timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rolex Seadweller Deepsea Review

Grand Master

Rolex Seadweller Deepsea Review

THE BOX

Slightly bigger than the standard

but fairly standard in terms of bit & bobs including warranty card, booklet, hangtags, & guarantee

THE CASE

Its big! But its not Big! Yes it is bigger than you are used to and because you compare it to the previous it is bigger but it wears no bigger than most Panerai standard cases. The lugs are bigger again than the old classic SD obviously and measure 21mm so a 22mm NATO would be the best option rather than a 20mm with a gap. A titanium caseback held in pace with a Stainless Steel ring and including the crystal it measures 17mm thick.

I find that the case back is flatter than the Seadweller and as a result it sits better on the wrist. A big fat Rolex Crown sits proportionally well between the protectors. One thing that is nice is that the titanium rear has a brushed finish and when leaving the watch on the side and the bracelet rubbing on the rear of the watch it has picked up no scratches, all my other Rolex have got scratches on the rear inside a week which progressively get worse. I used to leave the sticker on to try and prevent this but now there is no need. Finally the case is finished with a Stainless Steel helium escape valve rather than titanium as found on the Seadweller.

THE DIAL AND CRYSTAL.

Perfection personified, smooth matte just like the 1680 & 1665 Seadwellers of the past with a slight grain to it which stops light reflecting on off it which I dislike on the glossy dials. Then theres that dreamy blue lume that glows all night long.

Now when I looked at the original pictures and all the pictures I have taken it appears that the ‘Original Gas Escape Valve’ & ‘Ring Lock System’ are written in letters 10ft high and flashing. The reality is that when you own and wear the watch you genuinely do not notice the wording unless you look for it. But when you do look you see a true tool watch, that domed crystal, a throw back to the 1962 original Seadwellers is 5.5mm thick and looks like it could take a sledgehammer but doesn’t distort the dial or reading of it, the curvature is subtle but amazing.

THE BEZEL

Ive had a ceramic dial for 3 years so I am used to the new style and have been very happy with it, they are bombproof and near impossible to damage, it is neither too glossy or too matte but its when you turn it that you truly appreciate it.

The GMTIIC is nice but it has 24 thick clicks whereas the Deepsea has 120 precision clicks and it is so solid that it literally buzzes as you turn it, no tinny sound just silk smooth precision rotation. Then it has iced its cake with a well placed ‘pip’ at 12 O’Clock.

THE BRACELET

Starting from 21mm between the lugs and tapering to 17mm at the clasp the bracelet is solid and brushed, it makes the previous bracelets feel very tinny and cheap but it is the clasp and glidelock that are a work of art, having that reassuring snap and lock coupled with the ability to change the bracelet in mm increments in seconds is just brilliant. The watch originally had a divers clasp but I made the decision that I wouldn’t require it and if I did wear it over a wetsuit I could get enough from the glidelock. Without the divers clasp I found it was a nicer more appropriate fit for my wrist. I have added an article in the mods & wreckers section on removal.

Rolex need this clasp on every model from here on in as it just blows away every other previous version in terms of comfort and functionality coupled with quality and build.

SUMMING UP.

5.5mm thick domed crystal.
    Matte maxi dial and bigger hands.
    Blue lume.
    43mm case.
    Glidelock bracelet.
    3900m – 12800ft………How Deep!!!!

50 years we have waited for engineering, materials, and a market ready to accept this but the wait is over and its been worth it. Rolex have maintained many of the historic characteristics of the early Seadwellers, the domed crystal, Matte Dial, etc and delivered a watch which is undeniably larger than what has gone before, but is it too large? Owning one will tell a different story, it’s perfectly wearable. Infact the Deepsea has done really well with me as like many I was convinced it was too big by the million threads saying it was but the reality is that 99% of those comments are from either non owners or those that have tried one on in an AD’s and made a snap judgement that its too big!! If you have a sub 6.75" Wrist then perhaps this isnt the best choice but dont be brainwashed by the 'too big' line. I know I nearly did and I wouldn't have realized just how good it could be.

Its early days but Id be very surprised if you see this one up for sale!
    RIAC

Master

Re: Rolex Seadweller Deepsea

Very nice review and great pics. Thoughts on the now infamous bracelet-taper?

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3
    Very nice review and great pics. Thoughts on the now infamous bracelet-taper?
    Never noticed and dont find it relevant personally a 4mm taper over a 70mm stretch of bracelet is minimal
    RIAC

Master

Agreed, and I actually like the effect it gives tapering away from the big heed.

Master

Do you notice any difference in the ceramic bezel compared to your GMTc? I find the GMTc looks silver/grey more of the time than with the DS. Might just be the surface shape catches more light.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

good review and pics... thanks for posting

cheers
    mike

Re: Rolex Seadweller Deepsea Review

Now you've done it :evil:
    I'm getting really interested in this watch and I just decided to take a look at it ...
    If I buy one it's your fault with this great review :blackeye:
    Thanks a lot...
    Marc

Interesting review and some excellent photos. Thanks for taking the time & trouble to post it.

