closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A watch you don't wear anymore: keep it or sell it ?

Journeyman

A watch you don't wear anymore: keep it or sell it ?

Hi all,

Thanks again for this great forum !

My Omega Planet Ocean doesn't get as much wrist time as my new Sub 116610 LN. No need to tell you why :wink: it's just that the SubC fits me better in terms of size, weight and overall finish. I wish I knew that earlier and I would have avoided buying a watch I've worn for 8 months... :|

I just wondered if you would keep all your watches, if you would rather sell the ones you don't really wear or if you would keep them all because of a possible sentimental value ?

This PO was my very first real and quality watch I bought myself when I've move to London, but not wearing this watch doesn't make any sense. I'd rather flip it (even though I don't any purchase in mind) rather that having a dusty watch in my watch box.
    Any thoughts on that are very welcome.

Thank you for your feedback and opinions. :|

Bruce

Master

Re: A watch you don't wear anymore: keep it or sell it ?

I'd sell it. I've only recently started to practice what I preach there, but I think you value your watches more when they're part of a smaller collection.

In the scenario you paint, you should flip it and start to look for something that would provide a reasonable alternative to the Sub - aterall, you have time on your hands :wink:
    Gray

Craftsman

... if you would rather sell the ones you don't really wear or if you would keep them all because of a possible sentimental value ?
    Both really, I have 2 I never wear and one I wear perhaps once a year or so. These 3 I would never sell because of their sentimental value. Three others, all from another site or the bay, I would flip in a heart beat if I ever stopped wearing them.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover
    I'd sell it. I've only recently started to practice what I preach there, but I think you value your watches more when they're part of a smaller collection.

Hi Groover,

I think you are absolutely right. Basically, I didn't dare to go to Rolex so I have chosen a cheaper alternative.
    The PO has been a terrific watch for 8 months until I tried the SubC. :drunken:

Then the PO cannot be a rival to the SubC and what was bound to happen, happened. The SubC won the battle.
    I think I can be happy with my current watches: Rolex 16710 with lug holes for the "kind of" vintage look and feel, my SubC 116610 LN (a masterpiece) and the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch ( a true iconic chronograph).

I think it's time to say farewell to the PO... :cry:

As said by a previous poster, sell the PO and buy something a little different - a dress watch or a chronograph.

Whilst I would hang on to a watch with true sentimental value, I think this may only be the beginning of your watch journey and there are always other PO's out there. Having said that, I do still have my vintage seamaster that started it all.

Sell the PO. Replace it with something you would wear. Maybe a different type of watch.

ish

Journeyman

i would definitely sell. in fact planning on doing this to a few of my less worn ones.

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Sell.
    If you don't wear it (and it doesn't come under the 'sentimental value' rule) then flog it and buy something else.

I'd sell the watch, especially as it is easy to replace. I've come to the conclusion recently that I only need 3 or 4 watches. I had a Stowa MO (my 2nd) which I sold because I wasn't wearing it, preferring my B-1. I sold my Dreadnought for the same reason (although that is much harder to replace). I put the money from those two into a Panerai PAM 112, my first from the brand. Having had it for 4 days I can safely say it's ging to be here for a while.

Since I've been on this forum I've sold 14 watches that weren't getting any wear. I've sold 3 watches and bought the same watch (or model) again. I have 5 watches that will never be sold for sentimental reasons (Elgin pocket watch, TAG 2000 Classic, PRS-14, Rolex Extra Prima and Speedy Pro). The rest, even the new PAM, aren't safe if they don't get any wear.

I'd sell it. In fact, I try to avoid any kind of emotional investment in a watch and just look at it as something to enjoy while I have it. Less painful that way ;)

PS Doesn't always work :(

PPS In my experience, once you start thinking about flipping a watch, it's as good as gone.

Master

Hi i don't wear the datora much and it sits on the winder but i am happy for it to be there, but if push came to shove she would be out the door, erm no maybe not.

msrk

Quote Originally Posted by Hemdale
    Quote Originally Posted by monogroover

Hi Groover,

I think you are absolutely right. Basically, I didn't dare to go to Rolex so I have chosen a cheaper alternative.
    The PO has been a terrific watch for 8 months until I tried the SubC. :drunken:

Then the PO cannot be a rival to the SubC and what was bound to happen, happened. The SubC won the battle.
    I think I can be happy with my current watches: Rolex 16710 with lug holes for the "kind of" vintage look and feel, my SubC 116610 LN (a masterpiece) and the Omega Speedmaster Moonwatch ( a true iconic chronograph).

I think it's time to say farewell to the PO... :cry:
    Sell it and buy a different Rolex ;)
    It's just a matter of time...

