closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: PRS-5

PRS-5

I've been thinking about buying one for a while, and just in the last few minutes decided to bite the bullet, and it's out of stock :( .
    This watch isn't an LE of any kind is it? Can anyone confirm that there are more due in stock any time soon?

Re: PRS-5

I think I recall Eddie saying that there will be another batch in due course.... your wait will be worth it :D

Just make sure you spend the extra few ££'s and buy the display back. Beautiful watch.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE
    I think I recall Eddie saying that there will be another batch in due course.... your wait will be worth it :D

Just make sure you spend the extra few ££'s and buy the display back. Beautiful watch.
    That was certainly the plan, nice to hear there are more coming soon, hope it's not too long I have a roving eye and very little will power :(

Master

You can always put up a WTB ad or scour the Sales Corner for one.

Very distinctive watch, I had one on the passaround that we did and it was up there as one of my favourites, never owned one though. Hmmm you got me thinking now - you better be quick in that sales corner... :lol:

Mine came form the sales corner, really good thing and certainly worth waiting for but they do come up for sale from time to time.

They were out of stock when I first wanted one. My partner brought me mine for Christmas. It is well worth waiting for and IMHO looks really good on Eddie's new 'yet another Bond' NATO. When I researched other people's reviews of the PRS5, some thought it too thick. Its certainly not thin, but I've never had any problems, and it fits under a shirt cuff with no problem. Recommended.

There is a great review in the reviews section!

I've been looking at this watch for a while too. It does seem a little thick, but my main concern is the acrylic crystal. I appreciate it's supposed to be a vintage design, but I'd much prefer sapphire so it always looks good and there is less maintenance. Any owners have thoughts on this? I love the design.

Why do you need 25 posts before you can view the reviews section? Bizarre. I understand the restriction on Sales Corner but why Reviews ? It would make more sense to make it read-only to new members.

You can find a link to Ewan's excellent review of the PRS5 in this earlier forum post. Its well worth reading if you're considering buying.

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

The review that you can't see due to your post count is also excellent - so something to look forward to.

I've read that the acrylic crystal was chosen for the original due to its toughness when compared to glass or sapphire crystal, its less prone to shattering and whilst easier to scratch they can be polished out far more easily. I also like the way in which the dial is slightly distorted by the crystal when seen from an angle, in my view the high domed crystal minimises this when you view the dial full on. Others say that acrylic crystal gains a warmth over time (I haven't had my PRS5 long enough to notice yet). The other factor to take into consideration is that the acrylic crystal is in keeping with the original models.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by lostguy
    I've been looking at this watch for a while too. It does seem a little thick, but my main concern is the acrylic crystal. I appreciate it's supposed to be a vintage design, but I'd much prefer sapphire so it always looks good and there is less maintenance. Any owners have thoughts on this? I love the design.

Why do you need 25 posts before you can view the reviews section? Bizarre. I understand the restriction on Sales Corner but why Reviews ? It would make more sense to make it read-only to new members.
    Acrylic vs Sapphire? I think you have to try for yourself to make your mind up. I was firmly a sapphire man and also have the double domed sapphire PRS29B, but I think on balance that for domed crystals on watches like these acrylic is the way to go. Domed and especially double-domed sapphire is very expensive (read £100+ for DD) also it's heavy compared to acrylic and can also shatter or chip (rarely of course). But I think aesthetically acrylic is far better on the PRS5, the acrylic makes a nice click when flicked whereas a sapphire makes a very dull thud. I like to see acrylic scratch up a little, shows it's a working watch - you'll be amazed how good polywatch works to remove scratches, not to mention the satisfaction for doing so. At the end of the day the PRS5 is a great value £200 chrono watch - would it have the same allure if it was £350? probably not. Good luck with your decision, it's a lovely little watch and fairly unique in design, not many come up in sales corner which is a good testament.

Hmmm 25 posts to see a review of a watch sees a little odd but please keep on posting you'll be there in no time.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Walnuts
    I've been thinking about buying one for a while, and just in the last few minutes decided to bite the bullet, and it's out of stock :( .
    This watch isn't an LE of any kind is it? Can anyone confirm that there are more due in stock any time soon?