Master

Good review and pics 8)

EDIT does anyone know when they replaced the 'flat S' or 'MkI' Dials?

Nice review and great photos - I've had mine for 8 months now and it is easily my favourite watch :)

Mk1 flat S dials were up to spring 2010 IIRC (the OP is a Mk 2)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Stoat
    Nice review and great photos - I've had mine for 8 months now and it is easily my favourite watch :)

Mk1 flat S dials were up to spring 2010 IIRC (the OP is a Mk 2)
    Thanks for that, so spring 09 after Basel to spring 2010?

I have a 'MkI', thats why I was asking :D

Grand Master

Mine is indeed this year, came from Rolex factory in December so one of the latest off the production line.

Difference on the new dial are

Overall font is slightly "thinner".

* The painted Rolex coronet has changed style to look more like the coronet on other Rolex dials.
    * The "E"s in "DEEPSEA" now have a shorter middle line in the "E".
    * The "S" in "SEA-DWELLER" has been changed from a "flat" S to a "round" one.
    * The "ft" font has been changed.
    * The "=" sign is not on Italic anymore but runs as two parallel lines.
    * There is now a larger gap between the ft and metres depth rating, aka "Gap Dial" (seen on the newest Sub 14060M's too, btw.)
    RIAC

Grand Master

MK1

MK2

RIAC

Master

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey
    MK1

MK2

Its a shame that there is no red :(

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigD

Red is so last decade! I want a line of 'Blue' writing!!!!!
    RIAC

Master

Quote Originally Posted by BigD

Red is so last decade! I want a line of 'Blue' writing!!!!!
    :lol:

Grand Master

The latest marketing & Spec from Rolex lists it as 44mm not 43mm! The size hasnt changed but where they take the measurement from must of as it is just over 44mm at its widest point.

Maybe a target indicator of whats to come? With the 42mm Sub maybe or 42mm Daytona???
    RIAC

That is a super looking watch, could seriously tempt me out of my Sub Date.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by crostonian
    No keep the sub date as its a must for any collection, just compliment it
    RIAC

True but without bottomless pockets I don't think I would choose to have two watches that whilst are very different they are certainly from the same family and at a casual glance look very similar.

Nice review ,great pics thanks for sharing :bounce:

Master

True but without bottomless pockets I don't think I would choose to have two watches that whilst are very different they are certainly from the same family and at a casual glance look very similar.
    Say whaaaaaat?!?! :lol:

Great review - just noticed.

I love mine and the bracelet feels very comfortable - I only notice the height of the watch if I look at it specifically across my wrist.

Looks fantastic from your pics - have to keep reminding myself every time I see one that I actually own one :)
    It's just a matter of time...

Nice review, I have one myself. Love the adjustable bracelet. the tapering bracelet doesn't bother a bit.

I find that the case back is flatter than the Seadweller and as a result it sits better on the wrist. A big fat Rolex Crown sits proportionally well between the protectors. One thing that is nice is that the titanium rear has a brushed finish and when leaving the watch on the side and the bracelet rubbing on the rear of the watch it has picked up no scratches, all my other Rolex have got scratches on the rear inside a week which progressively get worse. I used to leave the sticker on to try and prevent this but now there is no need.
    What, what? :shock: :shock: :shock:

When you have a bracelet watch you should never put it down dial-up with the back resting on the bracelet so as to avoid scratching the back. Preferably, it should rest with the crown-down … because all the faults have been placed in the crown-up position during multi-positional timing. (I bet you didn’t know that!)

……..that domed crystal, a throw back to the 1962 original Seadwellers is 5.5mm thick and looks like it could take a sledgehammer but doesn’t distort the dial or reading of it, the curvature is subtle but amazing.

The foggy domed sapphire was the only “issue” I found with the DSSD …

1. Rolex has for years been refusing to use domed sapphire. I could more or less spot a Rollie from across the room just by waiting for the light to bounce-off the flat crystal. ** :P

2. Even on the later Rolex acrylics (especially the ones with Cyclops) you will notice that that they are practically flat-topped and finishing with a sharp-edge so as to distort the dial-viewing as little as possible.

3900m – 12800ft………How Deep!!!!
    I feel that the unique case design, where the pressure is transferred from the front to back, is not being stressed enough. The ability to incorporate such an exceptional device (taking the water resistance to 3900m) while maintaining the traditional case-shape, is highly commendable.

The size of the DSSD is perfect. These days I find the traditional Subs too small on the wrist. My PRS-18A* on a Nato wears very Sub-like in terms of size and wrist presence.

The DSSD has probably created “the biggest-noise” of the Naughties’ mechanical renaissance. In a different paper I have made the observation that we entered the renaissance with “The Chronograph” being the primary model of the sports watch … but we have exited with “The Diver” stealing the crown. If that is so, then the Rolex DSSD must be the iconic sports watch of the decade.

