closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: National No Smoking Day 2011

National No Smoking Day 2011

Hi,

Hope this post is going in the right section ? it is about watches - fingers crossed.

Now be gentle with the Newbie please ............. have been lurking for a little while but only joined today but thought it best just to leap in and lose my virginity straight away !.

Anyway, my story goes like this; gave up smoking exactly one year ago today (now I know National No Smoking Day was yesterday but I'm sure it was 10th March last year ?). Went on holiday to Fuerteventura last Easter and there just happened to be a Jewellers right next door to our hotel, tidy place, nice people and AD for some good watch brands Breitling, TAG, Rado etc. Somehow I managed to convince the wife that I realy needed an "incentive" to stay off the fags and miracuously she agreed. Ended up doing a very good deal (I think) on a TAG "Steve McQueen" something I had always wanted.

So the question is, as I have been good for a year and "paid off" the Monaco what should I get next ? working on the basis that a year's worth of "fag money" is about £2,000.

I know £2k isn't enough but I'm drawn to Panerai.

What would you get ?, look forward to your responses.

Cheers

[To avoid duplication I also have; TAG 2000 Series Auto Chronograph, Omega Seamaster Black Dial and Sword Hands, Rado Integral Chrono, Mickey Mouse, BMW, DKNY & Seiko]

Master

Re: National No Smoking Day 2011

Something from Rolex I would say.

A true gift to congratulate yourself.

"Something from Rolex I would say.
    A true gift to congratulate yourself."

Thanks al1991 for my first ever reply on this forum, good choice too but £2k ?, problem is Rolex wise I REALLY like the Daytona, it must be somthing to do with also liking cars as well anything that puts cars and watches together gets me hot !

Cheers anyway

Welcome aboard :D

Amazing how you save £££s not smoking eh, all those £6 packs soon add up to a tidy watch fund. Can't really suggest anything other than find what you really fancy before splashing put, even if it means waiting a while longer.

Buy the Daytona and don't smoke for another 3 years! Easy.
    It's just a matter of time...

Master
    Blog Entries

As a five plus years now ex smoker, i understand your thoughts. Firstly give yourself a huge pat on the back for giving it up :)

Personally i would keep your £2K until it was c£2.5K and then buy a pre owned Panerai base Logo which i'm confident you would enjoy. If you want to push the boat out, save a little more and buy a new one if it's to be a keeper 8)

I'm loving everyone's replies and whilst I never want to be a Nazi ex-smoker (after 30 years at it that would be real hypocrisy) it is true that £6 a pack is a sh!t load of money for a packet of fags. If anyone does want to quit though I would say the new patches are fantastic, no really no BS they do work and it ain't that bad. Mind you the Monaco was a huge incentive buying it early on meant I had to stay off them or the missus would have castrated me.

Only three years for a Daytona ....... I can do that.

Cheers All :)

Welcome and congrats. Wait an extra year and choose a decent used Rolex or Panerai.
    “Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Congratulations on giving it up! I've never smoked, but my mom gave up after 30 years as well, so I can appreciate what a challenge and commitment that is.

Lovely watch the Monaco. I'd go for something more toolish to compliment it, and within the budget I'd definitely get a Sinn or a Damasko, chronograph probably. They are real WIS watches and a nice addition to your more mainstream collection.

N 28 deg, 31' 18.4902 W80 deg 33' 40.035"

:twisted:

Well done on quitting and welcome to the forum. I'm another ex smoker and know how hard it is.

Since stopping smoking last year I have been rewarding myself with whisky so I think that you have the much better idea. I'd say continue enjoying the McQueen and wait to get the money for what you really want. In your shoes I'd choose a Tudor Snowflake sub though :)

Quote Originally Posted by dowsing
    Well done on quitting and welcome to the forum. I'm another ex smoker and know how hard it is.

Since stopping smoking last year I have been rewarding myself with whisky so I think that you have the much better idea. I'd say continue enjoying the McQueen and wait to get the money for what you really want. In your shoes I'd choose a Tudor Snowflake sub though :)
    Don't know what a Tudor Snowflake sub is but I will find out. I like whisky too ...... particularly "Gentleman Jack".

Cheers

Digger

Quote Originally Posted by lysanderxiii
    :twisted:

There was a time you could have tempted me with a Marlboro but not any more, you know they've killed more Cowboys than John Wayne :shock:

Digger

Quote Originally Posted by adigra
    Congratulations on giving it up! I've never smoked, but my mom gave up after 30 years as well, so I can appreciate what a challenge and commitment that is.

Lovely watch the Monaco. I'd go for something more toolish to compliment it, and within the budget I'd definitely get a Sinn or a Damasko, chronograph probably. They are real WIS watches and a nice addition to your more mainstream collection.
    Cheers Mate, like the look of the Damasko a little like an IWC Pilot ?.

Digger

If I had 2k to spare, I'd be after one of these or the aforementioned snowflake version...

Possibly with money left over for a cheapie too!

Quote Originally Posted by abooth2909
    If I had 2k to spare, I'd be after one of these or the aforementioned snowflake version...

Possibly with money left over for a cheapie too!
    Now that is fantastic, thanks for sharing.

Digger

Banned

I agree with something from Rolex - just not this! :twisted:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B
    I agree with something from Rolex - just not this! :twisted:
    Love it Josh B, love it ......... problem is by the time you hit 50 (just before in my case) you lose your bottle Mate :( I wish I hadn't but it's true.

Digger

Welcome OP.

As a smoker who obviously should give up, I too would choose to reward myself with a watch should I get past 12 months, so good for you and enjoy your watches!!

