closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions On Bell & Ross

Opinions On Bell & Ross

I recently sold a watch (to secure one for sale on SC that was sold by the time I got round to it) and now have a budget burning a hole in my proverbial pocket :)

I have ummed, ahhrred and deliberated over various makes and models, missing 2 further watches from SC in the process :roll: but in my searching I have noticed the Bell & Ross BR02. I know very little about the brand or the watch itself, but I'm finding it hard to overlook it. Can anyone here offer any useful info that may help me decide if its worth pursuing.

TIA :D

Journeyman

Re: Opinions On Bell & Ross

In my humble opinion they are over priced fashion watches.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Disco Boy
    The French military don't appear to agree! ;)

To me they are nice watches that make a statement.

I like the BR03 and a couple of others, there's no doubting they are well made watches, get to an AD and see them in the flesh then you can then either cross them of your list or start hunting.

I struggle to find the will to post positive comments on them. At best some of their watches show a little taste and some genuine horological intent but in general Disco Boy was bang on the money:

... over priced fashion watches.
    Gray

am i right in thinking they use quite basic movements relative to their price? I like the look of the BR-02's but am sure i've read on here that they put a relativel cheap movement into their watches so you're mainly paying for the case and the mark up?

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bydandie

I think Disco Boy is closer to the mark, but everyone is entitled to an opinion :wink:

Do you know why the French military went for the BR 03? Seriously, what does it offer over the redoutable and proven Breitling Aerospace [other than B&R being French, IIRC]?

Master

They have some nice offerings, not the fashion watches, but they do some very well built tools that show up once in a while at very good prices. I agree that at list price they tend to be expensive.
    Bell & Ross have moved on from being a private label and are a manufacture now that also produce their own cases and movements (not all of their offerings though).

Journeyman

Is that statement "I know little about watches, but my mates said it looks cool and it looks like the dials on the PA-28 which I once went up in on my birthday so it is a proper pilot's watch."?

Master
    Blog Entries

[quote=Disco Boy]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Disco Boy":22nz53dt

Is that statement "I know little about watches, but my mates said it looks cool and it looks like the dials on the PA-28 which I once went up in on my birthday so it is a proper pilot's watch."?[/quote:22nz53dt]

:lol:

Possibly also "I doesn't bother me that they've stuck screwheads on the case front and couldn't be bothered to align the slots"

Banned

[quote=Disco Boy]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Disco Boy":n54db331

Is that statement "I know little about watches, but my mates said it looks cool and it looks like the dials on the PA-28 which I once went up in on my birthday so it is a proper pilot's watch."?[/quote:n54db331]

No it means that the French military don't agree and I have an opinion that differs from you. Last I heard that was allowed without stating that I know nothing about watches but YMMV! :roll:

IMO the BR02-92 is sexual chocolate, a really nice sporty piece, bit like a poor man's Richard Mille :D

Not so keen on the boxy ones, BR03 or whatever.

BTW sod the price! Doxas, MKii, Omega, Rolex, etc, the whole lot of 'em are overpriced!

I like the stuff they did with Sinn.

B & R watches are good enough, I look at them to be on the same level as Bremont, and they take the same kind of hit as a 2nd user sale, so buying from SC is the way to go.

Blog Entries

I must say that anything made by the French is an excellent product. Their engineers are the smartest people in the world.

Now, about the make: As you might have gathered, Bell and Ross is French. I appreciate the diver and vintage lines and I would happily wear a Br02.
    But since their "Death from above" tribute I must say that they are taking a step into the fashion world which I profoundly dislike. That is the reason I didn't buy one.

I mean come one! What the hell is that! Look at those stupid pirate hands hehe

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    BTW sod the price! Doxas, MKii, Omega, Rolex, etc, the whole lot of 'em are overpriced!
    Ah but the ones that you like aren't though, I though that was the rules? :lol:

Eggshackly, Mish Mohneypehny :D

EDIT:

B&R are French? How did that happen? :lol:

I thought it was two Swiss designers, and they're made in CH? Who actually owns the company?

Opinions On Bell & Ross

Quote Originally Posted by hugo2703
    I mean come one! What the hell is that!
    One of the few I like ;-)
    Gray

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gray
    But that IS a fashion watch? ;)

I rather like 'em.

BUT tried an 01 and its huge... tried a 03 and it could be bigger.

I also fancy the Military...but the old version and can only find NOS at new model money. I'm too mean to buy a new one as they seem to take a big hit used...

I really like the Skull one and would buy one if i saw a cheapie!

So there

Journeyman

No it means that the French military don't agree and I have an opinion that differs from you. Last I heard that was allowed without stating that I know nothing about watches but YMMV! :roll:
    All right, no need to get upset.

