closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Heuer Silverstone

Heuer Silverstone

Introducing the vintage Heuer Silverstone Red and Fume variants from 1974. I am missing the third in this series (Blue dial) and the often forgotten and overlooked Lemania 5100 version from around 1984. The Fume dial is possibly the most photogenic watch I have ever owned and one I wear most often. They are a joy to behold and epitomize the originality of 1970's design. How many watches have you seen with a Red dial once again illustrating the bravado of Jack Heuer and what makes collecting vintage Heuer watches an obsession. Have you got the bug?
    regards
    Paul
    http://www.heuerworld.com

Re: Heuer Silverstone

Great pics Paul
    They are wonderful watches
    I had the pleasure of meeting a fellow collector recently for a bite to eat and viewing his trio of Silverstone colours. I used to favour red but think fume is my current favourite

Bloody cracking pics Paul, the watches ain't bad either. :wink:

James.

Master

Cracking pictures, and look to be in super condition. I am also in the fume camp. The colour is subliminal. 8)

Banned

I'm going to have to re-photo my Fume now, my pics look rubbish compare to those.. you are the master Paul.

Thanks for sharing :thumbleft:

Not my cup of tea if we're talking preferences however I can totally understand the attraction. The dial is the perfect colour and very legible. The case is well matched and the the bracelet too. Your photos show the watch to be in great condition :)

Andy

Blog Entries

Me like these, one of the very few Heuers I'd have...... Might go looking now :(

Great pics of a lovely watch. thanks for sharing !

Si

Craftsman

saved this pic already for a very long time because i like it soooooooooooo much :love4: :love4:

Master

I love the Silverstone's and hope to own one, one day.

That fume is a beauty, though I think the brown dial may be my favourite.

Master

Other than dial colour wise, are there different models of these and what are the differences?

I ask because I've seen a brown dial with cam2111, but having a model as 6259 and then another as 6177 or 6137 i'm not quite sure.

Thanks

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Antony23
    Other than dial colour wise, are there different models of these and what are the differences?

I ask because I've seen a brown dial with cam2111, but having a model as 6259 and then another as 6177 or 6137 i'm not quite sure.

Thanks
    i don't know enough about them know that there are different model but how many???
    just google and you will find more info

Banned

Are you confusing vintage with re-editions? When you say Brown, what do you mean?

There were 3 vintage models - Blue, Red, and Fume (Smoke/Brown) Later on, Heuer released the Lemania driven version pictured above. (Ricks photo)

The TAG Heuer (signed Heuer) re-issues a few years ago were blue and brown. (Although there was a one off red version (signed dial - Jack Heuer) made for the Bonhams auction with proceeds to charity.

For a laymans identification.. the Vintage Silverstones have fluted pushers, 'Swiss' above the date window, and the date window does not 'cut' into the outer hour marker ring.
    The re-issues have a glass caseback too.

These are the re-issues: http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/SearchR...rstone&x=0&y=0

These are the original vintage models: http://www.calibre11.com/silverstone-family/

I love these vintage Silverstones and was on the lookout for one a while ago. I was offered a few, mostly at stratospheric prices but they all had bright white replacement hands. The OP's are gorgeous because the hands match the lume on the dial. thanks for sharing.

Banned

From my experience, the hand lume on these are pretty good, they patina slowly, unlike some that go dark quickly. Both of mine have original hand lume & are a nice vintage cream-brown colour with a hint of green. It's not uncommon to see some with much paler hand lume compared to hour baton lume. (Of course, re-luming may have been done to some)

Master

I've got this one - Know as the poor man's Silverstone - I'm pretty content being poor :lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by europa

Are you confusing vintage with re-editions? When you say Brown, what do you mean?

There were 3 vintage models - Blue, Red, and Fume (Smoke/Brown) Later on, Heuer released the Lemania driven version pictured above. (Ricks photo)

The TAG Heuer (signed Heuer) re-issues a few years ago were blue and brown. (Although there was a one off red version (signed dial - Jack Heuer) made for the Bonhams auction with proceeds to charity.

For a laymans identification.. the Vintage Silverstones have fluted pushers, 'Swiss' above the date window, and the date window does not 'cut' into the outer hour marker ring.
    The re-issues have a glass caseback too.

These are the re-issues: http://www.watchfinder.co.uk/SearchR...rstone&x=0&y=0

These are the original vintage models: http://www.calibre11.com/silverstone-family/
    Cheers, thanks for taking the time to give me some pointers.

I think it's the re-issues I've seen with slightly different numbers.

Journeyman

Paul,

Stunning pics as usual, guaranteed to inspire "Want!"
    Regarding red, and possible regarding sheer stainless steel content, I've got to stick up for my Primeros:

PS, that Lemania with the herringbone dial is quite a looker!

Quote Originally Posted by LouS
    Paul,

Stunning pics as usual, guaranteed to inspire "Want!"
    Regarding red, and possible regarding sheer stainless steel content, I've got to stick up for my Primeros:

PS, that Lemania with the herringbone dial is quite a looker!
    Lou, I would expect nothing less. There are subtle and not so subtle links between Zenith and Heuer and I guess thats why I keep looking at Zenith and you at Heuer. In my book UG is the third "musketeer".

The Lemania with herring bone is certainly a fine dial. There were a spate of these signed Heuer comming to market in the last year but the general consensus was that Heuer never made this version only the Lemania one pictured by Rick.

regards
    Paul

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG

Lou, I would expect nothing less. There are subtle and not so subtle links between Zenith and Heuer and I guess thats why I keep looking at Zenith and you at Heuer. In my book UG is the third "musketeer".

regards
    Paul
    The same thing has struck me, as if two schoolboys were sneaking furtive glances onto one another's examination pages. I guess it ought to be little surprise that the two houses kept an eye on one another since their fierce competition in making their respective automatic chronograph movements in 1969 until American Zenith dealt Swiss Zenith the death-blow in 1975. The position of UG is interesting. IMO, its period of greatness lay in the decades prior, and Zenith's snatching their movement producer Martel out from under them in 1960 guaranteed their slow decline and Zenith's somewhat more rapid ascent in the chronograph market. Their models from the 1970s seem not really innovative, and simply updates of what had gone before although - to be clear - no less attractive for that!

I love the look of this. No shame in being poor if this is the result 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr A
    I've got this one - Know as the poor man's Silverstone - I'm pretty content being poor :lol:

Never seen one before and it looks really impressive and with great photographs.

Heuer Silverstone

That's a seriously nice piece.

Was going to say that there is a Heuer shaped hole in my collection, but that hole has now been filled tonight. :)

Malc

I'd never heard of the Silverstone before the re-issues but absolutely love it!

Maybe, one of these days!

Got to love a Silverstone.

fantastic colours, the fume is very period.

I must get me one of those.

J