closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Were these ever used in space?

Master

Were these ever used in space?

Not sure whether this post belongs here, but here's the question :)
    Were these ever used in space? After all it's called "official cosmonaut" too

I can only find information on the chronographs.... :?

I asked a similar question recently on an Omega forum concerning Fortis' chronographs. A few models were worn by cosmonauts on the Space Station - have a look a Fortis website and see if you can spot that model on any of the pictures of cosmonauts shown there.

Master
    I think this model is supposed to be used when training under simulated zero gravity environment, i.e. underwater. True or not I have no idea. Nice watch though, tool like appearance, and IMO high cool factor.

VA

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by davide
    A few models were worn by cosmonauts on the Space Station - have a look a Fortis website and see if you can spot that model on any of the pictures of cosmonauts shown there.
    Already tried that, but unfortunately the pics are tiny :-(

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VA
    Nice watch though, tool like appearance, and IMO high cool factor.
    VA
    I thought so too and bought it today :D I got an offer I couldn't refuse :D I bought it on a nice black leather strap instead of the bracelet though :-)

Master
    Congrats! I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I have a Fortis Flieger and I love it. When given a choice I usually buy the bracelet but I see why you went with the strap for this one. It is absoultely meant to live on leather.

Journeyman

Any Brits in space?

This post got me to thinking (very difficult indeed). I can think of all different people from all different countries going up in space.....in a rocket....to a space station. But I don't remember reading about any Brit that made the journey!? Have there been any? What watch were they wearing?

There is no other meaning to this post....I'm just not aware of any Brit in space.

Cheers,
    Bezel

The only thing that puts me off these is the fact they have "Official Cosmonaut" screaming at you from the dial. It's not subtle and Fortis could learn a lot from the real space watch - the Omega Speedy, which has a positively understated dial.

Master
    The only thing that puts me off these is the fact they have "Official Cosmonaut" screaming at you from the dial. It's not subtle and Fortis could learn a lot from the real space watch - the Omega Speedy, which has a positively understated dial.
    Personally I don't mind the "official Cosmonaut". BTW surely you mean the Poljot Sturmanskie with the real space watch ;-)
    After all it was the first watch in space :D

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaF
    Personally I don't mind the "official Cosmonaut". BTW surely you mean the Poljot Sturmanskie with the real space watch ;-)
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Isn't it amazing how the Omeghisti "press machine" has managed to eclipse - even among WISes - the awareness of other watches, beside the Speedy Pro, being used in space?
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Re: Any Brits in space?

Quote Originally Posted by Bezel
    This post got me to thinking (very difficult indeed). I can think of all different people from all different countries going up in space.....in a rocket....to a space station. But I don't remember reading about any Brit that made the journey!? Have there been any? What watch were they wearing?

There is no other meaning to this post....I'm just not aware of any Brit in space.

Cheers,
    Bezel
    Helen Sharman is the only British citizen to fly in space. She was went into space on 18 May 1991 for an 8 day trip aboard Mir. Michael Foale flew on Shuttle mission STS-45 in March 1992 and went to Mir aboad STS-86 in September 1997. He was born in England, holds dual nationality but flies as an American citizen.

Are you talking about Gagarins watch?

I have heard it could also have been a Rodina, no records were kept about watches worn by Cosmonauts AFAIK.

Of course Gagarins watch was worn in a human environment in the capsule, I think we can all agree that Speedmasters have been worn for far longer in the inhospitable area of "real" space i.e outside the spacecraft, than anything else which is why they were subjected to the harsh testing they were. :wink:

BTW the first watch to go into space was supposedly a Bulova Accutron in an unmanned Nasa probe. The only watch at the time that could be used without somebody to wind it.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Of course Gagarins watch was worn in a human environment in the capsule, I think we can all agree that Speedmasters have been worn for far longer in the inhospitable area of "real" space i.e outside the spacecraft, than anything else which is why they were subjected to the harsh testing they were. :wink:

BTW the first watch to go into space was supposedly a Bulova Accutron in an unmanned Nasa probe. The only watch at the time that could be used without somebody to wind it.
    Yes that us what I had understood - the Speedy was worn by Ed White outside his space suit on his EVA in 1965. Having heard this (the story goes) Omega added Professional to the Speedmaster dial.

Incidentally, Ed White wore a 105.003 like the one on the left in this pic.... :lol:

Craftsman
    Cosmonaut : (at USSR time, they keep record of evrythings)

ШТУРМАНСКИЕ (STURMANSKIE)

Juri Alekseyevich Gagarin - first man in Sapce - april 12th 1961

The Rondina Watch was gift of the The First Moscow Watch Factory kirova who take the name poljot (pilot), and offert his STURMANSKIE to the museum of the factory.