Blog Entries

ZOMG! Then I'm afraid to say that you are a fashion victim! Hehe ; I'm just teasing you!

Some of the B&R early models I do like.

The square models are overrated clown watches IMO

Banned

All right, no need to get upset.
    Mate I'm not upset, just thought it was a strange comment when all I did was disagree with your opinion. I've been called far worse and we haven't started on Bremont yet! :lol:

Opinions On Bell & Ross

But that IS a fashion watch? ;)
    I like grey, I like skulls, I like it.
    I wouldn't wear the ghastly thing tho' :-)
    Gray

Opinions On Bell & Ross

ZOMG! Then I'm afraid to say that you are a fashion victim! Hehe ; I'm just teasing you!
    Thankfully Sir I have no real idea as to what fashion is :-)
    These days I just have style - of sorts ;-)
    Gray

Was briefly interested in one of their non-chrono square ones with steel case (website is too slow to find the exact model :roll: ) for a time but I'm glad I didn't go ahead. So many other decent choices out there for similar money, unless you're particularly enamoured by the square and rather obvious styling.

Blog Entries

Thankfully Sir I have no real idea as to what fashion is :-)
    These days I just have style - of sorts ;-)
    If the picture in your signature portrays you on a fine Sunday morning then I must say that you definitively have style!

BR 02 Chrono looks fantastic. Had a look at one in town today and it's a fantastic looking piece.

I am not interested in the square ones, but a few do look great on the canvas straps.

Craftsman

[quote="hugo2703"]I must say that anything made by the French is an excellent product. Their engineers are the smartest people in the world.

You are kidding right ? Have you ever had a french car ??

Never a truer word spoken...

The 01 Phantom was/is one of my desires. One day.................. Robbie

Some interesting perspectives here :) and a good read, thanks for the input to date.

Personal opinion over styling will always differ from individual to individual, but arguably such discussion would mean that the designers have created exactly what they want. Marmite effect almost :D I have no interest whatsoever in the square models, or indeed the skull watch (whats that all about?) but from afar considered the BR02 to be a fantastic looking watch 8)

Does anyone have any ownership experiences, knowledge of build quality etc? Also, I have not been able to find out what movement powers the BR02 - i'd be interested to find out if it is an in house effort, or a clone of an ETA etc.

I've got a couple of Bell and Ross's.

The one I wear the most is the BR03-92. Kept looking at them, trying to decide if I liked them, saw that one, liked the look of it so thought I'd get one so at least I could get it out of my system. Still got it a couple of years later, so must be ok!!

Can see why they're not to everyone's liking. I've had no problems with mine, it gets alot of wrist time and even though I was worried about shape and size, it fits fine and doesnt get banged about any more than my others.

Malc

The Hydro Challenger (and potentially the HydroMax ) is a future classic...

I think Bell & Ross have made a good impact on the watch scene and think the BR01 and BR03 models were refreshing when they came out, their strap design and their watches are heavily branded, but that's a good thing. The overall fit and finish - as well as the packaging is excellent and the watches wear well.

I think Chanel now own a portion of the company (OK, so it doesn't help the fashion arguement, but aren't Richemont the owners of Panerai, Cartier and a host of luxury brands?) The watches are solid and I bought a Steinhart Aviation at the same time as my BR03 and the differences were very noticeable. I think their heritage series is really gorgeous and handled a 123 heritage - it just oozed quality and restraint.

I know B&R will have to fight to take shelf space next to Rolex, Omega, Breitling etc, but you have to give it to them for trying. Their products are very refreshing and does no one think Rolex are respongind to 'fashion' with their upscaling and general beefing up of their designs?

I had a strong B&R itch and bought a Demineur which was very good to look at in the box but it was tiny on the wrist so sold it, the BR03 just showed me how far they had come from a re-badged Sinn to a company with much more to offer. Only my opinion though

Love mine...

It has a good heft and it really suits a chunky leather strap, although the OEM rubber and Velcro straps work well too.

It's no shrinking violet at 44mm, but it has virtually no extra lug length, so wears very comfortably. And it has great lume. Build quality is up there with any other brand at that price point in my experience. Screw heads not aligning is an often mentioned criticism, so if they offend you, don't buy. Not fussed myself. They're there to server a purpose (it's rated to 1000m), not a fashion statement.

IMO a great collection piece that makes a refreshing change from the likes of Rolex & Omega for when you're in the mood.

I'm quite keen on their 03 militarys as well...

As for style and taste, well I'd have a B&R over a Breitling any day of the week :P

Banned

Eggshackly, Mish Mohneypehny :D

EDIT:

B&R are French? How did that happen? :lol:

I thought it was two Swiss designers, and they're made in CH? Who actually owns the company?
    If dibetu is right, then I doubt they're made in CH anymore.

