closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Show us your Rolex Stardust Dials

Show us your Rolex Stardust Dials

In the process of nearly selling my Sea Dweller 16660 it would appear that 1984-1985 was a good year for Rolex "Stardust" dials so I thought it would be interesting to see how many of these "faulty" dials with oxidised dial lacquer were out there.

Don't be shy folks, show us your pics!

“Don’t look back, you’re not heading that way.”

Re: Show us your Rolex Stardust Dials

It really is beyond me that people like the fact that a watch has gone rusty!
    I know I am in the minority and a lot of people do, but why? The same goes for worn out lume and discoloured bezels.

Quote Originally Posted by london lad
    I know I am in the minority and a lot of people do, but why? The same goes for worn out lume and discoloured bezels.
    Imperfection has far greater beauty IMHO.

Wabi-sabi - represents a comprehensive Japanese world view or aesthetic centered on the acceptance of transience. The aesthetic is sometimes described as one of beauty that is "imperfect, impermanent and incomplete".

This particular dial has taken 26 years to evolve which for me makes it all the little bit more special. But then again I prefer imperfection which in this day and age makes me a minority no doubt.

I can understand that view when it comes to art, luggage, furniture or even decoration that has mellowed with age but a watch is supposed to be a precision instrument and in the case of a sub or SD, a sealed precision instrument, it just doesn't seem right to me that it should rust or fade. That's just my opinion of course :-)

Grand Master

Whilst I can accept the concept of 'ageing' and genuine patina, there is a fine dividing line between gentle ageing and worn/knackered IMO. One man's 'Wabi' is another mans 'tatty'.

In this case the ageing effect on the dial is well-documented and perceived by some as desirable by virtue of its rarity. However, I personally don`t see the attraction, the darkening of the lume is fine but the deterioration of the dial is not a virtue to me. Had I owned one of these in the distant past I would've been banging on the AD's door for a replacement dial.

Maybe I`m a philistine. There seems to be a separate type of mystique around vintage Rolex sports watches (metres first....red writing..military issue...oval/round Os...etc). All a bit anal IMO.

Paul

Master

I sent mine back to Rolex. They returned it with a note saying 'Hey, wabi sabi.' So now I'm happy with it :)

Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock
    In the process of nearly selling my Sea Dweller 16660 it would appear that 1984-1985 was a good year for Rolex "Stardust" dials so I thought it would be interesting to see how many of these "faulty" dials with oxidised dial lacquer were out there.

Don't be shy folks, show us your pics!

Truly beautiful :drunken: .

Master

Have to say i'm in agreement with you but I do understand the concept. It's like those stamps that had the airplane printed upside down, adds to the rarity i guess. Right, I'm gonna take a chisel to the ceramix bezel of my GMT-IIC and see if i can increase it's value!! :D

I can understand that view when it comes to art, luggage, furniture or even decoration that has mellowed with age but a watch is supposed to be a precision instrument and in the case of a sub or SD, a sealed precision instrument, it just doesn't seem right to me that it should rust or fade. That's just my opinion of course :-)
    I agree to an extent. Patina in watches that change shade or fade over time I really like but I class 'stardust', 'spiderweb' and any knackered dial that now gets classed as 'tropical' (true faded tropicals excepted) as really just faulty dials that are probably going to degenerate further over time.

That said, each to their own, would be boring if we all liked the same thing :D

Quote Originally Posted by 964RS
    These dials do have the "Marmite Affect" for sure! :D

Would be interested to see similar dials from the same period and to see if they have all reacted in the same way? I know andybee33 has a GMT 16760 Fat Lady from the same time period which he stated on my original sales post has the same effect so hopefully he will post some pics on here too.

It's just a very strange reaction that has taken place on these dials which doesn't really relate to rust IMHO and would be interested to see if there are any more. I'm guessing this is very much a Rolex transitional issue when they decided to shake things up a bit and experiment with new materials or finishing procedures.

Will be interesting to see what else is out there.

