closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Marathon Navigator - Steel vs Composite

Marathon Navigator - Steel vs Composite

I've had a Marathon Steel Navigator for a while and it's one of my favourite watches. In fact it is so nice, I wouldn't dream of using it as a beater, so I finally made the decision to get the "plastic" one.

So here they are, side by side :D

Basic similarities:
    - asymatric case, width 42 mm
    - plexi crystal
    - bezel turns both ways
    - swiss quartz, on which both hit the markers precisely
    - long maratac strap
    - packed in a cheap little cardbox box

The differences:

First thing to notice is of course the weight. The steel one feels solid, but that's expected. The I'd expected the composite to feel much lighter and therefor more "inferiour", however that is definitly not the case. Although "plastic" the watch feels very solid and although it doesn't have the same weight, on the wrist it has the same presence.

The obvious thing to notice is the back. Where the steel one has an easy opening battery hatch, the composite has a stainless steel snap on case back. I personally prefer the hatch, because it has less chance to ruine the back whilest opening the case. The SS back on the composite one has a small opening on the side to lift it, but I can imagine that in order to lift the case, the counter pressure that has to be done towards the composite material, would be leaving more far marks on the composite material.

The bezel on the Steel Navigator has a firm click, similar to well build divers, which hit the markers perfectly and without wobble. The bezel on the composite one clicks too, but although firm, still has that "plastic" feel to it.

It also seems that the bezel on the composite navigator sits a bit lower, making the plexi stick out further above the case.
    On the steel one the bezel seems to flow in line with the dome of the plexi.

Last detail on the bezel is the lume dot. The steel one uses a luminva dot. The ring on the composite one is hiding a little tritiumtube, visable through a little hole in the triangle.

The last difference worth mentioning is the crown. The steel one has a firm screwdown crown with lots of grip. The composite one has a pull out crown, which looks cheaper, but still has the same firm grip and solid feel to the hands.

Conclusion:

I'm keeping both :D

Allthough 42 mm large, the shape of the case makes them both easy wearing, even for a small (6.5-7 inch) wrist. The case always seems to stay in the middle of the wrist, without wobbling from side to side or sticking out.

Both were meant to be used as beaters. But even though the Steel Navigator would make a great everyday watch, the composite would make me feel less worried if it would get a hit :wink:

And of course.... the night view is terrific on fresh tritium :D

Craftsman

Re: Marathon Navigator - Steel vs Composite

Nice comparison, thanks. The question is will the composite watch still be round in 50 years time like some of the classic 1960's stainless steel divers or even 30 year old CWC G10 Quartz watches? I think not which could mean that we should go and buy one now while they are still affordable!!

Enjoy both.

Terry

Master

How can a "Navigator" not have a date? :scratch:

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack
    You should know the date before you take-off....

Master

Some do . . .

But one often wonders why none of the real ones have a luminous seconds hand?

Unlike the less-revered Luminox, Traser, etc, wannabe's.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    What about marine navigation. You can "take off" for months at sea...

Pic taken fron the web

The newer model does and the red secs-tip rocks!

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

That's why you have a navigational log.

Master

That's why you have a navigational log.
    The thing about marine navigation, at least when it was my profession some years ago, is that you spend quite a lot of time referring to various tables -tide and astronomical, mostly - and extracting data for use in critical calculations. Get the date wrong even by a day, and at best the numbers won't compute; at worst they will be out by several metres of tidal height, degrees of bearing or miles of distance.

As a Royal Navy Navigator I was issued with and held on charge the ship's supply of watches - including both CWC Quartz G10 and Quartz Diver models. I used the Diver for a few days, but found the lack of a date too frustrating when I was constantly looking up the data I needed. My 1981 "fat case" CWC Quartz Navigator had a date. Hence my question.

I suspect that nowadays it's probably all done on an Ipad app....

