closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Planet Ocean

Master

New Planet Ocean

Tried the new ones in the Omega Boutique in NYC. The regular ones are pretty much as per the old ones except with the display back, and the chrono ones are much better looking these days. I also got to try the blue one which is only available for pre-order just now - a lovely looking watch and very light due to being Ti. For a second I was thinking I might order one. Then I turned the bezel...

The bezel action is an absolute disgrace. I mean genuinely embarrassing for a watch of these prices. Some of them didn't align properly and had slack between the clicks. It was one thing when they were £2k or so (although still poor considering the bezel feel of a £150 Seiko 007), but the chronos were £5k+ and the blue one was pegged at about £6k I think. That's just mental.

It's one thing moaning about Rolex prices (and I do) but their build quality is superb. I really can't believe Omega have the front to put these things out at the prices and not have even sorted the clonky bezel!

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Re: New Planet Ocean

I tried new big one last week. Big chunky-impressed. But didnt turn bezel, so hope its a one off?
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

Well not 100% surprised. I love the action on the current SMP300's though ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

I have seen the new PO in M & W and while I thought the new version was an improvement, it did not feel as if it was worth £3650, which I think may now have went up to £3800 :shock:
    I can't help thinking that at nearly £4K it could be a mistake to try and squeeze that kind of money for this watch, as buyers may well look elsewhere.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mrcrowley
    I tried new big one last week. Big chunky-impressed. But didnt turn bezel, so hope its a one off?
    Well it wasn't a one off as all 4 I tried were the same. Arguably could be display models get more use, but still - not acceptable.

Grand Master

Have you become used to using inner bezels, like on the AP diver :D

Master

On another thread about the new PO range prior to the launch, someone was asking about prices and I replied that whatever they would cost, it would be too much. Someone came back with a slightly snooty and questioning reply about my statement but clearly I am not alone in thinking that Omega's prices have gone somewhat stratospheric. I remember thinking that maybe I could afford a new PO at one stage, but these days that seems an absurd thought.

I still think they will sell by the bucket load at the price though :mrgreen:
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    Oh absolutely.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic

As i've said before, Omega have the best set up in the UK, you can go down any main high street and find them available, in the shops and huge 0% finance signs everywhere. That's a huge selling point for most people, easy access, big name and credit available.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    The bezel action is an absolute disgrace. I mean genuinely embarrassing for a watch of these prices. Some of them didn't align properly and had slack between the clicks. It was one thing when they were £2k or so (although still poor considering the bezel feel of a £150 Seiko 007), but the chronos were £5k+ and the blue one was pegged at about £6k I think. That's just mental.
    I have the new chrono and the bezel alignment is perfect, plus there's no slack between the clicks. Maybe the pre-production models you saw had issues or excessive wear?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    I have the new chrono and the bezel alignment is perfect, plus there's no slack between the clicks. Maybe the pre-production models you saw had issues or excessive wear?
    Only the blue one was pre-production, the others were regular current models. Interestingly it was the black chrono that I specifically remember those "features" on, but yes, it could be from excessive use by over-enthusistic shoppers. Still, not a fan of the feel of the bezel feel, even on the tighter ones, but that's my only non-price related gripe, they are very nice watches otherwise. I felt the chrono in particular is a big improvement over the old ones.

Master

I agree - I think the new one is stunning, but the price does wince a bit. Had to have one though.

Interesting that several bezels were "iffy" - teething problems for the first production batch? Or I got lucky!

Master

I haven't tried the latest models, but IMO the PO and SMP bezel 'action' has always been on the 'cheap' side.

Another feature that I don't like is the bulky overengineered bracelets - with no micro adjustment, and friction pins (FFS!). Do the new ones have screws?

Nice looking watches, had three SMPs and a PO, and still have a SMP, but for me they have always felt cheaper than Rolex and even Breitling.

Now that people bitch about the price of Rolexes I would point them at both Breitling and Omega, compared to which IMO Rolex appear to be 'relatively' good value.
    A mid range B'ling or Omega these days in nigh on £4k to £5k RRP (for in house movement) - frightning - but that's life. If you don't want to pay then go elsewhere.

As an aside a friend last night commented that he had just worked out what a Breitling was, as a mate of his has used it in his Twitter signature for the last year. Another friend commented back to him, that they are expensive watches. He's sort of right - cheap by some standards, but expensive by others - see above.......

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ASW1
    Another feature that I don't like is the bulky overengineered bracelets - with no micro adjustment, and friction pins (FFS!). Do the new ones have screws?
    Yes :)

But still no micro adjustment I understand.

Master

Hurrrraaaah, but of course at a cost. A major step in the right direction. Perviously only on their more expensive pieces, but I guess that now applies here too. I'm glad they have done this as it was a major deficiency IMO.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mylofitz
    But still no micro adjustment I understand.
    Boooooooo!

Master

Nope, no micro adjustment. Just half links.

Master

still not even a micro adjustment when the DSSD has the wonderful glidelock clasp? Poor and I wanted a PO next. :cry:

dunmow70

I have the new 45.5 non-chrono PO and the bezel has no slop in it what so ever, it's lovely and tight.

The bracelet is one of the most comfortable I have ever had the pleasure of wearing, to the point I don't know I am wearing it.

I love it :)

Master

My post wasn't written with the intention to put down anyone's fav watch, although it wasn't particularly cleverly worded in retrospect, so sorry if it came across wrong. However, it is interesting to note the lack of what could be a fairly basic micro-adjustment in the bracelet. Far "higher end" brands also suffer from this (Patek/Audemars) but you'd think with Omega presumably aiming at the Rolex spot their strategy would be to produce a properly comparable product at a price that undercuts Rolex, albeit not by so much that it has a negative effect on the brand's image. I think micro-adjustment is just such an important issue on a bracelet I can't for the life of me understand anyone leaving it out these days, especially when they are going to the bother of re-working their bracelet design anyway. On the bezel issue, I assume the slack bezels had been over-played with, but I still don't think the feel was great in comparison to much of the competition (to my taste anyway). I guess they know what they're doing, but it just seems a bit counter-intuitive to me. We know these things (bezel feel, micro-adjustment) cost so little to get right and add so much to the feeling of quality and wearability why would you give anyone a reason to find issue with these elements of your product?

I just can't see myself being able to afford one of those new ones :-(

I have to say that I tried one on and really liked it. Made a nice change to my Rolexes. However it is very thick and heavy.Not sure if I can pull the trigger. I had a deepsea and had to move that on due to the weight.