closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Oh no broken Carrera...

Master

Oh no broken Carrera...

I was setting the time on my almost three year oldTag Heuer Carrera Tachymetre this morning and the crown end broke off. No idea why as I was only pulling it out the same as usual but it looks like it may have just snapped.
    I don't suppose any of you guys can recommend a good guy who can replace it for me please? Also, any idea of cost involved would help. Typical - two weeks prior to holiday!

Thanks

Master

Re: Oh no broken Carrera...

Steve at Ryte Time is a forum favourite :)

Master

I'd take it back to the dealer, not very impressive even if it is out of warranty.

Hello everyone, first post :)

I wouldn't be able to advise you anyone in particular, but I would surely take it to the dealer you bought it from..It is only three year old..As for the amount it might cost you, it can vary a lot depending on if your AD, is someone you get along well with or not..I'd say between 40£ and 150£...
    I have a Grand Carrera, and I always tell myself the crown looks really fragile, when setting up the time. I am going to be more carefull :?

Good luck

Master

Thanks, good advice on taking it back to the dealer. I bought it from Beaverbrooks new so maybe they will do something. I agree in that it shouldn't fail in under three years so we will see how well Beaverbrooks customer service performs....

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog
    Thanks, good advice on taking it back to the dealer. I bought it from Beaverbrooks new so maybe they will do something. I agree in that it shouldn't fail in under three years so we will see how well Beaverbrooks customer service performs....
    Zero chance you'll have it fixed for your holiday though I suspect... :(
    So clever my foot fell off.

Master

I don't mind not having it on holiday as I wouldn't take it anyway (still contemplating a G Shock for that). The holiday remark was more of a woe-is-me typical expense just before aholiday style whinge. Anyway, these things do happen I guess so with quasi-faith I will approach Beaverbrooks in the morning.

Banned

Similar thing happened to a friend of mine with his Carrera (lost the crown & stem). Usually the AD will send to TH, they normally insist on a full service. Total cost to my friend was £400+.

Send to an indie, like Ryte Time.

Stewart

Master

Quote Originally Posted by europa
    Similar thing happened to a friend of mine with his Carrera (lost the crown & stem). Usually the AD will send to TH, they normally insist on a full service. Total cost to my friend was £400+.

Stewart
    But I think at three years a decent AD will lean on Tag and get the repair work and a service done free, do they value their brand image or not?

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrBond
    Steve at Ryte Time is a forum favourite :)
    +1

He fixed one of mine at a surprisingly low price! :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy67
    Quote Originally Posted by europa

Stewart
    But I think at three years a decent AD will lean on Tag and get the repair work and a service done free, do they value their brand image or not?
    No chance i am afraid and LVMH will also insist on a full service, as has been said, send it to a decent indy, it is a relatively simple fix

Master

So do you guys think that the crown snapping off is an acceptable incident? In my mind it is not something I would have expected and considering it is not an old piece I am a bit disappointed. I have always thought of it as one of my best watches for keeping good time and looking equally stylish with a suit or casual clobber. I don't think I will go off it but you know how sometimes once you had something and it went wrong/broke/was stolen and returned etc you lose that connection? Hope it doesn't happen anyway.

Master

You can but try. Don't go in all guns blazing but be pleasant but firm, you don't feel that a watch that cost you xxxx should have suffered a failure like this after only three years. The fact that you are the original purchaser should carry some weight. You may get nowhere but you may just get lucky. The trick, you don't need me to tell you, is to get the person that serves you to like you and seem that your a decent bloke.

Master

You can try with the dealer but unless they're super nice, it's doubtful they'll be helpful. Even if you're careful, they'll probably still try and blame it on you being too rough with the crown etc.. you kno what most of the ADs are like :roll:

Also, if they insist on sending it back to TAG Heuer\LVMH, you're not only in for a long wait but also a definite high cost. As much as I love TAGs, their customer service isn't as good as the watches they make. As has been said, they'll insist on a full service and that will cost lots of money.

As has been said, try the dealer but if they want to send it away, forget it. It was worth a try but carry on to an independent.

:( Think the same happend to my friends watch

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Puntsdog
    So do you guys think that the crown snapping off is an acceptable incident? In my mind it is not something I would have expected and considering it is not an old piece I am a bit disappointed. I have always thought of it as one of my best watches for keeping good time and looking equally stylish with a suit or casual clobber. I don't think I will go off it but you know how sometimes once you had something and it went wrong/broke/was stolen and returned etc you lose that connection? Hope it doesn't happen anyway.
    I wouldnt be happy either, it is a rare fault but a large non-screw in crown like this can be vulnerable. If it was within the 2 year warranty period they would have sorted it but outside i am 100% confident that they will not (from experience). Beaverbrooks will fob you off and agree to send it back to LVMH who will then have your watch for around 8 weeks and then write to you with an invoice for a full service, IIRC £250+

I think any AD will want to send it back to TAG who always seem to want to carry out a full service. Safest bet is someone like Rytetime. TAG will also charge you for the return of your watch if you don't agree to the work being done.

Banned

The bottom line is this... No matter how accommodating the AD is, it is ultimately down to TH. They take no prisoners.

I love TH as a brand, well OK, I love vintage Heuers, but TH is controlled by LMVH, and because of that, they make a LOT of money from servicing. As much as I love TH, their servicing/customer service is biased towards making money. End of.

They WILL insist on a full service. They WILL NOT allow a watch to leave their hands unserviced. Call this a bad thing, call this a good thing, either way, you will be paying £400+, even for a minor job.

You can send it away, they may get back to you with a quote. This will most probably be at the amount I mentioned. You may decline. This will take many, many weeks. You will have wished you'd taken it to an indie for £100 and had it back on your wrist in 4 weeks.

Craftsman

Is this insisting on full service an LVMH thing? I've had watches serviced for minor faults for example at Richemont and all they fixed was the thing that was broken as agreed.

Also check the local legislation. In Finland we have this thing called the fault responsibility of the manufacurer that is carried over to the importer. It says that devices have an expected time before they break down during which the manufacturer is required to take care of repairs. The warranty is something that manufacturer may or may not give on top of that but for example if your TV breaks down after four years and it has two year warranty, they still have to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by PekkaM
    Is this insisting on full service an LVMH thing? I've had watches serviced for minor faults for example at Richemont and all they fixed was the thing that was broken as agreed.

Also check the local legislation. In Finland we have this thing called the fault responsibility of the manufacurer that is carried over to the importer. It says that devices have an expected time before they break down during which the manufacturer is required to take care of repairs. The warranty is something that manufacturer may or may not give on top of that but for example if your TV breaks down after four years and it has two year warranty, they still have to fix it.
    Yes, don't we have the Sale of Goods Act here (UK) which gives up to 6 years protection. I'm sure someone here will know about this.

I haven't had allot of luck with LVMH in the past. I would certainly search for a good independent as suggested.

Master

Impossible to say whats really happened without opening the watch... if there is evidence of shock damage in the movement then a service will be necessary... if not an independent watchmaker can easily just repair it.