closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Helson vintage 50 fathoms hommage

Re: Helson vintage 50 fathoms hommage

yeah... i'm thinking it's gotta be non date, the 5513 i have is refreshing!

Quote Originally Posted by AM94
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpunq
    to be precise itīs 52,35mm from lug to lug.
    I'm wearing my Milgauss today, which using a rough measurement, is about 2mm off that.

What is your point?

I don't know what the length is on my FF but it wears large and thankfully my non-girly wrists can handle it. Perhaps if you have 5-6" wrists, this isn't for you (or if you're offended by the fact it mirrors the original so closely)

My point is that a 50A or B or even a Stingray are around 50mm from lug to lug.
    Imo these are a much nicer & more honest hommages(no copies or letīs say almost fakes)!
    52,35mm is much except if you do have Mortadella wrists. :lol:

Imo these are a much nicer & more honest hommages(no copies or letīs say almost fakes)!
    My wrists are hardly 'Hulk-like' :D but even if they were, you mention 50mm lug to lug, if we are arguing about 2mm, we're (imho) quibbling over a gnats hair.

I'll enjoy my homage, in good conscience.

Quote Originally Posted by ghosty
    the only question is.....

date or no date??
    If you need to look at the date on a diver, you've been underwater too long :D

(Seadog excluded! :wink: )
    :D :D :D :D

Great point! But you also have to admit that watches with date are more practical, since it nice to know the date that you had the most fun underwater.

My wrists are hardly 'Hulk-like' :D but even if they were, you mention 50mm lug to lug, if we are arguing about 2mm, we're (imho) quibbling over a gnats hair.

I'll enjoy my homage, in good conscience.

No problem at all,especially if you do have the wrist the Helson is the one.
    I do have 6,75" wrist & 2mm in difference means much to me,not only a hair. :wink:
    Iīd say all guys who do have 7" or smaller might have a problem with the Helson.

justmy2c
    Miro

Craftsman

I am really really tempted by this, does anyone know of any other shots? Google is not throwing up anything other than the website pictures. Does anyone have one yet?

Craftsman

Both non-date versions are now:

"Out-of-Stock We're sorry; this product (SKINC3ND) is currently unavailable."

Whats the word......Bugger!

Can I put in a WTB now if any of you change your mind on receipt of a non-date version.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Redd
    Both non-date versions are now:

"Out-of-Stock We're sorry; this product (SKINC3ND) is currently unavailable."

Whats the word......Bugger!

Can I put in a WTB now if any of you change your mind on receipt of a non-date version.
    Damn, that was quick.

Master

Caved in and ordered the orange one with date

Sometimes, being a ditherer can work to one's financial advantage. They are all sold out now. If it weren't for the very long case length I might have caved too, but as it is I still have my Ģ415 in my pocket.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by sunster
    Caved in and ordered the orange one with date
    Congrats. Looking forward to seeing how it looks on the wrist! It is difficult to see how Helson cannot but be successful in the long run with this sort of business model: produce an almost perfectly executed, impeccably tasteful product, offer a sensible selection of configurations, price it properly, and sell out 100 pieces in 24 hours.

Martin

I like this vintage-looking watch.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by MartinCRC
    Sometimes, being a ditherer can work to one's financial advantage. They are all sold out now. If it weren't for the very long case length I might have caved too, but as it is I still have my Ģ415 in my pocket.

Martin
    If I find the lug length too much for my wrist then it'll be up for sale. This will be my first Helson experience so I'm very interested in how the fit, finish and service will be. I've heard nothing but good reports so far

I wasn't that bothered before, but now I know they've sold out and I can't have one I'm desperate. :lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    I wasn't that bothered before, but now I know they've sold out and I can't have one I'm desperate. :lol:
    Even thogh I'm waiting on a Kingston, I felt the same way after waiting out the Kemmner 007...now all of a sudden I want one....I held out as long as I could with this Helson though I have a horrible feeling the long-ish lugs might bother me

I'll be interested to see what it is like when it arrives - I've read very positive comments on the quality of the watches Peter Helson has made.

I would imagine others will be able to post photos before I get the chance, so I look forward to seeing the images as well.

Quote Originally Posted by sunster
    Even though I'm waiting on a Kingston, I felt the same way after waiting out the Kemmner 007...now all of a sudden I want one....
    There's just too much wrong with the Kemmner - minute hand too long, brushed case sides, daft logo and a cheap looking insert. I've never been tempted other than a brief flirtation with the idea of replacing the dial with a sterile date dial but then I wondered whether the over-long minute hand was a sign that the dial was of a non-standard size and I binned that idea. I can see no aesthetic flaws at all in the Helson though.

Martin

Craftsman

I deeply regret not ordering one and had no idea there were as few as 25 of each model :cry:

Good news - watch arrived today.

Bad news - it wasn't the one I ordered...wrong number, wrong colour lume and a date window when I didn't want one...

