closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Flightmaster

Omega Flightmaster

So my first proper post!

does anyone have any info OR even have an Omega Flight master? i have developed a small obsession with them and was after a bit of wisdome about the watch. The one i like is the 1969 cal 910 (with the 24 hour desplay)

Re: Omega Flightmaster

What do you want to know?

Quite a few people own FM's on here IIRC including me although mine is a 911

The movement is basically a modified 861 that you would find in a Speedmaster Moonwatch, MKII etc.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

ahhh ok. well i dont know. why did they stop making it? movment details (thanks for that) also things like do you think they will try to revamp the flightmaster like they did with the ploprof?

loving the little website by the way! loving the 1970 mkII

Craftsman

If you use the search engine here you should be able to find quite a few posts about the Flightmaster. Also the late Chuck Maddox's articles are still available at ChronoMaddox.com including a great write-up about the Flightmaster cal 910 and 911.

Regards,

Michael.

Design-wise the Flightmaster is a watch of its time i.e. the Seventies which is why Omega stopped making it. That said, 70's designs are making a bit of a comeback - Zenith and Tudor have both relaunched 70's designs in the last couple of years

Master

It is big and not comfortable to wear. i sold mine after a few weeks.. Don't pay to much for them, i sold mine for 1300 euro.

Edit: but they look cool tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Cat
    It is big and not comfortable to wear.
    It is a big watch but not overbrearing. I reckon it wears smaller on the wrist.

As for comfort, I thought it was comfortable. I had the 911 but there is very little in the case thickness, with the 910 slightly thinner.

Each to their own I guess.

JK

Nice watches.Comfortable,colorful. Not really too big.
    Current vslue for a good example is around $2500.
    I have the 910 and 911

Best watch ever made in my opinion; wear my 911 pretty much daily 8)

Really comfy watch and they wear smaller than you'd think.

Get one and you won't look back :mrgreen:

Journeyman

I own a cal.910 and think it's absolutely worth having in your collection.
    It's a big watch but wears small and has a perfect fit on my wrist. There is little out there that looks like it and you will get many great comments wearing it.
    The cal.910 version was only produced 1969-70 so it's not as usual as the cal.911 version of it.

Mine is in Bienne right now for total restauration with their special vintage restauration department and I miss it badly. It's been away for 100 days now and will not come back to me for another 100-150 days they told me :(

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA

Mine is in Bienne right now for total restauration with their special vintage restauration department and I miss it badly. It's been away for 100 days now and will not come back to me for another 100-150 days they told me :(
    Mine too but I haven't been given a timescale. That makes a depressing read - I don't reckon I'll see mine before Xmas now. :(

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum

Mine too but I haven't been given a timescale. That makes a depressing read - I don't reckon I'll see mine before Xmas now. :(
    Yes that's what I was told. Week 49 is ETA right now for me (mine sent in mid may from my local AD to Bienne).
    When did you send yours to Bienne?

Yes that's what I was told. Week 49 is ETA right now for me (mine sent in mid may from my local AD to Bienne).
    Sent to Omega UK for forwarding 2nd week in June, so I'm at least 3 weeks, probably more, behind you.

Journeyman

Sent to Omega UK for forwarding 2nd week in June, so I'm at least 3 weeks, probably more, behind you.
    This will be fun to follow up if they take on the watches chronology :)
    I got an estimate price on the restoration the same time as the ETA which wasn't cheap to say the least :wink:

Had both the 910 and 911, great watches, loads of comments from people.. When you explain it was a niche watch aimed at pilots they love it more..

I think I preferred the 911 as it was a bit bigger.

They wear really well IMO, not uncomfortable at all.

i am lucky to own both (910.911)and i find both comfortable? I dont think there over big by todays standards.go on get one :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704
    i am lucky to own both (910.911)and i find both comfortable? I dont think there over big by todays standards.go on get one :wink:

Great watches - I had one on my most wanted list - but I got diverted :idea:

That really is a fabulous example :drunken:

One day I'll get one.

Journeyman

Your 911 is nothing but stunning! Great pics too.
    If I recall correct it was restored in Bienne right?

I also have the yellow handset I think it looks best on the watch IMO.

Your 911 is nothing but stunning! Great pics too.
    If I recall correct it was restored in Bienne right?

I also have the yellow handset I think it looks best on the watch IMO.
    you are correct ,it was just back from omega when i purchased it.The 910 is in good condition ,new dial and bits but no new starburst effect just the old starburst which isn't bad.To be honest i dont mind it because i dare wear it ,unlike the 911

Well a lot of people have alluded to how small and comfortable the FM is. :lol:

Personally I find it an ungainly lump.

