closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Omega Megaquartz F2.4Mhz, a dream come true

Master

Omega Megaquartz F2.4Mhz, a dream come true

Hi all

As many forum member who know me know, I am mad keen on Vintage Quartz watches from the early 70’s, especially Omegas. In my time collecting (about three years now) I have owned most variations of the wide range of quartz watches Omega produced during the period.

The 1970’s really was a time of revolution in watch making, the emergence of quartz was like the industrial revolution of the watch world, before the day of mass produced Asian (and Swiss) quartz movements. It was a time of massive change, the sky was the limit in terms of development and IMHO no Swiss company embraced this like Omega.

A quick scan of any of the 1970’s sales catalogues produced by the company (can be found at http://www.old-omegas.com ) will reveal the breadth and range of Omega creativity, they really were ground breaking! Fresh from the huge success of the ‘Moon Watch’ and cash rich, they invested huge sums of Money in R&D, working in partnership with 15 other Swiss companies to create the Beta21, the first Swiss production quartz movement launched in 1969 and used by such lofty names as Omega, Rolex, Patek to name but a few.

The thing quartz (at the time) brought to the marketplace was accuracy, even most modern chronometers vary by some 3-5 SPD, these early quartz watches varied by around 5 seconds per month!

In the 1970’s quartz watches where far from the cheaper more cost effective alternative they are perceived as today, they were in fact quite the opposite, early quartz were considerably more expensive than auto’s or manual winds and where very much the top f the range of the Swiss companies and the movements where like early steam engines, a cacophony of micro technology mixed brass main plates and gears and cogs working in union to drive the hands

At the same time Omega where working (with others) they where also working on a secret quartz project, investing monumental sums of money in the pursuit of the most accurate wrist watch ever, with a remit to create a watch with an accuracy of circa 1 second per month.

In 1970, at the Basel Fair Omega previewed the cal 1500 Elephant, a marvel of technology and a watch that had an accuracy of 1 second per month or 12 seconds per year!

This really was like wandering in to a car show and seeing a genuine working hover car, it was inconceivable to many at the time that a wristwatch could have accuracy like this! The prototype watch is on the top row left in a silver case with round dial:

Above is the best image I have ever been able to get of one of this first run of prototype watches

The original cal 1500 was produced in a rumored 5 examples, in a very distinctive case in either gold or silver. The movement (nicknamed the Elephant or Mickey Mouse because of the twin battery compartment) was the result of two years of development by some of the greatest minds in early quartz technology.

A year later it appeared on the market as the caliber 1510 and shortly after 1511 Marine Chronometer, boasting an accuracy of 1 second per month and cost the same as a very good family car, they where the absolutely top of the range of Omegas models, cost far in excessive of any of their other watches, including their other Electroquartz and Megaquartz 32Khz lines (which had an accuracy of 5 SPM)

When I first laid eyes on the 1510 version of these watches I was smitten, being a 70’s child I was enamored by the style of the watch, unlike the prototypes it was a huge rectangular case with integral SS or Shark skin (occasionally crocodile) bracelet, which is much more akin to the fashion of today!

The watch was available in a number of dial variations, most commonly and probably famously the ‘Stadust’ a deep blue dial with hand laid aventurine crystal, which shimmered, like the night sky when in sunlight! There were also a couple of other variations, the Puprite dial, an electric blue dial which again appeared almost metallic in sunlight and the waffle dial, a dark tone plain dial with a waffle print effect. Of the 1000 1510’s made between 100 and 200 where solid 18K gold, available in either Stardust or Puprite variations, with a price tag that at the time would buy you a new Porsche!

At the same time Omega produced the Marine Chronometer, running effectively the same movement but under cal 1511 but certified by the Beacon Institute as a Marine Chronometer, to this day the only wrist watch official hold this title, each watch being rigorously tested over a 6 week period and being certified with an accuracy of at least one second per month

I finally acquired my first 1510 about two years ago now, the watch went to Omega official vintage restorer in the UK (http://www.swisstimeservices.com) who are the only company (including Omega) who still service and warranty these watches, after 8 weeks and an (at the time) mind bending service bill of over £500 this beauty came back to me:

And, as they say; ‘so it began’

