closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac OS X Lion

Mac OS X Lion

Anyone upgraded yet ?

I just completed my Mac OS Server installation. Was a little nervous about this. I'm familiar with server upgrades and I run a website, a DNS server, MySQL, Open Directory, iOS compilers, my entire media library ( 600GB~ ) and some other bits and bobs on my server. So I made sure to do another full Software Update and Time Machine backup prior to upgrade, and copied the Lion ( and Lion Server ) install apps to a USB disk ( that I also have the Snow Leopard installer on ) too, just in case.

Then hit the button and ... 45 mins later, including a subsequent iTunes and RAID update post-install, I'm back up and typing this. I think Apple have taken what they have learned from mobile devices about de-cluttering a user interface and making use of gestures, and brought it to the desktop. I normally use the Apple Trackpad anyway ( using a mouse seems very clumsy to me now ) and the Lion improvements have made this, or any other gesture-sensitive input device, almost a must-have. If you use an iPhone or iPad regularly, the similarities in operation will be obvious.

So far so good. A very simple and cheap upgrade. Genuinely one that makes operating the system, as opposed to adding more guff and graphics, better.

Paul

edit: ooh, I say, Colonel Tokei now

Re: Mac OS X Lion

I installed it yesterday too. I had an issue before the upgrade with my MacBook Pro not booting under Snow Leopard so had to restore from my cloned backup. I then updated all the apps installed on the computer, refreshed the clone and did a second clone just in case. After that it was a case of running the installer, waiting 10 minutes (I have an SSD) and the computer booted up under Lion.

I had a couple of issues with the upgrade. the first was when it came to install Java for use by PS. I think the Apple servers must have been taking a hammering because it hung a couple of times. An hour wait sorted that out. I also had an issue with Parallels not playing with the desktops properly. I had to right click on the icon in the Dock, select Options and specify a desktop for it to work. Finally Chrome does't work properly in full screen mode.

As for the OS itself, I'm not sure about the natural scrolling. I'll stick with it for a couple of days to get used to it. I had to tweak the gestures to get a back swipe in Chrome and Finder. I'm not impressed with LaunchPad. It seems very limited at the moment.

All in all it was the smoothest and best major OS upgrade I've performed. I don't think I'll bother with a clean install, even though I've created a USB boot stick, since it works so well. Today I'm going to try a hack to enable TRIM on the SSD.

The "backwards" scrolling is taking a bit of time, but I think I like it. Just noticed the "2 finger gesture" ( :!: ) in Safari for next and previous page, how it gives you a peek at the page as you swipe left or right. And the pinch-to-zoom. Beautiful !

Paul

Auto spelling ( and grammar ) correction too.

That should reduce the number of "Some of my photo's" threads :lol:

As the reviewer from Ars Technica wrote, "Apple appears tired of dragging people kicking and screaming into the future; with Lion, it has simply decided to leave without us..."

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Tokei
    The "backwards" scrolling is taking a bit of time, but I think I like it. Just noticed the "2 finger gesture" ( :!: ) in Safari for next and previous page, how it gives you a peek at the page as you swipe left or right. And the pinch-to-zoom. Beautiful !

Paul
    In the gestures I've changed "Swipe between pages" to "Swipe with 2 or 3 fingers". That gives the nice animation in Safari and brings back the swiping gesture for going back and forward in Finder and Chrome. That change alters "Swipe between full-screen apps" to "Swipe left or right with four fingers" and "Mission Control" to "Swipe up with four fingers". I've also enabled App Expose. Have you tried double tapping with 2 fingers to zoom in like you do on an iPhone and double tapping with 3 fingers to get a definition from the dictionary?

I'd also suggest getting BetterTouchTool. It's a great utility for extending gesture support. I thought it would be put out to pasture with Lion but it still has a place. I've set up a few extra gestures:

General

Click bottom left/right - enter/exit full screen mode

Safari & Chrome

3 finger swipe down - scroll to top of page
    3 finger swipe up - scroll to bottom of page
    Tap bottom right - switch 1 tab to the right
    Tap bottom left - switch 1 tab to the left
    4 finger click - New tab

^ nice !

