closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Panerai Rant!!

Master

Panerai Rant!!

Recently I returned my Sub 0024 to the AD as the minute hand fell off :( I got it back after 4 weeks, which was great. I put it on a few days later and found that at 11:50pm the date changed, a tad early and as it wasn't like that before returned it to the AD and asked them to send it back.
    Today I get a letter from Panerai asking for £118 for a service to replace the date wheel mechanism as it's been 'accidentally damaged by the user'; how very dare they!
    Straight back onto the AD and he tells me that Panerai seem to be back to their old tricks of blaming everyone but themselves; WTF?! :shock:
    Is it me or is this unacceptable? There's no way I'm going to fork out the fee for what is obviously their error-if not them, then why did they return the watch to me in this condition after the first warranty repair?

rant over.

Re: Panerai Rant!!

completely unacceptable.. I would cause a massive stink.. and get your AD to sort it out as thats your point of contact/sale. (unfit for purpose comes to mind)

Agree, throw it straight back at them!! :evil:
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Journeyman

unacceptable, though it can become a problem to prove that the issue was there straight away after the first repair.

Grand Master

The one thing that put me off panerai was their servicing and back up, i honestly don't think i had a single good experience, they would take 4 months to fix something, then when i get it back i would find it wasn't done properly and would have to send it back yet again in the hope that they could actually fix it second time round.

It's not good knowing that they're still not that good, i thought they'd sorted it out with their sevice centre?

Very interesting. I'd been thinking about getting one but at the prices they charge this sort of feedback puts me right off.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, mate - hope you get it sorted soon.

you are not alone. My 305 is in there at the moment as it has an issues with the oscilating weight which they say needs replacing and then servicing and it is down to me. It just started losing time and they said I was at fault. Cost £480.00 for that plus the service, take it or leave it. Given it has the in house movement I am fooked and have to pay.

subscribing the topic. And wishing good luck to you !

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by emgee
    Recently I returned my Sub 0024 to the AD as the minute hand fell off :( I got it back after 4 weeks, which was great. I put it on a few days later and found that at 11:50pm the date changed, a tad early and as it wasn't like that before returned it to the AD and asked them to send it back.
    Today I get a letter from Panerai asking for £118 for a service to replace the date wheel mechanism as it's been 'accidentally damaged by the user'; how very dare they!
    Straight back onto the AD and he tells me that Panerai seem to be back to their old tricks of blaming everyone but themselves; WTF?! :shock:
    Is it me or is this unacceptable? There's no way I'm going to fork out the fee for what is obviously their error-if not them, then why did they return the watch to me in this condition after the first warranty repair?

rant over.

Don't give in to them, i'm sure you wont. How do they explain it to be your fault exactly?

Between the UK and factory service centres they fcuked my 233 royally, for which i ultimately got a refund. I referred to this in another thread very recently. I have little faith in them if i'm honest about it, though i can't help but like their product, unfortunately :(

Quote Originally Posted by langdalematt
    you are not alone. My 305 is in there at the moment as it has an issues with the oscilating weight which they say needs replacing and then servicing and it is down to me. It just started losing time and they said I was at fault. Cost £480.00 for that plus the service, take it or leave it. Given it has the in house movement I am fooked and have to pay.

Wasn't yours bought new?

Very disappointing and totally unacceptable.

Fashion brands tend not to have great customer service, Panerai are no different to many.
    Get if fixed, sell it and look elsewhere.

This is one of the reasons I prefer to not have the inhouse panerai movement. - Once the warranty is up I should be able to get my 025 serviced by a decent watchmaker instead..

Blog Entries

These sort of happenings make me turn away from the big brands more and more.
    Unacceptable!

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Cause a fuss and do not give up....take it up with the AD/Panerai..whatever it takes....things will never improve if people just shrug their shoulders and accept their lot!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

not on.
    good luck with the stink kick!

Craftsman

Panerai did exactly the same thing to me. A couple of years ago I sent in my gmt because it had stopped holding power and would only last 12 hours when fully wound. My AD sent it in, it was returned 8 weeks later, power fixed but now the GMT hand wasn't working , so my AD sent it back and they said I had dropped it or significantly knocked it and they wanted around 500 pounds to fix it.

I was furious , luckily I have a very good relationship with my AD who argued my case for me and got the work done for free.

The most interesting part about the whole affair was my AD told me that it was not the first time he had experienced Panerai doing the same thing.

Put me right off the brand.

James.