-СТРЕЛА (Strela in space in 1965) or Seconda with Movement caliber 3017 copy of the Venus 178.

Aleksei Arkhipovich Leonov - first man in space- march 18 th 1965

- ОКЕАН ( Ocean- 1976)

- ШТУРМАНСКИЕ (Sturmanskie) chrono with hack seconde

- Fortis - Official Cosmonauts Chronograph

Spacionaute - UE

- Yema spationaute I (CNES) en 1982

- Yema spationaute II(CNES)

- Sinn 142 ( fisrt automatic chrono in space - Lemania 5100 ou B&R space 1)

taikonaute - China

- Fiyta Chronograph

I just love it when these space watch threads get going :)

I found this National Geographic from 1969 on ebay - it even has the original vinyl recording of space sounds in it...

OOH - my 500th posting :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Personally I don't mind the "official Cosmonaut". BTW
    surely you mean the Poljot Sturmanskie with the real space watch ;-)
    After all it was the
    first watch in space :D

Isn't it amazing how the Omeghisti "press machine" has managed to eclipse - even among
    WISes - the awareness of other watches, beside the Speedy Pro, being used in space?
    You will find that Omega are pushing the Speedy as the first and only watch worn on the
    'moon' rather than in 'space' ...

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Right then, this is definitely time to get out my dedicated pic from Tom Stafford, probably the most active astronaut, with an artistically hung Speedmaster on the corner. :lol:

Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    Personally I don't mind the "official Cosmonaut". BTW
    surely you mean the Poljot Sturmanskie with the real space watch ;-)
    After all it was the
    first watch in space :D

Isn't it amazing how the Omeghisti "press machine" has managed to eclipse - even among
    WISes - the awareness of other watches, beside the Speedy Pro, being used in space?
    You will find that Omega are pushing the Speedy as the first and only watch worn on the
    'moon' rather than in 'space' ...

john
    That's why I emphasized the Omeghisti rather than Omega. :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Right then, this is definitely time to get out my dedicated pic from Tom Stafford, probably the most active astronaut, with an artistically hung Speedmaster on the corner. :lol:

That is excellent - :D :D I'm green with envy

Master
    @Davide
    Good list! AFAIK the Fortis Cosmonaut was standard issue untill the B42 was issued.

Craftsman
    the others watch in space :

Rolex GMT Master 1675 of Jack Swigert

(source: Chuck Maddox)

David Scott backup watch in Moon

Scott, from a 1996 letter - "I do not recall ever having looked at my watch after egress. In the cabin after EVA-2, I noticed that the crystal of my Omega had popped off sometime during the EVA. Therefore, on EVA-3, I used my backup Waltham watch (which was) of a similar type. It worked just fine during the even higher temperatures of EVA-3.]".

(source: Chuck Maddox)

Apprentice

A Breitling was worn in 1962 by the 2nd American in space...

In 1962 Scott Carpenter, wore a 24-hour Breitling when he became the second NASA astronaut to orbit the earth. I have extracted the following info from a post I made on WatchUseek about the history of the Breitling Cosmonaute.

In 1959 Carpenter is selected as one of seven astronauts for the NASA Mercury program. He was a US Navy test pilot who had flown in combat in the Korean war and who had worn a Breitling Navitimer (12-hour version) during the 1950's. After selection Carpenter contacts Breitling and suggests they make a 24-hour version of the Navitimer pilot's watch.

In 1961 the 24-hr Navitimer is introduced. It has the usual Navitimer reference number 806 and like the 12-hour version has the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) wings logo on the dial.

Apart from the 24-hour gearing, the movement is the same Venus caliber 178 as in the 12-hour Navitimer. The Venus star logo and '178' can be seen under the balance wheel. (And by the way, is that not one of the most beautiful watch movements you have EVER seen?)

In June 1961 the name "Cosmonaute" is registered by Breitling with the Swiss Office of Intellectual Property and it is believed that manufacture of the Cosmonaute, model reference 809, began this year.

Scott Carpenter eventually received his own 24-hour Breitling on the 21st May, 1962 just three days before his historic flight.

