closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best & Worst

Banned

Best & Worst

I saw this on another (less active) forum and thought it was a really interesting thread and therefore take no credit for the initial idea

So, which watch can you say you are chuffed to mint balls in getting your hands on and which was your greatest disappointment.

Starter for ten, my best was and still is a PloProf 1200 because I wanted a brand new watch (check), a huge discount (check), all available strap options (check) and it had to be as big as i felt i could go and as brash as possible (double check).

My biggest disappointment was an IWC Aquatimer, probably because I really lusted for one from photo's and when it landed it was just okay-ish.

Re: Best & Worst

Worst; Dievas Vortex

Best/most chuffed with; A watch I had put together myself

Master

Best - Carl F. Bucherer Travelgraph: Love at first sight and I new I would own one some day. Took me a few years of searching to find a pre-owned one in my price range and it was worth the wait and worth every penny. Such a special watch to me and I can't imagine ever selling it.

Worst - Benarus PVD Sea Devil: Got caught up in the Benarus hype on Watchuseek and ended up buying one. When it arrived it was horrific, a hulking black vulgar monstrosity without an ounce of charm or class. Looked cheap, felt cheap and was gone in a matter of days.

Master

Best - mid-size automatic Seamaster Pro. Understated yet just right.

Worst? A Seiko black helmet. It was a specific watch though - everything that could go wrong with it did go wrong with it.

Craftsman

Best: Rolex 14060 - perfect dimensions and supremely comfortable. Shouldn't have sold that one - classic case of grass is greener. :roll:

Worst: Rolex Explorer 1 - just meh.

Only watch I have ever bought back is my Benarus Megalodon.

The one that left me cold was my Rolex GMTIIc. I didn't like the bezel play (confirmed as "normal" by Bexley) and I didn't find the crown positions precise enough for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66
    I saw this on another (less active) forum and thought it was a really interesting thread and therefore take no credit for the initial idea

So, which watch can you say you are chuffed to mint balls in getting your hands on and which was your greatest disappointment.

Starter for ten, my best was and still is a PloProf 1200 because I wanted a brand new watch (check), a huge discount (check), all available strap options (check) and it had to be as big as i felt i could go and as brash as possible (double check).

My biggest disappointment was an IWC Aquatimer, probably because I really lusted for one from photo's and when it landed it was just okay-ish.
    This is a very difficult choice to make. There is not one measure for happiness here, every one of them is the best in a way so that it's difficult to rank them. I could not believe my luck when I laid my hands on a Sinn 156, but then again I have yearned for a Seiko 6105 much longer, Seiko 6138 is very cool and technically appealing, the Spork was my first new automatic, the PRS17 among the first serious watches...

Disappointment perhaps a casio calculator watch. Not because it is bad, but because I bought it for wrong reasons, I got it because it would befit me as a computer geek and because I didn't get one as a kid. Turned out I'm too old for that and never come around to wearing it.

Master

Worst Sinn U1 SDR wanted one for 18 months and saved for it. Disappointing and sold in a month

Best Seiko Orange Monster Lite, bought at the same time as the Sinn at one 12th the price and felt better put together

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Parabola
    Worst Sinn U1 SDR wanted one for 18 months and saved for it. Disappointing and sold in a month
    How so? I'm thinking of buying.

Best = B&M XXL 1000m. Unique design and a certain something

Worst = Rolex GMT with Pepsi bezel. It wore smaller than I thought it would. Lacked presence and the crown play I found disturbing. I don't think I wore it out of the house before selling on.
    Gray

Best? - my latest B1 with UTC

Worst? - IWC Ti Aquatimer - too light and 'insignificant' in the flesh for me
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Best - F2.4MHz Stardust

Worst - don't have one actually

Best - GMT II, wanted one for ages, bought it new and still think it's the perfect watch for all occasions

Worst - IWC pilots chrono, love the simplicity and the precision, just can't seem to get emotional about it... maybe its one of those that takes time to appreciate...

Best & Worst

Best: Omega speedmaster triple date. Perfect size, lots of complications, good with jeans or suit and withe the 7750 "wobble" it feels alive.

Worst. Rolex Explorer 1. Dull and expensive with rubbish lume ( not a tritium dial, it was luminova)

Grand Master

Best: Breitling Colt. Dripping with quality, under a x10 loupe too. I didn't see how it was worth trying to incorporate a greater level of quality and attention to detail; perhaps slightly sharper machining of the outer edges of the lugs would have been nice but I don't think that was because of any manufacturing limitations. Ultimately sold as an easy way of filling a cashflow hole, not because I didn't want it any more.

Worst: Seiko SNZH15, I think that was the code, possibly an X or a G in there. A cheap way of trying the whole matt-blasted-and-on-a-NATO thing, to see if I liked that whole scene. Within seconds of opening the package it was quickly on its way again. Hey, I tried!
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Best is my fortis b42 chrono- love the look, feel and presence and as unwittingaccomplice says above, the valjoux wobble lets you know it is alive and kicking.

The worst.... hmmmn... I am not entirely sure I have one yet but my modest collection is still growing so it is inevitable that I will discover one. 8)

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Best - hard to choose - milgauss, longines legend diver or pam88.

