closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oysterquartz had same battery in for 17 years!!!!

Master

Oysterquartz had same battery in for 17 years!!!!

Recently purchased an Oysterquartz from a chap who's had it over 20 years as a 21st birthday present (I got a digital Seiko for mine :evil: ) and he'd had the last battery change in 1994! :shock: as he's just lost interest in the watch and pushed it to the back of the cupboard.

It was being sold as needing the battery replaced but the seller agreed to get it replaced prior to the sale to make sure all was working. Can those in the know anticipate problems with this watch or is it likely that the long rest may have just prevented wear and tear to the running gear and quartz module etc and have done the watch no harm.

I was just amazed the the battery hadn't leaked after all that time.

Suppose I should have asked the question on here before buying the watch. :lol:

This is the watch by the way , as it's arrived today so not had a chance to give it a clean up.

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

Re: Oysterquartz had same battery in for 17 years!!!!

Very nice mate ! The battery ! Wow !! :shock:

No.
    Something is wrong out there. Battery will last 2 to 3 years.
    It´s impossible to last 17 years. No way. :(
    Go to http://www.oysterquartz.net, there you have all the answers.
    Pedro

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NORVAL
    No.
    Pedro
    The OP is not saying it ran for 17 years on the same battery.

Last changed in 94 so assuming it lasted 3 years it would have been dead in the watch for 14 years or so.
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by NORVAL
    No.
    Pedro

Pedro-he didn't mean it WORKED with the same battery for 17 years, only that the same battery had been in place for that long, and are there any associated problems, etc.

I sure hope not-it's a beautiful watch!

Master

Yep that's right guys , battery dead in the watch for 14 years or so. All seems to be well at the moment but it's the first day I've had the watch :lol: . You hear about oils drying up etc but we shall see and I'll keep my fingers crossed and see what the accuracy is like over the coming weeks.

Master

A couple of months ago I gave my Tag its first battery change. I bought that one in '97. Not quite 17 years then, but happily the cell hadn't leaked and there were no issues at all - it's ticking away very happily. Providing the old cell in your Oysterquartz is intact I'd be surprised if the inactivity has done any harm. Come to think of it a while ago I put a new battery in a Swatch that hadn't had one for about ten years, and that was fine as well.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

If the battery didn't leak, then there should be no problems, other than the 17 year old oil and grease.

I'm not sure the oils matter much in any quartz let alone a jewelled one. A mechanical watch has a level of torque applied to all the pivots all the time it is wound. A quartz just moves the gear train once a second and the rest of the time there is no load on the pivots at all. Never heard of people routinely stripping and oiling a quartz movement. I have a 23 year old Seiko 7a38 (15 jewels), never serviced, still runs fine and the battery lasts as long as it ever did.

The oils can thicken and in a low powered watch like the kinetic Seikos part of service is apparently testing the current draw as a high draw indicates the oils have thickened and then it should be stripped/oiled.

Question: how many people here have had their quartz movements fully stripped and oiled?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix
    I'm not sure the oils matter much in any quartz let alone a jewelled one. A mechanical watch has a level of torque applied to all the pivots all the time it is wound. A quartz just moves the gear train once a second and the rest of the time there is no load on the pivots at all. Never heard of people routinely stripping and oiling a quartz movement. I have a 23 year old Seiko 7a38 (15 jewels), never serviced, still runs fine and the battery lasts as long as it ever did.

The oils can thicken and in a low powered watch like the kinetic Seikos part of service is apparently testing the current draw as a high draw indicates the oils have thickened and then it should be stripped/oiled.

Question: how many people here have had their quartz movements fully stripped and oiled?
    Good observation.
    Yes, it matters léss. Quite a bit less.
    The Oysterquartz p.e. shares the same gearbox with it´s mechanical oscilator brethren and the gears are stressed VERY much less and the mechanicals are not infamous for being fickle if not maintained according to the letter in the booklet.

Lastly the accuracy of a quartz is not affected by a variation in the friction in the gear train.

The 9F Seiko calibers have a 50 year service interval and do not have an all thát much different construction at all.

There is a case to be made that good quality quartz movements like this one are ok without any lubrication.
    The main issue in this case is that 20 years ago the lubricants were good but not as good as today and wíll be oxidised.
    Have it serviced and very, VERY sparingly lubed with modern lubricants and it will be good for 50 years.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    There is a case to be made that good quality quartz movements like this one are ok without any lubrication.
    I am curious how Rolex bashing is read in this :mrgreen:

It´s not Rólex that is not wanting to market the movements John asks for. Rolex díd develop the LED caliber, Rolex dóid develop the successor of the OQ, Rolex still has one of thé best engineered/made quartz movements.
    It´s the customer base not wanting to upset their own appreciation. The problem not lying with the mechanical oscilator movements but the appreciation of the myth itself :idea:
    One cannot blame Rolex for sticking with the technology that lies the golden eggs. They manage this to perfection!

One cannot blame Rolex for sticking with the technology that lies the golden eggs.
    No doubt about that.

Oh, do not worry; "they" will find a way to read R bashing into anything you say :mrgreen:

They manage this to perfection!
    :lol:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    Oh, do not worry; "they" will find a way to read R bashing into anything you say :mrgreen:
    No doubt and can´t be helped.

I am currently reading a translation into english (read the one into spanish several times) of the Secret History of the Mongols. Very interesting. I think you will like it. Here it is on line: http://altaica.ru/SECRET/cleaves_shI.pdf
    The original was written almost 700 years BeforeRolex :wink:
    There is also a version for the reading impaired: http://www.mongolian-art.de/01_mongolia ... /index.htm

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    You're both mad, or :drunken: Where in this thread has anyone mentioned Rolex bashing, other than 'Cilla of course. You really are :albino: :bigsmurf: at times, why not stick to appreciation of a fine watch, and a fortunately un-corroded battery?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    You're both mad, or :drunken: Where in this thread has anyone mentioned Rolex bashing, other than 'Cilla of course. You really are :albino: :bigsmurf: at times, why not stick to appreciation of a fine watch, and a fortunately un-corroded battery?
    The Oysterquartz is a fine watch indeed and cheers to all who responded with advice and without this fine forum I would have never discovered the model. It's just had a fresh battery so won't worry too much and have a service next time around I think.

Here's a few more pics for OQ fans.

Master
    Blog Entries

^^^ lovely watch, I have considered getting one a few times but yet to be convinced that the stock bracelet will fit an 8" wrist.

Damn integrated bracelet - form before function :evil: :cry:

Banned
    Blog Entries

Strange conclusion based on not being convinced about whát?

The Oysterquartz bracelet was by far the best Rolex made at the time. Sturdy, functional and properly matching the head.
    So your wrist is a bit largish. Is that a brácelet problem :? :?:

There are extra links, even complete spare bracelets about. For some reason especially in Italy and France :idea:

It's not been 'read in this' at all; paranoia often skews clear thinking. :wink:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    It's not been 'read in this' at all; paranoia often skews clear thinking. :wink:

R
    Yes, that was what I meant indeed.
    I am glad you picked it up.

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy

R

WRONG !

How dare Rolex put batteries in that dont last 17 years ! ?? poor form IMO ...... :D

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chartman69
    How dare Rolex put batteries in that dont last 17 years ! ?? poor form IMO ...... :D
    But it díd :idea:
    Not só strange to mention this as it may seem since there was a bit of a negative reputation about Renata batteries leaking in the Oysterquartz. This is a nice counter experience, wether Renata or not.

There is btw an hilárious thread about Rolex batteries on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by marcus fenix
    I'm not sure the oils matter much in any quartz let alone a jewelled one. A mechanical watch has a level of torque applied to all the pivots all the time it is wound. A quartz just moves the gear train once a second and the rest of the time there is no load on the pivots at all. Never heard of people routinely stripping and oiling a quartz movement.
    1. The Oysterquartz is an unusual beast in this respect - the special gear + anchor-like piece which transform the lateral oscillation generated from the coils into circular rotation involves the same amount of friction as the anchor escapement (well, somehow less since it is happening 6-8 times less often, but the amount of torque could be actually bigger at that specific point) and is the most sensitive part.

