closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My new car BMW 1M

Re: My new car BMW 1M

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop
    Not trying to rain on your parade, but I'm afraid I could never drive a car that colour.

In fact I struggle with BMW generally, I'll never own one.
    Is it just the image of the marque?

I really like the idea of this model and have had a couple of BMW's - my old 5 series is built like a tank.

But as the post above I think I'd have the GT3 for the money. In fact, although maybe not quite the same drive I'd be tempted by the Audi RS3 if I was buying newish.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff
    Very nice!

What engine is in these please?

Cheers,

I think it's brilliant.

Engine is a 3.0lt straight six unit, twin-turbo, 335 bhp and oodles of torque 8)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamanic
    Not trying to rain on your parade, but I'm afraid I could never drive a car that colour.

In fact I struggle with BMW generally, I'll never own one.
    Is it just the image of the marque?

I really like the idea of this model and have had a couple of BMW's - my old 5 series is built like a tank.

But as the post above I think I'd have the GT3 for the money. In fact, although maybe not quite the same drive I'd be tempted by the Audi RS3 if I was buying newish.
    Thats the main thing for me. If I arrived to a mates house in a BMW I'd get ripped to pieces!

Whereas I know I'd be safe with an Audi.

On anther point my brother is constantly painting BMWs that are rusting from the inside out; cars ~7 years old.

As a product they are streets behind Mercedes. I'm driving an IS Lexus right now, and my mechanic rates those miles ahead of BMW 3-series. He's former REME and probably the most intelligent man I know so I don't doubt him for a second

I drove one the other week. Best roadtickler yet for me,great power and nice road handling. Im thinking of ordering a white one :bounce:

As for a GT3for every day use.... it doesnt work well. Had a 996GT3 RS few years ago and it is a stunning car with loads o power and handling, but it gets to bee anoyingly hard and ruff in the every day traffic. On the track its THE SHIT :)

I sold mine and got the M3 CSL, works better as an allrounder

Master

Lovely car, and in the perfect colourfor a 1M. 8)

Are you going to get a new "Orange-Hand" Explorer-II to match?

Just to clarify, this is the BMW M1:

(clicky-pic)

in the same colour. Perhaps better suited to original "Orange-Hand" Explorer-II owners?

Mike.

My heartiest congratulations on your 1-M acquisition. I've very envious.
    Even with the stock market slump, I would think 1-M represent a very healthy short-term investment, due to supply/demand.

Totally agree with the biggest bang for buck comments. I'm interested to see how the turbo performance potential plays out against M3/5 in the aftermarket.

M1 is my secret favourite though :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1968
    My heartiest congratulations on your 1-M acquisition. I've very envious.
    Even with the stock market slump, I would think 1-M represent a very healthy short-term investment, due to supply/demand.

Totally agree with the biggest bang for buck comments. I'm interested to see how the turbo performance potential plays out against M3/5 in the aftermarket.

M1 is my secret favourite though :)
    This may interest you - however its good that its not quite as quick as my lighter MCoupe 8) :D

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format ... 5487155591

Master

I'm driving an IS Lexus right now, and my mechanic rates those miles ahead of BMW 3-series. He's former REME and probably the most intelligent man I know so I don't doubt him for a second

Currently looking for a Diesel IS, but getting more and more concerned about the reports of poor fuel consumption

Master

As a product they are streets behind Mercedes.
    And you are basing that on........?

Blog Entries

Found this thread just a few minutes ago. Great looking car and I really like the colour. Drive it in good health!

Must say that my attention to the posting was drawn when I misread '1M' for 'BMW M1'. A friend of mine owns one of these (together with a bunch of other exotica like an original GT40...). And I was really curious to see who found another one.

(pic from the web)

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster
    Found this thread just a few minutes ago. Great looking car and I really like the colour. Drive it in good health!

