closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Walk in baths.

Walk in baths.

Ey up fellas

Random question of the evening.

Has anyone had any experience with walk in baths, either with bath companies, fitters or suppliers ?

My mum is needing one but we are looking for refs etc first.

Cheers all

Carl

Re: Walk in baths.

My partner Sara was for many years involved with disabled adaptations to increase independence and her advice is to consider a level access shower with a seat (integral or wall hung) with a 1/2 height screen and curtain- her experience is that walk in baths have many potential problems such as getting cold while you empty and fill them not to mention leakage.
    they are also very expensive. Of course if you really like baths, then you'll have to get one. Saras advice is to talk to the occupational therapist at your local council who will give free advice.
    Goat

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Sally uses one of these

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h ... CDgQ9QEwCw

the onlt drawback is that its difficult to lie flat in the bath.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Plenty of the main pitfalls already mentioned, my biggest concern about these type of things is you can never find a published price list.

The same applies to stairlifts, so you are at the mercy of the company sales people and their fitting crew.

I looked into trying to buy one to fit for my wife, and nobody really want's to sell direct, I wonder why ?

Have you thought of a bath lift ? I went that route for my dearest, http://www.mobilitysmart.cc/bath-lifts/ ... 11208.html

Brian.

Thank guys, some good replies.

@ Brian. My mums bathroom isn't very big so we thought the best option would be a walk in bath.
    Ben, I will check out the link, thanks mate. I think most of these baths have a seating area ? so as long as she can top the bath up quite full I think she would be happy enough with sitting :D

I'm not sure where you would get these, but when I was in the hospital several years ago they had some walk in baths. The seat was moulded into the back of it and there was a little gate you opened to get in. Once in you closed the gate and locked it closed, then with a small lever on the right, pumped it back which immersed the seat area. To get out you opened a lever on the right to lower the bath, then opened the gate to get out. It didn't take much effort to pump the bath back, so no large muscles required for that. Sorry I can't help with prices or availability. Perhaps your local council or NHS would be able to advise you.