closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SC - now need 50 post count just to view?

Journeyman

SC - now need 50 post count just to view?

Is this an intentional change/requirement just to be able to view (no post) in SC, or did admin tick a wrong box somewhere? :(

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Re: SC - now need 50 post count just to view?

it might or might not be the case, i guess eddie is as pi$$ed off with all the crap posts relating to this subject as the rest of us, i just dont know why fu*kwits who join the forum and agree to the rules and regs , then want to bypass them.

Journeyman

Why let the minority ruin it for the majority though? :(
    Didn't think it was against rules to browse and PM sellers rather than post.
    Guess I'll have to do the obligatory '+1 posts' this week and hope I don't miss out on something good in the mean time :P

Quote Originally Posted by BradyzNZ

Guess I'll have to do the obligatory '+1 posts' this week
    I would recommend not, as you may never get there. Why not contribute and post something interesting? Why do folk always expect something for nothing?

I cant view SC any more. Not even if logged out.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Optimum

Guess I'll have to do the obligatory '+1 posts' this week
    I would recommend not, as you may never get there. Why not contribute and post something interesting? Why do folk always expect something for nothing?
    It was intended as a tongue in cheek comment :P
    It's taken months to get to 30 posts. I don't really have much to contribute as I'm still relatively new and learning more than I could ever hope to post at this rate. I'm not looking for something for nothing -I'm just impatient :P Besides with my luck at present that 'something really nice' will come and go before I get to the 50mark.

SC - now need 50 post count just to view?

I think it's a good idea to be made to post in other areas of the forum. Judging from my own forum experience this is a REALLY friendly forum so nothing to worry about.

The forum attracts a lot of people joining for the wrong reasons and hopefully this will stop them. For selling and buying, eBay can't be beaten if you want a world-wide audience. Sales Corner is for forum members who can be reasonably sure that they are dealing with trustworthy people. 50 crap posts in 24 hours doesn't say "trustworthy" to me.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    The forum attracts a lot of people joining for the wrong reasons and hopefully this will stop them. For selling and buying, eBay can't be beaten if you want a world-wide audience. Sales Corner is for forum members who can be reasonably sure that they are dealing with trustworthy people. 50 crap posts in 24 hours doesn't say "trustworthy" to me.

Eddie
    Agree...good move.

Journeyman

Eddie
    Makes perfect sense given that I come to SC rather than eBay for those very reasons. Hope it works.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

Too right great idea. If you only want to buy or sell, theres loads of places.
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

it also now seems to be 250 posts to add comments to a thread in sales corner or start one of your own.

so a while to go again...... just after I sneaked over the line.

this time its a marathon not a sprint :lol:

Eddie

:salute:

A good move, Sir!

Although it may put paid to the rather gentlemanly sport of "Speedposter baiting" which could, had things gone unchecked, have become eligible for inclusion in the Olympic Games. Ah well.

Only the really committed will try a run for SC now. And yes, I have some sympathy for the genuine enthusiast who wishes to absorb the vast knowledge available in this remarkable place, and have resisted the urge to post a load of tosh in order to gain access. It just means that the price of membership has risen to a point where it weeds out the wide boys and chancers.

And there are plenty of other places to buy and sell watches, after all.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Banned

I'm sure this won't effect 'genuine' newbies.

But lads, try not to tar all of us newbies with the same brush some of us are 100% here to use the forum as a forum and not a buying/selling alternative to fleabay.

Full expected this to happen as I noticed replies recently from people in SC, with low post counts, as they were using tapatalk.

Must have only chaged recently, I was looking in SC at the weekend. If thats the rules then I don't mind, hopefully I will have the 50 by the time I get some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by taz417
    I'm sure this won't effect 'genuine' newbies.