Master

Just got off the phone with the AD (who are great BTW); they've given Panerai the news to fix it and if all else fails then the AD will pick up the tab; I don't fancy Panerai's chances in the long run if they keep fobbing off and upsetting customers-who hopefully will vote with their feet and look to other brands (though I doubt it will make any difference). I'll probably keep it (as others have said they are great watches to look at and when they work!)-but doubt I'll buy another after this experience. Sad though as it's the service centre who's at fault here.

Master

Good news that you're not having to shell out for the repair, bad news that they even tried to get you to!
    Personally, a watch changing date ten minutes early wouldnt bother me so it wouldn't have gone back but we're all different.

Hope it comes back soon, fixed.

Panerai Rant!!

I say old chap, these are luxury items for the seriously rich. If you can't afford to pay, don't play. :-) ;-) :-)

Seriously, that's a joke. Really it is ;-)

But I do believe that's the attitude of a lot of the aftersales newbies recruited into fast growing brands. It's all silly money to a lot of them and I guess many folks just pay up.

Shameful behaviour
    Gray

11.50... :lol:
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master

Quote Originally Posted by gray
    I say old chap, these are luxury items for the seriously rich. If you can't afford to pay, don't play. :-) ;-) :-)

But I do believe that's the attitude of a lot of the aftersales newbies recruited into fast growing brands. It's all silly money to a lot of them and I guess many folks just pay up.

Shameful behaviour
    My mistake but perhaps I should have said that the watch is only 4 months old (see my previous thread on the subject of this particular watch) so still in warranty! If it hadn't and I had caused the damage then I would have been happy to pay-I'm no mechanical watch newbie and have the means to service my watches, cars and bike etc. I was simply trying to point out that this Panerai service centre was trying to have one over on one of its customers-whether the customer is of substantial financial means shouldn't come into it.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM
    11.50... :lol:
    I know, I know, hardly worth moaning about but it didn't do it before they messed about with it and a £4k watch should work-perfectly! :twisted:

Journeyman

I am a fresh newbie, so still reading and learning :-)
    Also dreaming of a panerai, but after reading this i am not sure anymore. Or is this not that common...
    i read more negative reactions about their inhouse movement. I was saving for a 359, also inhouse. Is that a bad choice?

Is this the same with other big brands like: Jaeger or IWC or ...

Cheers
    David

Quote Originally Posted by emgee

Shameful behaviour
    My mistake but perhaps I should have said that the watch is only 4 months old (see my previous thread on the subject of this particular watch) so still in warranty! If it hadn't and I had caused the damage then I would have been happy to pay-I'm no mechanical watch newbie and have the means to service my watches, cars and bike etc. I was simply trying to point out that this Panerai service centre was trying to have one over on one of its customers-whether the customer is of substantial financial means shouldn't come into it.
    Seriously, I was joking, really I was.

... and, as I said, their behviour is shameful.

The warranty is incidental, they damaged it in their care and are responsible.

Demand a new one :wink:
    Gray

Master
    Blog Entries

I have found RIS/Panerai to be both excellent and dire. Sadly though the memory of the 'dire' lasts much longer than the excellent. Unfortunately and on balance, the dire was proportionately of much greater significance too in my case :(

Outside of PP who supposedly are 100% at getting things right, though charge a ransom for that privilege, there perhaps isn't much one can buy to avoid such possibilities. Even Rolex get it wrong from time to time, ime.

I've owned a couple of Pam's and liked them at the time. The chat on a well known forum and the thought of ridiculously expensive servicing plus this kind of treatment put me off the brand. Would I buy another one? Well that 305 on SC looks pretty tempting :D

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman
    I have found RIS/Panerai to be both excellent and dire. Sadly though the memory of the 'dire' lasts much longer than the excellent. Unfortunately and on balance, the dire was proportionately of much greater significance too in my case :(

Outside of PP who supposedly are 100% at getting things right, though charge a ransom for that privilege, there perhaps isn't much one can buy to avoid such possibilities. Even Rolex get it wrong from time to time, ime.
    I hear Hublot know a thing or two about customer service, although not owning one myself can't back up with any personal experience.

Master

My friend's uncle has a Radiomir that he overwound and therefore errr, broke! So he took it to his AD and as it was out of warranty, they said it won't be a cheap repair!

It came back a few weeks later and Panerais hadn't charged a penny. They said it was repaired as a goodwill gesture!

What an utter disgrace. Don't take any nonsense off them.

Sadly, I had issues with several new Panerai's and the way I was treated was just plain awful. Even the AD was embarrassed, whether when shown an issues with a new watch or when a watch was retuned for repair with the same damn issue still present.