How about a Constellation. Not the same extent, but similar process I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by carryondentist
    How about a Constellation. Not the same extent, but similar process I expect.
    Superb! Makes this Omega aptly named :lol:

Master

Theres nice, even patina, and then theres water/moisture damage... that SD looks horrible, and nothing like "stardust"... Just another gimmick to try and increase value on certain pieces imho.

Also not a good sign that theres been water in the watch... what else might be damaged?

Would be interested to see similar dials from the same period and to see if they have all reacted in the same way? I know andybee33 has a GMT 16760 Fat Lady from the same time period which he stated on my original sales post has the same effect so hopefully he will post some pics on here too.

It's just a very strange reaction that has taken place on these dials which doesn't really relate to rust IMHO and would be interested to see if there are any more. I'm guessing this is very much a Rolex transitional issue when they decided to shake things up a bit and experiment with new materials or finishing procedures.

Tudor dials have had issues in the past.

Here is one (not a great close up, but you see the effect).

For me this is a matter of taste and disposable income.

Would I buy one with this effect on the dial? - Probably a , I am no way a perfectionist, but I limit my watch expenditure these days and have been burned by some of the Roles 'issues' in the past.

Are they suitably rare to be of interest - Hell, yes!
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

I love snowy dials, here's a 45 year old one :)

The reason I assumed that the marks were rust was that you mentioned oxidization and you can see the same marks on the hands.... as has been said above, each to his own.

The reason I assumed that the marks were rust was that you mentioned oxidization and you can see the same marks on the hands.... as has been said above, each to his own.
    TBH I don't know if it 's a dodgy dial phenomenon, rust oxidation or water damage etc. Would be interested to see andybee33 Fat Lady as this is from the same period which I'm told has the same dial.

Master

Hi - here are some not-very-good pics of the stardust dial on my GMT 16760 Fat Lady - one of the dial and hand set and two of the watch itself:

I think it adds loads of character personally.

Also, can anyone spot the error on the dial?? :)

Quote Originally Posted by andybee33
    Hi - here are some not-very-good pics of the stardust dial on my GMT 16760 Fat Lady - one of the dial and hand set and two of the watch itself:

Thanks for the photos. It's a perfect dial match! A problem relating to the dial finish / lacquer I would guess as they are both from the same period 1984-1985. Will be interesting to see if any more materialise.

Master

It's gone funny.
    HTH

is there a prize or anything? :lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Mi Shu

It's gone funny.
    HTH

is there a prize or anything? :lol:
    Yeah - there's a prize but you didn't win it :)

Master

Does it say <20 instead of 25 in the Tritium reference? I can't see properly as I'm on the iPhone.

A "stardust" dial is a nice way to bring a little individuality to a very generic Rolex, but the split reactions in this thread are the exact reason I wouldn't pay a premium for one if there was any chance of having to/wanting to sell in future.

Master

I can appreciate the nice yellowed patina of a tritium dial or a faded pinkish pepsi bezel but not these "stardust" dials. Looks pimply and unattractive to me like a face covered in acne.

Still as others have said if you enjoy these details thats all that matters but its not for me.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    Does it say <20 instead of 25 in the Tritium reference? I can't see properly as I'm on the iPhone.

A "stardust" dial is a nice way to bring a little individuality to a very generic Rolex, but the split reactions in this thread are the exact reason I wouldn't pay a premium for one if there was any chance of having to/wanting to sell in future.
    Gosh - do they have ones that say <20 in the Tritium ref too? Crikey, need to get some glasses for the QC guy :) The mistake was more obvious than that - it's got a date (obviously, being a GMT Master) but the subscript under Rolex says 'Oyster Perpetual' and not 'Oyster Perpetual Date'. As I understand it, the first batch of 16760 dials had this error (as well as crap paint!) and then they sorted it with later batches.

You learn something new every day :-)

Here is a couple of my crappy dials - personally I love them and without these dials we would just have a monoculture of watches - viva la difference as each one is totally unique.

What makes these dial rare is that Rolex replaced many of them as part of the service hence triple 6's ended up with 16600 dials.

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Now that SD looks different to all the others dials we have seen in this thread?