In the last three years I have owned over ten of these special watches, I have also added to my collection a completely mint cal 1511 Marine Chronometer (again only 1000 where made) a watch that really was a destiny purchase, originally sold at Nidds and Sons of Grimsby (my home town and the shop I purchased my first Omega from, a quartz Bond when I was 21) on the 19th of July 1977, the day I was born, here she is in all of her post STS serviced glory:

I have long hankered after getting a full set of these watches, I owned a Puprite a few years ago and stupidly sold it, but then about a month ago lady luck shined, firstly from our very own Victor Boyd, who sold me his very original Waffle dial the same day as I managed to purchase a virtually crack free NOS dial (these dial are notorious for cracking very badly), fresh back from a complete service and overhaul at STS I am really pleased; it is a more understated and I guess wearable version of the Stardust, and the only one i have personally seen that didn't have a badly damaged dial:

Then a few weeks later another Puprite dial fell in to my lap, she’s at STS as we speak having a complete spa treatment and I am sure the results will be stunning, this really is the rarest production variation of these watches and other than the one I have already owned I know of only one other, owned by a fellow forum member Toshi

With these recent new purchases under my belt and my collection growing I set my sights on an 18K Stardust (other than the seven 18K Marine Chronometers, of which not even the museum has one) was the only model I now didn’t own! I was just about to fire a fellow forum member who I knew had one a begging email when I came across genuinely my holy grail on ebay!

At first I didn’t believe my eyes, I thought it must be a scam as there was simply no way on earth it could be for sale! It as one of the five cal 1500 prototypes, presented in a gold case and for sale in Switzerland by a seller I had already dealt with over another Prototype Omega Hard metal I had bought a few weeks earlier!

I fired him and email and after a lot of back and forth he confirmed to me he had bought the watch and my earlier prototype as well as some other parts from Jean Girrad-Othenin, the man who was responsible for the development of the cal 1500 and later 1510, 1511 and the later 1515 and 1516 models.

The watch was listed as an auction and I made the commitment in my mind to go for it! After a few fellow forum members (you know who you are) graciously agreed to step back and give me a shot I put a bid of the maximum I could afford to spend and waited for the auction to end, I don’t think I have ever been so anxious about a watch purchase in my life!

I had no delusions I would win the watch I fully anticipated it to go far beyond what I could afford and had every expectation that there was a likely hood Omega would step in and buy it for the museum as they only have a silver version in their display

The day of the end of the auction came; I was at home with my folks helping my dad (who’s recently had a stroke) clear out the room in the roof! I resigned myself to not watching the auction end, I gave my laptop to my wife Esther with the instruction to let me nowhere near it and got on with the task in hand!

After 6 trips to the tip, 7 trips to the charity shop I staggered out of the roof about 9:00pm, I sat down in the lounge and opened my laptop, logged on to ebay and with a heavy heart prepared myself for disappointment………………….

My ebay loaded and I scrolled down to won, clicked the button and at the top of the listing was this:

One of five Omega cal 1500 Elephant prototypes ever made and probably most significant (to me) watch purchase I will ever make, not only that but it came with two spare cases, one gold and one silver

The watch is running perfectly when off the wrist, loosing a little time when worn so is likely in need of a service, but for now I am just enjoying owning what for me is the icon of watch making history

I guess the moral to the story is that (for me at least) WIS dreams really do come true:

Blog Entries

Re: Omega Megaquartz F2.4Mhz, a dream come true

Nice one mate..

I always love reading about people who are into different genres of watches than myself.. and found this a most interesting read.

Nice to read of your collection growing, and good photographs to boot.

Greg. :)

Bloody great stuff, well done m8....you can now sit back, relax and be truly happy... :D

Master

Well done indeed! :shock: :drunken:

I hope you'll wear it outside the house too, to let others enjoy a glimpse of it now and then 8)

Fantastic Tom, really pleased for you (and hope your old man is holding up fine).

This is unbelievable:

Quote Originally Posted by dickstar1977
    originally sold at Nidds and Sons of Grimsby (my home town and the shop I purchased my first Omega from, a quartz Bond when I was 21) on the 19th of July 1977, the day I was born
    That really is spooky! :D :lol: :D

Great catch, Tom, and what an interesting case (and not just one but three of them :shock: )

......and I bet even Tony doesn't have one of these :wink:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    Fantastic Tom, really pleased for you (and hope your old man is holding up fine).

