closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: When's Railmaster not a Railmaster? When its a Flightmaster

Master

When's Railmaster not a Railmaster? When its a Flightmaster

Been following this little beauty for the last week, It is the first genuine example I have ever seen for sale and man is the price reflecting that:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

Produced by Omega for the Peruvian Airforce and specially branded as a Flightmaster not a Railmaster, these were made in tiny numbers on special order by Omega as the Air Force didn't like the Railmaster script! Made long before the well known cal 910/11 Flightmaster was born! The only difference between this watch and the Railmaster is the script on the dial and the engraving on the case back, oh and the fact that it still have half a day to run and is already at £12000, where as even a near perfect Railmaster would have topped out at £6000

Re: When's Railmaster not a Railmaster? When its a Flightmaster

Been following this little beauty for the last week
    Thanks for the heads up on this one Tom, a very interesting model. Clearly pilots in the PAF didn`t want to be confused by having too many dials! Keep it simple....

But at £12K+ it`s going to be one for my library collection, rather than to buy.

Jim

Master

Tell me about it Jim

I think it is likely to go higher that it is, extremely rare piece but I am not sure I could justify the price tag for some different dial script!

Quote Originally Posted by dickstar1977
    Tell me about it Jim

I think it is likely to go higher that it is, extremely rare piece but I am not sure I could justify the price tag for some different dial script!
    Wow, surely thats crazy money, is it that much of a collectable. I suppose its worth what they are willing to pay, I just dont have the appreciation they have, just looks like an old watch thats seen better days to me.

Master

Very cool, never seen or heard of one of these before.

Thanks for sharing.

Agreed.

It would be cheaper to fly to Peru and try to find another one.

Now, where would you look for a retired Peruvian pilot.....?

Could be fun looking though.

Master

Completely agree about the value, but then that said, if it were a Rolex Milsub made only in number of less than 200 it would probably have an additional 1 on the front of the price tag

It is ironic the value placed on watches for a simply difference in something like a dial print, take the red sub, why is it worth so much more than a standard sub of a similar age! I guess all I can attribute it to is hype!

I would love to own the watch but for no other reason than value! I am lucky enough to own a 1963 Railmaster and I love it, but it is crazy to me that they have the value they do!

why is it worth so much more than a standard sub of a similar age! I guess all I can attribute it to is hype!
    Or, market forces?

I`ve just been reading a post about buying a PP for about £46K. Good luck to them, it keeps the wheels of commerce turning, but I couldn`t see £46K value in that model.

I wonder whether the market for the Milsub will remain as strong in say 5-10 years time? Markets can be fickle things.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlemanjim
    why is it worth so much more than a standard sub of a similar age! I guess all I can attribute it to is hype!
    Or, market forces?

I`ve just been reading a post about buying a PP for about £46K. Good luck to them, it keeps the wheels of commerce turning, but I couldn`t see £46K value in that model.

I wonder whether the market for the Milsub will remain as strong in say 5-10 years time? Markets can be fickle things.
    I completely agree, I think market force has a huge amount to do with it, I could sit here and rattle all day about values but a milsub is worth what it is worth, a 'Paul Newman' likewise and it would appear if anyone has a Flightmaster branded Railmaster stuck in a drawer then they could be set for a reasonable windfall :D

didn't know this particular model.....very interesting indeed.

When's Railmaster not a Railmaster? When its a Flightmaster

On a different slant, the guy who wrote the sales blurb is on something special. I will have a pint of that...

Banned

£12k :shock:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

I rather thought that this one looked an awful lot like mad shill bidding no?

More to the point I thought these were made in 1963 with with a 286 rather than 1961 with a 285. I also note that the seller has sold a couple of fakes in the past according to his feedback. Or maybe I'm just overly cynical. I'm also surprised that the original radium lume doesn't seem to have done any damage to the dial, which surprises me as ionising radiation usually makes a bit of a mess or at least erodes things a bit over a fifty year period, as can be seen here:

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11859

scroll down a little

Very interesting indeed. $20K plus taxes (for us in europe anyway). That could buy you a nice 2913 PLUS a 2914...or perhaps a half decent 2915. That really is a lot for a Railmaster with a twist, but then again - the military provenance and the rarity must be worth is for some... if it checks out with Bienne's records.

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt
    I'm also surprised that the original radium lume doesn't seem to have done any damage to the dial, which surprises me as ionising radiation usually makes a bit of a mess or at least erodes things a bit over a fifty year period, as can be seen here:
    scroll down a little
    I don't know enough about these to say otherwise, but the radium lume doesn't nessarily damage the dial, does it???
    Here's the dial from one of my SM300's, a 14755 from 1961. I believe that the lume is the old original radium one...and the dial don't have the damage around the hour markers.

Cheers
    /Kim

I do not think a limited edition of 280 would have two types of hands so they must be wrong on one of the two (ebay - mwr).

Master

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt
    I rather thought that this one looked an awful lot like mad shill bidding no?

More to the point I thought these were made in 1963 with with a 286 rather than 1961 with a 285. I also note that the seller has sold a couple of fakes in the past according to his feedback. Or maybe I'm just overly cynical. I'm also surprised that the original radium lume doesn't seem to have done any damage to the dial, which surprises me as ionising radiation usually makes a bit of a mess or at least erodes things a bit over a fifty year period, as can be seen here:

scroll down a little
    I've posed this question to my contact at the Museum, will wait and see! I must be honest it is a bloody good fake if it is, particularly the dial.

I own a number of early original SM300's, all Radium dials, some have leakage around the markers, other don't!