Must say that my attention to the posting was drawn when I misread '1M' for 'BMW M1'. A friend of mine owns one of these (together with a bunch of other exotica like an original GT40...). And I was really curious to see who found another one.

(pic from the web)
    There is a new one of these coming some rubbish snaps from Goodwood

Master

Anyone remember the BMW M1 racing series that ran parallel to the F1 races, back in the 70's I think it was? Featured all the F1 drivers against each other. Interesting stuff. Could never happen now of course.

Just picked up this thread and have to say I really like the idea of this little beauty. It is a target of mine to own a car with twice as many exhaust pipes than doors and that looks almost perfect! Bet you have been enjoying it big style! 8)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect
    Just picked up this thread and have to say I really like the idea of this little beauty. It is a target of mine to own a car with twice as many exhaust pipes than doors and that looks almost perfect! Bet you have been enjoying it big style! 8)
    Good point - told Mrs Bond the other day that I wanted a Porsche before my next big birthday, and that is a very good way of thinking about it :) At the moment, my car is the exact opposite - 4 doors and only twin exhausts :evil:

Sorry to the OP for this slight hijack - now back to BMW's :wink:

Blog Entries

Mine might be up for sale soon ;)

Ha, one of my cars has 2 exhausts and NO doors. Does that make it 'infinitely' better :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by spogehead
    Constant ear-ache over many years from my brother trying to paint rusting BMW panels, and from several family members brief afair with BMWs before going back to Mercedes pronto.

I don't think its rocket science; go on holidays anywhere in the world - are taxi drivers driving fleets of BMWs?

Grand Master

Thats the main thing for me. If I arrived to a mates house in a BMW I'd get ripped to pieces!

Consider growing a spine, then? Or are you controlled by your mate? :lol:
    In what respect? Efficiency? Design? Fun to drive? Build quality? Reliability?
    I'm driving an IS Lexus right now, and my mechanic rates those miles ahead of BMW 3-series
    I rate their refinement higher than a BMW's too - when I've not fallen asleep.

Personally I find the four exhaust pipes a bit much, and it's not a proper M engine, being from a chipped 335i. But there is an argument that the first M-car that set the scene for all future ones - being rodded versions of more modest cars - didn't have one either (the M535i from 1978 or so), and of course that it's the output that counts, not the input.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

Constant ear-ache over many years from my brother trying to paint rusting BMW panels, and from several family members brief afair with BMWs before going back to Mercedes pronto.

I don't think its rocket science; go on holidays anywhere in the world - are taxi drivers driving fleets of BMWs?
    In Bangkok where taxis are run 24h a day they use Toyotas.

I'd have a BMW over a Merc any day but thats because im under 60.... Patek & Mercedes = one foot in the grave.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER
    I'd have a BMW over a Merc any day but thats because im under 60.... Patek & Mercedes = one foot in the grave.

Word! :)

I love that colour and the aggressive look.
    I had a 130i in the past (now a Z4 3.0si, same engine) and itwas/is awesome!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER

In Bangkok where taxis are run 24h a day they use Toyotas.

No argument here, I'm driving a Lexus and the build quality is fantastic.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by andrew

Consider growing a spine, then? Or are you controlled by your mate? :lol:
    Bit much, no? The point I was trying to make is there is a fair number of people who would consider a BMW to be a "flash gits" car. Sorry you didn't grasp that 8)

Master

Interesting and thanks for answering.

How far back you going on the paint work issues?

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster

(pic from the web)
    The name confused me, ended up Googling to see whether 1M was correct and why not M1 :lol: - remembered the original when I saw it. BMW seem to hedge their bets and call this one a 1 Series M Coupé!

Whatever it's called, your car looks fantastic and I like the colour - a bit different and I think it will 'age' well. :)

congratulations on the car, its stunning. How good does it sound? Having had a CSL the noise on a proper M car is important to me.

The point I was trying to make is there is a fair number of people who would consider a BMW to be a "flash gits" car.
    That mantle has been taken by Audi. Along with the badge of worst drivers on the road.