This is unbelievable:

originally sold at Nidds and Sons of Grimsby (my home town and the shop I purchased my first Omega from, a quartz Bond when I was 21) on the 19th of July 1977, the day I was born
    That really is spooky! :D :lol: :D
    Thanks chaps

David, tell me about it, I have a very faded receipt for the watch from July 19 1977, sadly Nidds is no longer and Omega dealer and couldn't provide me with any more information on it, it was odd as it is a 1511 not a 1516 (later models) but I do also know of someone who bought a 1511 new in 1981, I guess at that price they weren't big sellers!

Cheers Tom

Brilliant story Tom, thouroughly enjoyed reading your post - great find :thumbleft:

A superb post Tom, I always enjoy your posts re this very interesting time in Omega's history

Journeyman

Congratulations,

That's an awesome watch for an Omega collector.

Must be great to know that you have one of only five, fantastic.

I also had it in my watch list, and was very curious to see where the price would end up.

Have you ever had your hands on one of those Ti Ploprofs?

That has to be top of my "Most Wanted But Never Likely To Find" list!

Cheers Chris

Craftsman

Wow Tom, Wow!

Congratulations on a monumental addition to your collection, that really is special. I was wondering what was coming after your sales the other week but wasnt expecting that! Increadable.

Would love to see more shots, especially the crown and caseback. Love the case design which appears like nothing else, but also the hands which are totaly unique. How big does it compare to its children?

The fact it comes with 2 spare cases really does just top it off. :D

Are you going to have any work done on it or keep it as is?

I guess this meens you really still do need the 18K Stardust to complete the collection though :lol:

Master

Really good post: interesting and informative. Thank you very much.

Now, a question. What's the insurance premium on this bunch? Because the longer you keep 'em, especially that last 1-of-5 one, the more they're going to be worth, to the point that they're going to be worth a lot.

Journeyman

What a fantastic write-up coupled with an equally fantastic collection. Your collection is undoubtedly museum worthy.

It's stories like this that inspire me to save the pennies and spend countless hours, days, months or even years looking for that one "grail watch". I'm only 18 years of age myself, so starting to collect watches is a rather hard task and requires countless hours of work; but this in many ways is the appeal of watch collecting. A grail watch is not referred to as a "grail" for no reason; it must be earned. It takes time and effort to find, but when you do find that watch; it is an incredibly rewarding experience.

My personal "Grail Watch" is the original Omega Speedmaster "Moon Watch" from 1968. At this moment in time I would never be able to afford the watch, but like I mentioned earlier a good watch must be earned; so for now i'll keep working on my own career, so maybe one day, I might just own my very own "Grail Watch".

Top stuff, Tom. Congratulations!

Master

Brilliant Article A+++

A very nice article and nice pictures, thank you for sharing.

Master

Wonderful Tom ,

That is a fantastic piece .. I love the MQ`s too .

Hope your Dad is doing much better ,

All the best mate ,

Vic :)

Congrats, amazing watch.

Probably could've saved a few quid by "sniping"the auction though instead of showing your hand days in advance :wink:

Banned
    Blog Entries

I guess the moral to the story is that (for me at least) WIS dreams really do come true:
    Dick; ¡ CON GRA TU LA TIONS !

That is an important piece of horlogic history.

All in all the most amazing is that such a wonderfull collection illustrates how underappreciated and undervalued this increadible period of hologic history is. You have cutting edge technology made by the most highly skilled people there.
    Your gain :mrgreen:
    Thank you for sharing the experience.

You would please me to no end with some more photos of the elephant and its movement but... very happy with what you have already shared.

Petrus

Master

Thanks guys

Huertecilla, movement shots to follow, I had the case back off last night and the movement is amazing, and massive! Interestingly unlike the two prototypes I have already seen which had battery covers, this one no cover but a contact which touches the case and completes the circuit, making the watch work, when the case back is removed the watch stops, so this is obviously a third type of this the first prototype movement.

Having timed it over night it has not skipped a beat against the other MQ2.4 Mhz, I suspect the time loosing when worn could have something to do with the contact with the case back!

