closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Plant Ocean 2011

Omega Plant Ocean 2011

I tried on the 45mm Planet Ocean today with the 8500 movement. It felt good and I loved seeing the movement on the back. I understand what a lot of people have said about the bezel movement. Not as smooth as my SubC. That said overall I thought the watch was outstanding and I will be getting one. One question though. It was quite heavy (not the chrono one). Does anyone know the weight?

Re: Omega Plant Ocean 2011

Quote Originally Posted by awright101
    I tried on the 45mm Planet Ocean today with the 8500 movement. It felt good and I loved seeing the movement on the back. I understand what a lot of people have said about the bezel movement. Not as smooth as my SubC. That said overall I thought the watch was outstanding and I will be getting one. One question though. It was quite heavy (not the chrono one). Does anyone know the weight?
    It will weigh a lot more than your wallet after buying one of these @ £3800, it's just nuts imo at least.

Master

I think it's well priced for a luxury product made in Switzerland. POs are not as under-priced as they used to be, but they're still miles cheaper than a Sub-C...

Omega Plant Ocean 2011

Under-priced???

Master

Yep, I think the old ones were under priced plus they got discounted too much. If you look at it from Omegas's point of view, and what they're now doing to increase the price/status of an Omega watch, it harmed the brand.

I tried one on in Berrys Newcastle the other day and the triangle on the bezel could not be made to line up exactly with the 12 marker. Its a fraction out! For that sort of money they need to get the details right.
    Tim

Grand Master

Over-priced and far too big a watch to be sensible........part with your money at your peril.

Smell the coffee.....save up a bit more dosh and buy a Rolex Sub C; forget the 45mm crap, you DON`T need a watch that size if you're human.

Paul

Master

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958
    Over-priced and far too big a watch to be sensible........part with your money at your peril.

Smell the coffee.....save up a bit more dosh and buy a Rolex Sub C; forget the 45mm crap, you DON`T need a watch that size if you're human.
    A luxury watch is never about need, always want ;)

I think Omega are great watches, some of their finer finishing especially on the bracelets and bezels is not up to Rolex standards but Rolex is not immune and has QC issues of their own. My Deepsea had lint on the dial which St James had to remove. IMHO the new Omega movements especially the 9300 is an exceptional bit of kit and is arguably a better movement than Rolex and thus putting them on an even keel. Omega had to raise prices as everyone else was or they would risk losing their exclusivity and just become another Tag Bell & Ross, Ball etc.

If you want a good deal those PO,s on SC are great at under 2k fir a watch with an in house movement that will be within three seconds a day.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt
    I think Omega are great watches, some of their finer finishing especially on the bracelets and bezels is not up to Rolex standards but Rolex is not immune and has QC issues of their own. My Deepsea had lint on the dial which St James had to remove. IMHO the new Omega movements especially the 9300 is an exceptional bit of kit and is arguably a better movement than Rolex and thus putting them on an even keel. Omega had to raise prices as everyone else was or they would risk losing their exclusivity and just become another Tag Bell & Ross, Ball etc.

If you want a good deal those PO,s on SC are great at under 2k fir a watch with an in house movement that will be within three seconds a day.
    It's an ETA movement with an escapement designed by a privateer Englishman 30 years ago. Nice watch, but in no accepted sense is it "in-house".

I agree with the earlier comments about the 46mm size. Flash and blingy, and manages to look much larger than the 3-4mm difference between that and the 42mm version might suggest. And in the newer ceramicked guise, about an inch thick!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Will it not weigh about 200-220g??????? surely a watch that size must weigh a fair bit!

Master

I tried on the Planet Ocean chrono this week - the new version with the "bi-compax" display, with the two handed minutes and hours accumulator.

I had thought it might make a good travel/business watch - easy to reset the independent hour hand on crossing time zones; intuitive to read elapsed time - ideal for when you're part way through an intercontinental flight, at night, and wondering how long you have to go.

But, whilst it's a nice watch, and the chrono display is easy to read, approximately at a glance, the gap between the 60 minute chrono markers on a sub dial of around 10 cm diameter, which must be around 0.5mm and probably half the width of the chrono hand tip, makes it too hard to read accurately. It's a nice idea, but you have very acute eyesight (and if you do then you're probably too young to buy one of these!) then you'd be a lot better off buying a Solar impulse or Aqua Terra GMT Chrono, or, if you don't mind quartz, a 251.262 based chrono like the Breitlng M1 or the Revue Thommen Airspeed.

Paul
    I think you missed that i've already got a SubC. i take it that you like small watches!

The 'old' PO is looking better and better.

Paul
    Nothing like having a strong opinion then! Yes be sensible and get a Rolex like everyone else, how dare you consider anything but. :roll:

That's a beautiful but very expensive watch

Amazing watches but spending that kind of money I'll stick with Rolex....

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan

A luxury watch is never about need, always want ;)
    Totally agree. I imagine many people face criticism/banter from friends and family for splashing out on watches and other extravagant things.

"You don't NEED that" or "What do you NEED that for?"

That fact is most of the time I don't - but I sure as hell WANT it!