Rolex VS Seiko ?

Ok So I've been thinking about this quite a bit recently, with some interesting threads which are suggesting that the Grand Seiko brand, (like Lexus, which was grown from the Toyota family) will possibly one day become the go to big brand watch, or will at least compete with the likes of Omega and Rolex.

I'm not fussed about the future with this thread, what i'm interested to know about is the now. I thought it would be interesting to hear peoples opinions about how the higher end Seiko and Grand Seiko watches compared with "the brand to beat" in the high end market at the moment, which i guess would be Rolex.

I know there is a lot of love for the SD here, but then there are also quite a few Seiko fans so hopefully we'll get some good points and opinions through.

My views are this; (i'm not an absolute WIS for all things Seiko or Rolex, so please correct me if i have gotten any facts wrong)

Rolex are a brilliant brand that produce brilliant watches, there is no arguing that, and they have done for a very long time, arguably from the first watch they produced. Their marketing is brilliant (and must be cost effective :?: ) and the watches have a timeless classic design. Not only that, but Rolex have a rich and full heritage, with a lot of history behind them, and they are a charity owned by the Willendorf fund, no other watch house can claim that. They where the original tool watch (comex etc) and at the time of their birth they where innovative and boundary pushing. Yet today to me they seem to be a bit stale. They follow fashion with their maxi cases and dials (which are quite nice :twisted: ), and in my opinion nothing much changes, they rarely do anything different (except maybe the ceramic bezel), and haven't introduced anything of significant value as far as technological advancement goes in the horological world,and on top of that they have a very unfortunate and unfair stereotype that has led to some feeling uncomfortable while wearing a Rolex, or at least to me feeling uncomfortable.

Seiko on the other hand are not as well presented in the higher end western watch market, with a serious lack of outlets and marketing. They seem to be lazy, and fail to see a possible market, which they are taking their sweet time to move into. Like rolex they have been around for a while and have also been producing quality watches (grand seiko) for a long time. However to me they seem to be one of the biggest watch houses at the moment to be pushing for technological advances, what with the spring drive movement which is a truly revolutionary design in the watch movement world. Along with that the higher end watch don't have a negative stereotype, in fact they don't even have an imagine among the normal folk of this fair Country (basically any one who isn't a WIS :lol: )

So I'd be interested to know what people think? and what people would prefer to wear on their wrist, day in and day out.

The Omega Planet ocean should be in there, as well as the Seamaster, but i want to keep it simple, and easy... me being lazy i guess :roll:

N.b While typing this i have been wearing my Seiko 6306 150m vintage diver, but i have treid to keep it as even as possible.

Seikos in question: (thanks to Jay for the picture)

Rolexs in question:

Many thanks

Doug