It's not the width, it is the depth. It sticks out so much that door jambs are your enemy and I find myself involuntarily putting my arm behind my back Prince Philip style whenever I approach one. :lol:

I have 8 inch wrists which are pretty large and it still looks like a carbuncle on me.

YMMV.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Funny how views and perceptions vary isn't it, thank god.

Same model but a different angle. I think it looks great :wink:

It looks as though opinions are divided on the FM, so the only thing to do is either try one or buy one.

Omega Flightmaster

Now this is what I was looking for! Thanks for the responses guys. I have been looking into the speedmaster mk2's aswell now (orange and great dial) and after some searches on the forum iv found that some people have some amazing restored ones.

Please post pics when you guys get your flight masters back!

I now have my sights set on the speedmaster and the flightmaster. Ouch... My wallet...

These may sway you then :wink:

JK

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Well a lot of people have alluded to how small and comfortable the FM is. :lol:

Personally I find it an ungainly lump.

It's not the width, it is the depth. It sticks out so much that door jambs are your enemy and I find myself involuntarily putting my arm behind my back Prince Philip style whenever I approach one. :lol:

I have 8 inch wrists which are pretty large and it still looks like a carbuncle on me.

YMMV.

It's as high as the Paris tower. It was way to much for my 7" wrist. WAY to much...

Four models made:

St145.013 910 calibre
    st145.026 911 calibe
    st145.036 911 calibre
    BA345.0801 910 calibre in 18ct Gold

Similarities/ Differences:

The 910 calibre has a 24 register at 9 oclock,with a green sub dial. The 911 calibre has a running seconds at 9 o clock, same as Speedie Pro. The Difference between the 026 and 036 is the fitting of the glass. 026 has a rubber seal, which has been known to pop out, and 036 has a plastic seal, which will hold the glass in tightly, an advange when you are at great altitude! The 013 has a convex mineral glass, the 026 and 036 have flat mineral glasses. The gold flightmaster is Uber rare, and pretty pricey. If it is one of the super rare ones that came with a n 18ct bracelet, it weighs in at 500g of Gold! There is a mixture of hands, the yellow cadmium hands are more desirable and no longer available. The cadmium coating is designed to glow under the cabin instrument lights.

Hope that helps...

Omega Flightmaster

Good lord! Now thats some knowledge!

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Kenney

JK
    Jon you sold this Flighty right?
    Didn't you like the watch?

JK
    Yes Peter, I sold it to a forum member a couple of months ago.

Absolutely loved it but couldn't justify it sitting in the safe, only to be brought out once a month. I always say watches should be for wearing but couldn't bring myself put it often and maybe damage it due to it's ninth condition. So I sold it and have bought a few others to wear on a more regular basis.

JK

Journeyman

[quote=Jon Kenney]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Jon Kenney":26cvjlgq

JK

Absolutely loved it but couldn't justify it sitting in the safe, only to be brought out once a month. I always say watches should be for wearing but couldn't bring myself put it often and maybe damage it due to it's ninth condition. So I sold it and have bought a few others to wear on a more regular basis.

JK[/quote:26cvjlgq]

Ok good decision Jon. I have the same policy I always wear all my watches regular.
    Mine hasn't come back from Bienne and I might experience the same dilemma as you did... Now I'm worried.
    P

That is the dilemma with Bienne restored watches which is why none of mine would ever go there...... that and the price. :lol:

Vintage watches that look new with most parts changed lose their period charm to me and of course no one wants to wear them.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    That is the dilemma with Bienne restored watches which is why none of mine would ever go there...... that and the price. :lol:

Vintage watches that look new with most parts changed lose their period charm to me and of course no one wants to wear them.
    I'd have to agree Neil. Athough I wouldn't have if I hadn't experienced it first hand.

Maybe a quick dink in it would make you feel like wearing it more often :lol: :lol:

Journeyman

[quote=Jon Kenney]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Neil.C":1d12p94d

I'd have to agree Neil. Athough I wouldn't have if I hadn't experienced it first hand.

Maybe a quick dink in it would make you feel like wearing it more often :lol: :lol:[/quote:1d12p94d]
    Well I was specific about not changing the dial if it could be restored to keep little of that vintage look and I could always send it back after a few years for another restoration ;)
    Have had all my Omegas refurbd at Omega and I wear them on a regular basis as they should.

Problem with the fligtmaster is that the sunburst finish is so beautiful that I may get second thoughts on this one wearing it in circulation with the others... *hmm* only time will tell how I do with this one...