This was how I worked before I allowed Saint Steve into my life :

This how I work now :

:drunken:

Paul

I need to instal Lion on two Macs and I'm not that good with technical stuff ... However, I've found this link http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/08/make-a-b ... ash-drive/ and will be using a USB Flash Drive to do the job.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

I've used that to create a Lion USB stick too.

^ or you could just copy the downloaded "Lion Installer.app" ( using a USB stick, SD card, or DVD-R ) to the other computer and run it. The OS X license allows you to do this. The link above is about making a bootable USB stick, which is useful if your hard disk becomes ruined completely and you need to start again with a blank disk, but not necessary for the upgrade.

ooh just found the gesture page-turn in iCal, with it's semi-translucent page effect. Essential stuff this 8)

Paul

I have decided to get a trackpad as I think Lion makes better use of gestures with it than the Magic mouse

Quote Originally Posted by b11ocx
    I have decided to get a trackpad as I think Lion makes better use of gestures with it than the Magic mouse
    I've been using a Magic Trackpad with my iMac since it came out and love it. So much easier on the wrist than a mouse. The only time I have issues is when I want to do some fine photo editing, at which point I switch to a real mouse (not the Magic Mouse which I hate).

Blog Entries

Paul
    Paul, you know you can change the inverted scrolling don't you?

^ cheers yes, but after a few hours I'm getting used to it. I only have that server as my desktop computer and an iPad as a portable device, so the more similar the UIs are, the better for my aged brain 8)

Master

Was just about to go for it then spotted an email from Sonos, I need to wait for their update 1st :o(

Thomas Reid

Auto spelling ( and grammar ) correction too.

That should reduce the number of "Some of my photo's" threads :lol:

As the reviewer from Ars Technica wrote, "Apple appears tired of dragging people kicking and screaming into the future; with Lion, it has simply decided to leave without us..."

Paul
    Ah, and I thought it was an advantage that my desktop looks just about the same as it looked 10-12 years ago. :)

Best wishes,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Maris
    Was just about to go for it then spotted an email from Sonos, I need to wait for their update 1st :o(
    I virtually never use the desktop controller for some reason.

^ the revolution is in how you and the computer interact, rather, as has been the case with many OS revisions since graphics chips power became pervasive, how it looks.

All joviality about translucent page turns conjured with a flick of the finger aside, I really do think the human/computer interface is being advanced, in a good and interesting way, by Apple's gesture implementation on mobile and now desktop devices. If I can stretch it a little, I believe we are witnessing/ignoring/mocking/participating-in ( as appropriate :wink: ) the development of a "gesture language", with potential far in advance of the tradional desktop metaphor with mouse interaction.

Paul

Thomas Reid

^ the revolution is in how you and the computer interact, rather, as has been the case with many OS revisions since graphics chips power became pervasive, how it looks.

All joviality about translucent page turns conjured with a flick of the finger aside, I really do think the human/computer interface is being advanced, in a good and interesting way, by Apple's gesture implementation on mobile and now desktop devices. If I can stretch it a little, I believe we are witnessing/ignoring/mocking/participating-in ( as appropriate :wink: ) the development of a "gesture language", with potential far in advance of the tradional desktop metaphor with mouse interaction.

Paul
    Gestures inputs are relatively crude, from what I understand of them. My guess is that they are fine for sliding scales, direction and choices between previously defined options, but not for fine work.[1] The mouse is pretty dodgy as well. For words, the keyboard is going to take some beating. I could see (as it were) voice taking over. For fine, interesting work, such as drawing and photo manipulation, a tablet/pen input looks like a winner, although I've yet to get one (it is on my list).