Quote Originally Posted by Marco-T
    I've had a Marathon Steel Navigator for a while and it's one of my favourite watches. In fact it is so nice, I wouldn't dream of using it as a beater, so I finally made the decision to get the "plastic" one.
    Another vote of thanks Marco for this detailed comparison and of course the photographs.

I've been considering buying a Traser/H3 for some time. The Navigator Type 6 appealed apart from the size of the bezel, which seems too large compared to the size of dial. Having seen a composite navigator recently on SC and read your comparison, the decision was made to buy one - which is now incoming from Holland. The acrylic crystal appeals, as does the bezel/case proportions. I found a sterile dialled model which came in new at Ł50 cheaper than most of the Traser/H3 models I had viewed. :D

The steel models do look excellent but that particular niche will likely be filled when the PRS-18 is reissued in the hopefully near future - I know that's a false diver/navigator comparison but the styling of the cases are similar.

Thanks again for the review.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

One thing I noticed about the composite Marathon Navigator is that the ticking second hand is quite loud. I used to keep this on my bedside & I could hear it ticking all night long, it got banished shortly thereafter.

On the other hand, I cannot hear my Traser H3 6500 ticking at all.

8)

Here is mine on a 18mm Maratac nato. The watch has 19mm lugs and the 20mm strap that came with it was too squashed through the lugs for my liking!

i had a plastic one and it had all the feel and reasurrance of something that had fallen out of a christmas cracker. i sold it on soon after
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath
    i had a plastic one and it had all the feel and reasurrance of something that had fallen out of a christmas cracker. i sold it on soon after
    :D :D
    They do look nice though.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by AndySquirrel
    Here is mine on a 18mm Maratac nato. The watch has 19mm lugs and the 20mm strap that came with it was too squashed through the lugs for my liking!

I like that Andy.

It look big to my wrist,but nice

Mine's just arrived and although the above may be a tad harsh, I know what you mean. The bezel is definitely plasticky and the hands are incredibly sloppy when syncing. The seconds hand misses every marker by a mile. Irritatingly there is a massive particle of dust under the crystal. :evil: The lugs are 19mm and so the majority of my straps will not fit.

Having said all that, I still like it aesthetically and will use it as a beater and maybe a night-stand watch.

Still looking forward to buying a quality PRS-18 though!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw

deano's pic

The PRS-18 its much bigger on the wrist.

john
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Thank you John for the comparative shot. That's quite a difference, although the PRS18 has a diver's heritage and the Marathon a navigator's. I still feel the need though.
    David

Thank you John for the comparative shot. That's quite a difference, although the PRS18 has a diver's heritage and the Marathon a navigator's. I still feel the need though.
    Mostly all of the family can be described as 'submersible and for navigation'. Navigation can be something as simple as keeping time in a survivors boat after the ship gets sunk.

john

Quick and dirty of the Navigator. At least GIMPing it (poor man's Photoshop) has allowed me to remove the speck of dust under the crystal.

David

I've opened it up to remove the dust spot which was bugging me so much. Luckily the case has a pop off steel caseback so it was easy. I was however rather shocked at the cheapness of the internals. A cheap and rigid plastic movement spacer fell out when I turned the watch upside down. This did however allow me to point the fine nozzel of my compressed air duster between the movement and the case to blast the underside of the crystal and get rid of the dust. I was also able to adjust the movement within the case to improve the alignment of the dial to the bezel. It looks a lot better now.

All I can say, having seen the inside of the watch is that Marathon will be making a very healthy profit on those watches. Compared to a G-Shock, the only other quartz watch I've fettled with, the Marathon is down market.
    David

All I can say, having seen the inside of the watch is that Marathon will be making a very healthy profit on those watches. Compared to a G-Shock, the only other quartz watch I've fettled with, the Marathon is down market.
    The healthy profit is only made on the civilian sales. The government is probably paying around 25% of what we do.

john

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

The healthy profit is only made on the civilian sales. The government is probably paying around 25% of what we do.

john
    There's a difference indeed:

Broadarrow $169
    Countycomm $175
    Westcoastime $185

But....

