closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: TAG Heuer Aquagraph

TAG Heuer Aquagraph

I recently swapped my Triple Date Speedmaster for this TAG Aquagraph. Some may say a strange move, but to me it made sense. The thing is I have always had a thing for TAG's ever since I found an old 80's F1 in a park when I was 12 years old, that watch started me on the road to WISdom and I have always looked fondly on TAG Heuer. The problem was with so many other more expensive or sought after brands on my watch rader I lost interest, preferring to pick up Omega's, Rolex's, Breitlings, Tudors and so on.

I remember seeing the Aquagraph when it was released, at the time I wasn't in a position to buy one but I always admired it. It seemed to be a cut above anything else in TAG's range and I wanted one, badly!

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, I had just traded my Tudor Sub for a Speedmaster Triple Date, a nice enough watch, just not me. Then whilst in bed one night I decided there and then that I wanted an Aquagraph, I don't know why but in most cases the best decisions I make are on the spur of the moment. So I began the search.........................

I looked on SC and sure enough there was one for sale, I sold the Speedie and moved on the TAG. It arrived earlier this week, here are my thoughts.................

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Aquagraph is a stunning watch (I wont go into detail about the movement as there's plenty of other resources online for that and I am not a movement expert by any means), its one of those watches that has something about it. I don't know what it is but normally I know if I am going to like a watch within 10 seconds of opening the box and holding it.

Firstly the box is great, mine came with the dive kit which was an extra but IMO well worth the extra cash both when new and now when buying used. When you open it the smell of vanilla from the rubber strap is lovely, its nicely layed out with cut outs in the foam for the strap, divers extension, tool and watch. There's also a slot for the paperwork and a dive chart.

When you remove the watch the first thing you notice is its heavy! To me that means well put together, but other may disagree. It came on the bracelet which is very nice and solid, however I prefer the rubber but more on straps later. The dial is Beautiful, its a deep glossy black that shimmers in the light and the yellow hands really set it off nicely.

The chronograph function works slightly differently to most in as far the seconds and minutes work in the same way as the time hands i.e the second hand counts 60 seconds and the minute hand 60 minutes, hour are displayed on the dial at 6 o'clock. This works well and really only one of the 3 subdials is used for the chronograph - with the seconds at 3 o'clock (with the sweeping yellow second hand) and a 24 hr display and 9 o'clock. The pushers are covered in rubber which makes them soft to touch but still tough, they compress very nicely and give a nice click when pushed. The crown is a screw down affair that has a yellow ring visible from the top to let you no when its not screwed down fully.

The bezel is interesting, it needs to be pushed down to turn. This avoids it getting turned inadvertently whilst diving, something I don't worry about in the bath! It is however neat and fun to play around with, also if your like me and are anal about the bezel lining up its perfect! Over on the other side there is an automatic helium escape valve.

The bracelet is very nice but I find the large crown does dig in the back of my hand a little so for the majority of the time I will use the rubber which, is excellent. It has rubber end links that fit snug between the lugs giving the rubber flexibility to sit close to the wrist. I found this to be the comfiest rubber I have ever had.

Other things to note:

*The lume is brilliant, it lights up like a Christmas tree at night and anywhere slightly dusky for that matter!
    *The case and bracelet are brushed all over, not a polished link in slight!
    *The case back is nicely engraved
    *The clasp on the bracelet is very sold with 2 push buttons to open

Overall I love this watch, it has also rekindled a love for TAG that I thought had gone. I have owned plenty of watches and I have to say honestly the quality of the Aquagraph IMO beats them all. It feels as though it was built with a purpose to put TAG back on the map, to show that their not just a fashion brand and to prove they can compete with the like of Omega and Breitling. I would love to say this will be a keeper, however I suppose not, knowing me.

Re: TAG Heuer Aquagraph

Thanks for the interesting review :thumbleft:

I'm a big fan of the brand and this certainly exemplifies why. If only they included a date :drunken:

Excellent review, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marios
    Thanks for the interesting review :thumbleft:

I'm a big fan of the brand and this certainly exemplifies why. If only they included a date :drunken:

Yes I agree, a date would make it perfect.

Actually, it's perfect without the date - so there :P

I echo your findings - I also thought it was cool introduction and lusted after one for quite a while. I did get one eventually but chopped it for another.

I am sure it's a future classic
    Gray

Master

thought Monaco was the only Tag for me but like the look of that...

Nice review thanks for posting, i like the way the small cronograph hands don't spoil the clarity of the dial.

I had one of these for years, lovely watch, but I had to replace the rubber covers on the chrono pushers more times than I can remember great idea to have a chronograph that you can use underwater but rubber is not a resilient material when stretched over metal.

It never occured to me until looking at these pictures that if you could source the covers, you could probably fit them yourself........could have saved my self hundreds of pounds and weeks of waiting.

beautiful bracelet though.

Excellent review and watch! thanks :)

Banned

My first speed poster has been spotted :blackeye:

I'm not really a huge Tag fan, but I must admit this one has been on my radar for some time, super cool watch, and a good review. Thanks

Ahhhh... my first "proper" Watch!! fantastic review... thanks for the memories!!

Craftsman

Not my cup of tea :shock: .

One of the few Tags I like!

Nice diving tool.

There will be a time in the near future when I will pick up one of these nice Aquagraphs. :-)

Thx for the review.

Hi,
    I know a jammy person who got the all steel version with black bezel and paid £1450 from Beaverbrooks Got it Thursday, I nearly hacked his wrist off with a butter knife :twisted:

Great post, good review :bounce:

Love the look of this beauty :wink:

Nice watch, good review too.
    Well done

Craftsman

Considering to get this watch for the summer, can someone comment the rubber pushers? Are they solid rubber or just like a bubble on top of a metall pusher?

Excellent review, thanks.