closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Calling EdRonax ......

Calling EdRonax ......

Noticed this one.

What is your general impression of the SAS - build quality etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EdRonax

Re: Calling EdRonax ......

Quite awful, looks like it's been made from left over parts from a Meccano set.

Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy
    Each to their own.

I like most of the big heavy divers that are about these day, but then thats why I bought it, I think its a very well made substantial watch, very well engineered with a good power unit, there has been great debate about the case which has been/is being used by a number of other makers. I've had it a couple of months now and I'm really happy with it. Funnily enough I will be getting ride of a number of my watches, this will not be one of them.

I am not saying that it has the same case, but it shares some lines with the Steinhart Aviation - does the SAS also have a two piece case?

Master

To each their own, as with all watches, but this watch was designed from scratch and every single part of the watch was custom produced for it. No meccano parts there. Yes Graeme is a friend of mine which makes me byist but I am a very critical person by nature :lol: I have seen his struggle to get his watch to perfection for the last five years. Unlike others he designed every small detail himself on CAD; while others went to steal his designs. (Graeme also designs watches for other brands) His Sea 01: Screwed down 4,5mm crystal, soft iron magnetic cage round the movement, screwed down too and the most precise working and best bezel I have seen on any recent small brand diver. I like mine like no other watch. A real tool that you can wear without being afraid to hurt it. I am sure you have also seen the copies being produced......which are not the same as they used his prototype designs and his product has fast improvements over his old design. I am not a fan of the bracelet but that is just because I love straps; the end pieces fit as good as on the Speedbird III and that is perfect. The screwed bars make strap change very easy with his custom tool that is supplied with the watch. Again to each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    I am not saying that it has the same case, but it shares some lines with the Steinhart Aviation - does the SAS also have a two piece case?
    I dont believe so, the other manufactures using this case were/are Crux, Carelli & Vixa. I haven't seen the others in the flesh but the sAs is top notch.
    I can only go on what I've read and that is that the sAs was the original design. The Crux was all sold out and the other 2 aren't yet available, if memory serves.

Plus I'm in NI so you could say they are my local watch maker, about 130 miles due south.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchScout
    I dont believe so, the other manufactures using this case were/are Crux, Carelli & Vixa. The Crux was all sold out and the other 2 aren't yet available, if memory serves.
    I knew I had seen this style of case design before, Pam 1950's and this one.

http://www.magrette.com/the-timepieces- ... -diver.php

Have had the Margrette, not the same.

Master

I think we will find some similarities in every watch out there.... its like a Panerai, its like a Doxa, its like a Rolex.... a Sinn.... a Dreadnought... unless we reinvent the watch in its whole entity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dibetu
    I think we will find some similarities in every watch out there.... its like a Panerai, its like a Doxa, its like a Rolex.... a Sinn.... a Dreadnought... unless we reinvent the watch in its whole entity.
    Have to agree.

I quite like the beefy design. Sandwich dial, hands, lugs, indeed the case itself looks okay to me. Just wish it did not have a date.

Calling EdRonax ......

I've followed the development with interest and really do want to own one but my poor old prejudiced brain never sees sAs it only ever sees S.A.S.... and I can't bring myself to wear something which is open to misrepresentation, misinterpretation and misunderstanding.
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by captainhowdy
    Each to their own.

I like most of the big heavy divers that are about these day, but then thats why I bought it, I think its a very well made substantial watch, very well engineered with a good power unit, there has been great debate about the case which has been/is being used by a number of other makers. I've had it a couple of months now and I'm really happy with it. Funnily enough I will be getting ride of a number of my watches, this will not be one of them.
    Reminds me of the Magrette Moanna, actually...

Blog Entries

Great pics Daniël!
    I don't know about the brand, but it looks very well built and has an interesting dial.
    It's clear to read and looks, at least on your pics, better designed and put together than a lot of other tool watches.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Quote Originally Posted by gray
    I've followed the development with interest and really do want to own one but my poor old prejudiced brain never sees sAs it only ever sees S.A.S.... and I can't bring myself to wear something which is open to misrepresentation, misinterpretation and misunderstanding.
    Yes, as with the lovely JLC SEAL, I could never wear anything like that either. I have mentioned this before in connection with both the SEAL and the SAS.

I have no connection with either organisation hence can not brandish watches that advertise said organisations.

Were I to buy either the SEAL or the SAS, I would have the name/logo ground off/removed. That is just me of course. I am sure, most would not mind.

I wear a watch made for the armed forces in various countries, but at least it does not say so on the dial (Martathon SAR), so that is hardly the same IMO.

Master

I can understand the issues with the name, from the airline to the elite troops to a cheap shoe brand.....but his name represents his watches and nothing else. One needs to see them in real live to appreciate the quality and the small details that went into these. They were supposed to be on the market nearly three years ago; long before any of the other brands spit out similar cases and designs. I don't think anyone will see new designs from SAS published before they hit the market, think it was a big lesson learnt there :wink:

The company name, Sea, Air & Sport, had to be abbreviated. The choice of name is, I suppose, unfortunate with its obvious connections, however unlike JLC, the company doesn't make this connection, they are based in Ireland and may not even be aware of the link.
    Anyway its not an issue for me and I'm an old soldier, to be honest I hardly notice the logo, its not a military watch nor does it pretend to be, its just a bloody well made good looking diver.

Quote Originally Posted by Dibetu
    They were supposed to be on the market nearly three years ago; long before any of the other brands spit out similar cases and designs. I don't think anyone will see new designs from SAS published before they hit the market, think it was a big lesson learnt there :wink:
    I have no doubt, that Graeme put a lot of work (blood, sweat and tears) into his watches/this watch. Sounds like he got a raw deal, if others ripped off his designs.

Making public the designs before having the watch on the market can both be good and bad.

There are some sharks out there, that will stop at nothing, when there is blood in the water.

I like the watch, it is nice.

The company name, Sea, Air & Sport, had to be abbreviated.
    I guess Air, Sea and Sport was pretty quickly dismissed :wink:
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by gray
    The company name, Sea, Air & Sport, had to be abbreviated.
    I guess Air, Sea and Sport was pretty quickly dismissed :wink:
    I suppose, that would have been a bumber.

the case is quite funky- a bit different and I like it, probably not enough to buy one though. I'd agree SAS is an off putting name, personally, ymmv

It looks like a very smart 'tool' watch, and I like it a lot. I'll be keeping an eye on sales corner for the next few months in case any come up!