I have no issue whatsoever with BMW, but Audis are still nicer places to sit; no one does ergonomics like them. Shame they're nowhere near as good as Bimmers to drive. Their pricing has gone crazy too - the new A1 with some goodies on is over 30K :shock:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cslonko
    congratulations on the car, its stunning. How good does it sound? Having had a CSL the noise on a proper M car is important to me.
    It won't sound like a CSL or indeed like my MCoupe, as its not normally aspirated. It's a meatier sound, rather than the legendary 3.2 rasp.

Master

Interesting and thanks for answering.

How far back you going on the paint work issues?
    As young as 8 years, which I find amazing for a 'premium' car

Schweet, not the kind of color I would choose, but power to you.

really nice, and I love the color. if i had 40k a 2nd hand nissan gtr would be in my drive instead tho

Quote Originally Posted by cslonko
    To be honest it doesn't sound too bad for a turbo car, it has a nice growl to it when you fire it up first thing in the morning.

I'm not going to lie though, I used to own a CSL a few years back and nothing comes close to the noise that thing makes.

Nothing beats the CSL for noise, glad your happy with the new toy.
    Very jealous!

Journeyman

That looks great. I think the normal one series is ugly, but the coupe version is beautiful! The colour is amazing too, it's just right I think, not too mental like the marker pen colour orange and green ST/RSs that you see in Mcdonalds car parks.

Master
    Blog Entries

Never seen one of those!

Enjoy

Congratulations on your M3, oh i mean M1, No that's not right, it a 1M. :D
    Love it, with all that power. Not sure on the colour.

Enjoy. :)

ish

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750
    really nice, and I love the color. if i had 40k a 2nd hand nissan gtr would be in my drive instead tho

I would imagine the running costs of the GTR are a lot higher.......

This is the car I've been waiting for to replace my E46 M3, sensible fuel economy and all the performance you need on the road, next problem getting a test drive? "sorry sir I'm afraid they are all sold"

Lovely car. Congratulations and good choice! I'd agree with those saying it's a cut above the normal 1 Series. It reminds me of the old M3s before they got massive in the current generation.

Apprentice

Love it. Stunning

Quote Originally Posted by Spk
    That looks great. I think the normal one series is ugly, but the coupe version is beautiful! The colour is amazing too, it's just right I think, not too mental like the marker pen colour orange and green ST/RSs that you see in Mcdonalds car parks.
    That's what I thought until I saw a white 1 series coupe with black wheels in the local dealership, really looked the business.

nice car - congrats !! It does look pretty mean. HOw does it sound?

Very nice although you might want to look at the number plate I'm not sure you'll get away with that...

very nice car - defo an alternative to an m3

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Gavgolf

Disagree! Maybe because of the speed, right.
    But you can't compare an 8 cylinder with an 6 cylinder (double) turbo.

But I'd drive it, too. :albino:

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GaRbaGeMaN
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavgolf

Disagree! Maybe because of the speed, right.
    But you can't compare an 8 cylinder with an 6 cylinder (double) turbo.
    You're right, you shouldn't - the V8 might not come across all that well ;).

They are two different ways of achieving broadly the same objective. Of course they can be compared. One is expensive, high-revving and naturally aspirated with low ultimate torque and high ultimate bhp; the other is cheaper, lower-revving, and blown, with high torque and lower bhp. Fit different gearing, and away you go.
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

I've had a 130i.. Wich was an awesome car. This must be heaven on wheels. I've read that it has old skool driving characteristics. Enjoy!!!

Journeyman

Absolute belter, if I had the cash I'd pick exactly the same car and colour- green with envy here!!! Enjoy it. :D

Blog Entries

great car. I saw one in white the other day which was stunning.

Master

I've yet to see one in the metal.

Funny how the 1 series hatch looks awful (imho) yet the saloon is epic 8)

Great car - think it's a true successor to the E30 M3.......