closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milestone digitals

Banned
    Blog Entries

Milestone digitals

One the first lcd chronograph (Seiko CX003M, 0634-5019, 1975), ´liberating´displayed time from the gear train,
    the other the first EPD world time watch (Seiko SDGA001, S770-OAA0, 2010), ´liberating´ representation of time.

Blog Entries

Re: Milestone digitals

:sleepy2: :sleepy1:

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

We get it, we really do. Quartz is the best, Seiko are better than Rolex. Your digital watches are really valuable. We get it...

Banned
    Blog Entries

This ´liberating´ aspect of solid state electronics was the argument with which Hannes Wettstein convinced the Ventura board to go this way in 1999; to free designers from the gear box.
    EPD takes it a step further than he could ask for as he died before this technology was available.

Another example is the TAG Heuer Microtimer which is to date the only 1/1000th chronograph which is only possible free from gears or hands.

Quick Question for you Esteemed Quartz Meister: will my atomic G shock work in Argentina (IE receive time updates from the signal tower in the USA?) If not, would the booster you recently mentioned work?

...and for anyone who is a fan of the latter episodes of the Gemini Man, the Seiko 0634-5019 on that bracelet is a must have ;)

Good shots from last episode 10 "Buffalo Bill Rides Again" opening credits (0:43 - 1:22); http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfK66..._order&list=UL

...and the first "guest" 0634-5019 appearance in episode 2 "Minotaur"; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOR9fiZC3R4

Some real mix and match going on with the 2nd unit close-up shots in the mid-season episodes, featuring Heuer opening credits, but Seiko close-ups, even though the Heuer can clearly be seen in normal shots.

Still don't know why there was a switch during the series from Heuer to Seiko.... product placement contractual agreement changes, at a guess.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beau
    Quick Question for you Esteemed Quartz Meister: will my atomic G shock work in Argentina (IE receive time updates from the signal tower in the USA?) If not, would the booster you recently mentioned work?
    Sure it will work. It will not sync but buy the EPD and you will be within a sec after a month.
    For a synchronising watch you would need the Citizen Appleseed. It has júst been released. Higuchi was taking pre-orders, but you have to be quick if it has not sold out already. You will see the point about limits of analogue design too,.. or not.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1968
    ...and for anyone who is a fan of the latter episodes of the Gemini Man, the Seiko 0634-5019 on that bracelet is a must have ;)
    Thanks 1968; I had not spotted the mix-n-match. Thanks for sharing.

Edit.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by keitht
    I for one would miss the informative and knowledgable posts if Huertecilla chose not to bother any more...their content value far outweighs the negatives.
    WIS-dom is far to little about the idiot savant things like 1968 and onthedash are sharing. The Lancaster hotel bit about the Heuer Microsplit development is simply 8)
    Imo it is :bounce: that this is now happening on a main stream forum. Ditto old timers here sharing their school days seikos.

Meanwhile I am half a step ahead concerning the ´0634 tc enigma´.
    The architecture of the 0624 and 0634 is identical save for ic and display. The 0624 is marked ´temperature adjusted´, apperantly through the use of a temperature sensitive resistor.
    There is a bit more data on the 0624 so if I can find it thére I have found it on the 0634. I hope...

Master
    Blog Entries

What is special about the EPD screen compared to, say, LCD?

4-5 years ago [I think] Fossil offered a watch that was basically a cut-down Palm PDA so I assume it isn't the watch functionality that is special?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    One the first lcd chronograph (Seiko CX003M, 0634-5019, 1975), ´liberating´displayed time from the gear train,
    the other the first EPD world time watch (Seiko SDGA001, S770-OAA0, 2010), ´liberating´ representation of time.

8)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    What is special about the EPD screen compared to, say, LCD?

The Seiko EPD has this e-ink in a véry high resolution matrix, making it a free form graphics display with great readability and véry low power consumption.
    A ditto LCD display needs a gsm sized battery recharged weekly. The Seiko SDGA00x is easily kept topped up by it´s solar panel.