Though I have not put it on, the lugs do seem long and may take some getting used to...but a good-looking watch.

Have contacted Peter Helson and I hope this will be sorted out.

Craftsman

If you'd rather sell it straight on and re order could you pm me please?

Kind regards,

Matt.

Peter has emailed me to say he's going to try to get it sorted out...I'll wait to see what he can arrange, but if it doesn't work out, of course I'll bear you in mind.

Craftsman

Many thanks, either way some pics to tease would be lovely ;-)

Craftsman

I'm starting to see pictures of these and ask the lucky few on here who got one to please post pics of yours.

And I'm also happy to be pm'd if any of you feel like passing yours on, if you find its not for you when you try it on.

Craftsman

I got an email this morning informing me:

"Hello, we have a few more Skindivers available on the website. Regards Peter"

....and I've now secured one of these:

It was the only one available when I logged on (people on U.S. time would have got any others) and I'm guessing it was a cancellation.

Mine arrived this morning and I've posted some photos here: - viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169311

007 (orange no date) arrived today after the initial mix up on delivery. All was sorted out very quickly and professionally by Peter Helson, so no stress.

Beautiful watch. Not sure what all the full on lug to lug length is about. I have weedy wrists just under 7 inches, but it fits beautifully - curve of the lug ends hugs the wrist.

Will try to post some pictures as soon as I can.

Sorry to be way behind the curve, but delay in delivery then hassle finding the time to photograph and post photos, but here are a few quick poor quality photos of my watch...

I have a smallish wrist (6 3/4 inches), but I think the watch fits very niclely and is very comfortable to wear...bear in mind the lugs are curved and my wrist is quite flat on top. The supplied strap also holds the watch very comfortably and snugly on the wrist. I am also really pleased with the number, which Peter reserved for me in response to an early inquiry after these watches...makes me feel much cooler than I really am when I look at it.

I'm not doing this to spread scuttlebut rumours and the provenance of the attached remarks may or may not be without bias and as with everything internet-borne - one swallow a summer doesn't make, anyway, thought this may be of interest - http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?p=141775

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by andy111s
    I'm not doing this to spread scuttlebut rumours and the provenance of the attached remarks may or may not be without bias and as with everything internet-borne - one swallow a summer doesn't make, anyway, thought this may be of interest - http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/showthread.php?p=141775

Oops, that's not good for Helson.

That's a real shocker :shock: :shock: :shock:

I wasn't too struck with it anyway and the "007" being so visible had aleady swung me towards "it's not for me"
    Gray

Oh dear. Not good.

Just goes to show that it's difficult to produce a consistently quality watch at that kind of price point.

Craftsman

Not good and theres a much longer thread on the subject that can be read in the dive watch section of WUS.

I'm still very happy with my Skindiver (nice pics of 007 btw). The nearest it will ever get to water would be in a swimming pool and thats unlikely tbh, as with most dive watches in the world. What it has done is given me second thoughts about purchasing a Shark Diver. I'd pretty much made my mind up to get one and am now having a good long think about it.

Redd

Master

Sometimes its better to do things slow and make sure they are perfect on the inside and not just on the surface. Looking at the pictures on WUS it is not the first time I have seen this rather faulty construction with the movement holder. Seems to be far more difficult to seal a watch for 2 ATM than to write 100 on the dial. :lol: One needs to check and check and check again, not matter where a watch is made but probably a bit more when its all made and assembled there.

I have a skindiver waiting in the PO for me to collect on tues, so i'm pretty interested on what the deal is, if you read the WUS topic, there is claims that it's a set up, by a french forum, the guy supposedly had 3 different helsons, one skin diver and the omega hommage, the omega homages failed twice, but the second one he had he never tested before he went diving to over 100ft?? if i was using anything as a back up to save my life i'm 100% sure i'd have tested it..

anyway theres a classic hissy fit going off now, i take it anyone here hasn't had a problems then?

Master

if you read the WUS topic, there is claims that it's a set up,
    I would be very surprised if this was a set up. The issue there is the way this watch (and many others too) are designed and constructed by the case maker and the lack of quality control during assembly. Its not a matter of a faulty seal. When I buy a brand new dive watch from a producer who claims 1000m or 200m I would never go and have it tested before I dive with it. If it fails then it's a faulty product and the warranty must cover it. A different story with a second hand watch. Also, that watch started to leak at 130 feet, if it was my watch, it would have been no issue at all as I seldom ever dive deeper than 50 feet.
    We just need to remember that while in theory it is all so simple, proper professional waterproof watches have been here for the past 60 or so years and when they first hit the market it was a huge achievement to produce them in masses.
    At lot of the current offerings survive by the fact that the watches are never used for what they claim they can do. A serious dive watch in my opinion uses multiple crown, crystal and case back seals and needs to be of a minimum material thickness to withstand the pressure.
    A couple of years back a German Watch magazine tested some of the brand divers and while most of them did not leak, lots of them stopped working before they reached their depth rating as the case was compressed and this stopped the movement.