I will get some more detailed pics over the next couple of days and get them uploaded

Cheers Tom

I really enjoyed the write up and I'm delighted for you. Congrats! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

So glad you got it mate, well done :)

So now you've attained your dream does that mean you'll be putting your feet up and giving the rest of us a chance :wink: :lol:

Looking forward to seeing some movement pics too.

Cheers,
    Gary

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omegary
    So glad you got it mate, well done :)

So now you've attained your dream does that mean you'll be putting your feet up and giving the rest of us a chance :wink: :lol:

Looking forward to seeing some movement pics too.

Cheers,
    Gary
    Hi mate

Well, the second I manage to get my hands on another certain proto one of our forum friends in Aus owns and then add an 18K Stardust and and 18K Marine Chronometer, you have my word I will hang up my boot for a while (I will need to because I will be skint)

I will bring it with me when we get over to KT's next, got to say mate it is extremely impressive and massive to book, the case is shaped around the wrist which I didn't expect and wears almost the same as the Bullhead Chronograph!

Cheers Tom

Look forward to seeing it in the metal mate :)

Cheers,
    Gary

P.S. I don't rate your chances with our antipodean friend though.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I suspect the time loosing when worn could have something to do with the contact with the case back!
    Could be but not likely Tom.

The electrics/electronics are not thát sensitive to battery Voltage.
    The bit that manages the quartz cristal is not directy on the battery.

It is more probable that the performance needs adjustment because the quartz cristal itself has aged.

Blog Entries

Absolutely great post.
    Very interesting info and pics.

A very different ballgame to the mechanical pieces :)

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    I suspect the time loosing when worn could have something to do with the contact with the case back!
    Could be but not likely Tom.

The electrics/electronics are not thát sensitive to battery Voltage.
    The bit that manages the quartz cristal is not directy on the battery.

It is more probable that the performance needs adjustment because the quartz cristal itself has aged.
    Hey Huertecilla

I had considered that, however, it is running bang on time when not worn, in my experience with these if the quartz was out of tolerance it would not be doing this! I think more likely is the motor unit and hopefully it just needing a good service, although I don't know if even STS would be willing to touch it as it has no actual parts in common with any other movement!

TBH the time keeping is not important to me with this piece, the fact it is still working 42 years after it was made as a prototype is a miracle!

I am simply amazed with the piece and am thrilled I managed to snag it

Cheers Tom

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    A very different ballgame to the mechanical pieces :)
    Totally different league yes.

These ones are analogues so still pretty much the same ´ballgame´ but that is beside the point.

Tom owns some playing the different gáme too :wink:

Bottom line is that whatever the technology; cutting egde is cutting egde and he has got himself a prototype that was cutting at that very edge.
    Detailed shots of the engine will be educational about the technology as well as illustrating the skills of the engineers and crafstmen involved.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I had considered that, however, it is running bang on time when not worn, in my experience with these if the quartz was out of tolerance it would not be doing this!
    When worn the watch is in gereral warmer than when not.
    So yes it would, unless it is temperature compensated.
    Even then it depends on how as an aged analogue resistor could be enlarging rather than compensating the issue.

I think you have the priorities right about that.
    It is a :shock: thnin.
    The technology, the prototype, that it still exists, stilll functions that well, that you have been able to get it.
    All :shock:

p.s. I am going to try make a half decent photo of two modern queartz watches with an illustration of the block scme of how they work.
    I a seperate thread so as not to tkae ány light away form this one that really deserves even more than a watch thread.
    Do you have site where you could show it to the world with some background and info on it´s technology and solutions?

Look forward to seeing it in the flesh Tom, when you visit next.

Bring a spare case as well, we can test the other movement theory.

K

Master

I keep coming back to look at the pics.. For the first time in about 2 years, it seems I'm very jealous of someone else's watch :shock:

And I've promised to myself that I won't buy watches from the 'bay...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vaizki
    I keep coming back to look at the pics.. For the first time in about 2 years, it seems I'm very jealous of someone else's watch :shock:
    I would lóve to own it too but realistaclly I am not the best suited as it would thus be hidden in an old farm in the mountains as I only leave my local life for conferences about specific areas of archeology.
    I think it has arrived at the best place it can be.
    In a museum, or worse the Omega museum, it would be submissive to the agenda of what is on display . With TOM it´s existance will be shared :bounce:

nice photos :)

Very nice catch. My first "proper" watch was an Omega cone seamaster ( yes I was very tempted by the NOS head that was recently for sale) which has survived a variety of traumas over the years and is still humming along. Yours though...! Hope your old man is doing ok.

