closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Seiko 7A38-7070 - Parts / Refurb

Apprentice

Seiko 7A38-7070 - Parts / Refurb

I've just pulled this out of my draw, a watch my dad gave me when i was young and wore as a teenager, I'm (39 now).

I'd like to get it done up a bit as it was my Dad's, nostalgic value really.

It always kept spot on time, but hasn't had a battery in it for the last 12-13 years.

My question is really, can you still get parts - who would i send it to and what could they do, it's the bezel really that lets it down as i wore it for several years in my twenties and scratched it :(

Apprentice

Re: Seiko 7A38-7070 - Parts / Refurb

That's a great model, especially with its original bracelet. I've had Seiko in the USA (new jersey) restore/repair a couple of 7A38s. They both came back looking great. They'll probably have a replacement bezel/insert for you if it really bothers you. Tis a fantastic chronograph and worthy of being put right. Good luck.

Master
    Blog Entries

You should speak to Seiko7A38fan! 8) :D

Apprentice

Thanks for some great information, phoned but missed closing by 25 minutes.

I will try tomorrow, do you have any information on the model: manufacturing dates, type of quartz movement etc ?

Master
    Blog Entries

The movement is a 7A38 and is 15jewels and dates to around 1980s do you have the long serial number on the caseback?

Bry

Apprentice

Serial number 425795 !

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975
    Somebody taking my name in vain ? That's my username on 'the other side'. :D
    Quote Originally Posted by chizz-gb
    Serial number 425795 !
    That s/n indicates a date of manufacture of February 1984 - (from 4 and 2).

My own 7A38-7070 serial # 426786 (also February 1984) says 'Hello'. :)

I've just pulled this out of my drawer .... but hasn't had a battery in it for the last 12-13 years.
    BTW - I hope you mean by that - it has been left in your drawer for 12-13 years and the old battery was removed first.

Because if you've left the old run-down battery in it that long, it may have leaked, and done all kinds of nasty things to the internals. :cry:

Apprentice

If i could get mine looking like that i'd be a happy man !

As for the battery, well it's still in there - fingers crosssed :shock:

Thanks for the dating of Feb 1984.

As for the battery, well it's still in there - fingers crosssed :shock:
    Oh Dear. :(

Can you remember how the watch was left in the drawer ? Dial face up ? If so, and the battery leaked, you may be lucky. :?
    Does the crystal look cloudy ? Has the lume on the dial or hands started to decompose ? Those are usually bad signs. :cry:

Apprentice

I can't recall how it was stored, but no visible signs to the face.

Going to take it to a jewellers to get the back off this afternoon, hopefully all being well the battery is still intact. :roll:

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. ;)
    Hope the jeweller doesn't graunch up the case-back too much with their removal tool. Many often do. :roll:
    If everything inside looks O.K., and they fit a new battery, make sure it's one of the correct #394 / SR936SW size and a decent make - Maxell or Renata.

Apprentice

Watch opened, checked, no leakage. The jeweler did say it needed a couple of new button seals but apart from that was excellent.

I think he may have put a new battery in as it has started working again, the hands don't align properly on reset but I'm sure that's a service issue.

Seiko Uk have replied - no bezel available and no parts. The US however seem quite optimistic, stating they may order them in presumably from Japan.

I may well send it to them for a service and see if they can find me a bezel.

Oh and yes the jeweler did scratch the back of the case !

Watch opened, checked, no leakage. The jeweler did say it needed a couple of new button seals but apart from that was excellent.
    Then you were lucky. :)

I think he may have put a new battery in as it has started working again, the hands don't align properly on reset but I'm sure that's a service issue.
    Not a service issue - purely a result of the battery change. You can reset them yourself quite easily. ;)
    Pull out the crown to the first click (where you can also reset the day/date)*
    In turn, press the pushers to reset the sub-dial / hands to zero, as follows:
    2 o'clock pusher advances the 1/10 seconds sub-dial.
    4 o'clock pusher advances the sweep second hand.
    10 o'clock pusher advances the 30 minute subdial.

* Do not do this with the watch showing a time between 11:00 and and 3:00 - it's possible to accidently b*gger the day/date quickset.

it's the bezel really that lets it down as i wore it for several years in my twenties and scratched it :(
    Seiko Uk have replied - no bezel available and no parts. The US however seem quite optimistic, stating they may order them in presumably from Japan.

I may well send it to them for a service and see if they can find me a bezel.
    What's exactly wrong with your bezel ? Your small photo isn't exactly the sharpest - but I've seen a lot worse.
    Having a bit of 'Wabi-sabi' on a Diver's bezel insert is part of a watch's character. Especially if it was your doing.
    The original bezel assembly for a 7A38-7070, Seiko p/n 86310523 is pretty much obsolete and NLA - 'unobtanium'.
    Seiko never sold the bezel insert seperately, but there are after-market black bezel inserts that can be reamed to fit.
    If it's just the bezel insert which is scratched, and you want to replace it with a correct-appearing one, with the right font
    - the similar looking Seiko 7A28-7040/-7049 (no day/date model) used a similar (but not identical) bezel assembly.*
    However, this bezel assembly is fitted with what appears to be exactly the same black insert as the 7A38-7070.
    Seiko p/n for the 7A28-7040/-7049 bezel assembly is 86310283.
    Last time I looked, Cousins UK still had these in stock.

*Photos of a mint 7A28-7040 here: http://www.ninanet.net/watches/others13 ... o7a28.html (scroll down the page)

Apprentice

Thanks for helping a newbie !

I have reset the affected dials, set the day/date and will leave it and see what it does for a few days.

Took it to a high street jeweler who scratched the back, then the local brietling dealer who without asking put a new battery in after checking FOC !

I think a new insert would do just fine, the bezel itself is ok with some dust/dirt under it.

Would a proper service, involve taking it to bits, cleaning, replacing the button seals, timing it etc ?

Seiko said they don't polish bracelets so i could find someone else to do that.

Would a proper service, involve taking it to bits, cleaning, replacing the button seals, timing it etc ?
    And most importantly, re-lubricating it. ;)

Seiko said they don't polish bracelets so i could find someone else to do that.
    Arghhh !!!! :pale:

Don't even think about 'polishing the bracelet', if you're trying to get the watch back to original condition !!!
    The 7A38-7070 is supposed to have that matt frosted silvery coating (all over - except the polished case-back).
    If that silvery coating is worn off your bracelet, you might want to consider having it very lightly bead blasted.

Quote Originally Posted by Seiko7A38
    If that silvery coating is worn off your bracelet, you might want to consider having it very lightly bead blasted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975
    .... And if you do, you should talk to Bry1975 about that ! 8) :D

Master

Interesting thread. I got a 7A28 from my dad when I turned 18 (my first "proper" watch) and took it to be brought back to life when I was 39 (2 years ago) after it sat with an old battery in it for about 10 years. I got very lucky too and it just needed to have one of the pushers cleaned and freed as it had become stuck over the years.

I don't wear mine that often, but I do pull it out now and again. It is a very cool watch, wabi and all.

Cheers,

Jay

Without question or hesitation I would leave everything 'as is' as regards the bezel, case and bracelet finish and dial/lume. Firstly it's part of the watches history, secondly, the originality will be affected if you do want to move it on - I don't know whether it will affect value but it certainly affects originality.

Each to their own of course, but I'm glad I didn't refurb mine when I was trying to make the same decision.

You can refurb any time, you can't un-refurb....

Quote Originally Posted by alljay
    .... after it sat with an old battery in it for about 10 years. I got very lucky too ....
    I think a lot of this 'luck' with people leaving old batteries in situ, for years after they have run flat is very much dependant on the quality of the (dead) battery fitted - as to whether they leak or not.
    I remember about 18 months back, buying an almost mint 7A38 off eBay in the States
    It had hardly been worn, and according to the seller, never had the battery changed. (The case-back was absolutely pristine).
    From personal experience, I know that if you don't play with chrono' functions on a 7A38, a good quality battery can last over 5 years.
    But even allowing for that, it meant that this particular run-down battery must have been left in the watch for over 15 years. :pale:
    It was worth the gamble. The battery was still 100% intact - it was of course the original Seiko SR936SW (#394). :)
    Not to be recommended though. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by andy111s
    Without question or hesitation I would leave everything 'as is' as regards the bezel, case and bracelet finish and dial/lume. Firstly it's part of the watches history, secondly, the originality will be affected if you do want to move it on - I don't know whether it will affect value but it certainly affects originality.

Each to their own of course, but I'm glad I didn't refurb mine when I was trying to make the same decision.

You can refurb any time, you can't un-refurb....
    +1 Couldn't agree more ! I hope I'd made that clear to the OP in my previous posts.

Here are 2 7A38-7270's from my 7A38 collection (I have 'a few' more besides these )

The top one is my original 7A38 that I've owned for 20-odd years, and still has all it's (minor) accumulated wabi.
    Chip on the crystal at 9 o'clock and a few minor scratches + usual desk diver marks on the underside of the bracelet.
    The lower photo is another one I picked up cheaply a few months back - thanks to a 'heads up' from Bry. :wink:
    I've given this a complete cosmetic refurbishment without any qualms - because it wasn't my wabi.
    But I know which one I still prefer. :)

Don't even think about 'polishing the bracelet', if you're trying to get the watch back to original condition !!!
    The 7A38-7070 is supposed to have that matt frosted silvery coating (all over - except the polished case-back).
    In fact, if I had bought the OP's 7A38-7070 (or another in a similar used condition), and was considering refurbishing it ....
    What I'd probably do is mix up some matt silver paint, to exactly the same shade as the original, and airbrush the bracelet. ;)

Apprentice

The 7070 has gone off to Seiko Uk for a service and will probably send to Bry1975 for a tidy up of the bracelet when it comes back.

I think a new bezel insert as well, as the bezel is not really damaged. Not really a fab of wabi, a bit OCD at home so it would drive me mad looking at it !

Will post a pic or two when its all done.

Thanks for all the help :thumbright:

The 7070 has gone off to Seiko Uk for a service and will probably send to Bry1975 for a tidy up of the bracelet when it comes back.

Will post a pic or two when its all done.
    Still no photo(s) ? :?

Here's a couple more of my 7A38-7070's - they've been breeding. :D

The left and centre are both 100% original, but factory fitted with two different styles of hands ....
    The right hand one is a 'Franken' I built recently, fitted with a 7A38-7080 dial and 7A28-7040 hands:

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Hmmmm 7A38 and Wabi, I think I have just the photo...

In my opinion the 7A 2/3/48 are either the best or second best quartz chronograph ever made and as the competition is this:

that's no insult!

Quote Originally Posted by M4tt
    Hmmmm 7A38 and Wabi, I think I have just the photo...

Here's my wabi'd 7A38-7050 and 7A38-6020 (the stainless version):

In my opinion the 7A 2/3/48 are either the best xx xxxxxx best quartz chronograph ever made ....
    Seconded ! :D

In my opinion the 7A 2/3/48 are either the best xx xxxxxx best quartz chronograph ever made ....
    Seconded ! :D
    Thirded - the first quartz analogue chrono to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    Can you please restrict the width of any picture you post to not more than 500 pixels wide. Any wider than this and it affects the formatting of the page. Of course the formatting of the page is dependent on your screen resolution, 600 pixels is OK for 1024 x 768 but please no bigger.

Thank you,

Eddie
    With apologies for the slightly over-size photos.

The 500x375's which I'd posted earlier came from my Flickr account ....
    The newer images on this page were linked from my Photobucket, using their 1024x768 default setting. :roll:

Apprentice

Back from Seiko Uk, a service later £78.

Still cant decide if i like the wabi or not.......