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by MR T
    Four models made:

St145.013 910 calibre
    st145.026 911 calibe
    st145.036 911 calibre
    BA345.0801 910 calibre in 18ct Gold

Similarities/ Differences:

The 910 calibre has a 24 register at 9 oclock,with a green sub dial. The 911 calibre has a running seconds at 9 o clock, same as Speedie Pro. The Difference between the 026 and 036 is the fitting of the glass. 026 has a rubber seal, which has been known to pop out, and 036 has a plastic seal, which will hold the glass in tightly, an advange when you are at great altitude! The 013 has a convex mineral glass, the 026 and 036 have flat mineral glasses. The gold flightmaster is Uber rare, and pretty pricey. If it is one of the super rare ones that came with a n 18ct bracelet, it weighs in at 500g of Gold! There is a mixture of hands, the yellow cadmium hands are more desirable and no longer available. The cadmium coating is designed to glow under the cabin instrument lights.

Hope that helps...
    There's actually one more slight variation: The c911 in the typical c910 case. I have one:

According to Omega, there was a bit of a transition period where some c911 watches were made with the slimmer c910 case. Mine came that way-it was in desperate need of restoration, and was sent to Bienne for that. Took 11 months, then another trip back (pesky GMT hand) which took another 2 months.

Personally I love the yellow hand models, too.

I've always liked purpose-built watches, and the c910/911 Flightmasters are perfect examples. This is yet another watch that I bought because I couldn't see the "big deal" with them before I owned one. Once I had it in my hands, I realized it was truly a magnificent piece.

Quote Originally Posted by siddhartha
    There's actually one more slight variation: The c911 in the typical c910 case. I have one:

I didn't know that. I always assumed my cal 911 had the wrong crystal fitted at some point in the past (it has a domed crystal), but was told that the domed crystal of the 910 wouldn't fit the case of the 911 :?

( I realise this isn't a great pic to show the dome of the crystal, but trust me it is domed ;) )

Craftsman

Yes, it is indeed the case. I spoke with Omega/Bienne directly at the time (about 2 years ago) and they confirmed this. You can actually see more than a couple examples on the internet, should you care to search-it makes you wonder why they did change to the chunkier case typical to the c911. Besides the domed crystal (which I greatly prefer) you can see the lug ends of the case come to sharper points than on the meatier c911 case.

Quote Originally Posted by siddhartha
    Yes, it is indeed the case. I spoke with Omega/Bienne directly at the time (about 2 years ago) and they confirmed this. You can actually see more than a couple examples on the internet, should you care to search-it makes you wonder why they did change to the chunkier case typical to the c911. Besides the domed crystal (which I greatly prefer) you can see the lug ends of the case come to sharper points than on the meatier c911 case.
    Well you learn something everyday. Thanks for that.

[quote=PeterA]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Jon Kenney":bxr2l2a5

JK

JK
    Ok good decision Jon. I have the same policy I always wear all my watches regular.
    Mine hasn't come back from Bienne and I might experience the same dilemma as you did... Now I'm worried.
    P[/quote:bxr2l2a5]

Definitely a good decision Jon. :)

Its getting good wear here and has now been joined by a 73 Speedy. :)

Love it, fits great and would definitely recommend trying to get one.

Malc

Glad you're happy with it Malc.

I bet it puts your PP to shame :shock:

JK

Journeyman

[quote=Malcolm68]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Jon Kenney":1msrhurs

JK

JK
    P

Malc[/quote:1msrhurs]
    How does it withstand daily wear Malc?

[quote=PeterA]
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm68
    Quote Originally Posted by "Jon Kenney":wss5ute4

JK

JK
    P

Malc
    How does it withstand daily wear Malc?[/quote:wss5ute4]

Wouldn't say its my daily wear as I'm a little spoilt for choice. I wear it as often as my others, and its fine, stood up to everything thats been asked of it so far. Agree with comments prior to this that they should be worn, and all mine are.

Malc

Glad you're happy with it Malc.

I bet it puts your PP to shame :shock:

JK
    To be honest, I get more comments about it than the PP

Malc

That's interesting about the 911 in a 910 body - does this make them a rarer model? I saw one on eBay recently and thought it must be a franken assembly job!!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by futon river crossing
    That's interesting about the 911 in a 910 body - does this make them a rarer model? I saw one on eBay recently and thought it must be a franken assembly job!!

Not sure-I have no idea as to rarity. When I first realized that mine had the domed crystal, then c910 case (actually through pictures, as the watch was at Omega) I contacted them to check. Thought mine was the only one, until I started to look for these models. Now, I have seen more than a few, and I suspect that there must be more than I thought. Probably (all supposition) that they did this to use up the c910 cases with the newer c911 movement, but it makes me wonder what the switch in the cases was for to begin with!

Personally I prefer the c910 case with its domed crystal, but I am not sure if there are any advantages to the c911 case-perhaps more water-resistance?