TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Enjoying Smiths PRS29B

Craftsman

Enjoying Smiths PRS29B

Great watch. I'm very happy and want to share a pic :D

Craftsman

Re: Enjoying Smiths PRS29B

Great pic :)

I really like the 29B. The minute hand is the largest hand on any watch I've had... I can tell the time from across the room :D

Cheers,
    Mabuse

Quote Originally Posted by Mabuse
    Great pic :)

I really like the 29B. The minute hand is the largest hand on any watch I've had... I can tell the time from across the room :D

Cheers,
    Mabuse
    The minute hand on the original W10 is also ‘strong’ … but on the 29B it appears even ‘stronger’ because the hour hand is actually a tad shorter (say half a millimetre) than it should be. This tiny detail (which doesn’t jar) and probably has gone un-noticed by most … occasionally gives me that warm Doxa (little hour hand) feeling.

Terrific pic charlesnevers. Love the colours. The 29B is the watch that takes up most of my wrist-time.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Cracking picture of a very special watch... I'm going to wear mine tomorrow now which means it will be on all week as it's a delight to wear :D

I wear mine mostly on braided these days.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

I wear mine mostly on braided these days.

john
    The second hand looks looooong on that pic :D

I like how it looks on the braided nylon but I find it wears way to high like that. It really shows its size on nylon straps which keep the extra bit. I wear mine on the supplied grey nylon which I've circumsized. Would like a classic black leather strap but finding one that doesn't leave a large gap between the lugs is difficult.

Regardless, the 29B certainly oozes personality. Mine gets noticed quite a lot by people who don't normally care about watches at all :)

Cheers,
    Mabuse

Still have it on my bond-wannabe.

I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

I have a 29a, and love this watch! SO simple and clear. Does anybody know where to find a braided nato strap?

I've got a pre owned B model in route, just beside myself with anticipation, hope I can pull off the 51mm lug to lug...

Quote Originally Posted by steveok
    I have a 29a, and love this watch! SO simple and clear. Does anybody know where to find a braided nato strap?
    Assuming you are in the UK ...

According to this thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=157295

This guy has the 18mm but I have no experience ... etc:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/G10-NATO-18-mm-TR ... 500wt_1156

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Nice pics...you guys make it hard for a recovering milwatch addict! :D

Journeyman

anyone tried it with the bracelet eddie does for the speed bird III?

Quote Originally Posted by CSFL
    anyone tried it with the bracelet eddie does for the speed bird III?

I've had to re-host them as the originals were taken down.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

I have been dithering over the '29 as my '53 gets so much wrist time and I figured the '29 was/is too similar, now I am becoming confused as I think I need one because it is beautiful and it is so similar to the '53 and therefore will get a lot of wrist time.. :blackeye:..and now I find I need to actually buy a Speedbird III as well so that I have a bracelet option....basically I am confused.. :bom:

I was also waiting for the ZEX for a cheap fix..........

I've had to re-host them as the originals were taken down.

john
    My old pics. Sorry you had to re-host them, John, I'm still using the free hosting from Village Photos, and there's a 50 pic limit.

The bracelet fits well between the lugs, but the holes are in such a place that the end links flip and flop when the springbars are in place. I think it looks good, but it's not a natural fit - it'll take some bodging.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsev
    I have been dithering over the '29 as my '53 gets so much wrist time and I figured the '29 was/is too similar, now I am becoming confused as I think I need one because it is beautiful and it is so similar to the '53 and therefore will get a lot of wrist time.. :blackeye:..and now I find I need to actually buy a Speedbird III as well so that I have a bracelet option....basically I am confused.. :bom:

I am not sure what you are saying, so just to clarify ... the '29A is the one which is similar size to the '53. The '29B which is the one we are talking about here is the larger sized one.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

I am not sure what you are saying, so just to clarify ... the '29A is the one which is similar size to the '53. The '29B which is the one we are talking about here is the larger sized one.

john
    Yes sorry, I did say I was confused so maybe I was not being very clear, I have not bought a 29 to date as it is quite similar to my '53 however that is maybe a reason for buying one in the first place, assuming I buy one then I would get the "B" different enough with the updates, size increase and sapphire but the same classic design.

Anyway I have solved my PRS-14 bracelet requirement right now so am happily distracted.. :mrgreen:

Anyway I have solved my PRS-14 bracelet requirement right now so am happily distracted.. :mrgreen:

very nice - welll done - is it the omega bracelet or have you found something cheaper (my hope)?

