closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega Railmaster

Omega Railmaster, most beautiful watch IMPO

From the now discontinued Omega Railmaster range.
    A 39.2mm version on bracelet. Bought new in June 2011 by yours truly.

Vital stats:
    150m water resistant with screw down crown
    Aqua Terra Seamaster case
    2403 co-axial automatic movement
    Matte black dial with Superluminova markers
    Domed Sapphire crystal glass

This is a first for me. A watch that I can't fathom what, why, or who made my mind think I wanted one.

I'm not going to do the long winded review that I usually would (although this may change at a later date). I just want to give my initial thoughts and feelings on this little machine from Omega.

Simple, good looking whilst elegant, very accurate, subtle and most of all ...extremely comfortable.

Feels cool, like it's not trying.

The beautiful matte black dial has triangular hour markers and Arabic numerals at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock – all covered in Super Luminova. The dial is completed by the Omega symbol and name, Railmaster logo and facetted Dauphine hour and minute hands with luminous inserts.*

It has a domed, scratch-resistant and anti-reflective coated (inner only) sapphire crystal. The bracelet is simple yet well made, with pin and tube links, solid endlink and sliding clasp with singular pushbutton.

Exclusive to the Railmaster, its fitted with an Omega Caliber 2403 Co-Axial Escapement movement (base 2500 calibre). It is a COSC-certified chronometer with a power reserve of 44 - 48 hours.
    Last edited by MuRph77; 14th December 2012 at 13:44.

Blog Entries

Re: Omega Railmaster

Thanks for the review!
    I just found this model a week back, and I love it. -Best looking Omega by far.
    Classic, elegant and personal. To bad it's discontinued and out of my price reach right now.

Master

like the watch, but this a fav of Jeremy Clarkson so I dunno...

Master

Stunning watch and great pictures. I love the simplicity of the dial and I'm awaiting the delivery of a 42mm version.

What I find interesting, is that people say the Railmaster series were made for rail workers in years gone by. Yet I would have thought the price of an Omega watch would have been well out of reach of the average rail worker of that era.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by aksing
    Are you sure? If really so, I have spared 1000GBP.

:D I like him

Craftsman

Oh, I want one of these, though I like the leathet strap more.

Journeyman

Thanks for the review and the picture. I'm trying my best to keep building the JLC fund, but people are always showing me beautiful watches which I have to spend that cash on ...

I like all Omega watches, but this is a stunner. As others have said already, clean, classic lines with a super build quality - what else do you need?

Thanks again

Lloydie

I love the triangle indices...and that arrow hands!
    Stunner!

One of the best

Craftsman

Simply beautiful, must have one. Great review.

Craftsman

Beautiful watch. Do you think it would make a good dress watch on a black leather strap?

Classic simplicity. Very nice indeed.

Yes, Clarkson seems to "like" :lol: his Omegas and Railmasters seem to get a lot of time on his wrist. He even wrote about it in one of his blogs or editorials.
    Regardless, this is a stunning watch. Simple and elegant. Congrats.
    Has been on my wanted list for a while now. My impression is that these are rare though. I do not see a lot being offered on the second hand market.

That's a very nice watch. Clean and clear.

I think it would also look great with a black leather strap.

Apprentice

I like this 39mm version on bracelet. Is a classic and some time modern watch and also very easy to "read" it.

It is very elegant, it would certainly make it on to the wish list, shame about the Clarkson though, met him on holiday one and didn't come across very well

Brought a 26mm Railmaster for my mum a while back and have been on the lookout for an XXL since. I know, the same model as Clarkson..

I think its the hands and hour markers that make this so popular! Like aqua terra and PO.

Anyway, why is there so much hatred against Jeremy Clarkson? Did he give bad reviews of your cars? hehe :iroc:

Thanks for the review! i need a railmaster LOL :D

In case it's of interest I thought I'd post some pics of mine. I absolutely love it - I rarely wear my other watches these days. It goes just as well with a suit as it does with jeans and a t-shirt. It keeps its time well and has a so far the power reserve has proved to be more than enough.

Thanks for the review Murph77!

Really nice watch!

Craftsman

Someone's speed posting...

Very elegant watch. Works with a suit as well as t-shirt and jeans!
    Great review, thx!

Lovely ,lovely watch thanks for the review

Omega Railmaster

When was it discontinued? Do ADs still have stock or are they long gone?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by ledgie
    When was it discontinued? Do ADs still have stock or are they long gone?
    Discontinued in 2009. I'd be surprised if you could still find a brand new one in dealer's stock but you never know. They do come up reasonably regularly on the various watch forums and, of course, ebay. Got mine through ebay, but was lucky in that the seller lived quite close to me so was able to arrange a viewing before purchase.

Journeyman

Why is it always the best looking watches that get discontinued?

Craftsman

I popped into Omega on Regent Street last weekend to have the missus' Seamaster seviced. While there I asked to have a look at a Railmaster and of course they told me it was discontinued... a terrible shame.

Omega Railmaster

Well this is one reason to stop hating on Clarkson, however temporarily.

Quote Originally Posted by brighty-on-tour
    Why is it always the best looking watches that get discontinued?
    Is it just an Omega thing? This, the 2254 and the older AQ's are my faves. It's the markers isn't it?

The Railmaster is a cracking looking watch and in my opinion much better looking than the current crop of AT’s. The indices are lovely and its simplicity and clean look make it a winner for me, just a shame you can’t pick them up new.

Quote Originally Posted by danielb

It's been quoted quite a bit, but here goes again. Quite a funny read.