Mate,
    You are not the only one, I been waiting patiently too, let's hope it's not too long now
    :)

Eric

I've also been looking at the PRS-5, it does look a tiny bit too thick, but still a beauty

Master

I had the PRS-5 in the passaround. It is a couple of mm larger than many other watches at 14.75mm thick, however the proportions are good and it somehow does not wear that thick as you have a high dome crystal giving the height. I prefered mine on a nato and this raises it another 2mm or so but it was always wearable. I suspect you'll need a strap to wear with a shirt but I also found that without a bezel it slides under cuffs quite well. In summary it's well proportioned and does not wear as high as the figures suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Tuttle
    You can find a link to Ewan's excellent review of the PRS5 in this earlier forum post. Its well worth reading if you're considering buying.

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

The review that you can't see due to your post count is also excellent - so something to look forward to.

I've read that the acrylic crystal was chosen for the original due to its toughness when compared to glass or sapphire crystal, its less prone to shattering and whilst easier to scratch they can be polished out far more easily. I also like the way in which the dial is slightly distorted by the crystal when seen from an angle, in my view the high domed crystal minimises this when you view the dial full on. Others say that acrylic crystal gains a warmth over time (I haven't had my PRS5 long enough to notice yet). The other factor to take into consideration is that the acrylic crystal is in keeping with the original models.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler

Acrylic vs Sapphire? I think you have to try for yourself to make your mind up. I was firmly a sapphire man and also have the double domed sapphire PRS29B, but I think on balance that for domed crystals on watches like these acrylic is the way to go. Domed and especially double-domed sapphire is very expensive (read £100+ for DD) also it's heavy compared to acrylic and can also shatter or chip (rarely of course). But I think aesthetically acrylic is far better on the PRS5, the acrylic makes a nice click when flicked whereas a sapphire makes a very dull thud. I like to see acrylic scratch up a little, shows it's a working watch - you'll be amazed how good polywatch works to remove scratches, not to mention the satisfaction for doing so. At the end of the day the PRS5 is a great value £200 chrono watch - would it have the same allure if it was £350? probably not. Good luck with your decision, it's a lovely little watch and fairly unique in design, not many come up in sales corner which is a good testament.

Hmmm 25 posts to see a review of a watch sees a little odd but please keep on posting you'll be there in no time.
    cheers guys

Now to wait for it to come back in stock!

Craftsman

It certainly is a very nice looking watch, such a shame it's still OOS though. :(

The review linked above is an excellent read. :)

Craftsman

The PRS-5 is a fine looking watch and the display back is a visual bonus.
    As to the crystal; whilst I would always prefer sapphire; acrylic or mineral are never deal-breakers for me if the watch is good enough. It is.

Master

I had one and the height got to me and I let someone else have, much as Eddie would hate I wonder if it could be fitted with an aftermarket lower profile crystal? I remember when I changed the hands on my 53 Eddies response was something along the lines that it should be smashed with a hammer.

Craftsman

Dear Pardner,
    Everyone has different opinion for aesthetics, unless there is a good reason for a high profile glass, changing to a lower one would do no harm but pleased your aesthetics taste. I know because I am an architect, and my job is to sell my aesthetics/ideas/details to my clients and sometimes we don't see eye to eye but it's ok if both of us meet halfway.

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler
    I had the PRS-5 in the passaround. It is a couple of mm larger than many other watches at 14.75mm thick, however the proportions are good and it somehow does not wear that thick as you have a high dome crystal giving the height. I prefered mine on a nato and this raises it another 2mm or so but it was always wearable. I suspect you'll need a strap to wear with a shirt but I also found that without a bezel it slides under cuffs quite well. In summary it's well proportioned and does not wear as high as the figures suggest.

Nice appraisal Dazzler and I agree with everything you say. The lack of bezel means It does slip under a shirt cuff - indeed, the PRS18 which is a couple of mm thinner is much more awkward. The beauty of the 5 is that it can be dressed up or down with a NATO or smarter leather strap - it's very flexible.

Surprised this is still going, would be great if Eddie, or someone else from timefactors were to drop in here and give us an eta....