Well done Tom.

Interesting write up and great to see someone achieve something of a grail.

A real grail I mean, not just something you can walk into a shop and buy. :D
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Master

Thanks guys

Yep, I must admit I am smitten, when I first saw the proto I loved the design but resigned myself to never owning one and if I was lucky maybe seeing it in Bienne someday! I remember seeing pics of this and the prototype SM1000 MQ32Khz and just thinking 'wow'

Anyway, here are some movement shots, will get some better ones later in the week:

Totally different from the production 1510:

The quartz on the proto looks much bigger than the production watch, likewise the lay out is totally different and the production model was driven by only one battery!

Pretty cool though :D

Cheers Tom

Master

Interestingly I also got two IC's mounted in to mainplates, they neither appear in the production watch or the prototype, they are the gold chips visible in the images but mounted in to silver mainplates with longer arms! Will post some images tomorrow

Cheers Tom

Beautiful handset. Ugly looking case tho.

john
    "Owning one is almost as satisfying as making one." ~ Rolex 1973

:D That is so amazing and such an important piece of Omega history, If you ever get the chance to a wrist shot in the Omega museum with theirs in the background would be a very cool thing to do. :lol:

Tom, really chuffed to see the pics of this one mate, a really great catch and so nice to see it go to someone who will adore it. :)

What is interesting is that you can see the evolution from your elephant through my proto to the production watches. ie the long movt needing a rectangular case yet there is a round dial as that must have been what was thought to be needed, so you get a part round and part rectangle case on the ele, through the full rectangular case with a round dial of mine to the all rectangular shapes of the production watch. All very interesting indeed. Of course we dont know (and never really will know) if that was the timeline, but it does seem most sensible, given the movt types, designs etc

Its interesting the backs on the elephant and stamped, i guess they were done by a case manufacturer rather than in house, although I ant seen any makers marks as such. The reason that I say that as my proto 1510 has no stamping at all and has obviously been milled from billet etc. Differently done, and perhaps done as a mock up at HQ to see what the design was like ASAP etc.

All in all, youre gathering a superb collection of these beauties mate, and yes Im well happy about that. These watches have languished in the doldrums for too long, they were and are, some of the most accurate and sexy watches ever made to my mind, thanks for sharing! :)

Great story, Tom, and great catch :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonW
    Tom, really chuffed to see the pics of this one mate, a really great catch and so nice to see it go to someone who will adore it. :)

What is interesting is that you can see the evolution from your elephant through my proto to the production watches. ie the long movt needing a rectangular case yet there is a round dial as that must have been what was thought to be needed, so you get a part round and part rectangle case on the ele, through the full rectangular case with a round dial of mine to the all rectangular shapes of the production watch. All very interesting indeed. Of course we dont know (and never really will know) if that was the timeline, but it does seem most sensible, given the movt types, designs etc

Its interesting the backs on the elephant and stamped, i guess they were done by a case manufacturer rather than in house, although I ant seen any makers marks as such. The reason that I say that as my proto 1510 has no stamping at all and has obviously been milled from billet etc. Differently done, and perhaps done as a mock up at HQ to see what the design was like ASAP etc.

All in all, youre gathering a superb collection of these beauties mate, and yes Im well happy about that. These watches have languished in the doldrums for too long, they were and are, some of the most accurate and sexy watches ever made to my mind, thanks for sharing! :)
    Cheers mate

I took it in to STS yesterday and spent about an hour looking at it properly, after a lengthy conversation with their in house expert on these we both came to the conclusion that there is a possibility that they may well have been planning a production run, the movement in this one is the number two prototype style and as STS indicated, the sheer detail in terms of movement stamping a 0000 serial, mixed with the case and spare cases indicates it may well have been nearing production ready before they changed tack and redesigned to the 1510 and then as you say Jon the alternative cases!