+1 , I also don't get the popularity of old lume that is no longer luminous. :?

Master

My favourite rolex non-sports model in the collection.
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire
    +1 , I also don't get the popularity of old lume that is no longer luminous. :?
    Although some people rave on about bright lume (I have a couple of really bright ones) and muck about with torches etc for pics :lol: in reality we are never usually in a place where there is no available light and as you usually look at your watch a lot more during daylight hours I personally would always prefer lovely patinated creamy lume markers to very effective boring looking new white ones.

YMMV.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

On the subject of "faulty" dials I would add that I have had a couple of '70's Omega Constellations that are well known for their "individuality"

The green and blue enamel type dials on '70's square Connies usually all exhibit a surface cracking which varies from just a corner to all over the complete dial.

The round blue dial versions of the white gold coin edge bezel models also exhibit the "stardust" effect similar to the ones shown on the Sub.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

My Speedmaster website:

http://www.freewebs.com/neil271052

Do not get the Spider Dials as well - adds a whole new look to a watch.

For those who do not like creamy, non-working indexes, cracked or faded dials the answer is simple - do not buy them - simples :D

In which case please send all your Paul Newmans, Cream 16550's, Mil-Subs, Vintage BPFF, etc to me - where they will be loved and looked after. :wink:

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Enjoyed reading this post.
    Now i understand what 'stardust' and 'spider' dials mean! Gotcha!

FMF

I love the look of that Submariner Dial!

To be honest, that dial does look great! :D

Thats a very festive dial in my opinion, a seasonal watch lol :D

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry
    I love snowy dials, here's a 45 year old one :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK
    Tudor dials have had issues in the past.

Here is one (not a great close up, but you see the effect).

For me this is a matter of taste and disposable income.

Would I buy one with this effect on the dial? - Probably a , I am no way a perfectionist, but I limit my watch expenditure these days and have been burned by some of the Roles 'issues' in the past.

Are they suitably rare to be of interest - Hell, yes!
    There are a few years production of the Tudor Snowflakes that resulted in dials that deteriorated very badly and are IMO beyond the pale - can't quite recall if they have a name - "Rhino" or "Lumpy" springs to mind. I don't think these dials are marketed as desireable or sought after though, probably the opposite. I can see why the effect found on Rolex spiderweb and to a lesser extent stardust dials could be thought as attractive. Wouldn't particulary go for one myself but beauty is in the eye of the beholder etc....

Craftsman

I agree completly!

"Star Rust" is more like it :roll: - for true "stardust" - nothing comes close to an Omega 1510.

Show us your Rolex Stardust Dials

I like the look of them.

Wouldn't spend £3k on one though.

spider dial is a step to far. Time for a new dial!

Craftsman

I do like a bit of Wabi but for me these dials are just a celebration of poor quality control which must me something to avoid in a £4k watch.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    On the subject of "faulty" dials I would add that I have had a couple of '70's Omega Constellations that are well known for their "individuality"

The green and blue enamel type dials on '70's square Connies usually all exhibit a surface cracking which varies from just a corner to all over the complete dial.

The round blue dial versions of the white gold coin edge bezel models also exhibit the "stardust" effect similar to the ones shown on the Sub.
    I always assumed these were refinished dials that had deteriorated...looks like I was wrong :)

No appeal for me, I don`t mind slightly aged dials......but not these.

Paul

Morning!

Thought I’d resurrect an old thread as it’s raining cats and dogs! Any more rusty old dials out there..? ;@)

Apprentice

Question

Hi guys,

does this Oysterquartz look like it has a Stardust dial?

https://www.chrono24.de/rolex/rolex-...id20146204.htm

Thanks

Master
    I think so. Doubt it would have left the factory like that.

I must say I do like the character that this effect bestows on a watch dial, but does it stop there? Or just keep eating the dial until it's knackered?

Not easy to catch but here my fat lady

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I personally like the effect, I understand those who dont though. I appreciate the time taken to display a unique chsraheter very specific and individual to that watch and the owner.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Nothing like a bit of imperfection when it comes to a Rolex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk