closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: IWC Mark XII value ?

phineas

IWC Mark XII value ?

Hi - first post here. I wonder if someone could help me to value my IWC Mark XII watch ? I can't find many for sale so it's difficult to judge the correct price. There are a few photos here to show condition : https://picasaweb.google.com/pete.hi...CMvQ-qHpyNSKYg

Any idea on what I could expect to sell it for privately ?

Re: IWC Mark XII value ?

Welcome to the forum but why post in a sub-forum for military watches? It's not a military watch, is it?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman

That's a lovely watch, receipt says £224! Thems were the days!

edit: for stupidity, i bet that was for a service!

phineas

LOL - yes, that receipt was for a service at the end of 2009.

Apologies if I'm in the wrong forum - Mark XII is a pilot's watch - based on the original Mark X issued by the British Army, and the XI used by the RAF. I must confess - I don't know if that qualifies the XII as a BMW or not ?

Hello,

As you say, the Mark XII does not come up for sale very often. I'd estimate that a range around £1750 would be a decent price. [EDIT: just seen a link in Watch Talk to one on sale at £1895]

PS: It's no relation to the W.W.W. (aka Mark X), but a decent bit of PR marketing by IWC following the demise of the Mark 11.

phineas

Just in the interests of full-disclosure - that's actually my watch for sale on AVForums (linked in the other thread). I use the AVF classifieds forum quite a lot and someone pointed me to TZ-UK as a good source of knowledge for these kinds of watches and their market value.

Although, looking at it another way - if there's one for sale at £1895, mine must also be worth that :-)

Thanks again for the advice.

Master

They may cost a little more than that if you can find one with the original IWC mesh bracelet. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by phineas

Although, looking at it another way - if there's one for sale at £1895, mine must also be worth that :-)
    LOL!

Like mine with both leather and mesh straps, I love them, but I suppose I would have to say that, as I also have the Mk X and the Mk XI :D

These Mk XII's have nothing to do with military predecessors from IWC like Mk 10 and Mk 11. If in exellent condition with box and papers they fetch between 1900 and 2200 £ currently. Of interest is that the movement is not IWC but Jaeger LeCoultre. However, this movement is known as very good and reliable.
    Regards,
    Adrian.

phineas

Thanks everyone for your input

The Mark XII is the last Mark worth having. :blackeye:

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

john
    funny you should say that, as there was a discussion on another forum, where just that theme came up.
    The Mk XII had an IWC modded Jeager LeCoultre 889/2 Movement implanted, they reconed the last collectable would be the Mk XV with the modded gilt Eta 2892-A2 movement. So it´s arguable!

Regards

Master

john
    Missed this thread earlier - sorry to reply so late.

I like the subsequent Marks, but don't like any of them as much as the XII. Mine is my favourite watch.

Craftsman

I have one of these and it is very comfortable to wear :wink: .

I recall that IWC used to market the Mk XII by inserting small photo adverts of the watch within broadsheet newspapers' share prices' pages ... There were often several insertions on the pages on the same day sometimes centre page ... This was back in 1996/97 when the watch cost approx. £1200 new IIRC.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Craftsman

Even thought it's not a military watch, it is lovely - the XII or the XV are both on my long list...

Master

Wondering seriously about getting an IWC either mk xii or xv,any thoughts on comparisons between these two.?

Journeyman

Chrono24 is a good place to start a search and get a whiff of how the playing field looks..

Right now there are no less than 11 Mark XII listed FS there, 2 of which are lady's models, prices ranging from $2875 to $4800 (full set with bracelet).

http://www.chrono24.com/en/search/index ... tview=list

Since my Mark XI was so close in looks and size to the XII, I instead opted for a Mark XV as a more frequent wearer. For me the larger sized case and eta base movement lends a better contrast to the original and the eta base movement means greater access to an abundance of parts should the need arise. To me the Mark XV represents the last of the truly collectable modern Marks which still retains much of the classic details..

Quote Originally Posted by lambstew
    ......To me the Mark XV represents the last of the truly collectable modern Marks which still retains much of the classic details..
    +1

With nothing more to add.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Master

Thanks for the advice.Had look on Chrono 24,outfit called Maxwatches eu in Germany sells quite a few in good condition with box /papers.Anybody know of them?. Of course could always place wtb here.I think mk xv probably what i'm after.

realvandelft

Captain,

Already successful with finding one?
    Any news on the german seller?

Master

Didn't get much feedback on German seller ,decided to wait on one coming up on sc but then saw the Prs 22 Speedbird from regular tz'er and bought that.Must say very happy with it,its my daily watch and can 't see what i'd gain from spending about x8 to get the IWC ,but really should ask someonewho has both to be fair.

Craftsman

john
    Agree
    I had every pilot / observer model from B-Uhr and including the Mark 9 upwards and then stopped at the Matk X11

Interestingly enough there are 8 different models of the Mark X11 ....at one time I had 6 of them but the remaining 2 were almost impossible to source so gave up and disbanded .

A great watch and IWC icon