I suppose that in the days when your fishmonger knew your name and what sort of cod you liked on a Friday, “brand loyalty” made sense. Now we live in a world of supermarkets and corporations, it is the most ridiculous thing on all of God’s green earth. No matter how many loyalty cards you have in your wallet.

That said, I am the worst offender. Even though I know Virgin is the best airline, I always try to fly BA. Even though I know HSBC is in fairly good shape, I bank at Barclays. Even though I know the new style of Levi’s reveals my butt crack when I bend over, I would still never buy a pair of Wranglers.

And this brings me neatly onto the question of watches. For some time now I’ve been on the hunt for a new one but the choice is tricky. I couldn’t have a Breitling because I don’t own an Audi. I couldn’t have a Calvin Klein because they are pants, I couldn’t have a Gucci because I’m not a footballist’s wife, I couldn’t have a TW Steel because my wrist isn’t big enough to sport something that can be seen from space, I couldn’t have a Tissot because I’m not eight and the only thing in the world worse than a fake Rolex is a real one.

Have you noticed something odd about Rolexes? Especially the modern ones that wind automatically when you move your wrist about? A great many owners wear them on their right hand. I jump to no conclusions here but you can feel free.

Mostly, though, I cannot wear any of these watches because I am an Omega man. I have worn a Seamaster for years, not because James Bond has one and not because Neil Armstrong wore something by the same maker on the moon but because on the day I went away to school my parents gave me a Genčve Dynamic.

The trouble is that for the past few years Omega has been the Pillsbury dough of Swiss watches. The Terry and June. Omegas were dreary. They were boring to behold. They were Vectras in a world of Ferraris and Lamborghinis. The De Ville Prestige, for example, was plainly designed by someone who had a black-and-white telly.

This filled me with despair. I wanted a watch. For the same reasons that I bank at Barclays and wear Levi’s, it had to be an Omega, and it just wasn’t coming up with the goods. It was like Leeds United. Once the home of Peter Lorimer and Gary Sprake but now an also-ran bunch of unimaginative clod-hopping no-hopers.

And then one day, in Hong Kong, I saw it. A new Omega. It’s called the Railmaster and it is a thing of unparalleled beauty. There is no button that owners think will call for help if they find themselves in a crashing helicopter on Kilimanjaro, it is not waterproof to 8,000 metres, there is no stopwatch, there is no swivelling bezel to tell you how much air you have left in your tanks and you even have to wind it up every morning or it will stop. Plainly this is a watch for the sedentary soul. The man with no hang glider or mini sub in his garage. I bought it in an instant.

Craftsman

Omega Railmaster

Wearing my 41mm (or is it 42?) on leather today. Lovely watch. A keeper for me.

Grand Master

Officially I`m buying no more modern watches.......unofficially I`d have a mid-size 36.2mm Railmaster if a really nice one came up for sale :) .

Bracelet is an absolute must for me.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by helledi
    Quote Originally Posted by danielb

It's been quoted quite a bit, but here goes again. Quite a funny read.

And then one day, in Hong Kong, I saw it. A new Omega. It’s called the Railmaster and it is a thing of unparalleled beauty. There is no button that owners think will call for help if they find themselves in a crashing helicopter on Kilimanjaro, it is not waterproof to 8,000 metres, there is no stopwatch, there is no swivelling bezel to tell you how much air you have left in your tanks and you even have to wind it up every morning or it will stop. Plainly this is a watch for the sedentary soul. The man with no hang glider or mini sub in his garage. I bought it in an instant.
    I hadn't seen that before - couldn't agree more :)

Simple but beautiful looking watch

Journeyman

One of the consultants at work has one of these, took me a few views to work out what it was - and it just looks perfect in a work environment, not showy or blingy in any way but still has a lot of presence, especially on a leather strap.

One of my favorite Omega watches. Thanks for the review! :)

Craftsman

He always seems to wear a Planet Ocean now. Wish I kept mine only watch I regret selling

Journeyman

Simplicity at its best. Thank you for a very nice review.

Journeyman

A great timeless piece of art!

Apprentice

Oh no. You guys are killing me. 'Seems I can't casually browse this site for more than a week at a time without finding yet another watch to lust after. I really really love the dial on the Railmaster. I think what appeals to me the most is the steep, somewhat elongated triangle markers at 5, 10, 20, etc spots, along with a very nice balance of dial text. I can also see how this one would dress up quite well - especially on leather. I hope this gets as much wrist time for you as it demands! (Thankfully, being out of production and a bit out of my price range at the moment, I am safe...I hope...)

Looks very nice indeed. Especially on the leather - another potential for the 'the list' me thinks! :lol:

Craftsman

I can see this board is going to be seriously bad for my wallet!

Eeek!

Barney

Quote Originally Posted by Barney12
    I can see this board is going to be seriously bad for my wallet!

Eeek!

Barney
    Barney, I suppose your wallet will be thinner soon as you have just reached the 50 posts bar... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :blackeye: :blackeye:

Love the hour markers on this model, it makes the dial pop out! Personally, I prefer AT's on leather straps (looking for one for my AT), but the bracelets are fine too :)

One of my favorite omegas.Made the mistake of not buying the one i had in my hand about 4 years ago and regreted it ever since.Love it on a brown leather strap.boo hoo!

I have only one modern Omega and it's a 2255.80, bought of this very forum. However all my other Omegas are before 1973, this one, the Railmaster is the watch that blows my skirt up more than any other modern one. Anyone got one for flipping or trading?

Would swap my Bond for one of those in a flash. Perfect.