Funny you mention it's a PO. That's the same watch I don't wear in my collection either.

Master

Strange I've recently started to think what I'd need to let go to get a PP into the collection, so at the moment I think the response is maybe :?

I'd probably sell it, unless you would use it for the situations you didn't want the Sub to do.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by gray
    In the scenario you paint, you should flip it and start to look for something that would provide a reasonable alternative to the Sub - aterall, you have time on your hands :wink:

Hi Gray,

Maybe I don't really need an alternative.
    Maybe some members are happy with 25 watches and maybe I just need 3 of them. I know that having a "new" watch will not probably help.
    Maybe 3 watches is a good balance (at least for me). I don't want to keep buying watches to find out a few months later...that I will have to sell another watch again.

Catch 22 ? :|

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by village
    Sell.
    If you don't wear it (and it doesn't come under the 'sentimental value' rule) then flog it and buy something else.

Hi Village,

This watch does indeed have a sentimental value...being the first watch I've bought when I arrived in London. But it might not be a good reason enough to keep it.
    Sentimental value, ok...but a sentimental watch I wouldn't wear is even more frustrating...sad and also useless.

For me, a true "sentimental value" watch is the one I would like to hold on to for many years.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee
    Since I've been on this forum I've sold 14 watches that weren't getting any wear.

Would you mind if I ask you why ? 14 mistakes ? 14 watches you really though you would like and finally something happened and took you away from them ?

Just a bit of curiosity to understand the process of buying / selling , for me to (try to) avoid making other mistaken purchases.

Also, I would like to apologize is my post are sometimes a bit difficult for you to understand (I'm French) and my written English is sometimes a bit poor. :cry:

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by eagletower
    Funny you mention it's a PO. That's the same watch I don't wear in my collection either.

Don't tell me you also have a 116610 Submariner ? :mrgreen:

not wearing this watch doesn't make any sense. I'd rather flip it rather that having a dusty watch in my watch box.

Think you've answered your own question there, Bruce. 8)

If you want MHO, I keep them all at the moment. Not good at selling my own stuff for sentimental reasons. BUT until now I've always been able to justify the outlay on anything I've really wanted. When the time comes that I want something but can't justify the single outlay, then sentimentality vs. desire will become an interesting battle.

FWIW, if you haven't got any need for the cash ATM is it not worth keeping for the time being? You might as well keep it until you find something else you like more, surely?

Let u know! Toby :)

Grand Master

i'd sell, but then i'm a complete watch tart and the contents of my box change completely every 12-18 months or so. maybe one way that will change but i don't think it will be soon unless the finances improve a quite a bit~!
    Since I've been on this forum I've sold 14 watches that weren't getting any wear.

Would you mind if I ask you why ? 14 mistakes ? 14 watches you really though you would like and finally something happened and took you away from them ?

Just a bit of curiosity to understand the process of buying / selling , for me to (try to) avoid making other mistaken purchases.

Also, I would like to apologize is my post are sometimes a bit difficult for you to understand (I'm French) and my written English is sometimes a bit poor. :cry:
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches
    FWIW, if you haven't got any need for the cash ATM is it not worth keeping for the time being? You might as well keep it until you find something else you like more, surely?

Hi Toby,

Very wise advice...thank you ! I'm anyway thinking of flipping this watch because I have a writing instrument purchase in mind... :bounce:
    A nice watch I like on my left wrist and a lovely fountain pen in my right hand. Maybe the right balance I was looking for ? :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by tobywatches

Hi Toby,

Very wise advice...thank you ! I'm anyway thinking of flipping this watch because I have a writing instrument purchase in mind... :bounce:
    A nice watch I like on my left wrist and a lovely fountain pen in my right hand. Maybe the right balance I was looking for ? :wink:
    Now that's a good idea. I've got a very decent watch-worth of Mont Blanc and I absolutely love writing with them... and yes, it balances things nicely (unless you write with the same hand you wear your watch, because you're screwed royally then).

If it's a watch you can buy back at every AD, i would rather sell it... If vintage or difficult to get, keep it and wear it again after a while, you should get your answer easily!

A watch you don't wear anymore: keep it or sell it ?

Hi Gray,

Maybe I don't really need an alternative.
    Maybe some members are happy with 25 watches and maybe I just need 3 of them. I know that having a "new" watch will not probably help.
    Maybe 3 watches is a good balance (at least for me). I don't want to keep buying watches to find out a few months later...that I will have to sell another watch again.