[1]There's a reason that people paint with fine brushes (tools) rather than their fingers.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS I'm seldom within reach of the display. One interesting possibility would be to have a pad on which one could use gestures for crude manipulation (e.g., surfing and computer control), but could also be used with a tool (e.g., a pen) for finer work. That I would like.
    RLF

^
    Bob

The top surface of Apple's mouse is a trackpad similar to those used on laptops, and may be used for gestures. Personally, I don't use a mouse at all. I have an Apple Trackpad and, for very rare artistic moments, an Intuous Tablet with pen. I do own a mouse, it lives in a drawer but my son uses it from time to time as he likes the scroll wheel. He is 7 years old and began computer use with a mouse. His younger brother has never used one, and with access only to the Trackpad and an iPad, is fully gesture-fluent :)

Paul

Master

Nor me but without the update you wont be able to play music stored on your Mac.

Thomas Reid

^
    Bob

The top surface of Apple's mouse is a trackpad similar to those used on laptops, and may be used for gestures. Personally, I don't use a mouse at all. I have an Apple Trackpad and, for very rare artistic moments, an Intuous Tablet with pen. I do own a mouse, it lives in a drawer but my son uses it from time to time as he likes the scroll wheel. He is 7 years old and began computer use with a mouse. His younger brother has never used one, and with access only to the Trackpad and an iPad, is fully gesture-fluent :)

Paul
    The Intuos 4 medium is what I want.

Best wishes,
    Bob

PS I seldom use a mouse, preferring a keyboard.
    RLF

Master

^
    His younger brother has never used one, and with access only to the Trackpad and an iPad, is fully gesture-fluent :)

Paul
    My 4-year old likewise, in fact he has (inadvertently in some cases of course) taught me quite a few - because my first port-of-call having been used to traditional mouse-keyboard interface for 25 years now is just that, whereas he discovered by using his fingers on the mousepad things happened and so that is his first port-of-call. Fluent is an exageration but he's certainly getting the hang of it. He is pretty fluent using the iPad though, as is his grandfather who struggles to get to grips with traditional Windows.

Journeyman

Macintouch has an in-depth review here. Worth reading I think.

So far I have Lion on two laptops (one is a MacBook Air) and a 6-month old iMac and have no problems to report. On my older MacBook one piece of software was removed during installation to a folder called Incompatible Software. It was just a demo I had installed in 2009 and forgotten about.

I use Adobe Creative Suite a fair bit, particularly InDesign, and have no compatibility problems to report here either (using CS 5.5). Also BBEdit, another high-use app for me, seems just fine.

Nor me but without the update you wont be able to play music stored on your Mac.
    I use NAS anyway, so not a problem for me.

Just tested it though in a moment of panic :shock:

This thread has made interesting reading as I have not yet made my mind up on the upgrade. I run an architect practice with two imacs, a mac book pro and a mini-mac with a mirrored drive back-up as the server and the upgrade will cause a not inconsiderable amount of down-time. When we do our graphics work in CS5, the bamboo pads are fantastic- with gesture manipulation and a pen for precise work. None of us have managed to get on with anything other than the meeces for our CAD work, although I suspect if I let my seven year old son at the CAD package, he will undoubtedly find a way to make it work!

I am going to continue to ponder the validity of the upgrade and will keep an eye on this thread.

Installed today on 2 of our Macs - no problems with FCP X, or at least none that weren't there previously....

Best

Richard

Thomas Reid

Quote Originally Posted by jmarchitect
    This thread has made interesting reading as I have not yet made my mind up on the upgrade. I run an architect practice with two imacs, a mac book pro and a mini-mac with a mirrored drive back-up as the server and the upgrade will cause a not inconsiderable amount of down-time. When we do our graphics work in CS5, the bamboo pads are fantastic- with gesture manipulation and a pen for precise work. None of us have managed to get on with anything other than the meeces for our CAD work, although I suspect if I let my seven year old son at the CAD package, he will undoubtedly find a way to make it work!