Surprised this is still going, would be great if Eddie, or someone else from timefactors were to drop in here and give us an eta....
    I was thinking the same.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I was thinking the same.

Eddie
    So it's not happening, or you're not telling?

I was thinking the same.

Eddie
    Walnuts, you really are nuts! :D
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    I was thinking the same.

Eddie
    Have I committed some kind of Faux Pas?

As you can see I'm not exactly a regular around here so I'm not sure how this is supposed to work, but I am a potential paying customer :?

Mine's currently in SC for anyone who can't wait for a new one.
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=193044

Quote Originally Posted by magirus
    I was thinking the same.

Eddie
    Have I committed some kind of Faux Pas?

As you can see I'm not exactly a regular around here so I'm not sure how this is supposed to work, but I am a potential paying customer :?
    Twas a joke! Just do a search of Eddies replies to folks enquiring about the status of watch products! :idea:
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman

Back in stock. Price is higher but to be expected and still great value for money.

Banned

This is one I would like to try one day :)

Craftsman

Is the PRS 5 the same spec as before ?

Of course.
    Had one two years ago and "lost" it in a trade.

Just minutes ago I ordered a fresh one from our host.
    Cheers
    Brane

Just saw these back on the menu.

Mmmm.... <ponders>

Paul

Well Paul-san - don't ponder, just pounce! :D

I'll be wearing mine in a few hours ... who could have said no to such a pretty face:

(Pic is (c) from Ewan Wilson's fabulous review on watcharama)

Brane

I'm just looking for the ex-VAT price :wink:

Paul, hoping the glitch doesn't get him for that one ...

I see. I'm blessed with living in the EU.
    With Eddies first watch, the Speedbird, this was not the case yet - so I was facing the very problem You're facing now ... :(
    Oyasuminasai
    Brane

I recently purchased a pre-owned, but absolutely immaculate PRS-5 and am totally delighted with it. I am happy with the thickness and the acrylic crystal and the ONLY change that I might wish to make would be for the thicker section of the minutes hand to be a little longer. This might cover the numbers as it passes, but to my slightly failing eyes it would make it easier to read... I guess age doesn't help. Overall though, a gem of a watch and a pleasure to wear.... great creation Eddie.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinShepherd
    I recently purchased a pre-owned, but absolutely immaculate PRS-5 and am totally delighted with it. I am happy with the thickness and the acrylic crystal and the ONLY change that I might wish to make would be for the thicker section of the minutes hand to be a little longer. This might cover the numbers as it passes, but to my slightly failing eyes it would make it easier to read... I guess age doesn't help. Overall though, a gem of a watch and a pleasure to wear.... great creation Eddie.
    They are the kind of details one has to look out for as one gets older. I am in the same boat. You have to watch the lengths of the hands and white hands with white dials are definitely out too. :(

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

I never actually ordered this in the end, I was a little worried about the lug to lug of 45mm and the diameter of 39mm. I have approximately 7.5 inch wrists, can someone reassure me that it won't look too small? Any pictures of the watch on similar size wrists would be appreciated

I never actually ordered this in the end, I was a little worried about the lug to lug of 45mm and the diameter of 39mm. I have approximately 7.5 inch wrists, can someone reassure me that it won't look too small? Any pictures of the watch on similar size wrists would be appreciated
    I have watches of varying sizes, and when I change them in rotation they initially feel a liitle strange for an hour or two but the perception factor soon wears off and the watch always feels fine.
    F.T.F.A.

looks would be completed with a crow's foot and luninova mark? surely saphire with quartz or auto option? Really love it, seagulls:)

It wears bigger as the face is all dial.

I love the PRS-5... got one on SC just before xmas and have already worn it loads. I have a 6.75" wrist I reckon and I don't really feel it wears big at all. It is pretty high but I think that is one of its charms and a display back adds to that too - I love switching between this and a vintage to experience the different dimensions!

Anyway he is a standard head on shot which gives you another idea on sizing. Your extra wrist size should fill it up nicely.

Cheers.

Fills the wrist nicely.

I say big man, small watch er hum! sword hands? I will do unpaid forced labour for 1 week in exchange for a prs5b auto saphire with tritium. :bounce: