closing tag is in template navbar
Time Factors Watches



TZ-UK Fundraiser
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Singer Design 911

  1. #1

    Singer Design 911

    I was seriously impressed with the Singer Design 911 when i first saw some pics and once I'd read the tech specs i was even more impressed. Link to a picture gallery:

    http://www.worldcarpictures.com/2011-po ... ooks-cool/

    What you are basically looking at is a modern 911 (964) fully rebuild and upgraded with modern mechanicals and components (some from the 964 RS, 993 Turbo etc, some from Bilstein, Brembo etc) but housed in a full carbon fibre retro styled body and retro detailing inside - there's even a Heuer chronograph on the dashboard which i thought was a nice touch ;)

    The price for this bit of kit is $200,000 though :shock: Must remember to put a Euromillions ticket on tomorrow!

    Full tech specs are available on the manufacturers website - worth a read.

    http://www.singervehicledesign.com/

  2. #2

    Re: Singer Design 911

    As a Classic 911 fanatic and owner I have mixed emotions about the Singer cars.

    If money was no object then I'd have one but it wouldn't be on the basis of a Heuer logo on a modified clock though!

    Can't deny they are a hell of a car although the concept of backdating and retro fitting is by no means a new one within the Porsche community.

  3. #3

    Re: Singer Design 911

    Yep money no object it'd be a very nice car to own but if i had that kind of cash there would be a lot of cars that I'd buy before considering a Singer 911. I think its a toy for the uber rich only :D

    The Heuer chrono is a nice touch, i thought I'd point it out as we are talking cars on a watch forum after all but it wouldn't be a selling point for me either - I'd be much more interested in how my 200k car stops, go's and handles! :lol:

    Agree with you completely about the concept of backdating and retrofitting having been done many times before with Porsches but the Singer does look to be a really well designed piece of kit - impressive engineering and detail throughout. Under the skin its a thoroughly modern piece of kit (especially with some of the options ticked) that should be able to hold its own whether its on track or on the road - I'll be interested to read the reviews if and when the motoring press over here get access to one.

    Definitely a nice car though 8)

  4. #4

    Re: Singer Design 911

    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke
    Yep money no object it'd be a very nice car to own but if i had that kind of cash there would be a lot of cars that I'd buy before considering a Singer 911. I think its a toy for the uber rich only :D

    The Heuer chrono is a nice touch, i thought I'd point it out as we are talking cars on a watch forum after all but it wouldn't be a selling point for me either - I'd be much more interested in how my 200k car stops, go's and handles! :lol:

    Agree with you completely about the concept of backdating and retrofitting having been done many times before with Porsches but the Singer does look to be a really well designed piece of kit - impressive engineering and detail throughout. Under the skin its a thoroughly modern piece of kit (especially with some of the options ticked) that should be able to hold its own whether its on track or on the road - I'll be interested to read the reviews if and when the motoring press over here get access to one.

    Definitely a nice car though 8)
    Been out for a few years now

    All the UK Porsche press have done reviews

    Talented Porsche journalist John Glynn and supremo car photographer Jamie Lipman covered it back in late 2009

    http://www.johndglynn.com/singer-porsche-911-california

  5. #5

    Re: Singer Design 911

    Were those not prototypes that the press reviewed and briefly drove earlier though?

    2009 was when Singer's 'Concept 911' was unveiled and there were articles around that time and in then in 2010 but according to their own website the first production Singer 911 was only completed and delivered to its owner in Sept 2010. I thought they had only finished one more car since then and they had now finished another which had only been unveiled to the press this month?

    Could be wrong though and maybe i just missed the recent reviews and road tests of the finished production model - if you have any links I'd be keen to browse them though - cheers.

  6. #6

    Re: Singer Design 911

    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke
    Were those not prototypes that the press reviewed and briefly drove earlier though?

    2009 was when Singer's 'Concept 911' was unveiled and there were articles around that time and in then in 2010 but according to their own website the first production Singer 911 was only completed and delivered to its owner in Sept 2010. I thought they had only finished one more car since then and they had now finished another which had only been unveiled to the press this month?

    Could be wrong though and maybe i just missed the recent reviews and road tests of the finished production model - if you have any links I'd be keen to browse them though - cheers.
    The first production cars have made a bit of editorial but not loads as they follow the concepts very closely

  7. #7
    Master thorpey69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Sunny Essex
    Posts
    2,421

    Re: Singer Design 911

    Love that in parts,but still has a few to many modern touches to be perfect style wise,but as a non Pork fan i find it very attractive on the whole.

  8. #8
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    24,690

    Re: Singer Design 911

    I have a 964 :D but alas no $200k.

    If I had I would take mine over to Ruf and have it BTR'ed. :D
    http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ple...ki/4582503410/


    And blow the remaining 100k on an RS or turbo2

    Andy

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


  9. #9

    Re: Singer Design 911

    Is Paul Stephens still producing his cars, they looked stunning a couple of years ago when I was looking around?
    http://www.psautoart.com/ps-cars/Ret...htweight-R/490
    Cheers
    Peter

  10. #10

    Re: Singer Design 911

    Latest evo reviews an Autofarm example of this principal too. Cost works out approx the same as a new 911 apparently, which sounds rather convenient. Can't deny the appeal of the package though with any of the offerings; it would be a nice option each morning for sure.

  11. #11

    Re: Singer Design 911

    Quote Originally Posted by oily101200
    Is Paul Stephens still producing his cars, they looked stunning a couple of years ago when I was looking around?
    http://www.psautoart.com/ps-cars/Ret...htweight-R/490
    Cheers
    Peter
    Yes Paul is still producing them.

  12. #12
    Master tiny73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Back in Blighty
    Posts
    3,497

    Re: Singer Design 911

    I think the Singer cars are stunning, but then for £200k you'd expect them to be frankly, i suppose the rarity value might protect you from some depreciation (although if you've got that money to spend on one perhaps thats less of a concern?...)

    For the money though i'd be looking at an original 73 RS or a PS autoart version and money left over for a daily sh*tter. Like a 997 turbo :D

    I'd take a viper green PS autoart Targa myself....

  13. #13
    Grand Master Foxy100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Die Fuchsröhre
    Posts
    14,481

    Re: Singer Design 911

    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg
    I have a 964 :D but alas no $200k.

    If I had I would take mine over to Ruf and have it BTR'ed. :D
    http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ple...ki/4582503410/


    And blow the remaining 100k on an RS or turbo2

    Andy
    Can't beat a bit of Ruf
    "A man of little significance"

  14. #14
    Grand Master hogthrob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    13,904

    Re: Singer Design 911

    Is that ... a distributor?


  15. #15
    Grand Master Andyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    24,690

    Re: Singer Design 911

    On yea. With 12 leads as the 964 engine is a twin spark :D

    And not a lot of people know that :D :D

    Andy

    Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Do Not Sell My Personal Information