Regarding what watch, as you say cars and watches work for you and you already have the Monaco (great choice by the btw cars and watches works for me also and I have a Monaco) what about a Tudor Heritage Monte Carlo, 2k on sales corner on this fine site whould see you pick up a very lovely pre-owned example?

All the best mate.

Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms
    Welcome OP.

As a smoker who obviously should give up, I too would choose to reward myself with a watch should I get past 12 months, so good for you and enjoy your watches!!

Regarding what watch, as you say cars and watches work for you and you already have the Monaco (great choice by the btw cars and watches works for me also and I have a Monaco) what about a Tudor Heritage Monte Carlo, 2k on sales corner on this fine site whould see you pick up a very lovely pre-owned example?

All the best mate.
    Alas as a humble Newb I am prohibited as yet from the auspices of the sales board :( many thanks for the nice reply though all the same.

Digger

Quote Originally Posted by theoriginaldigger
    Quote Originally Posted by dustybottoms
    Welcome OP.

All the best mate.
    Alas as a humble Newb I am prohibited as yet from the auspices of the sales board :( many thanks for the nice reply though all the same.

Digger
    I now know what a Tudor Heritage Monte Carlo is and I like it, I like it a lot.

Cheers Fella

Digger

Glad to have helped. :D

Don't forget to post up photos on the new purchase whatever it may be.

Well done on the giving up :)

I've used the accumulation of watch money to drive my quitting for a couple of years now.

Truth is, I've only accumulated about £400 so far(which I gladly spent on a Stowa MA), so I've clearly not been successful every day

Having said that, buying the Stowa effectively for free was very sweet.

I'm on another quitting spree, and allowing myself to accrue £6.20 a day, as is the price these days, and if I make it, I'd probably add to it and get a base model PAM if I make a year

With £2K I'd consider a Zenith El Primero ... should be able to acquire one and get some change ... and maybe have enough left over to buy the missus a watch too.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Quote Originally Posted by sundial
    With £2K I'd consider a Zenith El Primero ... should be able to acquire one and get some change ... and maybe have enough left over to buy the missus a watch too.

dunk
    Thanks Dunk but I would probably avoid Zenith, my Brother had a horror story :evil: with a brand new AD purchased Defy Extreme which has put me off the brand for good I think.

Digger

dunk
    Thanks Dunk but I would probably avoid Zenith, my Brother had a horror story :evil: with a brand new AD purchased Defy Extreme which has put me off the brand for good I think.

Digger
    We'd all like to know more

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

dunk

Digger
    We'd all like to know more

dunk

It's a very, very long story dunk, my Bro lives in Brussels and bought the watch from AD there but as it happens he's home (in Wales) for a few weeks so I will get him to refresh my memory with all the gory details and post the details. I don't think I will be able to add any photos unfortunately as I saw he was wearing his Citizen Diver so Defy must be back in Brussels.

More of story to follow

Digger

Journeyman

Re: National No Smoking Day 2011------>

Congratulations on quitting. I'm off them for three years.

I recommend an Omega Speedmaster. Classic beauty.

Cheers and good luck whatever you choose… Joel M

Re: National No Smoking Day 2011------>

Quote Originally Posted by Joel M in New Jersey
    Congratulations on quitting. I'm off them for three years.

I recommend an Omega Speedmaster. Classic beauty.

Cheers and good luck whatever you choose… Joel M
    Thanks for that Joel M, you have to have been through it to appreciate it. I really like the Speedmaster .............. I'm just a sucker for chrono's :)

Journeyman

Re: National No Smoking Day 2011. You might consider this (pic)>

This is a go anywhere watch, and it's tough as nails. I wear one as an everyday watch for weeks/months at a time. Then I switch to something else for an extended period. That's my watch wearing agenda!

Joel M

Re: National No Smoking Day 2011. You might consider this (pic)>

Quote Originally Posted by Joel M in New Jersey
    This is a go anywhere watch, and it's tough as nails. I wear one as an everyday watch for weeks/months at a time. Then I switch to something else for an extended period. That's my watch wearing agenda!

Joel M
    I love that Seamaster Chrono of your's Jole M :) I have 3 chrono's but my only SMP is a watch not chrono the 2254 (only just mastered loading pics but I can't do it quick enough to get one on tonight).

Cheers

Digger

Banned

The best suggestion i can give is to put £5 a day into a jar and then every month or whenever move it into a dedicated savings account (best would be a 30 day notice thing) (as a smoker you know you would always find the cash for a pack.) By the time you get to 12 months you will have enough money for something fab but if you do it any other way the cash will probably just be subsumed into bills and other stuff. Then when you hit the 12 month target transfer it to a non=fixed account and keep a weather eye on SC. In the interim you'll have plenty time to decide what you want - and it will change many times between now and then!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B
    The best suggestion i can give is to put £5 a day into a jar and then every month or whenever move it into a dedicated savings account (best would be a 30 day notice thing) (as a smoker you know you would always find the cash for a pack.) By the time you get to 12 months you will have enough money for something fab but if you do it any other way the cash will probably just be subsumed into bills and other stuff. Then when you hit the 12 month target transfer it to a non=fixed account and keep a weather eye on SC. In the interim you'll have plenty time to decide what you want - and it will change many times between now and then!
    That's the kind of thing I had in mind, I don't just want the money going in to the general kitty, it was bloody hard giving up and I would like something nice out of it e.g. an IWC Big Pilot !!

Banned

I know it sounds like a bit of a hassle but trust me it will be worth it - I've lost count of how many Daytonas I could have bought with money that's been sucked into the general kitty with eff-all to show for it!