closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Auto - Had the spa treatment

Omega Auto - Had the spa treatment

I have kept my father’s old Omega Automatic in my sock draw since it was left to me after he died in 1987. Five or so years ago I tried wearing it, but didn’t keep time, and the hands were loose. If you knocked it even slightly the time would change!

Anyhow, after stumbling across it again a short while back tucked under the Y-Fronts, I decided to give it the spa treatment over at STS. I sent it in for an estimate and judging by the response, it must have needed just about everything sorting internally.
    I decided to go ahead and have the work carried out. A few weeks later it was returned to me with a new crystal and hands. It also had the winder replaced with the correct signed version. It uses the calibre 562 movement, which is the non-quick set date auto movement, which STS serviced. The dial has some tell-tale signs of age, with a few spots here and there. STS did suggest a dial restoration, however I thought that would remove too much of its history. It has a 9ct. gold case with a pressed fit back. This was polished by STS and came up beautifully. I also had a new black calf leather Omega strap and buckle fitted to complete the original look.

The watch keeps very good time now, which is amazing as the serial number dates it to 1965. I was two when Dad bought this. I cannot remember a day when he didn’t have it on his wrist. I keep it on a winder now so that I do not have to wind it through to set the date, and wear it regularly. I am very pleased with it now and although the work was expensive, I feel that it was most definitely worth doing.

Anyway enough of my sentimental ramblings! Here’s another picture.

Grand Master

Re: Omega Auto - Had the spa treatment

thats a beauty!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

STS did suggest a dial restoration
    :shock:

Glad you decided against this. As you rightly said, that would be removing too much of the history. You definitely did the right thing IMHO.

Cheers

Foggy

That looks really nice. Those 60's omega's have a timeless quality about them. It is unfortunately the case that a full restoration often exceeds the value of the watch. I am only assuming that however based on the sticker prices on these watches in Austin-Kaye!

Master

Thats lovely,i definately agree with Foggy about leaving dial as is.The 'patina' gives a sense of history that full restoration could easily erase.

Absolutely stunning. A great story and a great watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy
    STS did suggest a dial restoration
    :shock:

Glad you decided against this. As you rightly said, that would be removing too much of the history. You definitely did the right thing IMHO.

Cheers

Foggy
    Yes, that would have been a step too far. I am happy that I didn't take the total restoration route.

One of the reasons that I'm really pushing to get myself a very nice watch is so that I can leave my kids something when i'm gone.
    My father had several seiko's(mostly 5's) but nothing of this calibre.
    That watch will always be wearable.

STS do some outstanding work I have to say. Im glad you didnt go for the dial restoration. Like you said, it would take away a lot of the history the fine watch had with your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    ......It is unfortunately the case that a full restoration often exceeds the value of the watch......
    You're not wrong. I think that it is only when you have the sentimental link to the piece that it makes sense to make the outlay.

Craftsman

Great story great watch

Thabnks for sharing your story. Its what makes this forum great.

That does look lovely. My Dad's got a nice 50's Omega (His birth year watch), I always pinch it when I'm home, it got a few nice comments as well.