closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex 1665 'great white' - a bit of lume fell off!

Craftsman

Rolex 1665 'great white' - a bit of lume fell off!

I notice a bit of lume has fallen off the minute hand on my otherwise very nice 1665 SD... it must have been yesterday morning at some point and probably when I was cycling wearing it.

The detached piece is about 2mm long and now sits on the dial. Needless to say I've put the watch in the safe for now.

Is it possible to have this lume re-stuck somehow? The colour of the hands matched the dial markers perfectly, so I'm reluctant to try and source a new (old) hand.

Unfortunately this has made me a bit wary about wearing it now - I've used it as my daily watch for a good while (on and off), but I'm fairly active with cycling/running etc so it could well happen again. With that in mind, I might end up letting it go and buy something more modern (I have a vintage speedmaster for my vintage fix). How much would the damaged lume affect the value (its otherwise a very nice original, not heavily polished, 1980 SD, with several service papers)?

Master
    Blog Entries
    It might be possible to reattach, but I'd also ensure whoever you send it to has a good reputation for re-luming/matching lume just in case. Whichever way as you say I'd avoid a new hand.

Craftsman
    Thanks - I think it could be. I've read about repairers in the US doing this, but does anybody know a good repairer in the UK who might?

You. Ought want to try Steven hale in London. I dealt with him years back and he knows his way around vintage rolex ...is it SHWC?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Here you go....

http://www.shwr.co.uk
    Amazing - thank you! He's only a few minutes from my work, so I'll pop in!

Quote Originally Posted by maxf View Post
    Amazing - thank you! He's only a few minutes from my work, so I'll pop in!
    Be interested to hear how you get on with Steve ..as may have similar issue.

If you could manage before and after pics that would be very interesting.

Grand Master
    I wouldn’t run and cycle in anything valuable, at some point you will make involuntary contact with the ground, apart from being somewhat uncomfortable it’s very bad news for watches. Unlike grazed knees, heads and elbows damaged watches don’t heal up.

The lost lume is unfortunate, but in some respects it demonstrates the folly of these watches; far too much value tied up in aged fragile lume..........Rolex replaced hands and dials for very good reasons in the past.

I take a pragmatic view, if the lume’s dropping out of the hands it gets cleaned out and replaced, but I don’t touch vintage Rolex sports models.

Hopefully someone out there will be able to relume the damaged part to match. I think there are ways to stabilise aged brittle lume too, which may safeguard against further problems.

Paul

Master
    I don't think it can be reattached. It can be stabilized and filled. There are plenty capable in the UK. Jedly would be s good starting spot.

Bump from the depths. I’m interested in the outcome of this if you’d care to share, OP?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Bump from the depths. I’m interested in the outcome of this if you’d care to share, OP?
    Well... it took a year almost but I'm very happy with the end result. I cant tell any difference between the repaired lume and the original lume and to my eye it matches exactly. Very please with the result, although the wait was somewhat longer than I anticipated!

Well... it took a year almost but I'm very happy with the end result. I cant tell any difference between the repaired lume and the original lume and to my eye it matches exactly. Very please with the result, although the wait was somewhat longer than I anticipated!
    Many thanks for this. Can you confirm who you used in the end, and what it is they did? (And even ball-park cost if you can).

Thanks again.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Many thanks for this. Can you confirm who you used in the end, and what it is they did? (And even ball-park cost if you can).

Thanks again.
    Steven Hale on South Moulton Street in London did it - it wasnt expensive, maybe £200. They matched the lume and repainted the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    I agree

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Onelasttime View Post
    Just the normal trolling from a mega troller.

No one who contributes to this forum should be pressurised to send in a pic just to keep you happy. The man gave his opinion and that is enough. There is no need to do what you have just done. Nasty bit of work to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Just the normal trolling from a mega troller.

No one who contributes to this forum should be pressurised to send in a pic just to keep you happy. The man gave his opinion and that is enough. There is no need to do what you have just done. Nasty bit of work to be honest.
    Mick, playing devils advocate, this is a watch forum and if someone describes a problem it is often easier to illustrate with an image of the problem and that would surely lead to more useful contributions from other members. Also, it is often nice to see a before and after when something has been sorted and contacts etc of those who did the work are often useful if others suffer a similar problem.

Just saying...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Mick, playing devils advocate, this is a watch forum and if someone describes a problem it is often easier to illustrate with an image of the problem and that would surely lead to more useful contributions from other members. Also, it is often nice to see a before and after when something has been sorted and contacts etc of those who did the work are often useful if others suffer a similar problem.

Just saying...
    Ken

What you say is true but if the practice of bullying people into sending in pics becomes the norm, some people just will not bother and the forum will become poorer.

The OP should have the right to send a pic or not without some nasty bit of work sending in sarky pics. Is it any wonder people are leaving this forum when thuggery abounds.

Rolex 1665 'great white' - a bit of lume fell off!

I bumped the thread because I was interested in the outcome and keen to gain a lead for some useful capability. The OP has helpfully obliged (thank you again).

I doubt the OP would have seen the teasing meme as pressuring, bullying or thuggery. But of course he can speak for himself, if indeed he can be bothered to engage in this nonsense.

What is more likely to drive members away is bringing the mind-numbing bickering to Watch Talk, the home of genuine discussion around our mutual hobby.

Stop it, please.

(Or take it elsewhere if you really think it’s worthwhile).

Steven Hale on South Moulton Street in London did it - it wasnt expensive, maybe £200. They matched the lume and repainted the hand.

Glad the recommendation came good.

Interesting thread. I have lost a bit a lume from my 16800 and my 16750 (actually quite a lot from the 16750) I will give Steve a ring. Thanks.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Hadn't seen this - apologies for the slow response.

Firstly, the pic was a bit rude I guess, but who really cares... I certainly don't.

Secondly, the thread was bumped after about 18 months, so I replied - unfortunately I didn't keep a set of before and after photos on the off-chance, or I'd have posted them happily.