Best read up about it if you need more info. There is quite a lot written about it.

Just love that Seiko SDGA001.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by EdRonax
    Just love that Seiko SDGA001.

Me too.
    Íf you would buy one, you might want to consider getting a 0624 or 0634 too as both compliment eachother.
    The 034 is currently quite affordable still.

Very nice pair!

Very nice pair!!!

I only have two digitals somehow worth mentioning - the first decimal minute repeater and one that I believe currently holds a number of other records - like the first user-thermocompensated quartz wristwatch (and a pretty impressive one, with better than 3 seconds/year error anywhere in the functioning temperature range), the first wristwatch which knows about (EDIT: multiple) DST rules and changes accordingly WITHOUT an external signal and almost certainly the most accurate astronomical wristwatch at this point 8)

http://caranfil.org/tz/R0017583c.jpg

http://caranfil.org/tz/R0019626c.jpg

Banned
    Blog Entries

The ezChronos is a serious geek toy. With the programming you guys uploaded it is the ultimate wristwatch bar nóne. The fact that it is so basic looking adds vastly to the 8) factor.

The first dst programmed watch was the Synchronar though. The function can also be switched on/off and that is a good thing as the dst rules have changed several times nor were (are) always uniform.

The ezChronos is a serious geek toy. With the programming you guys uploaded it is the ultimate wristwatch bar nóne. The fact that it is so basic looking adds vastly to the 8) factor.

The first dst programmed watch was the Synchronar though. The function can also be switched on/off and that is a good thing as the dst rules have changed several times nor were (are) always uniform.
    Well, it might have been the "ultimate wristwatch" if it did have sapphire and a metal case/bracelet :wink:

However unlike the Synchronar the DST from ezChronos knows that there are different rules for different timezones and applies those independently on each timezone (easier visible in the WorldTime mode) - very handy for the 1-2 weeks when DST kicked-in in one part of the word but not yet in other part, and suddenly New-York is 1 hour ahead or behind and you can never remember which one is :P

Master

Interesting - thanks!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Catalin
    However unlike the Synchronar the DST from ezChronos knows that there are different rules for different timezones and applies those independently on each timezone (easier visible in the WorldTime mode) - very handy for the 1-2 weeks when DST kicked-in in one part of the word but not yet in other part, and suddenly New-York is 1 hour ahead or behind and you can never remember which one is :P
    You would still need to tell it that you are in NY though, which is defacto the same thing as telling it dst on/off...
    Unless the watch is gps operated on the basis of your coödinates it will need to be told those, thust the time = the dst, wether directly or indirectly.
    Even for rc watches the most secure way remains a simple on/off.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Meawhile the ´0634 tc enigma´ is solved to my satisfaction:
    - I cannot find a temp. sensitive resistor or other because there is none
    - the module is adjusted to within +1 sec/month at 27 degrees C.

You would still need to tell it that you are in NY though, which is defacto the same thing as telling it dst on/off...
    Unless the watch is gps operated on the basis of your coödinates it will need to be told those, thust the time = the dst, wether directly or indirectly.
    Even for rc watches the most secure way remains a simple on/off.
    I agree that a manual override is always good, but I do not need to tell ezChronos that I am in NY if I am not there (and instead I am only checking the hour before a telephone call or internet video-conference) - the idea is that you keep the main watch on your local time and the WorldTime module at the bottom can be used to scroll over any of the timezones (which are each displayed keeping track of THEIR OWN DST) - and I keep my WorldTime on NY so normally I have just 1 button to press (to switch from date to WorldTime on the bottom).

Banned
    Blog Entries

the idea is that you keep the main watch on your local time and the WorldTime module at the bottom can be used to scroll over any of the timezones (which are each displayed keeping track of THEIR OWN DST) - and I keep my WorldTime on NY so normally I have just 1 button to press (to switch from date to WorldTime on the bottom).
    I get the idea and that still is telling the watch the time zon/ corresponding dst.

