldn't, but in putting back the canon pinion I wasn't confident that I can put it back without damaging the minute wheel so I removed the setting lever jumper to remove the minute wheel and you know what happened next :D

Quote Originally Posted by ibby7
    I learnt by using the exact same website, but instead of delving right in you could try some basic hand co-ordination tasks like picking small screws up and placing them in a line, then move them into a different shape and so on....Its all about hand eye co-ordination. Once you feel confident it should all become a piece of pi.....
    Well lesson learned, and as I said, I learn by mistakes :D

When I was learning, I was told that 50% of watch repair is knowing how to handle tweezers and screwdrivers properly. A good exercise is to remove the screws from the top plate, then replace them (so remove a screw, put it on the work surface, then pick it up and replace it). Do it for all the screws a few times and you'll get some idea of pressure.

Buy a pot of loose screws from eBay, if (when) you lose your screws, you have a chance of finding a repalcement.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O.

Not really favorites, but I bought tools from http://www.watch-tool.de, http://www.watchtool.co.uk and the bay. I'll try to buy from cousinsuk next for the oils, unless someone can suggest where to buy cheaper, smaller quantities..?
    Thank you, I'll check them out! I suppose knowing what you're shopping for is half the battle.

Craftsman

Newbie Mistakes 101

been there, done that. A good set of tools is essential when messing with movements!