As for fashion watches, yes some of them are more Vivienne Westwood but the Divers, Square watches and vintage ranges can hardly be called fashion watches can they (skulls aside)?

Given the jewel-encrusted Rolex GMT I saw once, they're not alone in the fashion stakes anyway! ;)

Grand Master

(1) They're made in Switzerland, at Chatelain, the Swiss casemaker. Chatelain is owned by Chanel, which also owns a very big chunk of B&R

(2) Deliberately aligning the screwheads is stupid. What if this leaves the case loose or the threads borderline stripped? Aligned screwheads suggests they're not even screws, or if they are, then an utter dominance of looks and form over function

(3) Their ex-Sinn designs are hardly "fashion" watches - they were basically Sinns you could buy in the shops - with the appropriate retail mark-up of course

If none of these statements fits your view of B&R, feel free to invent your own! But of course it's up to the individual if you think a square watch with a lumed skull and/or diamonds on it is a "fashion watch". Personally I think that kind of B&R is, and that some other kinds of B&R, aren't. I know, amazing !
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Master

Some I really don't like (can say that about most manufacturers, of course) but credit where it's due, the BR02 looks really rather good - very clear, very functional and despite that a very individual design - not easy to combine the latter with the former (Sinn being another who can). Not clear from my Googling what the answer is in relation to their movements - does anyone know what they use?

Master

Not a fashion brand, IMO. Proper manufacturer now, but certainly not haute horologie.

Like others, I'm not a fan of the BR01/BR03, but I love the BR02.

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by andrew
    (1) They're made in Switzerland, at Chatelain, the Swiss casemaker. Chatelain is owned by Chanel, which also owns a very big chunk of B&R

(2) Deliberately aligning the screwheads is stupid. What if this leaves the case loose or the threads borderline stripped? Aligned screwheads suggests they're not even screws, or if they are, then an utter dominance of looks and form over function

(3) Their ex-Sinn designs are hardly "fashion" watches - they were basically Sinns you could buy in the shops - with the appropriate retail mark-up of course
    Fair enough, but they have chosen to have exposed screw heads, which is absolutely a "fashion over function" choice, given how few companies chose to do this. Integral to the design? Maybe, but they do it on low WR as well as 1,000m WR, so I think not.

Do they still make the Sinn designed watches?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew

Fair enough, but they have chosen to have exposed screw heads, which is absolutely a "fashion over function" choice, given how few companies chose to do this. Integral to the design? Maybe, but they do it on low WR as well as 1,000m WR, so I think not.

Do they still make the Sinn designed watches?
    Sinn made the B&R watches, not the other way round. Not sure that the use of screws has anything to do with fashion either, form over function certainly though! ;)

Master
    Blog Entries

Sinn made the B&R watches, not the other way round. Not sure that the use of screws has anything to do with fashion either, form over function certainly though! ;)
    Ah, ok. Are they still made? I did like the B&R chrono with the integrated pushers, the Space 3? THat was a handsome watch [IMO of course :wink: ]

The Demineur and the Hydromax are the ones I like.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones
    Ah, ok. Are they still made? I did like the B&R chrono with the integrated pushers, the Space 3? THat was a handsome watch [IMO of course :wink: ]
    I though they were one of the first B&R watches but could be wrong.

Grand Master

That's true, but when Sinn stopped making the 810, B&R took it on. Same with the Space 3 and 300m diver. I think exposed screw heads are a bit fashion-y, but if you gotta have them, at least make them do something useful (like keep the case together). And with a square watch you need to put something in the corners...
    ...but what do I know; I don't even like watches!

Wow, this original post has certainly caused some polarised opinions. All I would say is; how many other watch companies would have got this level of responses in such a short time? Fow a still relatively new watch brand they have made some striking designs which do not seem to have any real direct decendents or clear influences.

Quote Originally Posted by Olives
    Wow, this original post has certainly caused some polarised opinions. All I would say is; how many other watch companies would have got this level of responses in such a short time? Fow a still relatively new watch brand they have made some striking designs which do not seem to have any real direct decendents or clear influences.
    Dya think? - just about any brand - well Rolpanmont to name but three - can cause polariused opinion. TW Stool, Brightbling, U-Boot also cause comment. The Pequiquinet (or some such) causes a stir too - just about any really.

BAR came up with one variation on a square case, which has not capatured the WIS view as much as some, and it has clear influences on the dial design (Sinn) at the very least.

... and I like some of their models - well, one or two :? Well, maybe one... well...
    Gray

Only.Good.Looking.B&R.Watch.Case.Ever.

Got to love that recessed crown.....