Re OP: For any watch, let alone a watch under warranty that is just plain dreadful customer service. Really shockingly poor.

I'm going to toe the line and pop my 233 into Panerai for a 5 year maintenance trip at some point this summer. Hope to report nothing but excellent service :!:

Baz, don't make me any more nervous please :lol:

I know its a pain and its not something a customer should be having to do, but given some of the stories on here would it not be worth compiling a condition report when taking it in initially, which the AD agrees is the case. Then do a similar one when the watch is returned. That way any major issues would potentially be picked up?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by darrenw
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowman

I hear Hublot know a thing or two about customer service, although not owning one myself can't back up with any personal experience.
    Bremont aren't too shabby either! ;)

Shameful behaviour from a premium brand, are the servicing centre an actual Panerai one?

Journeyman

Re: Panerai Rant!! That's a load of crap------>

The date is changing early only because the hands need to be reset, A local could rectify that in about 10 minutes,

Joel M

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joel M in New Jersey
    The date is changing early only because the hands need to be reset, A local could rectify that in about 10 minutes,

Joel M
    Thanks for this down to earth observation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla

Joel M
    Down to earth for sure.

But that makes it even worse to ask a lot of money for it :shock: :roll:

Daddel.

Master

A couple of bad experiences on a watch forum :shock: not. me thinks the brand bashers are making a meal of this :roll:.

as with any premium brand most have customer service hiccups, other brands don't make mistakes eh.

Mark

I'm always astonished how well known companies/brands expect their customers to put up with woeful service, it's almost a "this is how it is so what are you going to do about it".

I hate complaining about anything but I have suffered some woeful service from various companies in my time and I keep going until a satisfactory conclusion is reached.

I have been toying with a 312 for some time now instead of my current 111 but with the in house movement of the 312 and the stories I am reading here I am becoming less inclined.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by sevvy
    I'm always astonished how well known companies/brands expect their customers to put up with woeful service, it's almost a "this is how it is so what are you going to do about it".

I hate complaining about anything but I have suffered some woeful service from various companies in my time and I keep going until a satisfactory conclusion is reached.

I have been toying with a 312 for some time now instead of my current 111 but with the in house movement of the 312 and the stories I am reading here I am becoming less inclined.

if you was a member of every brand forum you would probably have nothing :D most of the top brand forums i am a member of have pity-full woe stories about shoddy workmanship and poor customer service, the true power of a forum is being able to deal with these when they arise, people with the same problems,service, i am not put off by a few probs and anyone that is is not living in the real world,

expect problems,

forum power get results,

Mark

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Volvomanuk
    A couple of bad experiences on a watch forum :shock: not. me thinks the brand bashers are making a meal of this :roll:.

as with any premium brand most have customer service hiccups, other brands don't make mistakes eh.

Mark

You're unlikely to find a more dedicated brand follower than me, i'm not brand bashing. I am however exposing the real facts and truths behind my personal experiences, which are reasonably comprehensive with the Panerai brand. Their treatment of my £8K+ watch was reprehensible!

Quote Originally Posted by bydandie
    Shameful behaviour from a premium brand, are the servicing centre an actual Panerai one?

All Richemont owned brands are housed in one service centre in north London and therefore are 'in house' watchmakers.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla

Joel M

Yes, thanks. probably done when they fit the new minute hand!

Mark
    This has been discussed before on several occasions.

We all know it is an impossibity for all watch manufacturer to always produced perfect watches all of the time. We know that the odd watch can slip through the QC process. Human error is understandable and of course, we all know that it can be a little frustrating.

So what is the norm for such an issue to arise? Fairly scarce or maybe even rare? I don't know. There are a lot of watches being produced by premium manufacturer each year. My comments earlier in this thread were based solely on Panerai and my personal experiences. I collected the brand from 2004 to around 2009. In that time I owned over a dozen Panerai's and most were purchased new when retails were a little different to what they are now. I had to send five new Panerai's for repairs and that works out at around 33% needing attention. Now, is that normal? I doubt it. I do know that Panerai's QC issues have improved a lot since then but it certainly makes me think about the brand a little more than most other brands, that is for sure.

Mark
    Seems to me that those with experience are commenting on their experience - some good, some bad. Like all brands.

I am curious, who are these brand bashers jumping on the badwagon?

Personlly, I've had first class service from Panerai - that does not preclude me from believing the OP's example is shameful, and indeed some of the others quoted.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977
    The one thing that put me off panerai was their servicing and back up, i honestly don't think i had a single good experience, they would take 4 months to fix something, then when i get it back i would find it wasn't done properly and would have to send it back yet again in the hope that they could actually fix it second time round.

It's not good knowing that they're still not that good, i thought they'd sorted it out with their sevice centre?
    Same here - owned 3, all had issues from new - and when they came back from service there were stupid issues, like glued in screwbars (with the wrong type of Loctite apparently) :shock:

This was back then they were £1800 - £2.5k, got rid and won't have another even though I like the style. In comparison to e.g Omega/Rolex, overpriced tat imho :evil:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad

Same here - owned 3, all had issues from new - and when they came back from service there were stupid issues, like glued in screwbars (with the wrong type of Loctite apparently) :shock:
    Gets even harder to understand that buyers pay their fashionable pricing.

The brand value ís real but you should be paying for the extra of quality assurance of which after sales is an important part. At this price uplift level for the brand thing there should be no unsatifactory resolved after sales issue; nóne.

The unacceptable essence of the down to earth solution to the 10 minutes issue was picked up by Daddel.
    A thing like that should be solved not only for free but with the sincerest appologies and a free goody by Panerai :!:

On a side note it also goes to show the level of watchmaker skills of the AD that tells you that quartz watches are good but cannot be repaired :idea:

that does sound bad,the only way that this makes sense to me is they didn't realize the watch had already been worked on,so when they saw the damage to the date wheel they thought maybe you had either openned the watch or dropped it? when in all likelihood it was them that damaged the watch on the first repair.

Grand Master

I also have had quite a few Panerai over the years and can report that whilst most have been perfect there were 2 that developed minor faults, one mechanical and one hardware related (strap release mech)

On both occasions they were returned to Switzerland and the process took 12 weeks+, this is annoying but not life changing, with patinece and time they returned and were perfect. If you speak to any AD they will tell you Panerai or rather Richmont are a nightmare for reliable pipeline times and information but on the whole beautiful historic watches which if you like them are a pleasure to own
    RIAC

Master

Mark
    Seems to me that those with experience are commenting on their experience - some good, some bad. Like all brands.

Personlly, I've had first class service from Panerai - that does not preclude me from believing the OP's example is shameful, and indeed some of the others quoted.

Hi read the thread,

Some posts are quoting Panerai as fashionable accessories again :roll: a bit to quick on the old bandwagon, as to how you get my post to lead a shameful example of the OP sharing there experiences is beyond me, they should name and shame it is unacceptable, so don't include your own twist on my post to suit yours, it's jolly bad form.

Craftsman

All comments so far have appeared neutral and non brand bashing to me.

I think the implication is that the Build Quality and Customer Service issues reinforce some peoples opinion that the money you pay is not spent on the watches (nor on the CS) thus raising the issue of what are you paying for ?

I personally have no experience of the brand but the number of issues that appear on here and after a Google search, would put me off dipping my toe into it, with the in house movement at least !

I'm not sure what a Fashion Brand is, but I'm sure they would be unhappy with up to 33% non perfect manufacturing issues and 3 month turn around in servicing- hell, any decent company would. Half a grand for 10 minute issue is extortionate, particularly after the purchase price. I wonder how many of us would pay 10% of a cars value to get it serviced ?

Mark

Hi read the thread,

Some posts are quoting Panerai as fashionable accessories again :roll: a bit to quick on the old bandwagon, as to how you get my post to lead a shameful example of the OP sharing there experiences is beyond me, they should name and shame it is unacceptable, so don't include your own twist on my post to suit yours, it's jolly bad form.
    Your post doesn't make sense, sorry, I don't get your point. Of course I read the thread, hence my comment on it.

I think you are trying to say one, or maybe more, posters refer to Panerai as a fashion brand and that this is your example of bandwagon jumping and Panerai bashing. Personally I think that's just an opinion and hardly bashing.

I have no idea what you think is "shameful" or "beyond you", and if you interpret my straightforward post to be somekind of "twist", well, you've completely lost me :roll:
    Gray

Blog Entries

No brand bashing at all.
    My Ebel's service, costing me about 500,- GBP, was done (I have to believe) and the watch returned in a paper bag, no papers or anything that said it was serviced or what was done. And the minute counter of the chrono was put slightly off 12 o"clock, only 1mm or so but still annoying.
    The dealer fixed this himself, and after some debate on the telephone got me a paper wich proved it was serviced, on which date, and what was done.

Some of the bigger boys are a bit arrogant I'd say, and that's not only Panerai.

Daddel.