Worst - cartier santos auto (looked horrid), oris bc4 chrono (terrible to wear)

Craftsman

Best- Breitling avenger seawolf. Huge watch but so comfortable.

Worst- Nothing too bad yet.

Master

Best/most surprising - a white Milgauss. Alreadt had a GV, so knew what to expect from the 'style' but the colour (white/orange) works superbly. Was very unexpected.
    Worst - Really not sure. If I buy a watch it's because I like it.

Best: Seiko orange monster. I'm honestly shocked with this watch :blackeye:

Worst: Don't have one yet really

Journeyman

Vintage edition
    Best: Zenith Primero A 386 - one of the originals
    Worst: Breitling Sprint ref 2016 - absolutely shoddy finish, movement doesn't tic - it goes "boing-boing-boing" reverberating loudly in awful fiberglass case, dial paint applied by blind epileptic, whole watch fairly screams "Help us, we are going out of business!"

Best: Breguet XXI, the dial, the domed crystal running into the bezel, the perfect size, comfortable.

Worst: Breitling Aerospace, great watch functionality and dial ... But it should be made of stainless steel, it was like wearing a watch shaped out of a tin can.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl

The one that left me cold was my Rolex GMTIIc. I didn't like the bezel play (confirmed as "normal" by Bexley) and I didn't find the crown positions precise enough for the money.
    Absolutely no 'bezel play' in my IIc, please let me have some more info' on 'normal' by Rolex UK.????
    Mine is buttery smooth with just the right degree of resistance & probably one of the best bezel operations I have come across.
    Crown positions????? What do you mean?
    Cheers.

Best: Breitling Navitimer. I had wanted one for ages and it lived up to expectations. Damn hard to photograph though!

Worst: Damasko DC56. I had wanted one for ages and it is a great watch, but I absolutely hated it on my wrist. The diameter/height ratio is just all wrong to me (i.e. too tall). Easy to photograph, though. :)

Best: Oris Titan Chrono 44mm. It's a really wonderful watch. Incredibly comfortable, light, understated, but with a presence, and a much nicer size for me than the current 47mm ones. I just removed the polished surfaces on the lugs and the bracelet, and it's just about my perfect watch.

Worst: Probably the Sinn U1 because of the blasted finish. It was much easier to mark, especially the non-tagimented bracelet, than I had expected, and it just ruined the enjoyment of the watch for me. But, having said that, it was a really nice watch, just the worst in the good bunch.

Master

Best: Everything I've bought(including vintage)

Worst: Nothing... I'm too good to buy a bad watch :wink: :D :twisted:

My 'best' watch is my Patek Philippe Aquanaut. I was a little sceptical about the rubber strap but the more I wear it the more i love the whole package. Amazing dial, perfect size and weight and a stunning movement.

Worst was the Sinn U1 that I bought on its release. Wore it once and sold it on to a more appreciative WIS.

Best. My Omega PO.
    Worst. Some Krug Baumen jobby many moons ago.

Best / most pleased to receive

5 months wait, but well worth it.

Most disappointing

flipped immediately on receipt.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Best - Helson Sharkmaster; Build quality is astonishing for the price paid (secondhand made it even better). wears well for such a tall watch

Worst - Damasko DA36; Had three now and despite all the clever technology both inside and out, each one has failed to excite / delight / satisfy me.

Best: Seiko Fifty Five Fathoms mod, exceeded all expectations incredible watch for the money blew me away.

Worst: Rolex submariner, totally underwhelmed.

Craftsman

Best - Seiko MM300, awesome face and thick case.

Worst - Hamilton King Scuba, crap strap & too dressy for a diver.

Master

Best

Worst
    probably Doxa, didn't think the quality matched the price

Best: I have a short memory, was fortunate enough to pick up a seiko mm300 recently though and it's my favourite. incredible watch.

worst: that's a hard one, some have disappointed but, they were easy to move on and I met some cool people selling them on, so no harm done

Best: Panerai 000 Base Logo, got it from my Dad on an interest free payment plan of £150 a month after he couldnt get on with it! Wore it constantly and loved it, sold it to fund a rolex.

Worst: TAG Heuer Carrera, wanted one for ages and got the black one, which was the worst colour IMO I really wanted the blue dial. When it arrived I opened the box with excitement and the let out a sigh, it did nothing for me and was sold within a week.

Best: Breitling Aerospace. Just exceeded my expectations on so many levels. Fantastic functionality, slim, brutally accurate, soooooo oeasy to read, womb like comfort.

Worst: Speedmaster Date. Lusted after one for years - just found it uncomfortable, irritating and bloody hard to read quickly.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

was that the new Aquatimer 2000 or the older style with inner rotating bezel?
    what was wrong with it? :D

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie3585
    Quote Originally Posted by Parabola
    How so? I'm thinking of buying.
    Very stiff clasp (I painfully bent a nail back trying to open it once), despite this, if you got something between your wirst and the clasp (like my ex girlfriend's finger) the watch would fall off. Vertical play in the bezel, which incidentally didn't line up and was too stiff to turn with any precision. The AR coating on the outside was a git to keep clear and irritated me instensely. Just a let down in general really. Traded it for an MM300 and a couple of hundred pounds more and the Seiko felt like it was several cuts above.