I am going to continue to ponder the validity of the upgrade and will keep an eye on this thread.
    I've just been looking at pads (again). The Wacom Bamboo Fun touch and pen medium can be got for about 136 GBPs; the Intuos4 medium is about 280 GBPs. I take it that getting at least a medium is a good idea. Do you know whether there would be any great advantage for photo work and graphics work in getting the Intuos?

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman

Installed Lion today, it was a simple straight forward update. For some reason since the install it doesn't let me update itunes to 10.4, the native lion version, has anyone else had this problem?

Updated both computers yesterday evening without any problem. Spotlight indexing took good 3 hours on each machine and once it was over both are running strong.

There are two things that annoy me. When Mail is in fullscreen and you start new mail message, it is impossible to switch back to main Mail window. In case you want to look at other mail you should save draft, look, open draft, write. Second thing is that safaristand is not working under Lion and I can't access various searches from context menu.

I reconfigured some gestures back to SL type, unchecked "natural behaviour" because of it seems so unnatural that I will stick to swipe down - move page up.

Blog Entries

Did the upgrade yesterday in the afternoon... absolutely NO problems and it didn't take long. So far very pleased with the outcome, Lion is definitely a step in the right direction.
    And by now I'm used to the "natural" scrolling too ;)
    Thought about turning it back to how it was before, but then decided to give it a shot.

Here's a question. My ancient iMac isn't supported by Lion. If I buy a new Mac, what's the migration process, given that I can't use Time Machine, as it will presumably restore my current Snow Leopard Mac over the shiny new one running Lion?

You might be able to migrate from the Mac using target disk mode or a network migration.

Apparently, Apple are happy to do it for me free of charge if I take my old Mac in to the local Apple Store when I buy a new one, but I was hoping there was an easy way I could do it myself. Target disk mode, I'd forgotten about. Thanks, Phil.

Master

Upgraded tonight, scrolling is great but flipped to reverse as it makes more sense for me.

Took half an hour and all very smooth.

Dunno if it's my imagination but it seems a bit snappier especially Safari.

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier

I've just been looking at pads (again). The Wacom Bamboo Fun touch and pen medium can be got for about 136 GBPs; the Intuos4 medium is about 280 GBPs. I take it that getting at least a medium is a good idea. Do you know whether there would be any great advantage for photo work and graphics work in getting the Intuos?

Best wishes,
    Bob
    The one I have is the Bamboo Touch and Pen- I'm not sure that it comes in varying sizes and if I recall correctly it was just short of 100GBP. I see they can be picked up for as little as 75GBP now. It is a perfect size for what we do and the pen is great for fine art work in photoshop and it is possible to use the multi gestures on the pad whilst holding the pen in the crook of the finger- all very intuitive and ergonomic and it is possible to quickly navigate around large files. I looked at an Intuos online and couldn't justify spending more than double (at that time) for something which only gets light use. I can't comment on which would be best for your photo work as I haven't used the intuos but the bamboo has been a great investment for us.

All the best.

John

Thomas Reid

The one I have is the Bamboo Touch and Pen- I'm not sure that it comes in varying sizes and if I recall correctly it was just short of 100GBP. I see they can be picked up for as little as 75GBP now. It is a perfect size for what we do and the pen is great for fine art work in photoshop and it is possible to use the multi gestures on the pad whilst holding the pen in the crook of the finger- all very intuitive and ergonomic and it is possible to quickly navigate around large files. I looked at an Intuos online and couldn't justify spending more than double (at that time) for something which only gets light use. I can't comment on which would be best for your photo work as I haven't used the intuos but the bamboo has been a great investment for us.

All the best.

John
    Thanks. I got one. By reserving online, it was 69GBP at PC World. I plugged it in before I restarted the computer, and linux recognized it, automatically loading the appropriate kernel modules (drivers). It seems to work. I suspect that I'll need read something about how it works, however. Picking and clicking is fine, but I haven't yet worked out scrolling. Thanks again.