Nice little write-up 100thmonkey and terrific pics.

john

* The PRS-18 is ‘officially’ 39mm (to the edge of the bezel) but is also classed as 43mm (to the edge of the case/crown).

** These days I can spot a DSSD by the rounded foggy crystal and the narrow bracelet. :P
    "The whole purpose of mechanical watches is to be impertinent." ~ Lionel a Marca, CEO of Breguet

Grand Master

John,

Many thanks for your kind and encouraging words.
    RIAC

A great review,

I do of course know just what a magnificant watch this is as I also am the proud owner of a
    mk1 April 2010 V serial model, but I was not aware of the subtle dial differences,
    so thanks! :D

Andy

Blog Entries

Nice watch, nice review.. nice pics.. all the way.

And size isn't everything (or so I always say :lol: !), but I'm a big lad and can carry off a large watch.. and would definetly love one of these.

Good stuff mate.

Greg. :)

Blog Entries

PS..

I expect a flurry of pics coming my way!!! 8) 8) 8)

Grand Master

Just waiting for a break in the cloud!
    RIAC

Blog Entries

Just waiting for a break in the cloud!
    Aye.. no worries, no rush fella.

You must be delighted with the watch though.. I've been having a drool over them in Leeds today. :)

Health to wear mate. :wink:

Journeyman

drool

why did i have kids and not more watches?

Missed this first time round, a very enjoyable and comprehensive review with loads of good photos. Cheers.

Good review nice picrures, just in my opinion the bracelet needs to be wider in order to match the case.

Thanks

Master

just spotted this, nice little review 8)

Thanks for the review. Very nice watch, hope to get sometime.

I am thinking the same thing

Grand Master

I had to sell my sub and sub date after buying it. Not because I had to but because they would never see my wrist again after owning this
    RIAC

Nice review, my bonus is due and I keep looking at this :shock:

very nice, which is is your fave of the three :D

Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3

Say whaaaaaat?!?! :lol:

Grand Master

Ive had two of the three so the DSSD is favourite by a clear margin, worn it everyday come rain or shine since I got it and never disappoints, that said the GMTIIC & I imagine the Sub LV are equally superb models
    RIAC

Banned
    Blog Entries

Red is so last decade!
    It is áll five decades past :idea: but that is appearantly what the Rolex clientele appreciates and beyond discussion anyway imo.
    The marketing on the dial/sector ring is an aquired taste too and taste is personal like the yesteryear association.

Looking at the objective part, the SLoP of the hardware is impressive :!:
    Well deserving very proud ownership.
    Thanks for the illustration.

The clasp is illustrated as the weakest link in that respect. A neat piece of design and engineering but definitely not at the SLoP of the head.
    And the dive extention... It is like it ís from five decades past. Well, almost, because the Rolex clasps from five decades past were simply functional in line with the functionality of the watch as a tool. It should now be in line with the high end lúxury product it has developed into and which the rest of the hardware delivers.
    Quite literally a weak link.
    It should no be like this for this price and level of manufacture. Allthough Rolex deserves a compliment for not going overboard with spending money on the box, a bit cheaper/smaller one still and more attention to the extention bit/clasp finish perhaps?

Anyway, enjoy the deservedly proud ownership sir and thanks for sharing; may you wear the crap out of it in good health and with lotsa fun!

Grand Master

That was said tongue in cheek, red & black are just perfection together in any arena, I would like to see some blue writing like on the Panerais as the green isnt just quite right on the GMTIIC, still superb but lacks the 'va va voom' of red
    RIAC

Banned
    Blog Entries

That was said tongue in cheek, red & black are just perfection together in any arena, I would like to see some blue writing like on the Panerais as the green isnt just quite right on the GMTIIC, still superb but lacks the 'va va voom' of red
    Well, there is actually lógic behind red print on the dial. Well, not in the print, but in the red.
    Print on the dial is clutter and unwanted for inequivocable legibility. Especially for a ´pro´ dive watch this is thé primary function.
    Now, the way I see it, there is no place for marketing on the dial of such a tool (just stamp the brand, model type, serial# on the back) but íf put on there, ideally áll such print on the dial of a dive watch intending to be serious should be in red. The red wavelength is the first to be absorbed under water so red ´disappears´ = uncluttering the dial :idea:

To print it in white is at least not beating about the bush; it is there to brand the thing and promote the properties.
    Printing it in any other colour than red is just plain design gimmickry.

Grand Master

You learn something new everyday, thanks for that
    RIAC

Banned
    Blog Entries

You learn something new everyday, thanks for that
    You´re wellcome.

nice review, so far i've been able to keep myself from buying a sub, this review doesn't help very much.....i want one...

Master

I was just reading this again and mine is deffo a mk1 DSSD.

Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by blackie
    I was just reading this again and mine is deffo a mk1 DSSD.
    That means youre Special...........!
    RIAC