But lads, try not to tar all of us newbies with the same brush some of us are 100% here to use the forum as a forum and not a buying/selling alternative to fleabay.
    Wouldnt dream of thinking all newbies a problem. I feel sorry for genuine folk as a sodding minority has ruined it. Eddie is a personal friend to me now & he's stuck between a rock as the saying goes. If you are a genuine member as you sound stick with us it will be worth it.
    Paul

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Eddie
    Hear Hear Totally agree, was getting a bit bored with the inane comments
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Backward point
    And yes, I have some sympathy for the genuine enthusiast who wishes to absorb the vast knowledge available in this remarkable place, and have resisted the urge to post a load of tosh in order to gain acces.
    That's me, an enthusuast in training ~ I found browsing through SC thoroughly enlightening in so much as it has kindled a deep appreciation of other styles and marques of watches.

As a relative newbie, I'm only looking to purchase watches to build my small collection & not unload them.

This had to happen in the end.

SC has become a 'freeBay' with people obviously speeding up to the 50 posts in short order. It has ruined the chance for us slower 'genuine' posters and 'lurkers' to post, but then I've never posted on an SC post unless it was to highlight a PM. I assume the new post count doesn't stop a PM to the seller so, I for one, am not bothered.

As a buyer, not a seller, the post count hike is only a good thing.

Its such a shame that the minority ruin it for the majority as a relative newbie I have enjoyed all aspects of the forum available to me SC isnt just about baggin a bargain, its an education to see all the diverse styles of watches which you wouldnt normally get chance to admire. But as pointed out rules are rules and I am happy to abide by them although Im going to miss my regular fix of wrist candy

Master

Quote Originally Posted by the.admiral
    As a buyer, not a seller, the post count hike is only a good thing.
    You make a good point. It changes little for the buyer, just a bit more work to get to view.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozza
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoknevo
    Full expected this to happen as I noticed replies recently from people in SC, with low post counts, as they were using tapatalk.
    Good point. I've just posted to SC from Tapatalk even though I am not permitted to post directly on the web.

A bus sized hole to drive through there.
    why you not allowed with 100 plus posts?
    Paul

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mrcrowley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozza
    Quote Originally Posted by stevoknevo
    Good point. I've just posted to SC from Tapatalk even though I am not permitted to post directly on the web.

A bus sized hole to drive through there.
    why you not allowed with 100 plus posts?
    The requirement is now 250 posts to post on SC, it's 50 to view it.

As for people circumventing Eddie's rules by using Tapatalk, that will just mean the removal of Tapatalk, it's been mentioned by Eddie before.

Craftsman

I do see the reason for having a high post count for selling, as it is very important to have genuine trustworthy sellers.
    As a seller you can be safe, dealing with a newbie by having the money wired... so I think there is no real danger in having newbies like me view the SC.
    On the other hand I am sure the admin thought this through before making that step.

Master
    Blog Entries

Bit of a surprise (I have bought off sales corner in the past) however if it makes buying and selling safer then so be it

well have a long way to go. after a stressful day at work, this supposedly relieves me.

How many sodding posts are we going to have about this?
    Paul

Being a serial lurker of multiple forums I welcome this change, as I've always responded better to the stick than carrot :D Time to start putting back into the community...

Planning on buying myself a birth year SD for my 30th next summer so going to need to do my research!

On average, around 250 per new member?

I'm amused by the posts from members who seem to think that they need to rack up 250 just to get into SC.

Let's keep it simple:

50 posts to view SC

250 posts to post in SC.

So you can access SC to buy with only 50 posts. But, in order to sell, you actually need to make some sort of contribution to the Forum. Because if you try to speedpost to 250 and then put something up for sale, and any potential purchaser does their homework and simply searches the user's posts, it's going to be blatantly obvious.

A good thing in my humble opinion.

Anyway. Hope you're ok, Paul. How's your new grand-daughter?

Regards

Ian
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Quite a few by the looks of it. Did I miss an official announcement thread?

Why let the minority ruin it for the majority though? :(
    Didn't think it was against rules to browse and PM sellers rather than post.
    Guess I'll have to do the obligatory '+1 posts' this week and hope I don't miss out on something good in the mean time :P
    +1 :P

If people think that 50 and 250 posts are high too high to achieve.
    Spare a thought for those people wanting to join the Bullington Club.

Nobody whinges about being locked out of there.

Disappointing to here that you now need 50 posts to view the sales corner. I have been a member for only a short while, but don't post that often, prefer to read and browse. What I will say is that I will only buy from forum members because I trust them.
    Purchased two watches over the last couple of months and chuffed with both as I am sure the members were also chuffed with the monies they received.
    I can understand the reason for the change and as I love the site I will ofcourse abide by the rules.
    BTM

Banned

Oh dear chaps, I feel your pain. NOT!

:bootyshake:

:D

Craftsman

I suspect quite a few from frustrated low posters.

As I and several others have said, totally agree with a restriction on selling but what harm does it do for anyone to be able to browse and buy? I bought my watch off SC with 0 posts - not sure I would have found it anywhere else.

Cheers
    Rory

Must admit that I am going to miss browsing SC. I have bought off it in the past and just looking at some of the pieces available was an absorbing way to spend a lunch hour. However the rules are there and if it makes it a safer place then that can only be a good thing.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reeny
    If people think that 50 and 250 posts are high too high to achieve.
    Spare a thought for those people wanting to join the Bullington Club.

Nobody whinges about being locked out of there.
    I'd refuse on principle to join any club that was willing to have me as a member.

Just as well the Bullingdon Club won't have me as a member, then.

A former relative of mine belonged to the other Bullingdon Club, and I remember seeing a photo of club members in their tailcoats, complete with the list of the things they got done for by the plod after a quite evening out. Half of them are Cabinet ministers, now, or running big name fashion brands....

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B
    Oh dear chaps, I feel your pain. NOT!

:bootyshake:

:D

What an arse :D

As a new member I'm gutted I can't view Sales Corner anymore but it won't take long to reach 50 posts

Going to do some speed posting aye......

Whilst not wanting to necessarily up my posts just wanted to say lots of us 'low
    posters' enjoy browsing SC - will miss that. Though my bank manager will breathe
    a sigh of relief now that there's a few years (based on current post rate)
    before I can succumb to the temptation of some of those SC posts!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack
    I'd refuse on principle to join any club that was willing to have me as a member.
    So Einstein, how ya going to join a club that won't have you have a member? :lol:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman

I tried to list a watch of mine on today after selling a few things on here before and was a bit annoyed but I can see the logic behind it, just a shame its at a time when I need to sell my watch the most.

I am certainly not putting it on eBay, been messed around on there too much!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack
    So Einstein, how ya going to join a club that won't have you have a member? :lol:
    It's a Groucho Marx quote...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Woosh... :P

i have nearly been stung on ebay twice in the past week with a deffo fake and a potential fake.
    i look forward to earning my 50th post so i can search, buy and flip loads of cool watches.

Quote Originally Posted by bigsymo
    i have nearly been stung on ebay twice in the past week with a deffo fake and a potential fake.
    i look forward to earning my 50th post so i can search, buy and flip loads of cool watches.

The searching and buying part will be easy.

Flipping won't be.

As a member of 8 months standing I must say I've enjoyed browsing and reading SC the most, and have bought half a dozen items from it. I guess that's over for a while as I've only made 30 posts, but it works both ways. Recently I decided to clear out a few unloved members of the watchbox. Nothing spectacular. A Tissot, a Raymond Weil, a Jacques Lemans and a Seiko. But all in very good nick, and, most importantly, at very good prices. It'll be years till I've made 250 posts. So till then anything decent I'm disposing of won't be getting offered on TZ, will it?

Who knows how many great and small bargains won't be seen on TZ because of the 250-post rule?

As a member of half a dozen forum-style websites (and an internet user since it was called 'Prestel') I've also observed that the most frequent posters also aren't often the ones with most to say. And vice versa. Often the best, funniest and most insightful comments are from those who are rarely seen.

Quote Originally Posted by MFB Scotland
    happy to abide by the new rules
    Another 98 of those and you'll be there.