closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Am I being childish when ....

Am I being childish when ....

Ok - so I was in a meeting this afternoon, I caught one of the other guys taking a crafty look at my watch, so I looked at his... He had a Tag Heuer SEL or Link Aquaracer quartz type. Mine was the magnificent Super Professional automatic I bought from TomGW a couple of weeks ago...

I confess to thinking... "Yessss - my watch trumps yours!"

I can't be the only one ... can I??

Greg

Master

Re: Am I being childish when ....

I don't know if it's childish but years ago I do confess to a smug sense of wristwatch-specific superiority over people wearing Tags and lesser Omegas at work, when sporting a Rolex or an IWC.

Funnily enough I didn't exercise the same self-congratulatory smugness over people wearing a Casio or a Lorus, because they weren't playing the game ..

Yes - it's both stupid and childish - and I do it all the time :mrgreen:

My manager wears a casio digital, I often get a smug feeling when wearing my Breitling Avenger Chrono and he pikes it. :lol:

Although...................

Im sure he gets the same feeling when he drives away in his BMW 7 Series and sees me in my Ford Focus. :lol:

Plenty to be smug about when you own a Super Professional :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover
    Funnily enough I didn't exercise the same self-congratulatory smugness over people wearing a Casio or a Lorus, because they weren't playing the game ..
    They might have been with a Casio, and as far as they were concerned they might have been winning. :wink:

Yes you are being childish. I do it all the time.
    But I have a dilema - the manager at the Oil Depot I get Diesel from wears either a Seamaster Pro Chrono (maybe Ti version?) and an old shape Sub LV in rotation.
    I now have to consider what I wear whenever I visit and try to out-watch him!!! It also confirms i'm paying too much for my fuel :lol:
    But that gives me a great idea.... What about a pack of Top Trumps for watches :idea: Rate them on jewels, beats, RRP, WR, Size etc.?

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Wazza
    Plenty to be smug about when you own a Super Professional :wink:

Nice to see my old PVD one again!!
    That was a cool watch.

Quote Originally Posted by notenoughwrists
    Top Trumps for watches :idea: Rate them on jewels, beats, RRP, WR, Size etc.?
    :P
    ...we could also have 'top trumps' for forum members - courtesy, general horological knowledge, speciality horological knowledge, sotc, sense of humour, flipper factor, troll factor, amount of times they contradict themselves in one day etc etc
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

It's not childish.

Its just a Gareth Cheeseman moment. :lol:
    "Bite my shiny metal ass."
    - Bender Bending Rodríguez

Master

Does my Seiko SARB trump my bosses' Brietling Bentley?

My trumps are always better than the Mrs's ... louder, longer and far more fragrant ..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gentlemenpreferhats
    I'd say so, yes. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon
    I'd say so, yes. :-)
    The problem is... he thinks the Bentley trumps the SARB :?

I love this game in boring meetings. I try to sneak a peak at what everyone is wearing watch-wise, and wonder what they were thinking when they bought that. If the answer is "nothing, it's just a watch" that's cool, but if the answer is "wow this will make me look successful", then obviously my my smugness rises rapidly. And when it's a proper watch (by my own dubious definition), then hats off to the guy/gal.

Craftsman

I don't know if it's childish but years ago I do confess to a smug sense of wristwatch-specific superiority over people wearing Tags and lesser Omegas at work, when sporting a Rolex or an IWC.
    The best thing about that is that the both parties get to feel smug when you have an IWC, Chopard, GO or some such watch as the ones wearing "Tags and lesser Omegas" rarely even recognize the brand of your watch. "What's that? An IWC, eh? Never heard" :wink:

Seriously though, I hate non WIS people noticing my watches.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

A forum member on here has openly admitted to me that he carries about 6 pens in breast pocket and waits untill everyone else at the meeting gets their pen out be fore selecting his, making sure his is better than anyone elses by just one level so not appearing to be too flash.

A very classy approach to one upmanship 8)
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

Quote Originally Posted by gvlondon
    I...wonder what they were thinking when they bought that. If the answer is "nothing, it's just a watch" that's cool, but if the answer is "wow, this will make me look successful"....
    What if they were thinking: "that's a cool looking watch, I like the look of it"?

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches
    A forum member on here has openly admitted to me that he carries about 6 pens in breast pocket and waits untill everyone else at the meeting gets their pen out be fore selecting his, making sure his is better than anyone elses by just one level so not appearing to be too flash.

That is far too much trouble to go to over a pen. :bom:

Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches

I'd have no idea what a good pen is

I just use the cheapest I can find since I always lose them. Guess I'm the Lorus type of guy when it comes to pens.

Wearing my vintage Seiko 7a28 - the worlds first analogue quartz chrono as I type - surely that trumps a few people :lol: :lol: :bounce:

Master

Yeah, but I'm a student so most of the people I see round campus wear shitty fashion watches or <£50 watches.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by al1991
    Yeah, but I'm a student so most of the people I see round campus wear shitty fashion watches or <£50 watches.
    :roll:

If it makes you feel good that's all that matters.

I'm sure they aren't fussed.

Most of us have more than one watch - what if it was their G-shock day and they left the Patek moonphase at home?
    It's just a matter of time...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by PekkaM
    Wow, what an articulate post.

If you can't be bothered to actually type words then don't try and pick fault with what I post.

Quote Originally Posted by PekkaM
    Wow, what an articulate post.

If you can't be bothered to actually type words then don't try and pick fault with what I post.

:lol:

Yeah, but I'm a student so most of the people I see round campus wear trashy fashion watches or <£50 watches.
    Sorted that for you. We're not in the S.U. bar now, chief....

:wink:

Looking at other blokes watches is the only thing that keeps my sanity when shopping with the wife :lol: ........oh I forgot, and decent watch shops!
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock
    Looking at other blokes watches is the only thing that keeps my sanity when shopping with the wife :lol: ........oh I forgot, and decent watch shops!
    What do you do when folks spot you looking at their watch? (It can lead to awkward conversations at the gents urinals, believe me...) :lol:

I have a better watch than my boss but he has three Aston Martins and two Range Rovers. I have a client who wears a Nike watch (!) but he's EX KGB so he can wear what he bloody well wants.

not getting much joy out of trumping people in other words :)

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock
    What do you do when folks spot you looking at their watch? (It can lead to awkward conversations at the gents urinals, believe me...) :lol:
    Wise words indeed. For anyone looking to take up this shopping with wife / girlfriend / partner etc "watch spotting" pastime, remember to refrain from staring when taking a pee! :lol:
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Master

All of this presupposes that people are playing this game on an approximately similar level of awareness and wealth, which is not necessarily the case.

For example, my daily beater is a GMT-IIc, which allows me to "play" at a certain level ~~ sports & bi-metal Datejust players.. So far, so good, but should I swap it for my Orange-Hand Explorer-II I'm effectively out of the game with "common herd" of high end watch wearers.

At the end of the day I wear my watch for ME!

Mike.

Master

Yeah, but I'm a student so most of the people I see round campus wear trashy fashion watches or <£50 watches.
    Sorted that for you. We're not in the S.U. bar now, chief....

:wink:
    So mild swear words are out of the question, but snidey personal insults which appear on other threads are acceptable?

Master

A wonder if I am being childish when I start asking Rolex Sub or similar wearers about the relative merits of Heliox & trimix on dives around 100 Meters? :twisted:

Mike.

At home - But They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Ha

I was once out with wife n parents. Their friend wore gold Daytona.

Not feeling upstaged - even if his was worth more - I pulled my cuff back to show my AP RO chrono :D
    Paul

GOT...TO...KILL...CAPTAIN STUPID!

I think the previously mentioned Casios would do that ...

Quote Originally Posted by miked10270
    A wonder if I am being childish when I start asking Rolex Sub or similar wearers about the relative merits of Heliox & trimix on dives around 100 Meters? :twisted:

Mike.
    I've got all three! :wink: :lol:

Andy

Journeyman

Yes you are being childish. I do it all the time.
    But I have a dilema - the manager at the Oil Depot I get Diesel from wears either a Seamaster Pro Chrono (maybe Ti version?) and an old shape Sub LV in rotation.
    I now have to consider what I wear whenever I visit and try to out-watch him!!! It also confirms i'm paying too much for my fuel :lol:
    But that gives me a great idea.... What about a pack of Top Trumps for watches :idea: Rate them on jewels, beats, RRP, WR, Size etc.?
    top trumps for watches?! Great idea! how many cards are in a pack of top trumps? 50-ish? I'm sure we could come up with a list of fifty.