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart

very nice - welll done - is it the omega bracelet or have you found something cheaper (my hope)?
    PRS-14 on Chronomat oyster
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=160564

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

john
    Thanks John, work is interfering with my keeping up with postings.. :shock: ..I have now modified the aftermarket oyster further with a gentle attack of file and emery cloth and I must say it really looks the business now, will update the original post when I get time tomorrow to take some more pics but this really is an easy and cheap solution for anybody craving the '14 on bracelet fix.

john
    Thanks John, work is interfering with my keeping up with postings.. :shock: ..I have now modified the aftermarket oyster further with a gentle attack of file and emery cloth and I must say it really looks the business now, will update the original post when I get time tomorrow to take some more pics but this really is an easy and cheap solution for anybody craving the '14 on bracelet fix.
    thanks, both

Quote Originally Posted by charlesnevers

great combo with the green nato... the green really pops out at ya. Where did you pick the strap up?

Quote Originally Posted by sts1976

great combo with the green nato... the green really pops out at ya. Where did you pick the strap up?
    From here
    http://www.timefactors.com/nato.htm

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Journeyman

Really nice watch and combo. Thx for sharing

Best
    Hans

Enjoying Smiths PRS29B

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=160564

john
    Any pics perchance of the post-op chronomat end-links on the 14?
    And .. what kind of file did you use may I ask?
    TIA

http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=160564

john
    Any pics perchance of the post-op chronomat end-links on the 14?
    And .. what kind of file did you use may I ask?
    TIA
    I used just a high quality but very fine file that came in a set of 6 originally used for cleaning up small diameter pipes after bronze welding repair.

Did not take too many (good quality.. :roll:) photos since then and am traveling at the moment but here are a few...........

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

Mine says hello:

What a great watch!!

Enjoying Smiths PRS29B

Simonsev, many thanks. Great work.

Darn was only planning to get the PRS18. But the more I wander into other threads, the more I'm thinking about other models.

I'm struggling to think of a watch that looks better on a NATO.

Arrgghh! My finger has been hovvering over the 'Checkout' button for a few weeks now having 'Added to Basket' at least half a dozen times.

"What's stopping him?" I hear you ask. Well, I'm just not sure I can carry off a 51mm lug height. Some of the pics on this thread make it look massive, but then I tell myself it can't be as it's only a 39mm case.

As I don't have chunky wrists (I have roughly a 7 1/4 to 7 1/2 inch wrist) I've not got a lot to play with (wrist that is :roll: ).

Help me out guys and girls. Tell me what I should do.

Frustrated of Northumberland :(

If you are worried about the length of the watch ... DON'T BUY IT.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

http://www.seiko-divers.info/scwf/index ... 1121298048

Let me explain myself. Back in the mid-'90s I wanted a mechanical watch and I bought this cheap Citizen Automatic Promaster to get me in the mood ... which thru many incarnations eventually became the 29B, the watch I was really looking for, it just took awhile coming.

Now the Citizen is classed as 41mm watch ... and for the first few days after I got the 29B, every time the watch peeked from under my shirtsleeve I thought I had the Citizen back in my life. Until the smaller numbers appeared to clear the ghosts away.

So if you worry about the length don't do it. As it happens I like the long length of the 29B as I want as much wrist presence as possible from a 39mm watch.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

fotoman

Last year I was about to order a 29B from Eddie and he told me the new batch of 29B wouldn't have high-doomed crystal any more.

Quote Originally Posted by fotoman
    Last year I was about to order a 29B from Eddie and he told me the new batch of 29B wouldn't have high-doomed crystal any more.
    It will still be a high dome (if anything, the acrylic will probably present an even higher dome) it just will not be sapphire.

I am actually looking forward to see what an acrylic 29b (29c :?: ) will look like. I might even get one if it substantially (and positively) changes the look of the current watch. When I had the 29a on the passaround I thought it felt 'warmer' and somehow 'rounder'.

I wonder if the acrylic of the 29c will be the same as the "thick acrylic" of the Everest or the standard acrylic of the 29a ... Any thoughts on that Eddie?

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli
    Arrgghh! My finger has been hovvering over the 'Checkout' button for a few weeks now having 'Added to Basket' at least half a dozen times.

"What's stopping him?" I hear you ask. Well, I'm just not sure I can carry off a 51mm lug height. Some of the pics on this thread make it look massive, but then I tell myself it can't be as it's only a 39mm case.

As I don't have chunky wrists (I have roughly a 7 1/4 to 7 1/2 inch wrist) I've not got a lot to play with (wrist that is :roll: ).

Help me out guys and girls. Tell me what I should do.

Frustrated of Northumberland :(
    It does wear a bit large for a 39mm watch in my opinion. I have a 7,3" wrist and I feel that the lugs are not as snug against my wrist as I would like them to be. I had decided to sell mine and buy a 29a instead, but a few days ago I noticed that my watch is losing its spring tension when left face up overnight, so it will have to go back to Eddie first.