I had the Sinn less than a month and I've had the Seiko almost 18 now - although I'm thinking of selling it to fund a Panerai or an IWC.

Quote Originally Posted by Nealywheelie
    Quote Originally Posted by dejjl

Absolutely no 'bezel play' in my IIc, please let me have some more info' on 'normal' by Rolex UK.????
    Mine is buttery smooth with just the right degree of resistance & probably one of the best bezel operations I have come across.
    Crown positions????? What do you mean?
    Cheers.
    Bezel - too much lateral movement for my liking. I sent it back to Bexley under warranty and they said that it was due to the new bezel design and fewer clicks in one rotation. To be honest, I still wasn't happy so I called them and spoke with the technician who dealt with my watch. He said the same and that I shouldn't expect the same as a Rolex Sub or other diver. Fussy - yes; happy - no.

As to the crown positions...0, 1 and 2. Cheaper watches I have owned have clicked into these positions smoother and more accurately than the GMT. Nothing more to say really other than my SD was miles better.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by LouS
    Vintage edition
    Best: Zenith Primero A 386 - one of the originals
    Worst: Breitling Sprint ref 2016 - absolutely shoddy finish, movement doesn't tic - it goes "boing-boing-boing" reverberating loudly in awful fiberglass case, dial paint applied by blind epileptic, whole watch fairly screams "Help us, we are going out of business!"
    :lol:

I've always wondered about those; they look great in the photos and there are plenty of unused ones still around, but they are always very pricey for a 7733 and the styling is definitely, uh, "period". I guess the fibreglass was a 60s/70s equivalent to titanium, but it's pretty old-hat today.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

Best.. Steinhart Triton 300m, for the money I paid and on a lumpy I love it.

worst.. Alpha Mcqueen hommage.. just horrible, and not for me.. had it for about a day.

Best, Sinn Arktis, hopefully never have to part with it.

Worst or should I say somewhat disappointed, Seiko Samurai Ti, just not for me.

Best: Panerai 114 I series. Just is.

Worst: Possibly a UTS 500m with PVD bezel. Two reasons, was never comfortable on my wrist, as I couldn't get the bracelet to adjust to my liking.
    ........Also was a door frame magnet due to the height. Oh & there was a GShock I bought & couldn't read the display on...
    ______

​Jim.

Best: Siffert Autavia, which was completely original but needed a lot of work. I had to sell it to help fund my car restoration. I know where it is now but I'm not sure I could ever afford to buy it back.

Worst: GMT2c, which I loved for a couple of years before I found this place. I then realised it wasn't for me and sold it to fund my car restoration. I don't miss it but I do miss the opportunity to buy a new sports Rolex again now they cost ridiculous money and look even more naff than the GMT2c
    "A man of little significance"

Craftsman

Best: Omega Seamaster Professional 2221.80
    Have never been so happy with a watch. It was on my wishlist for a while, so that only made it better.

Worst: Hmm, i don't know.. I think i'd have to go with my Alpha Planet Ocean.
    Just terrible quality. I bought it to see if the Omega PO would fit me, but it was just complete rubbish.
    Sold it, and fortunately still have an ache for the PO. It did fit me, though ;)

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Hmmm...

'Worst' ,in the sense of there was nothing wrong with the watch per se,but i was fairly nonplussed when i got it...Ninex Nitrox. I'd been after one for ages then when i finally got one it didn't really do much for me so it went.

'Best'.....tough call tbh....i love my 6105-8119...i hunted down a splendid Accutron Astronaut in superb condition which i would find hard to part with...i have others i like just as much. Mind you,the only watch i've ever sold and wished i hadn't was a Ball Engineer Master II Moonphase. I know where it is though :wink:

Best - Bremont ALT1-C. Far better than any of the equivalent "panda" chronos I was looking at (probably a very short list of that vs the IWC at that point).
    Worst - Tricky. In terms of expectations, even taking into account "value for money", it was probably the Prometheus Diver Ocean Day Date. Nothing particularly wrong with it, just didn't quite meet the hype in real life. Dial was quite flat. Hands weren't impressive. Movement was agricultural. Internal bezel mechanism wasn't great. All minor niggles, but they added up.

BEST Rolex GMT II- had one sold it to buy a Panerai and then bought one back again.

WORST Omega Mid size - this one was my one and only Quartz. This one had a dreaded faded bezel and I felt wore too small.

Master

Best: close, but the award goes to the Zeinth Rainbow Flyback I bought NOS some time ago. Still love it to bits.

Worst: Sea Dweller. I learned that I can't wear a Rolex.

Best: I have 2 that I can't split:

1/ Omega Deville Co-ax Chronograph - A stunning looking watch with a beautiful movement. Sold it to my Father in Law to fund a car upgrade though :(

2/ Tag Monaco Steve McQueen - Again a superb looking watch with huge wrist presence. Sold it to purchase the Deville.

Worst: Alpha GMT Hommage - a complete pile of poo. Also a Rolex Sub non date was a bit too minimalistic for me.