Carpenter before boarding the Aurora capsule on May 24, 1962. His Breitling can be seen worn over his left glove

Carpenter climbs into the Mercury capsule

In the capsule the Breitling is turned to the inside of Carpenter's left wrist

The first Breitling to go into space

May 24 1962 at 0745 hrs EST - Lift-off for Lt Cmdr Carpenter

Lt Cmdr Carpenter orbited the earth over three times at a maximum distance from Earth of 164 miles. After a flight lasting just under 5 hours, splash-down was in the Atlantic approximately 1000 miles south-east of Cape Canaveral. Unfortunately during recovery Carpenter's left arm was submerged damaging his non-waterproof watch which after examination by NASA experts was sent off to the Breitling company. The historic watch was never returned and sadly its present whereabouts are unknown.

Breitling use Scott Carpenter?s Mercury 7 achievement in their publicity.
    This advertisement appeared in Life and Newsweek magazines although the watch was revised shortly afterwards.

This 1963 Cosmonaute has the same dial as in the advertisement although it has no luminous on the hour numerals and has the newer style hands which may have been fitted at a later date.

Very soon the watch is revised and now has silvered sub-dials and slimmer hands.

A German advertisement ca 1963 shows the new registers and hands but with the old 'beaded' bezel.
    The lizard strap was fitted to most Cosmonautes and Navitimers in the 1950s and 60s.

For those who are unfamiliar with Breitlings, the Cosmonaute is still made although now it is an automatic and a COSC-certified chronometer, not exactly a tool watch.

Cheers,

Grand Master
    Very interesting, Alan! :D

Two things to note:

(1) Even Breitling take months (or years) to switch a 12h hour wheel for a 24h wheel and print a dial ... so don't rush the CAF. :wink:

(2) The fate of the original Carpenter Navitimer puts paid to the notion that aviation watches need not be waterproof. :P
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Very interesting illustrated article Alan. :)

Talking of M.Scott carpenter. :wink:

Here is my signed photo of Scott suiting up before the launch .

And a first day cover of the time.

Cheers,
    Neil.

Apprentice
    Here is my signed photo of Scott suiting up before the launch .

And a first day cover of the time.

Very nice items Neil - BTW, some of the information in my post is not written anywhere else. I obtained it from a guy who spent some time with Scott during the 1990's and who later relayed the info to me giving me permission to use it in my Cosmonaute history.

Cheers,

Master
    Great article, Alan. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by altro
    Very nice items Neil - BTW, some of the information in my post is not written anywhere else. I obtained it from a guy who spent some time with Scott during the 1990's and who later relayed the info to me giving me permission to use it in my Cosmonaute history.

Cheers,
    I have read a fair bit in the past about the Mercury missions and was very interested to read your unique insights.

Great to get the information first hand rather than some of the regurgitated stuff you see.

Top stuff. :D
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Great stuff - thanks Alan and Neil.

Hi,

It is strange that Breitling do not seem to have made much in the way of publicity from this!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    Hi,

It is strange that Breitling do not seem to have made much in the way of publicity from this!
    Good point.

They used to (in the old days) but the new company appears to be concentrating on 'the pilot angle'. Perhaps because the outer-planetary programme has been put on hold and all this stuff above is only history ...

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Craftsman
    Leroy Chao with GMT Master on Jubilee

Hi,

The other issue with regard to current space flight is that so many different brands of watch have been worn on the European space-station. I remember reading an article somewhare on the NASA site about this. Even a Timex Ironman (whatever that is) has been worn up there. Sort of dilutes the achievement of any claims to 'official' space watch. I believe that NASA are much less strict about what is worn inside a space-station.
    Out of interest. what is the currently approved watch to wear on space walks? I would be suprised if Omega still had the field (or should that be space?) to themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock
    Hi,

The other issue with regard to current space flight is that so many different brands of watch have been worn on the European space-station. I remember reading an article somewhare on the NASA site about this. Even a Timex Ironman (whatever that is) has been worn up there. Sort of dilutes the achievement of any claims to 'official' space watch. I believe that NASA are much less strict about what is worn inside a space-station.
    Out of interest. what is the currently approved watch to wear on space walks? I would be suprised if Omega still had the field (or should that be space?) to themselves.
    I believe the Timex is a NASA approved watch - see here for more info http://www.nasaexplores.com/show2_artic ... ?id=02-024 - it looks as though personal watches can be worn for routine activities.

As has probably been said above, I've read somewhere that only the Omega Speedmaster is approved for EVAs.

I have a Timex Ironman, hasn't been in space, but is a useful watch for timing tests at work

Grand Master
    NASA approves four watches for spaceflight (Speedy Pro, X-33, a Timex and a Casio, IIRC), and one (the Omega Speedy Pro) for extra-vehicular activities).

Many other watches have been worn inside space craft as well. :)
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")