GSA (for military personal only) $85 :shock:

john

Broadarrow $169
    Countycomm $175
    Westcoastime $185

But....

I am sure with a government contract that price will get even lower.

john

The navigator is growing on me, especially now that the dust particle has been removed. OCD - I know but...

I am curious though about the origin and purpose of an asymmetrical case, as this is my first example.

I had a couple of thoughts, that the design may have been employed to act in part as a) an elongated crown guard and b) a means of preventing the crown digging into the back of the wearer's hand? These suppositions may be more applicable to a steel cased model, since the composite is so light as to be almost forgettable.

Any other ideas or indeed facts?
    David

john

Broadarrow $169
    Countycomm $175
    Westcoastime $185

But....

Actually, the US Government paid $82.00 a piece for the last batch of 394 watches.

Also, the GSA price does not reflect their surcharge, usually 5% to 10%. This is to cover GSA's paperwork and other warehousing costs.

And, GSA is not just for military personel. It is the Government Supply Agency, all agencies and departments within the US Govenment can purchase stuff through them.

The navigator is growing on me, especially now that the dust particle has been removed. OCD - I know but...

I am curious though about the origin and purpose of an asymmetrical case, as this is my first example.

I had a couple of thoughts, that the design may have been employed to act in part as a) an elongated crown guard and b) a means of preventing the crown digging into the back of the wearer's hand? These suppositions may be more applicable to a steel cased model, since the composite is so light as to be almost forgettable.

The case shape can be traced back through the PD-496 Steel case Navigator's to the MIL-W-50717. The asymmetric shape is simply to make a grown guard that doesn't looks like and afterthough. Similar to the Speedmaster case....

The case shape can be traced back through the PD-496 Steel case Navigator's to the MIL-W-50717. The asymmetric shape is simply to make a grown guard that doesn't looks like and afterthough. Similar to the Speedmaster case....
    Thank you very much for that information and confirmation of one of my theories. Most kind.
    David

I feel the case shape goes further than just accommodating the crown guard …

In the link below you can see my idea forming on ‘Case vs Strap, priority’ where the lugs are concerned … you will also see that I named Linde Werdelin as my favourite interphase.

Your Favorite Lugless Watch?
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=171127&p=1739541&hilit=primary #p1739541

Since my above post, Jorn Werdelin was interviewed on the Hour Time podcast and he spoke on this very issue … only he says ‘Movement’ priority where I speak of ‘Case’ (of course the Case taking its shape from the Movement).

Episode 70 - An Interview With Linde Werdelin
    http://hourtimeshow.com/post/6826032697 ... e-werdelin

“An absence of presence.”

But above all the best characteristic of “The Pentagon Case” is its ability to ‘disappear’ on the wrist. "dkpw" above attributes it to the lightness of the plastic case, but it goes deeper than that … in the MiiK Blackwater not having enough wrist presence to necessitate for the RN, and now for the overall bigger Paradive.

A Marathon Event
    http://home.earthlink.net/~exresearch/I ... 6374F.html

A New Philosophy
    http://home.earthlink.net/~brendo81/Inf ... 6374G.html

I see "The Pentagon Case" as an absolute classic in (military) industrial watch design.

john

Where's the best place to Marathon watches. A quick look on google has shed only a bit of light and none of it very useful.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainVlak
    Where's the best place to Marathon watches. A quick look on google has shed only a bit of light and none of it very useful.
    Where are you geographically?

john

Mine's just arrived and although the above may be a tad harsh, I know what you mean. The bezel is definitely plasticky and the hands are incredibly sloppy when syncing. The seconds hand misses every marker by a mile. Irritatingly there is a massive particle of dust under the crystal. :evil: The lugs are 19mm and so the majority of my straps will not fit.

Having said all that, I still like it aesthetically and will use it as a beater and maybe a night-stand watch.

Seikopath was definitely correct. Mine has been shipped out.
    David