closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Show me your pocket watches please!

Show me your pocket watches please!

For some reason I have become very interested in owning a pocket watch. I profess to have very little understanding in this area and would appreciate some pictures and pointers. I don't want to spend a fortune (probably sub £250), just dipping my toe for now to see if I like them enough to collect!
    Thanks in advance!

Re: Show me your pocket watches please!

I have this one that was a car boot find...

It has some issues and is missing a chain & ring but is otherwise not to bad, was thinking about letting it go because it just sits in a drawer but then I woulden't own a pocket watch :D

Well I have a couple of little collections, nothing special but I like 'em.

First off the Smiths. I like Smiths in general, both wrist and pocket watches, so it seems only natural to have a few of the latter; especially as they can be picked up for around 20 quid a pop. These were really cheap, working man's watches - perhaps like a Timex or Lorus today. They were made at the Anglo Celtic factory at Ystradgynlais in Welsh Wales. The black one was sold as a motorist's watch - it came with a magnet on the back to fix to the dashboard (of your Triumph Herald, Ford Anglia, Hillman Imp, etc.) so you had not only a stylish pocket watch but a car clock too.

I think the dial of this is particularly handsome. It came from the same factory, which was a joint venture between Smiths and Ingersoll (and Vickers Armstrong).

And then there's the GS/TPs (General Service Trade Pattern or Time Piece, depending who you believe). These were issued to British Army personnel during WW2, except the Grana which I believe is Royal Navy. I like the historic associations of these, plus they have really rather good quality 15 jewel movements. Jaeger Le Coultre and Omega also supplied this type of watch but the prices are four of five times higher than those for Doxa, Leonidas, Helvetia, Bravingtons or simply unbranded timepieces. I am not convinced that the JLC or Omega are significantly better quality; the price premium is more a reflection of the image today and the higher number of collectors of these marques.

My mum sprung a surprise box of pocket watches at me the other week for my 21'st. They are all ones owned in the past by the Belgian side of my family. There we're some really interesting ones in there, but I really only identified 2 of them as being "a bit special".
    I know very little of Pocket Watches also, but I know they are all swiss made and all pre-1930 I think.
    Sorry about the poor pictures, I can't take any more because these two are at a jewelers being restored at the moment.

This one is a "Hebdomas Patent 8 Jours World Fair" watch. It's a nice quality of silver and as the name suggests has a 8 day power reserve. Interestingly, it is the only one which has a crown which adjusts the time as well as winds the watch. All the others must be adjusted by hand.
    Inside, the movement is hidden by a large gold dome, which itself moves round as you wind the watch.
    It is heavily engraved with commemorations for the Brussels World Fair 1930 (I think it is) and the 4 previous fairs.
    This part is a really lovely detail.
    I have no idea of the value, it is the only one of the watches still working well, but as it has sentimental value, and as it appears to be the best quality, it was sent for a service anyway.

This one is a ladies pocket watch which I know very little about. This again was working well, but the hands were bent, forcing them to stop after 10 mins or so.
    The Jewelers phoned a couple of days ago simply to say that the watch repairer had commented several times on what a special watch it was, which is intriguing. I hope he can tell me a little about it when I go to pick it up.
    All I can tell you really is that the face is mother of pearl which has a very striking pink tone (not pictured well) which fades to a gold leaf pattern of vines, stars and birds around the edge.
    I was keen to get this one restored just for its beauty.
    Again, I have no idea of value, but its a lovely piece to have.

Here are a few of my American Railroad watch collection.

I've got one of those GSTP pocket watches :

Jim

Master

I know nothing about pocket watches, but spotted this on a trip to Greenwich last spring and Mrs Bond bought it for my birthday - just liked the look of it - IIRC it was approx 125 pounds

Journeyman

Pocket watches please. One of the world's best (pix)------>

Illinois 60 hour Bunn Special rairoad watch.

About the finest made in America along with the Hamilton railroad watches.

Click link, then
    click image to enlarge.

Cheers… Joel M
    http://home.comcast.net/~jayemmnj/bunn60.jpg

Some interesting stuff there and some nice pics, folks. Thanks! Definitely some food for thought.

My pair. Heirlooms really, first one is a gold hunting watch i think, second one is much smaller and probably not gold. Strangely I know next to nothing about them and should probably get them serviced and cleaned up.

"Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Lucky enough to find this in like new condition on ebay a couple of years ago. I just liked the look of it. Less than £50 IIRC. Runs fine, just needs regulating (never got round to it).

Sellers pic:

i have a few best sometimes to just look at the movement.

bowie