Craftsman

In order for this to be some kind of set-up, someone would have to have a strong personal vendetta against Helson.

If you have had any dealings with Peter Helson, you would think that hard to believe.

I think it's a combination of bad luck, some poor QC, and frustration. I'm happy with my Helson watches, and will likely get them pressure tested prior to using them in the sea, but that's about it.

No smoke/mirrors, or innuendo...

Quote Originally Posted by Dibetu
    if you read the WUS topic, there is claims that it's a set up,
    I would be very surprised if this was a set up. The issue there is the way this watch (and many others too) are designed and constructed by the case maker and the lack of quality control during assembly. Its not a matter of a faulty seal. When I buy a brand new dive watch from a producer who claims 1000m or 200m I would never go and have it tested before I dive with it. If it fails then it's a faulty product and the warranty must cover it. A different story with a second hand watch. Also, that watch started to leak at 130 feet, if it was my watch, it would have been no issue at all as I seldom ever dive deeper than 50 feet.
    We just need to remember that while in theory it is all so simple, proper professional waterproof watches have been here for the past 60 or so years and when they first hit the market it was a huge achievement to produce them in masses.
    At lot of the current offerings survive by the fact that the watches are never used for what they claim they can do. A serious dive watch in my opinion uses multiple crown, crystal and case back seals and needs to be of a minimum material thickness to withstand the pressure.
    A couple of years back a German Watch magazine tested some of the brand divers and while most of them did not leak, lots of them stopped working before they reached their depth rating as the case was compressed and this stopped the movement.
    I'm not sure we know it started leaking at 130ft. It was flooded after a 40m / 130ft dive. Far more likely to leak at lower pressure than randomly leak at 5ATM given the design...

Banned

Not sure about a 'set up'. If you read the WUS thread, the guy that posted the issue is a long standing member over there - 7 yrs I think. He is a prolific diver and has reviewed many watch makes over the years. He openly admits that he doesn't need a dive watch to go diving - he has proper equipment for that, but wears his watches as he is a dive watch nut.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly
    Blimey - that's nice, as it happens (and my countless WTB's for a 50B have got me nowhere fast).
    +1. Always regretted selling my 50b

Where do I signup. :?:

Craftsman

that orange lume is absolutely stunning bmpf, thanks for pics!

Master

Well I was just picking up some shoes from Timpson and I noticed they had a watch pressure testing machine. Granted it only went to 100m but my Helson passed with no leaks.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dazzler
    Well I was just picking up some shoes from Timpson and I noticed they had a watch pressure testing machine. Granted it only went to 100m but my Helson passed with no leaks.
    :thumbright: Good stuff

Master

It doesn't mean much I guess but I'll be happy swimming in in.

In fairness, I thought I should point out that Peter has replied on this issue:

Because of the recent rumor in some watch forums
    we want to assure [you] that each single watch is pressure tested to the water resistance stated on the dial.
    Pictures from underwater test will follow at the end of the week.
    In case of issues, all watches are covered by a warranty and we stand behind our products.

I tend to go with the 'poor batch QC, bad luck and frustration' rather than taking a more extreme view that people seem to be doing over on WuS.

In fairness, I thought I should point out that Peter has replied on this issue:

Because of the recent rumor in some watch forums
    we want to assure [you] that each single watch is pressure tested to the water resistance stated on the dial.
    Pictures from underwater test will follow at the end of the week.
    In case of issues, all watches are covered by a warranty and we stand behind our products.

I tend to go with the 'poor batch QC, bad luck and frustration' rather than taking a more extreme view that people seem to be doing over on WuS.
    Good form but personally, if I had one, I'd want to send it back under warranty for testing again as clearly there was a problem.
    Gray

OK, I picked mine up from the PO this morning, send from sunny Ireland by sunny (sunster), from the looks of it, it's well put together, bearing in mind the rest of my collection is now rolex only, it's heavy and solid, yes it's not got the same feel, but it's a 10th of the price! I'm going to have it pressure tested, just to see. I'm afraid i like the look, so i'll have to go and look for a vintage blancpain.

Bollocks.... :x

(neil dont be posting some more milspec pics....)

On holiday with my Skindiver (and my family). With trepidation dived into the pool this morning, followed by a couple of stylish bomb-dives and horsing around underwater. No worries at all. And it even survived the sauna for 5 mins. Not the faintest sign of a leak or fogginess. Just thought I'd let you know. Of course, it's not a very scientific or extreme test and I'm not a long-standing member of hundreds of international forums, but thought it good to report anyway, in case you were all worried about it.

Master

In the photo that guy posts where the watch is in the pot of water, it must be a great trick of the light because that claimed air bubble looks remarkably like the rubber seal is pinched in the case............................

Might just be my ageing eyesight!

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r50/ ... oblem4.jpg

Stef