Whilst there it went on the delta/ali tester (to measuring quartz accuracy) and I was disappointed to see it was running at 0.014 SPD, the same as my serviced Stardust or in laymans terms around 1SPM :D The time keeping issue is down to a loose second hand, but I am not going to get bent out of shape about it at the moment, just enjoy it and make the most of owning something so special and to me so significant in terms of watch making history!

Interestingly it has a split stem which according to STS indicates they may have considered a front loading case originally, also that it doesn't have a trimmer but does have a magnetic hour setter meaning the hours can be adjusted independently (like the production model)

I am going to get some more pics over the weekend so watch this space

Cheers Tom

Ok, enough is enough. I am going to say what I think. Tom, you are a lucky b*****D and I am jealous :evil: :wink: .

Master

Quote Originally Posted by angeche
    Ok, enough is enough. I am going to say what I think. Tom, you are a lucky b*****D and I am jealous :evil: :wink: .
    :D :D :D thanks mate! It has taken a long time to build up the pieces I have, even with some great connections but I get a lot of joy sharing them with the community :wink:

Very informative and great pics, thanks for this post

Master

Lots of people have asked me for more pics and particulary a wrist shot

So here they are:

Will get some movement pics properly when I dare take the case back off again :D

Cheers Tom

Master

Congrats Tom.

That is a very unusual looking piece. I bet it weighs a ton!

Journeyman

That is one chunky beast but uber cool. Respect.

Great piece of history, thanks for sharing, ticking second like on the 151x or sweeping like on the Beta21/1301 ?

As a sidenote, what is that 18k OMC you were referring to? I've seen an OMC without the usual 14k YG bezel, not sure if it's 18k White Gold or SS though.

Master

Webvan

Omega made between 7 and 10 18K yellow gold (with white gold bezel) Omega Marine Chronometers as 1516 models, I knew of one for sale in Switzerland a couple of years back for around £10K! They where all produced at Fontana in Italy, on the same line as the normal cases, I can't find the reason for the production but there is a picture of one in Journey through time, I will get a snap!

Cheers Tom

Quote Originally Posted by JonW

Cheers mate

I took it in to STS yesterday and spent about an hour looking at it properly, after a lengthy conversation with their in house expert on these we both came to the conclusion that there is a possibility that they may well have been planning a production run, the movement in this one is the number two prototype style and as STS indicated, the sheer detail in terms of movement stamping a 0000 serial, mixed with the case and spare cases indicates it may well have been nearing production ready before they changed tack and redesigned to the 1510 and then as you say Jon the alternative cases!

Whilst there it went on the delta/ali tester (to measuring quartz accuracy) and I was disappointed to see it was running at 0.014 SPD, the same as my serviced Stardust or in laymans terms around 1SPM :D The time keeping issue is down to a loose second hand, but I am not going to get bent out of shape about it at the moment, just enjoy it and make the most of owning something so special and to me so significant in terms of watch making history!

Interestingly it has a split stem which according to STS indicates they may have considered a front loading case originally, also that it doesn't have a trimmer but does have a magnetic hour setter meaning the hours can be adjusted independently (like the production model)

I am going to get some more pics over the weekend so watch this space

Cheers Tom
    Sounds most sensible to me mate, I reckon this was one of those times when they had a new movt and were all ready to go on the watch and usually would have just 'made it', but then perhaps something in the movt wasnt right, maybe some component was NLA or problematical or even they just moved the technology on faster than the production guys were going and so they had a rethink, at the same time they also redid the cases, perhaps just because they could or perhaps someone suggested it was too big or the wrong shape. Of course they also could have just been 'playing and showing off' (LOL)and wanted to showcase the new technology round the world and so had a few proto cases done by a case supplier instead of doing them in house, which would make sense, why tool up to do a few yourself if you dont have to or have the resources etc.

Hee hee, well accuracy aside its interesting to know how much of the design did make it into the 1510 from the 1500, cool that the traveller feature was conceived right back at the start. Interesting on the split stem, that could well mean that the movt was designed to be fitted into all sorts of cases from the range available at the time... of course that means it could have been potentially fitted to a ploprof case.... oh my giddy aunt... a MQ 2.4 Diver would have been nice... We all know they experimented with a MQ 32 as a 1000m, but that pales compared to a 2.4... oh well, of course a front loading case is always poor form with a battery watch as you have too much work to do once a year to change the battery, but I still like the idea for other reasons... LOL