"It does wear a bit large for a 39mm watch in my opinion. I have a 7,3" wrist and I feel that the lugs are not as snug against my wrist as I would like them to be. I had decided to sell mine and buy a 29a instead, but a few days ago I noticed that my watch is losing its spring tension when left face up overnight, so it will have to go back to Eddie first."

Thanks, I think I've come to that conclusion also so I'll be giving it a miss. I'd have bought a 29a but I don't want to be restricted by fixed bars.

David

Quote Originally Posted by fotoman
    It will still be a high dome (if anything, the acrylic will probably present an even higher dome) it just will not be sapphire.

I am actually looking forward to see what an acrylic 29b (29c :?: ) will look like. I might even get one if it substantially (and positively) changes the look of the current watch. When I had the 29a on the passaround I thought it felt 'warmer' and somehow 'rounder'.

I wonder if the acrylic of the 29c will be the same as the "thick acrylic" of the Everest or the standard acrylic of the 29a ... Any thoughts on that Eddie?

john
    Very interesting information. Presumably the change from sapphire to acrylic is based on either cost or supply reasons. Ewan had it right in his review though:

The 39mm version of the watch has been fitted with a double domed sapphire crystal. Firstly, I would venture that a sapphire is the best choice given the acreage of dial which it has to cover; something perhaps more crack resistant than acrylic. The keywords are of course double domed; a flat sapphire would have instantly robbed the watch of much of its character. What we see is in effect the same as a large domed acrylic but with the scratch resistant qualities that many wearers demand. The double domed sapphire is in itself an expensive item to produce and other manufacturers charge quite a hefty premium for fitting of such (often in the hundreds of GB Pounds). Given the size of the PRS-29B, then the sapphire adds nicely to the overall heft and feeling of solidity of the watch.
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw

Very interesting information. Presumably the change from sapphire to acrylic is based on either cost or supply reasons.
    The maker erroneously charged for the double dome as if it was a single dome. With the true cost of the double dome the watch will be more than people are prepared to pay. With the Sinn 356 the difference between the acrylic and sapphire is 500 GBP.

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Very interesting information. Presumably the change from sapphire to acrylic is based on either cost or supply reasons.
    The maker erroneously charged for the double dome as if it was a single dome. With the true cost of the double dome the watch will be more than people are prepared to pay. With the Sinn 356 the difference between the acrylic and sapphire is 500 GBP.

john
    Thank you again, and apologies for the delay in spotting this most informative reply. I now understand the reason for the change and am pleased to have benefited. Those doomed crystals do seem quite expensive.

David
    David

Master

Payment sent today for a 29B to join the collection. It'll sit nicely with my PRS18A and PRS20 in the watch box. Really looking forward to getting it...

Enjoying Smiths PRS29B

Quote Originally Posted by S Works
    Payment sent today for a 29B to join the collection. It'll sit nicely with my PRS18A and PRS20 in the watch box. Really looking forward to getting it...
    Congrats. They are excellent watches and can take so many strap options. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.
    David

Master

Quote Originally Posted by S Works
    Congrats. They are excellent watches and can take so many strap options. I'm sure you'll enjoy yours.
    Thank you.

After a trouble-free deal with 2kilo mine's been on the wrist all week and is having the weekend off :wink:

It's exactly what I hoped for and is the perfect watch for me to wear to work. Can be dressed up or down and sits perfectly under the cuff of a shirt. Tomorrow I'm going to try it on one of the leather straps to see how that looks. All I can say to anyone considering buying is, don't wait!

Blog Entries

[quote=S Works]
    Quote Originally Posted by "S Works":9w19vx4z
    Thank you.

After a trouble-free deal with 2kilo mine's been on the wrist all week and is having the weekend off :wink:

It's exactly what I hoped for and is the perfect watch for me to wear to work. Can be dressed up or down and sits perfectly under the cuff of a shirt. Tomorrow I'm going to try it on one of the leather straps to see how that looks. All I can say to anyone considering buying is, don't wait![/quote:9w19vx4z]
    I told you it was a disease mate, nice catch

Quote Originally Posted by sts1976
    Quote Originally Posted by charlesnevers

I wonder how this one will look on olive canvas straps form TZ-UK, like Time Factors CANVAS Strap 18, 20 & 22mm?

Quote Originally Posted by dingo69

I wonder how this one will look on olive canvas straps form TZ-UK, like Time Factors CANVAS Strap 18, 20 & 22mm?

Pic fron here
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/show-us ... 100-8.html

john
    THIN is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by dingo69

Pic fron here
    http://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/show-us ... 100-8.html

john
    Thank you John, that's another £5 heading Eddie's way when he re-opens.
    David

Master

Quote Originally Posted by thattallchap
    I told you it was a disease mate, nice catch
    You did indeed. I don't think I needed much encouragement though to be fair! ;)