closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Big, old-fashioned Longines chrono

Grand Master

Big, old-fashioned Longines chrono

Some might have seen this online if they've been perusing EJ's site over the summer. I found one covered in dust and not displayed which was nice, and liberated it. At the £2k list, it's too much. But discounted, and then shorn of some of the VAT (their "fee" was over 40% of the VAT component, they're all thieves) it made a nice and well-priced alternative to my boring dive/flieger watches although I'll probably have to free one or two of them once the guilt kicks in, and I hardly have any left.

The bezel is a good 40-41mm, as big as I can manage. But it's 15mm thick, with a 36.6mm Valgranges movement inside but at least that puts the date window right at the edge of the dial. The caseback is brushed, blasted and polished - all at once:

Only niggles are the lume isn't great, the second and minute chrono hand colours don't match, and the outer scale is fussy. Otherwise the dial quality is very good, even under a loupe:

Until recently at least, Longines have been very good value even at RRP. But they're going up, and in a year or so their entry-level diver is going to be a grand - where Omega was less than 10 years ago. So I'd get in, if you're interested.

...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Re: Big, old-fashioned Longines chrono

i think thats stunning.
    i prefer it to some of the current offerings.

Absolutely smashing!

On their other recent offerings, the logo on the back is completely bead blasted (no shiny details).

That's very nice. Longines do have some great models hidden away in their range.

regards,
    Nick

Craftsman

:o Wow, that really is a stunner

That is one very nice piece.

Now that's a fine looking piece - got a touch of Zenith about it as well, methinks

Master

Lovely - some of the modern Longines are very under-rated IMO.

The dial is a little too busy for my taste, but I do like it. The Valgranges movement is a great choice for larger cases, I just wish more manufacturers would use it.

Can I ask how much it cost to liberate that one, after the discount and VAT refund?

That is a good looking piece, albeit I think the traditionalist in me would prefer all the sub-dial hands to be the same style.

Enjoy it! 8)

Master

Not bad Andrew. I like the strap, I've tried their bracelets, they feel really cheap and the cheap Rolex hollow bracelet comments ring to mind.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by jk103
    Not bad Andrew. I like the strap, I've tried their bracelets, they feel really cheap and the cheap Rolex hollow bracelet comments ring to mind.
    I've never seen a modern Longines bracelet with hollow links or hollow endlinks. The Hydroconquest does have a stamped diver extension, though.

Which models were you thinking of?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater
    I've never seen a modern Longines bracelet with hollow links or hollow endlinks. The Hydroconquest does have a stamped diver extension, though.

It was the Hydroconquest, I tried it on at a nearby Tourneau, it was also last Summer. I do realize things can change in a year but it put me off enough not to look back.

Craftsman

It was the Hydroconquest, I tried it on at a nearby Tourneau, it was also last Summer. I do realize things can change in a year but it put me off enough not to look back.
    I'm intrigued, as mine (2009 model)has a heavy and solid bracelet, save for the terrible diver's extension.

Back on topic- lovely chrono, that. I do think Longines are very underrated. I don't think they stick with a model range long enough to get a reputation, and this affects the way people see the brand. It would help if they used Chronometer level movements, as well.

Craftsman

That is a very fine looking watch, congrats!
    :)

I'm intrigued, as mine (2009 model)has a heavy and solid bracelet, save for the terrible diver's extension.

Back on topic- lovely chrono, that. I do think Longines are very underrated. I don't think they stick with a model range long enough to get a reputation, and this affects the way people see the brand. It would help if they used Chronometer level movements, as well.
    This is a big question for me right now.

I'm doing some investigation to find out what grade of ETA 2824 (L633) they use in many of their watches. The 'Top' and 'Chronometer' grade are essentially identical in terms of parts and finishing. There have been several contradictory conclusions floating around - some say it is 'standard', many say it is 'elabore' and some say it is 'Top'. If it is indeed 'Top' then you have a chronometer 'grade' movement that is not regulated to perform as a chronometer - hence the 'Top' designation (but it is essentially Chronometer grade).

If you search for L633.5 you will find a video on Youtube and pictures of the movement. Looks lovely but still doesn't tell us much.

If it is found that they use Top grade movements then it is highly likely they do so with other high-end watches in their range.

Craftsman

I'm reasonably sure they use an Elabore grade with signed rotor, and incabloc.

Craftsman

Looks solid as a rock

Great looking Chrono

Ivan
    iwcforme

A very nice watch

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SternG
    The dial is a little too busy for my taste, but I do like it. The Valgranges movement is a great choice for larger cases, I just wish more manufacturers would use it.

Can I ask how much it cost to liberate that one, after the discount and VAT refund?
    It was down to £1,500, of which VAT was £250 of course. I got my calcs wrong; the fee was nearer 25% than 40%. Which isn't an awful lot better!

The strap, BTW, is stamped "Alligator". I see no difference between this and croc-grain calf leather. It looks and feels the same. In fact the only difference is olfactory. It's of very good quality, but the version with the bracelet costs the same at RRP. I'd rather have had the bracelet! The deployant is very nicely made and extremely comfortable, at least.

One of these days I'll have the back off for a look. Other Longines with a Valgranges movement are available with display backs, and the rotor is huge; this makes for some serious "wobble" (being based on a 7750, it only winds one-way).

EDIT: oh and thanks for the comments. A brand to watch I think...

I'm reasonably sure they use an Elabore grade with signed rotor, and incabloc.
    There are more people that say that the movement is 'elabore' than the other options.

I'm going to find out from Longines themselves so we can be absolutely sure.

Exquisite design. Well made too. Reminds me of a Chopard design (probably the large 12) which isn’t a bad thing. :D

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by andrew

It was down to £1,500, of which VAT was £250 of course. I got my calcs wrong; the fee was nearer 25% than 40%. Which isn't an awful lot better!

The strap, BTW, is stamped "Alligator". I see no difference between this and croc-grain calf leather. It looks and feels the same. In fact the only difference is olfactory. It's of very good quality, but the version with the bracelet costs the same at RRP. I'd rather have had the bracelet! The deployant is very nicely made and extremely comfortable, at least.

One of these days I'll have the back off for a look. Other Longines with a Valgranges movement are available with display backs, and the rotor is huge; this makes for some serious "wobble" (being based on a 7750, it only winds one-way).

EDIT: oh and thanks for the comments. A brand to watch I think...
    Sounds like a good deal to me.

So, other than Chopard and Longines (and maybe Glycine?), are there any manufacturers that use the Valgranges movement? Why does it seem to be so scarce? :?

Grand Master

So, other than Chopard and Longines (and maybe Glycine?), are there any manufacturers that use the Valgranges movement? Why does it seem to be so scarce? :?
    Good q. Laco, Certina and (I think) Mido; Victorinox too. Longines uses several variations of course, but despite the positioning of the movement as a sort of super-duper, and very expensive, 7750, it seems to have found favour with a lot of mid-range-y brands as well as niche premium (Concord, Chopard). Probably the expense means that Oris, Hamilton and co don't feel the need to spend on the 16.5"' Valgranges when an 11.5"' ETA 2824 will do - even in a 47mm case :?