2. I am fully-servicing my quartz movements - right now I am expecting the return of a 30+ years old King Quartz twin-quartz which not only is almost from the same period as the first generation Oysterquartz but is also kicking Rolex ass in terms of accuracy and thermo-compensation :P The watch was perfectly working but once in 30 years I considered that a full cleaning and new oils would be a good idea - but to be honest I benefit from very low service rates from a very talented and passionate watchmaker.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Catalin

1. The Oysterquartz is an unusual beast in this respect - the special gear + anchor-like piece which transform the lateral oscillation generated from the coils into circular rotation involves the same amount of friction as the anchor escapement (well, somehow less since it is happening 6-8 times less often, but the amount of torque could be actually bigger at that specific point) and is the most sensitive part.
    Thanks for this expert explanation :!:
    I will have to think a bit about this ´lateral oscilation´.
    So, off searching for an exploded view of good foto of this bit.

2. The watch was perfectly working but once in 30 years I considered that a full cleaning and new oils would be a good idea -
    ...ánd taking into account 3 decennia back state of the lube technology :idea:

Blog Entries

Made to last is an understatement :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master
    Blog Entries

Strange conclusion based on not being convinced about whát?

So your wrist is a bit largish. Is that a brácelet problem :? :?:
    Well, clearly it is a problem for me :albino:

Conclusion is based on trying 2 on [the all SS, and SS/yellow gold] and asking a couple of sellers for their opinion of whether it would fit me - so maybe the conclusion is strange to you, but is based on fact.

However, concluding that you are a lover of the pedantic - I admit I am wrong! This is NOT a bracelet problem, it is a BRACELET ATTACHMENT problem, is that better? :D :D

If you are saying there are longer bracelets avaialble then I will look into that, thank you.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    I suppose you mean the King (twin) Quartz Catalin mentions? or do you mean the battery for not leaking?

Banned
    Blog Entries

If you are saying there are longer bracelets avaialble then I will look into that, thank you.
    There are indeed extra links availeble. Both original and aftermarket.

Simply on ebay.
    Aftermarket on .com.
    Originals mostly on .fr and .it

Also I would be surprised if Rolex doesn´t supply spare links. It´s only júst 10 years since the model disappeared from the model line up as the last year the Ref 17000 appeared in the Rolex catalog was 2001.

Master
    Blog Entries

Simply on ebay.
    Aftermarket on .com.

Also I would be surprised if Rolex doesn´t supply spare links. It´s only júst 10 years since the model disappeared from the model line up as the last year the Ref 17000 appeared in the Rolex catalog was 2001.
    Thank you, I will follow those up.

Semi on-topic - obviously an integrated bracelet can look nice, but is it ever more functional than the more common system? Specifically the 'integrality' of it.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Semi on-topic - obviously an integrated bracelet can look nice, but is it ever more functional than the more common system? Specifically the 'integrality' of it.
    Imo YES.

Ceterus paribus an integrated bracelet is better fitting to the head as the head ís the end link.
    It is less complicated to design/make more ergonomic.
    The connection between head and bracelet can be designed to be stronger.

Potentially better fitting, more ergonomic and stronger functional enough?

The Pulsar P3 is a good example of an integrated bracelet design that is difficult - and ceterus paribus impossible to equal functionally with generic lugs/end link.

Rolex DO sell extra/spare links for that bracelet, they are between £25 and £35 depending on the width you need.

I know this as I have just come off the phone to my local AD asking the same thing.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by billtr96sn
    Rolex DO sell extra/spare links for that bracelet, they are between £25 and £35 depending on the width you need.

I know this as I have just come off the phone to my local AD asking the same thing.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Banned
    Blog Entries

...and euh....

so ergonomically shaped is the ´central end link´ :wink: that it does not even perch when on an Nato :mrgreen:

Master

^^^ lovely watch, I have considered getting one a few times but yet to be convinced that the stock bracelet will fit an 8" wrist.

Sort of agree with this, even though I like the bracelet. And I bought an IWC Ingenieur with a similar design, and the same sort of integrated bracelet. Additional links cost a fortune (or used to - unsure if they're even still available for the 3521).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    I suppose you mean the King (twin) Quartz Catalin mentions? or do you mean the battery for not leaking?
    Yes, the king (twin) quartz :)

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Thanks.

Simply on ebay.
    Aftermarket on .com.

Will soon be needing one extra link for a 17000 and can't seem to track down much on eBay, some aftermarket on .com indeed but not 17000 (or 17000b), has the source dried up or am I not searching properly ? Thanks!