closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Chronographs?

Master

Chronographs?

Why am I so drawn to chronographs when I hardly ever use one? The last time was to time my car parking! My better half says that it's a man thing. (we like to fiddle with toys in her opinion!) :lol:

Mike

Re: Chronographs?

Easy to sell the concept to the other half though.

Tell her you need one to make sure that you time a joint, her steak, the double baked cheese souffle starter you're knocking up - it's all about timing is good cooking!

Or tell her it;s so you can do a time and motion study on her ironing / washing up etc.

It is about knobs and buttons though.
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

i think they just look appealing to the eye with all those dials!

I don't understand them - I have one mechanical which I don't think I'd ever sell - but never use the feature.
    It's just a matter of time...

A chronograph is absolutely essential to own.
    And pretty much pointless to use.

totally agree, the only time you use it is when you want to sell it. then you pray that it would work.
    :shock:

Craftsman

Chronographs are the watch equivalent of having an ashtray on a motorbike.

But the two extra buttons make it look 'meatier'.

Having had a couple of bad Speedies, I'm rather wary of mechanical chronographs. The bezel on my divers' does me for most of my timing. For more demanding requirements, I reach for a G-Shock, with the G-9000 Mudman's two stopwatches and countdown alerts being unbeatable.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

They're vital. I haven't worked out for what just yet, but I assure you (and my bank balance and my Mrs every time I buy another one!) that they are extremely vital.
    Let us know which one your getting :twisted:

Master

They are often accomplished beauties- I find them quite useful from timing journies, esp. if I've not been to a place before and want to work out how long it will take to get back or legs thereof. Also for cooking or even making coffee in a cafetiere

Br,

AP.

PS there are so many different ones and some more robust and desirable also than others.

I use them to make sure I sunbathe for the same length of time on my front and back, allowing for cloud interruptions.

Seriously :lol:

Master

I do occasionally use mine for cooking, parking, journeys etc but it's mainly 'the look' and the satisfaction in having something so complicated in such a tiny package.

Still they outnumber non-chronos in my collection by about 4 to 1.

I used my Speedy to time my wife's contractions. I quickly realised that after 24 hours without sleep they are an absolute pig to read quickly.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Only one I've ever liked is the Speedy Pro, and that's because it's such an iconic design aesthetically. Never been drawn to any other.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw
    Having had a couple of bad Speedies, I'm rather wary of mechanical chronographs. The bezel on my divers' does me for most of my timing. For more demanding requirements, I reach for a G-Shock, with the G-9000 Mudman's two stopwatches and countdown alerts being unbeatable.
    It's purely an aesthetic thing for me. I've gone from thinking I can't live without a chrono for timing things to realising that a diver bezel is far more useful for most stuff. The features of a G-Shock are great, but I find the buttons a bit fiddly and i enjoy the tactile interaction with a nice bezel.

I use mine pretty much every day for timing my runs, plus for anything cooking related (count-up chrono, count-down bezel ;) )

You have to say that they become more practical when done from the centre spindle; easy to read, even in low-light and from a distance. It's like a giant subdial.

Master

I used to use my Speedy's chrono occasionally. However since my Poljot chrono broke when resetting (fixed now, thanks!) I'm very reluctant to use either of them. I will happily use a quartz analogue chrono though; I have a Pulsar acquired here in recent weeks and a Swatch. Indeed I really like the way the chrono second returns to zero smoothly on a reset on a quartz chronograph. A lot nicer than the sudden twang! of a mechanical one.

I must say that I find that digital chronos (Aero, G-Shock and the likes) are a lot easier to read.

Master
    Blog Entries

I really only use mine when at Le Man timing the long laps. Talking of which we go next week

I love them. I don't really need them, but I love using them. As many have mentioned, I enjoy timing various journeys, especially the ones I do frequently. I also go to a lot of classic car races and it's always fun to time the laps. I also like timing random work tasks I do just to see how long certain things take me, etc.

And they look pretty great!

It's because you're just a Boy Scout at heart and always want to be prepared :P

You never know when you might need it to time something that matters :lol:
    Gray

Most of the time I think it clutters the dial although I have 2 but that’s only because I liked the overall design of those specific watches.

I use mine pretty much every day, for a start to time how long the coffee is in the plunger thingie.
    "A man of little significance"

I use mine to time different routes to work.

Gratuitous shot of the sleeping giant:

Cheers,
    Catalin

Master

Now tell me you don't want a Chronograph. :)

8) IMO

Sorry, OP, you wanted photos?

They're horrible.

Whilst I got mine mainly because of the way it looks intially I've now found that I use mine all almost daily. Cooking, running, parking, cycling etc. I use the bezel fairly regularly too. I'd really struggle with a standard analogue watch for daily usage now.