closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Screw down crown on manual watch

Craftsman

Screw down crown on manual watch

Hi,

I have a (silly :?: ) question.

I am looking to buy a very nice Panerai Radiomir with manual movement but screw down crown. :drunken:

I (think I) have heard of some issues with this for dialy use over the long run. What happens if the threading is damaged, does it mean a new case??

This worries me somewhat before this major investment.

Does the Speedy Pro have screw down crown (the Panerai has the same movement)?

Hope someone can help me so I can buy the watch (and get problems with my wife )

Re: Screw down crown on manual watch

No, it doesn't mean a new case, but a new crown tube/crown, which is not a DIY job for most people.

Not the same movement either.

Quote Originally Posted by feilersen
    Hi,

I have a (silly :?: ) question.

I am looking to buy a very nice Panerai Radiomir with manual movement but screw down crown. :drunken:

I (think I) have heard of some issues with this for dialy use over the long run. What happens if the threading is damaged, does it mean a new case??

This worries me somewhat before this major investment.

Does the Speedy Pro have screw down crown (the Panerai has the same movement)?

Hope someone can help me so I can buy the watch (and get problems with my wife )
    On (some) Rolex you only change a small part, not entire case.

Craftsman

Thank you.

But it is normally a problem?

The Panerai has the Lemania 1873 (edit 1872) movement which I believe was also used in the Speedy Pro?

Master

I used to have a Glycine Incursore half-hunter with manual wind and a screw down crown. Not very practical, but at least you won't have to unscrew it more than every 48th hour or so....

It's the yellow one in the centre of the picture.

I actually had an issue with the threading but it was resolved with new tube and crown...

I prefer a ordinary sticker crown when it's manual wind watch, like the ordinary Glycine Incursore. Sticker crown but still 200m WR.

/Erik

These two both have manual movements (Valjoux 7731 and 7740), and both have screw-down crowns.

Both date from 1980 or so, and both still have the original crowns that screw down a full turn and ahalf at least.
    It may not be terribly practical, but it can work
    Dave

A lot will depend on how careful you are but you are right to be concerned about the issue with a manual watch.

Used to wear a Moscow Classic aeronavigator chrono for some time that had screwed crown and manual winding movement. No problems with it. I was trying to be careful with the screw threads when unscrewing or screwing the crown. I didn't mind doing it and for me it was not such a harassment (having to remember to wind the watch was a little bit annoying to me). I prefer that than non screwed down crowns.

Craftsman

Hmmm.. what to do, what to do... :?

Is the Speedy Pro with screw down crown?

Master

I have a Panerai 210 and to date no issue with the screw down crown. Just take it easy and don't over tighten it and you should be fine. This isn't an issue I have heard much about whilst trawling these hallowed pages.

Craftsman

It'll probably work without any problems for years or even decades, but still the general idea seems off to me. Especially today, were manufacturing tolerances, gaskets, seals etc are of a much higher standard than 30-40 years ago.

I am not big on screw down crowns on handwinds any more.

How ever, you should have no problems if you are careful.

Wind the movement, push crown in, turn crown back a bit (or opposite of screwing the crown down secure) till you hear/feel it engage - then proceed to screw in/down the crown.

This will be second nature after having done it a few times. It certainly should not keep you from buying a favourite watch.

If something happens, it should just be a simple matter of having your watchmaker change the tube. It certainly does not involve changing anything major, like you suggested.

On the forum, some have mentioned stripping the thread when screwing in/down the crown on a handwind.

I suspect, that in some cases watch owners are clumsy/use too much force or are not taking a minimum of care when performing this simple operation.

Craftsman

Thanks for all the great reponses.

Is it possible to change the tube on all watches (Panerai Radiomir in particular)? :?:

The speedy pro does not have a screw down crown. WR is only 30/50m depending on age.

If it is well engineered it is not a problem.

I have had loads of Precisions etc from the '50's onwards and they have always worked fine.

Simply an aid to W/R on a manual watch.

Can't be a bad thing can it?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Journeyman

Personally, screw down crowns for manual winders makes winding a bit more cumbersome. I'd a Poljot which i flipped soon after as it kinda annoyed me. Being a land lubber, i'd forego some water resistance for ease and simplicity... as in my Speedy Pro 8)

Master
    Blog Entries

With regard to a Panerai, stripped or cross threads is not an inherant weakness. Clumsy, ham fisted, heavy handed use is what causes the problem.

Sensible care and as already advised, once wound, depress the spring loaded crown and gently rotate it anti clockwise until the thread engages before tightening it up :)

If it remains unworn for a while but you want to keep it running, simply leave the crown 'open'.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowman
    With regard to a Panerai, stripped or cross threads is not an inherant weakness. Clumsy, ham fisted, heavy handed use is what causes the problem.

Sensible care and as already advised, once wound, depress the spring loaded crown and gently rotate it anti clockwise until the thread engages before tightening it up :)

If it remains unworn for a while but you want to keep it running, simply leave the crown 'open'.
    Sage advice - I have a few titanium autos that soemtimes don't get worn for a few days and I have to resist the urge to wind them until I need them (no watch winder!!).

Not sure if leaving the crowns unscrewed is too wise - dust etc...