Catch 22 ? :|
    Hi Hemdale

You will need something to wear when the Sub is in for a service. If you are happy with just one watch, sell the PO and buy another Sub - you'll have a spare you want to wear for emergencies ;-)
    Gray

No need to apologise, your English is a lot better than my French is. In my case the watches I bought and sold all came from the Sales Corner here or direct from Eddie. I saw photos of them posted by other forum members and like them When one came up for sale, I bought it to see what it was like, knowing I could sell it at little or no loss later through the Sales Corner. None of the watches were mistakes. I wanted to see what they were like and buying and selling through the forum here is relatively risk free.

What I find is that I wear a new watch constantly for at least a week. I then tend to go back to my favourite watch, the Breitling B-1. If the new watch displaces that from my wrist I know I have a watch I like. My latest watch is a Panerai PAM 112. It's the most I've spent on a watch either new or used. Today is the 5th day since it arrived and it hasn't been off my wrist and I don't see it going anywhere soon. I have worn it on 3 different straps in that time which is one of the advantages of a Panerai. It can be changed into a different watch in a couple of minutes. That's one of the things I like about my B-1 too. I switch it between the blingy bracelet and the rather less blingy Ocean Racer strap. The changes takes a minute or so and completely alters the look of the watch.

I now have 12 watches. They are divided into 4 camps:

Never Sell These

Elgin Half Hunter pocket watch - my Grandad's watch
    Rolex Extra Prima - my Grandpa's watch
    TAG Heuer 2000 Classic - engagement present from my wife
    Precista PRS-14 - wedding present from my wife
    Omega Speedmaster Professional - 1st Anniversary present from my wife

Of these, I only wear the Speedy Pro regularly. None of these will go anywhere for sentimental reasons though. I have sold a couple of Birthday present watches but none were bought from new. The 3 watches from my wife were all bought new for me.

Probably won't sell these

Breitling B-1 SQ - my favourite watch
    Panerai PAM 112 - my latest arrival and my new second favourite watch

I can't see myself selling either of these but I would never say never.

May sell

Precista PRS-20 LE - a lovely watch and one I've owned from new. Not getting the wear it deserves but I find it hard to part with it.
    Sewills Ark Royal - my dress watch, bought from new, which only comes out when I wear a suit which is once every 3 months or so. This is a luxury and I may well sell this next. The main reason I've not listed it is a scratched the ring around the display back and know I'll take a hit.

Beaters

Casio G-Shock GW-M5600 - my gardening watch
    Citizen Skyhawk - my holiday watch
    Seiko 5 - my decorating watch

These aren't going anywhere because they both have jobs to do. I wouldn't hesitate to sell them though.

Hey Phil - just add piccies and that'd be a great SOTC post 8)
    Gray

TAG Heuer 2000 Classic - engagement present from my wife
    Precista PRS-14 - wedding present from my wife
    Omega Speedmaster Professional - 1st Anniversary present from my wife
    Your wife is Ace 8)

Although I haven't done too bad:

A very lovely bluegrass mandolin - engagement pressie from her
    Half of a U.S. Southern states roadrip - wedding pressie from her
    ? - haven't had first anniversary yet, but a Speedie would do lovely :lol:

Edit: To the OP - flog it. You know you were going to as soon as you mentioned it.... My first proper watch (SMP) isn't going anywhere ever - you'll have to prise it from my cold, dead hands - but you don't appear to feel the same so flog it :)

Depends on whether you think the PO would ever fit in your future wearing "needs"? I use that term loosely.

Chances of purchasing another one down the track with a watch like that usually are prohibitive in many instances and the costs really are difficult to justify.

There have been a few that I wish I have kept. But, on the flip side, if you need the cash...sell it.

Personally I'm a hoarder so I tend to keep all manner of rubbish just on the off chance I may need it in the future. Watches being a bit more expensive compared to trainers and records I've had to change my habits slightly.

I'd keep the PO on the sheer fact it would have been my first expensive watch, treat etc.

I used to have many watches and wear them for the sake of it to justify having them. If I fancied another watch I'd sell one I wasn't as keen on or one that was getting worn less than the others. Nowadays I'm happy with 3 or 4 watches to cover all the bases that all get worn regularly because I want to wear them.

If I wasn't wearing one then I'd definitely sell it.

My personal rule of thumb is to sell things if I'm not wearing them. I buy watches to wear, not just to collect.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Apprentice

If you're thinking of selling it then I think the previous posts about 'if your thinking then it's time to move on' are correct - once you get beyond a certain number of watches in your collection then it becomes hard to wear them on a regular basis even if you like them.... and if you are particularly fond of one style of watch (I have a chronograph weakness...) then you may find the opportunities to switch between them even less... in which case it's probably better to slim down and get more out of them, unless you just like looking at them - in which case perhaps the more, the merrier!