On the Seiko EPD the DST on/of is just one button too, as is scrolling time zones :idea:

The difference is that the ezChronos can be told about the DST rule for any time zone. The rc will set this overnight.
    The Synchronar was hard programmed about the rule for the US.
    Personally I see the Synchronar as thé milestone watch concerning DST and perpetual calender.

..The Synchronar was hard programmed about the rule for the US.
    Personally I see the Synchronar as thé milestone watch concerning DST and perpetual calender.
    It may have been milestone (as in first) but as above it is no longer accurate as the daylight savings rules have changed (and will change again).

I like the Chronos - I had one (sold it on here in fact!) and thought that if it were a little nicer looking it would be awesome :)

the idea is that you keep the main watch on your local time and the WorldTime module at the bottom can be used to scroll over any of the timezones (which are each displayed keeping track of THEIR OWN DST) - and I keep my WorldTime on NY so normally I have just 1 button to press (to switch from date to WorldTime on the bottom).
    I get the idea and that still is telling the watch the time zon/ corresponding dst.

On the Seiko EPD the DST on/of is just one button too, as is scrolling time zones :idea:

The difference is that the ezChronos can be told about the DST rule for any time zone. The rc will set this overnight.
    The Synchronar was hard programmed about the rule for the US.
    Without taking anything from the (many) milestones set by the Synchronar, here is how my 'simplified DST-related list' looks:

- Synchronar - local time, first wristwatch with one single DST rule; (also had a second timezone but not terribly useful since just too little display space);

- other digital models (I know for certain about a few Casio, but I don't know which one was first) - many timezones and each one has OWN DST settings (on/off); HOWEVER there is no automated rule - but on radio models some (not all) radio signals can provide SOME info (for one zone, when it is finally received - which sometimes can take more than 2-3 days in many places);

- ezChronos with our WorldTime firmware - many timezones, first wristwatch with many DST rules, each rule applied independently and automatically (with minute-level precision) on the relevant timezone (and you can see two timezones side-by-side when you need that)!

And to clarify how that last one is different from even the very modern Seiko EPD - even if the Seiko constantly gets a radio signal in let's say Europe and switches automatically OFF the DST on October 30th 2011 it will show the WRONG TIME for New-York either from that date to November 6th (in case it assumes radio DST is to be applied everywhere) OR from November 6th up to the point somebody manually changes the DST setting for NY :P (and on the 'radio quirks' we should also mention how other recent Seiko models sometimes have a small and somehow-related problem around England - but that can 'hit' at almost any time :P ).

Oh, and here is another thing that might be a first - from the 'WorldTime watches' that I have seen I did see quite a few with 30-minutes offsets, but in the ezChronos with our WorldTime firmware we also have the correct Kathmandu (Nepal) - which is 5:45 ahead of UTC 8)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Ok, a short list of milstone digital:

We have the first electronic digital by Synchronar. It used a LED display.
    It is also the first with regualtion over the ic, the first solar powered watch, the first perpetual calender, the first with dst function, the first filled watch and still the only integrally sealed one.

The first LCD (dynamic scattering) was by Optel, brought out under BWC.

The first twisted nematic field effect LCD was made by Ilixco and brought out under Gruen.

The first six digit lcd and the first lcd chronograph were by Seiko.

Seiko is still the only one ever to have commercially released an electrochromic display.

Seiko releases the first dot matrix lcd under the Pulsar name.

ETA were the first to release calibers with a dichroic field effect display.

The first led/LCD was made by Hughes for Longines.

The first pseudo analogue (hands formed by lcd elements) was made by Toshiba and brought out by Suncrux.

The Junghans Mega 1 was the first with rc.

The first digital ´automatic´ was by Ventura.

The first 1/1000th was by TAG Heuer.

Last development sofar is Seiko bringing out a matrix EPD.

Oh and the only gadget firsts I would like to mention is that Pulsar beat the lot with the first calulator watch and HP made the first scientific one.

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

Really loving these Seikos at the moment , something really cool about these first LCD's, would be interested to know how these were priced when they appeared compared to say a Rolex AK .

I'm liking the watches but I have absolutely no idea what any of you are talking about! Best go back to looking at pictures elsewhere. And I must dig out my Seiko 757 and see if I can find an extra link for the bracelet so I can start wearing it!
    "A man of little significance"

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chartman69
    Really loving these Seikos at the moment , something really cool about these first LCD's, would be interested to know how these were priced when they appeared compared to say a Rolex AK .
    Came across an interesting story about the 0634:

´I bought this watch in 1975 as it was the first LCD Chronograph I had seen.
    I was seduced by the digital read out in tenths of a second, so it replaced the Rolex 6238 I had been wearing daily since 1968.
    The Seiko cost USD 300 which made it about 50% more expensive than it's mechanical predecessor.´

Just reflect on that.

From a 200$

to a 300$

p.s. have you figured out yet how to use the DNA-stabeliser function?
    It is not in the pfd of the manual I sent you but Gemini man was shown on the screen so it must be real :albino:

Kinda cool parallel too. The 0634 has Gemini man, Rolex has Bond :wink:

I am wearing the 5019 today.
    Quite amzingly it looks smáll by today´s standard :shock:

Came across an interesting story about the 0634:

´I bought this watch in 1975 as it was the first LCD Chronograph I had seen.
    I was seduced by the digital read out in tenths of a second, so it replaced the Rolex 6238 I had been wearing daily since 1968.
    The Seiko cost USD 300 which made it about 50% more expensive than it's mechanical predecessor.´

Just reflect on that.

From a 200$

to a 300$

Zilla m'man, that does not mean jack $h1t as far as I'm concerned. It's just that early adopters pay through the nose for things, tell us something we don't know :roll:

BTW, no need to post the same stuff twice :P

Blog Entries

Interesting Petrus , I am a little amazed that some peeps see the digital watch as some kind of plague ? Are there still some Luddites out there too ?? :)

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    Zilla m'man, that does not mean jack $h1t as far as I'm concerned. It's just that early adopters pay through the nose for things, tell us something we don't know :roll:

BTW, no need to post the same stuff twice :P

It is a response to the question put by Chartman.
    It does indeed méan nothing, so why do you again get upset by it all :? :?:

About the same thing twice you as the forum police have quite a job ahead about Rolex subs brought by postman Pat :albino:
    About all about Rolex for that matter. The only thing that changes is the price list but the topics about that are the same too.

But as the forum police you could stárt with looking at the banner about what this place is and compare that with your writing here.

Now, do you have something horologic to contribute concerning milestone digitals?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Interesting Petrus , I am a little amazed that some peeps see the digital watch as some kind of plague ? Are there still some Luddites out there too ?? :)
    Indeed it seems that appreciation for modern technology offends some wis.

Personally I quite like a specific bit in the phrase of the guy I just quoted; ´The Seiko cost USD 300 which made it about 50% more expensive than it's mechanical predecessor

For me that sums it all up and I appreciate bóth technologies.

Hence I have and appreciate:

Adding up all specs and properties the EPD comes out on top and that I appreciate too.

I'm not the forum police mate, and you damn well know it.

Nor have I got upset, why would I? I like those old LCDs, I had one when they first came out (you know that too). Comparing them to the Daytona is kinda silly, though. The Daytona is a true milestone.

Blog Entries

Indeed it seems that appreciation for modern technology offends some wis

, you do :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Comparing them to the Daytona is kinda silly, though. The Daytona is a true milestone.
    The Daytona is nót a ˇ milestone at all :idea:
    That however is not the topic so if you would like to get into that I would be happy to start another thread argumenting my opinion.

Indeed is a comparison rather silly as the 0634 ís a milstone watch.

There was however no comparison with the Daytona; it was only mentioned as a príce comparison. Just fact.
    I know that facts are considered silly in a large part of wis-dom, so my appologies for that.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    Indeed it seems that appreciation for modern technology offends some wis

, you do :)

Daddel.

Thank you for the compliment

Yawwn.

Give me a Rolex any day. It seems that digital watch snobs try to tell us how to think all too often. I'd rather not be part of the digital flock of sheep. :D

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scarto
    Yawwn.