Best wishes,
    Bob

Craftsman

Updated all three of my macs for only one fee. Bargain. I like lots of the changes, from changing back through web pages to little graphical touches like to ical. I couldn't get on with the 'natural' scrolling so changed that back, and on the mrs mac (2006 iMac) all the folder icons are now huge with no way (I know of) to change them smaller!

Other than that I like it lots. Airdrop is nice and easy for me to move files around between machines now.

Craftsman

^ or you could just copy the downloaded "Lion Installer.app" ( using a USB stick, SD card, or DVD-R ) to the other computer and run it. The OS X license allows you to do this. The link above is about making a bootable USB stick, which is useful if your hard disk becomes ruined completely and you need to start again with a blank disk, but not necessary for the upgrade.

ooh just found the gesture page-turn in iCal, with it's semi-translucent page effect. Essential stuff this 8)

Paul
    Apologies for a daft question but where would I find the Lion Installer.app? Where is the default location for mac app store downloads? I have paid for, downloaded and installed Lion on my imac, and would like to put it on my macbook via a USB drive rather than downloading the 4gb file again?

My other app store downloads appear under applications, however I can't find the Lion Installer there to copy onto my USB stick. Am I looking in the wrong place or just being even more dense than usual?

^ there should be a Lion icon in your dock after buying the upgrade from Apple. Right-click on this and select "show in Finder". Copy this to your USB device.

Or longer but even easier, log into the app store on the other computer ( with the same Apple ID ) and download it again ( from the previous purchases tab ) for no cost.

Paul

Blog Entries

Downloading it right now :)
    Will set about Imac first, then my macbook pro, then the wifey's macbook (much later)
    z

Craftsman

^ there should be a Lion icon in your dock after buying the upgrade from Apple. Right-click on this and select "show in Finder". Copy this to your USB device.

Or longer but even easier, log into the app store on the other computer ( with the same Apple ID ) and download it again ( from the previous purchases tab ) for no cost.

Paul

Thanks for the suggestion but the icon is not there. There was an icon when I first downloaded Lion towards the right hand side of the dock, I clicked on it to install the new OS on my imac, however when the install was completed the icon was no longer there. I am aware that I can re-download it via the app store on my macbook but I am trying to avoid downloading such a large file for a second time.

Mac OS X Lion

From memory, the file was installed under a subfolder of Applications.

Paul

I followed the installation process and installed Lion onto my MBP, but don't know how to now install it onto my MB presumably I don't need to purchase it again?

Can someone help please!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman

just log in with your apple ID and you won't be charged. It will say to click ok to purchase again for free.

Regards,

Matt.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by smoz

Paul

Thanks for the suggestion but the icon is not there. There was an icon when I first downloaded Lion towards the right hand side of the dock, I clicked on it to install the new OS on my imac, however when the install was completed the icon was no longer there. I am aware that I can re-download it via the app store on my macbook but I am trying to avoid downloading such a large file for a second time.
    When you first downloaded it you could have clicked "show in finder" then burnt it to a DVD, then installed it.
    Unfortunately you`ll have to download it again once installed.

Just downloaded and installed Lion...very cool! Love it! 8)

Carbonite!

A word of warning for anyone (like me) who uses Carbonite for back-up purposes... it's not compatible with Lion and it won't work if you go for the upgrade.

They're working on it, and bearing in mind they're usually pretty quick it's worth waiting a bit, I'd say.

Blog Entries

When you first downloaded it you could have clicked "show in finder" then burnt it to a DVD, then installed it.
    Top tip - it took a while to D/L so burning a DVD now as I don't want to repeat it for each install

cheers

z

I started download at 12 midnight, it's only downloaded a third so far!!! :shock:

Methinks the wife is to blame!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by smoz

Paul

Cheers, in that case I will re-download it on the macbook, then make a copy before installing.