closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Disgusting food you secretly crave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    As an American, this is one of the oddest posts I've seen here. The notion of a "faggot factory" conjures images of pink ponies, rainbows, and leather clad muscle men. It makes for interesting reading!
    Faggots are delicious meaty balls that I love to have in my mouth and there's nothing queer about that...

You get a better class of faggot in Waitrose, I find.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    When it comes to pork, I have a bit of a soft spot for some trashy sausage.

Funny, I always thought that. The nearest one to me is Retford, where the Rampton Mental Institution is.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Do you indeed?

Had much luck?

So clever my foot fell off.

Makes 12 faggots

50g butter
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    1 tablespoon chopped thyme leaves
    12 sage leaves, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon ground mace
    2 teaspoons black pepper
    500g minced pork belly
    100g minced bacon
    4 lamb's kidneys, rinsed, skinned,
    cored and finely but roughly chopped
    150g pork or lamb's liver, finely but roughly chopped
    1 level tablespoon flaked sea salt
    (½ tablespoon if using fine salt)
    100g coarse white breadcrumbs,
    made from stale bread
    100ml whole milk
    200g beef caul

For the gravy:
    2 large onions, finely sliced
    1 tablespoon soft dark brown sugar
    2 tablespoons malt vinegar
    1½ level tablespoons plain flour
    500ml good dark beef stock, or a can of consommé mixed with water
    flaked sea salt and black pepper

To serve:
    good mash
    cooked frozen peas
    English mustard

Melt 30g of the butter in a frying pan and in it sweat the onion with the thyme, sage and spices over a medium–low heat for about 15 minutes, or until very soft. Add the mixture to the meats and salt in a big bowl, and mix all together well, then add the breadcrumbs and milk. Get your hands in there and squish the mixture through them until it is really well combined. Take a little of the raw mixture and fry it to see how it tastes; correct the seasoning accordingly.

Tenderly open up the caul and hold it up to the light to see where any holes might be (to avoid when assembling the faggots), then spread it out on the work surface. Take an open fistful of the mixture and place it on the caul so that you can cut a sheet around it to the size of two-thirds of a piece of A5 paper. Fold the caul over the top of the meats as if you were wrapping up treasured possessions in a handkerchief. All the corners should overlap and the meats be tightly surrounded. Turn the faggot over. Repeat until all are done.

Heat some more butter in a frying pan over a medium–high heat and put the faggots in, fold-side down. Briskly fry until brown, taking care not to burn them. Turn over and gently fry on the other side. They should not open, but if they do, place a plate over the top of the batch to secure the folds. Repeat until all are good and brown. Transfer them to a board.

In the same frying pan, fry the onions in the leftover faggot fat over a medium–low heat for 30 minutes or so until richly coloured. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 160C fan/180°C/Gas 4. Add the brown sugar and malt vinegar to the frying pan and cook until the vinegar has evaporated completely. Then sprinkle in the flour and cook gently, stirring, for a further minute or so. The flour must not burn. Start adding the beef stock or canned consommé, bit by bit, stirring constantly. Taste for seasoning, remembering that the faggots are highly seasoned.

Place the faggots in a good-sized, shallow casserole and cover with the gravy, then the lid. Bake gently for 1½ hours. For the last 20 minutes, remove the lid. What else could you serve it with but some good mash and some frozen peas? Oh! And, of course, some pokey English mustard.

Enjoy!

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by JP Chestnut View Post
    As an American, this is one of the oddest posts I've seen here. The notion of a "faggot factory" conjures images of pink ponies, rainbows, and leather clad muscle men. It makes for interesting reading!
    I'm quite sure you guys don't know your fannys from your faggots

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

I love the green pot noodles... with extra soy sauce. I am shamed :(

Haggis with sausages and fried eggs yesterday

"Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. The third time it's enemy action."

'Populism, the last refuge of a Tory scoundrel'.

Cadburys CDM

Have you tried that new Cadbury's chocolate bar with jelly beans and popping candy in it?

(It shouldn't work, but it really does!)

I was looking at that the other day but resisted. Next time I won't!

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring View Post
    I was looking at that the other day but resisted. Next time I won't!

Fortunately I have patented a new technology that allows me to remove all the calories from any kind of junk food and turn them into butterflies and moonbeams.

If you drop me a pm I'll send you the details for a small consideration - maybe a few million or so. Or a large bar of jelly bean chocolate.

Blog Entries

Gnam

It would have to be "Cotiche con bietola, broccoli e cicoria" i.e. "Chicory, chard and broccoli pig skins". A phenomenal meal for when outside is freezing, truly cholesterol-packed and a strong inducer of red wine assumption.

You can still find it in a few low-level eateries in Italy, totally banned from modern cuisine because unhealthy, too basic and very long to cook. I love it and every so often manage to eat it in Tuscany.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingBanana View Post
    Have you tried that new Cadbury's chocolate bar with jelly beans and popping candy in it?

(It shouldn't work, but it really does!)
    I gave some to my 5 yo nephew after trying some myself... wish I had thought to film his reaction ;)

I quite like a pot noodle Bombay bad boy every now and then.

I don't think the concept isn't disgusting but the fact they come out of the packet a bright red is slightly off putting (not enough to stop me craving and consuming them...)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Black pudding and Marmite

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdobson45 View Post
    Ah yes, Canada's national dish.......

Had one on Thursday, so very good
    There's been an explosion of street food joints in Glasgow, think burgers, pulled pork, BBQ goodies etc etc, if you are a fan of Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Network you get the idea. Some bad, some good. Was fortunate enough to try some poutine a few weeks back at the awesome Smoak food as an accompaniment to a Dirty Harry hotdog (involves brioche bun, pulled pork, lovely crispy bacon bit topping) and it was very very good. Chips and gravy plus extra squeaky cheese curds, which really work. Great unhealthy comfort food, and not deep fried lest anyone tries some Glaswegian stereotyping...;)

Wee photo of Poutine a la Smoak...

Last edited by MattMM; 27th March 2014 at 15:55.

A friend of mine pours a large tin of baked beans into an oven dish, covers them with a generous layer of nacho chips and then smothers the lot in grated cheese before putting into the oven for 10 - 15 minutes. He says it's wonderful but I haven't got the courage to try it yet.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne View Post
    A friend of mine pours a large tin of baked beans into an oven dish, covers them with a generous layer of nacho chips and then smothers the lot in grated cheese before putting into the oven for 10 - 15 minutes. He says it's wonderful but I haven't got the courage to try it yet.

Eddie
    Vegetarian nachos?

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    I love the green pot noodles... with extra soy sauce. I am shamed :(
    So you should be. Extra soy sauce........pah! A good dollop of Pataks Vindaloo paste is perfect in the green pot.....
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    So you should be. Extra soy sauce........pah! A good dollop of Pataks Vindaloo paste is perfect in the green pot.....
    I think I have both - thanks for the gourmet suggestion ;)

Master
    Oh thanks a bunch - just stuffed my face with doner & chips... Disgusting & delicious.

Master
    This isn't disgusting, but it is unusual. I may have said this before, but as far as I'm concerned, Rose's lime marmalade on morning coffee biscuits is delicious.

Peanut M&M's , disgusting , especially the big bags

For me it's bangers 'n mash, with beans.

I read an item some time ago about the last meals ordered by death row prisoners, and it made me think...
    I am very much a fine food lover, but in that position I am quite sure I'd go back to basics and ask for bangers mash and beans.

Yummy.
    Last edited by Jim W; 30th March 2014 at 13:31.

Master
    Glad this thread is still going, was just thinking about it the other day but can't now remember what disgusting food I was craving/eating at the time.

I had an ox cheek pie on Wednesday & I really fancy another one!
    ______

​Jim.

I don't get the opportunity to get a proper Teesside parmo as I'm too busy but my Mrs was over that way today and she kindly picked one up for me. The size of a steering wheel and with proper chippy chips! Unreal and a great hangover tea! I foresee the parmo plug tomorrow and I'll have to corkscrew a turd out.

Sausage meat, baked beans and chopped tomatoes (on toast) with HP Sauce.

Staple mid morning food from the fire station days.

Mmmmmm.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

For me it's a Pukka Steak & Kidney Pie with chips which have been fried in good old fashioned dripping and a pot of mushy peas. Completely wrong, but sooooooo good.

Or Pasty and Baked Beans.....beware though, this is like rocket fuel when it comes to farting.

Quote Originally Posted by AM94 View Post
    I don't think the concept isn't disgusting but the fact they come out of the packet a bright red is slightly off putting (not enough to stop me craving and consuming them...)

I love these and the Jalapeño ones 🙈

What is that?

Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    I don't get the opportunity to get a proper Teesside parmo as I'm too busy but my Mrs was over that way today and she kindly picked one up for me. The size of a steering wheel and with proper chippy chips! Unreal and a great hangover tea! I foresee the parmo plug tomorrow and I'll have to corkscrew a turd out.

Oh how i miss my parmos since moving back south. Needs to be the 'hot shot' variety though, pepperoni and jalapeños

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Oh how i miss my parmos since moving back south. Needs to be the 'hot shot' variety though, pepperoni and jalapeños
    Oh yes, I do like a hot shot! I've got a busy day tomorrow though and don't want any erm interruptions;)

Branson's baked beans straight from the tin at room temp of course.

If you are feeling really hungry, some strips of mature cheddar cheese used for dipping.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Slice of fresh crusty bread cut about 1.5"(38mm to the youngers)thick, with a hole about 2" diameter in the centre (pastry cutter) dipped into a beaten egg mix with salt and pepper (a la French toast) with a small splash of truffle oil mixed in, cooked in a small frying pan until approaching golden then a nice egg carefully broken into the hole in the bread, cooked flipped and served with some baked beans. Mega and ultra-YUM!
    Last edited by KavKav; 11th December 2016 at 22:46.

Master
    Never heard of a parmo before. 2600 calories according to the Wiki page. Heart-attack-tastic!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Never heard of a parmo before. 2600 calories according to the Wiki page. Heart-attack-tastic!
    Try this...

Francesinha (meaning Little Frenchie or simply Frenchie in Portuguese) is a Portuguese sandwich originally from Porto, made with bread, wet-cured ham, linguiça, fresh sausage like chipolata, steak or roast meat and covered with melted cheese and a hot thick tomato and beer sauce served with french fries.
    But it's delicious, not disgusting.

z

Craftsman
    My treat is a whole Extra Tasty chicken from a supermarket with Tiger bread and some salt. And I'll happily eat till I'm stuffed.

living near Spain there's no shortage of seemingly icky food but actually quite scrummy:

Flamenquin - rolled up pork with cured ham, cheese (and sometimes a fried pepper) stuffing... then deep dried in breadcrumbs

Then theres Callos, a nice stew with black pudding, chorizo, pork meat and mainly tripe...

And octopus is generally available in tins but is much nicer fresh of course:

But i'm quite partial to eating a whole packet of 6 mini porkpies with cheese and pickle filling....

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post

But it's delicious, not disgusting.

z
    Francesinhas are absolutely fabulous - it's a minor miracle that they come from Portugal and not somewhere oop north.

Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    Average calories needed by a average sized man is about 2200 (PER DAY).

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Average calories needed by a average sized man is about 2200 (PER DAY).

I only ate half! The other half will be put in a sandwich tonight 😂

I've never tried a deep fried Mars Bar, but a new Fish & Chip restaurant has opened up near me and it's the first time I've seen it on the menu. Definitely going to try one.

I'm going to look out for Parmo too, somewhere close must do them.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post
    I've never tried a deep fried Mars Bar, but a new Fish & Chip restaurant has opened up near me and it's the first time I've seen it on the menu. Definitely going to try one.

I'm going to look out for Parmo too, somewhere close must do them.
    Chris, I've tried them your way and they are rubbish. You must travel to Teesside for one, it's the only way!

Chris, I've tried them your way and they are rubbish. You must travel to Teesside for one, it's the only way!
    Just read that on a Reddit thread, disgruntled NE students can't find a decent one here.