Give me a Rolex any day. It seems that digital watch snobs try to tell us how to think all too often. I'd rather not be part of the digital flock of sheep. :D

No ? but you sheep keep following each other back to this thread ! :lol:

Yawwn.

More for Huertecilla's benefit. :wink: The great Rolex conspiracy being turned on its head. :wink:

Ok, ok...just to show you I live up to my sig. :)

Blog Entries

Yawwn.

More for Huertecilla's benefit. :wink: The great Rolex conspiracy being turned on its head. :wink:

Ok, ok...just to show you I live up to my sig. :)

You have been 'Assimilated' resistance is futile !

Banned
    Blog Entries

Yawwn.

Give me a Rolex any day.
    Give me any Rolex any day too.
    They fetch good money. Enough to fund a neat collection of milestone digitals :bounce:

This all is getting to be a rather sad picture.
    A non antagonistic as factual as possible topic about digital watches gets sabotaged by some good folk going out of their way to pick a fight because.... well, no idea really, but it is totally out of line with the banner slogan of this forum.

The Seiko 0634 cost 300$ when introduced and was a milestone piece of horologic state of the art at that time. Stern is absolutely right that the early adopters paid for this new and expensive technology. It was quite something then.
    The Rolex Chrono cost 250$ at the time and had a rather average Valjoux Cal. 72 inside. When in production it was not very much appreciated and neither expensive technology nor in demand at the time at all.

That is simple fact. What is the problem??
    If one does not líke the facts, then follow the custom and just ignore them.
    By all means ignore the whole of modern watch technology.
    It does exist though, so if other wis do want to discuss it, please ignore that too :idea:

A non antagonistic as factual as possible topic about digital watches gets sabotaged by some good folk going out of their way to pick a fight because.... well, no idea really, but it is totally out of line with the banner slogan of this forum.
    Ok ok my good man. Let's not get upset about it. Just a bit of ribbing.

However, now that you have said it - on the point of 'sabotage' though, don't you feel that some people feel the same way when you 'sabotage' numerous threads with your thinly veiled attacks on Rolex and the majority of the Swiss watch industry?

Master

Milestone digitals

Great post, great thread - keep em coming Huert :)

:)
    Alan

---
    - Alan

I have worn a Rolex (Date)just* about every day for the last 20 odd years - and fully intend carrying on doing so.

I have also always been fascinated by electronic/digital/quartz watches and since being on this forum have thoroughly enjoyed reading many knowledgeable posts about them - and fully intend carrying on doing so.

I must admit I really don't understand the dichotomy which (some) people on here seem to seek to present. (And I do recognise some of it is tongue in cheek.) Maybe it's because I'm still a naive [s:175tsvyi]corporal[/s:175tsvyi] newbie.

*See what I did there?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Ok ok my good man. Let's not get upset about it. Just a bit of ribbing.

However, now that you have said it - on the point of 'sabotage' though, don't you feel that some people feel the same way when you 'sabotage' numerous threads with your thinly veiled attacks on Rolex and the majority of the Swiss watch industry?
    ahh but we all know our cilla loves to dish it out but when he gets given some back he play the kicked puppy :D
    but you are correct in fact if you check his posts most of them are in rolex dominated threads!!, rather sad really but hey ho :D

Blog Entries

Even if that's true , two wrongs don't make a right , shame on you Rolex thugs , this was a good thread :?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Even if that's true , two wrongs don't make a right , shame on you Rolex thugs , this was a good thread :?
    so were the rolex ones :wink:

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

... topic about digital watches gets sabotaged ...
    You get what you give....

Maybe we can all learn something here. :idea:

Sorry, had too...

Comparing them to the Daytona is kinda silly, though. The Daytona is a true milestone.
    The Daytona is nót a ˇ milestone at all :idea:
    That however is not the topic so if you would like to get into that I would be happy to start another thread argumenting my opinion.
    And there you have it: SternG posted his opinion, you posted yours. Opinions: no more, no less.

So lets get back to the digitals, eh?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.