closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega 2254.50 v Steinhart Ocean 1 Black

Omega 2254.50 v Steinhart Ocean 1 Black

Hi,

I'd like some opinions please.

I've been after a very good 2254.50 for quite a while as my first 'quality' watch. I had thought a budget of about £1000 should do it, but it seems they are nearer to £1200, or more. This would bag me a 6 or 7 year old model that may then need expenditure on a service from Omega, or whoever. We could then be looking at an outlay of, say, £1500. There seem to be very few for sale on SC, or at the reputable secondhand dealers - it seems they are achieving a bit of a cult status. On Ebay, there is only one reputable seller I'd buy from, but being outside the EU all of his watches attract 20% import duty.

I also really do like the Steinhart Ocean 1 Black. All reviews seem to be very good, & these are about a quarter of the price of the 2254.50 for a new one. I could never wear a fake, & Steinhart do not pass off the Ocean 1 as a fake, but they are perhaps a homage, that has the build quality that enables it to stand up & be counted. Still, I don't know if I could stand the embarrassment of having to explain to the odd person to pass comment that it is a homage.

Also, there is the question of quality - labels & provenance aside, do the two bear comparison?

So, in summary, I'm not sure what to do. Your opinions would be most valued

Master

Re: Omega 2254.50 v Steinhart Ocean 1 Black

Having had both and moved them on, IMHO I would have the 2254 over the Ocean 1. Even if you did get a 6 or 7 yr old one, it would be out of warranty and there are lots of reputable independants that would be able to service/maintain it.

The 2254 is perhaps the only watch I regret moving on to fund another, and would have another gladly. Put up a WTB for one, that is how I got mine :wink:

Master

Me, I'd do the opposite! :lol:

I'd have the Steinhart. The 2254 is overpriced, for an extra £200 you can get a lightly used a Co-Axial Planet Ocean!

Having owned both, the Omega is the finer watch no question, but the Steinhart more than holds it own. Just tell people it's a small boutique watch maker and watch your kudos rise 8)

I am aware that the current 2254.50 prices are getting interestingly close to Co-Ax POs. That adds another 'what if' for me, but you start getting close to say £1700. and then you can say how about a new PO at 20-25% off list. And then.....so it goes on. Makes the Ocean 1 look cheap (as in good value, not naff!!!!)

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan
    Me, I'd do the opposite! :lol:

I'd have the Steinhart. The 2254 is overpriced, for an extra £200 you can get a lightly used a Co-Axial Planet Ocean!

Having owned both, the Omega is the finer watch no question, but the Steinhart more than holds it own. Just tell people it's a small boutique watch maker and watch your kudos rise 8)
    Agreed. If you buy the Steinhart new and decide you don't like it, there seems to be a healthy demand for them on Sales Corner so you aren't going to lose much!

Master

The Steinhart is a slightly larger and chunkier watch, which may or may not matter to you. As a more fashion concious young(er) guy, I preferred the Steinhart by quite a long way.

I still don't get why the 2254s carry what seems to be a 200 - 250 quid used premium over the Bond SMP... but such is life. Have you considered the Bond?

Steinharts are good, but not in the same league IMHO. Less of a risk - get one, try it out, move it on and you'll probably only lose a few quid.

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=172122

I think this should be your answer.......

Must admit I did think about that, but acrylic rather than sapphire glass & a 40 year old movement......

Must be the Omega.

Whenever I hear the name Steinhart it always makes me think of one of my favourite shows, 30 Rock.

:lol:
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by volvos60s60
    I am aware that the current 2254.50 prices are getting interestingly close to Co-Ax POs. That adds another 'what if' for me, but you start getting close to say £1700. and then you can say how about a new PO at 20-25% off list. And then.....so it goes on. Makes the Ocean 1 look cheap (as in good value, not naff!!!!)
    As if to prove my point, there is a PO on SC right now at £1450, makes 2254.50s look expensive

Master

Exactly. They are.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfugerbil
    I still don't get why the 2254s carry what seems to be a 200 - 250 quid used premium over the Bond SMP... but such is life. Have you considered the Bond?

Steinharts are good, but not in the same league IMHO. Less of a risk - get one, try it out, move it on and you'll probably only lose a few quid.
    To be honest they are close to the same price in most places - just not on our SC also we have seen some fairly recent 2254's and some older 2531's so we are not always comparing like with like.

The 2531's use to be a good £100 more than the 2254 and then things changed around the other way - bith great watches and either or both :) are good!

The PO - I'd rather have the 2254 - yes even at the same price!
    It's just a matter of time...