Journeyman

Hi Hemdale

You will need something to wear when the Sub is in for a service. If you are happy with just one watch, sell the PO and buy another Sub - you'll have a spare you want to wear for emergencies ;-)
    I'll still have:

- Speedy Pro
    - GMT Master II 16710

Unless I have 3 watches being serviced at the same time ? :mrgreen:

I'm only keeping watches I don't wear if they have sentimental value, such as my father's watch, etc.

Blog Entries

If I still like the watch?, yes.
    My Ebel E-type chrono is after years of sitting in the box, now gone off to Ebel HQ for a full spa treatment.
    When she's back, it's like wearing a new watch 8) .

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master

I have an old Oris pointer date (like the Big Crown models, but it doesn't have the big crown!), it looks tiny to me now (34mm case), but I wore it for years and was wearing it when I got married.
    I don't, generally, attach much sentimental value to things, but combined with the fact that it isn't worth much, I have no plans to either sell or wear it!

My rule of thumb would be - if it has sentimental value or I like it then I keep it, otherwise sell it and experience something else (not necessarily watch-based) with the money.

All my pre-WIS watches I would never sell.
    "I forget who it was that recommended men for their soul's good to do each day two things they disliked ... it is a precept that I have followed scrupulously; for every day I have got up and I have gone to bed."

Journeyman

Thank you guys for your very very very helpful input !

I feel a bit relieved even though flipping a watch is always a bit of a "disappointment". As previous posts said, it probably helps to find out the right balance between too many watches and enough watches.

Thank you again. :salute: :thumbleft:

I find it very difficult to let go of watches I don't wear much. I have a terrible habit of deciding what has to go, then wearing it for a couple of days as a 'final fling' shall we say. Then when it comes to getting ready to let go, I always seem to have found some new found reason to hold on to it for a while after that couple of days wear. I have to stop doing that. I have to start sticking rigidly to the 'something must go to justify a new purchase' rule.

Journeyman

Ok guys, time for the PO to wave goodbye. :salute: :wave:

Just wear the watches in rotation, like a premiership squad gets rotated. Would seem your SubC is almost like a daily wearer :D

Master

Without a doubt sell it, I live by the rule that if I don't wear it I sell it on, although that has turned me in to flipper the dolphin!

Journeyman

I was recently in the same situation, also regarding a PO I'd had for years. I still liked the watch, but in the end I decided to sell it. One part of it was that I wanted something smaller (I had the 45mm PO), but most of it was that I had simply gotten to a point where it didn't give me that thrill anymore when I looked down on my wrist. It was impossible to justify having that much money invested in something I thought was ok, but not awesome. If this is a hobby and not a necessity I think having the right feeling about your watches is very important. And part of that feeling is having something new every once in a while.

Master

I think this watch sickeness affects all of us in a different way. ALL my watches are ALWAYS either for sale or trade. I just hanker after something I've never had before (or something that I moved on and want again... :roll: )

Maybe the time will come when I have had my fill but until then everything is always up for grabs (see my signature below in case there is anything of interest)!!!

I'm definitely a hoarder, I haven't started to get rid of any yet but if you'r thinking about selling then sell.

I just wondered if you would keep all your watches, if you would rather sell the ones you don't really wear or if you would keep them all because of a possible sentimental value ?
    Apart from a few (regular and modded) watches, I have severely downsized and keep only those I wear, instead of having a Pelican case with three layers of unused watches.

I have sold watches, with which I thought, I would never part.

As a rule (well, my rule anyway), sell those you do not wear.

Remember, there is NO such thing as a keeper!

Flipitflipitflipitflipitflipitflipititflipitflipit flipitflipititflipitflipitflipitflipititflipitflip itflipitflipititflipitflipitflipitflipititflipitfl ipitflipitflipititflipitflipitflipititflipitflipit flipitflipititflipitflipitflipitflipititflipitflip itflipitflipititflipitflipitflipitflipititflipitfl ipitflipitflipitflipitflipitflipitflipititflipitfl ipitflipitflipititflipitflipitflipitflipititflipit flipitflipitflipititflipitflipitflipitflipititflip itflipitflipitflipit..........................

Journeyman

Thank you all ! :bounce: :bounce:

The PO is now for sale :? and hopefully a member of the TZ community will find it interesting :love3:
    I'm now sticking to my 3 keepers:

Chrono: Omega Speedy Pro (with a deployant clasp and brown leather strap to make it dressed up :wink: )
    Travels: GMT Master II "Coke"
    (Desk :mrgreen: ) Diver: SubC

The PO is now for sale

Well done

I'm now sticking to my 3 keepers
    And what did I tell you about so called "keepers?"

Hint: No.Such.Thing.

:lol: :lol:
    :lol: