closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling B-1 robustness?

Breitling B-1 robustness?

So I was all set to buy one of these this weekend and just got off the phone to the dealers who have pretty much been talked out of buying it! The chap I spoke to explained that the B-1 really isn't suitable for the type of work I do (ironic, considering my profession).

Apparently it won't take kindly to the humidity, rain and altitude it'll probably get subjected to (I work in Indonesia) and hence they'd rather not sell it to me. They will if I really want it but have advised against it. They reckon even an Aerospace might be a bad choice as well. My Seiko Monster is more suited he reckoned :D

Crazy! I've had my heart set on a Breitling for years but never realised they're not suitable for pilots (unless you drive an Airbus/Boeing I guess).

Anyone got one (or any other Breitling Professional model) and care to comment on their robustness?

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

Re: Breitling B-1 robustness?

Had 2 B1's and a B2, the B1 is a tough watch, I think the AD is talking out of his hooter !

The B-1 has 50m water resistance, which isn't a lot. I'd also suggest that the case design doesn't lend itself to a hostile environment. The case back looks like a turbine blade with lots of space for crud to get into.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Chartman69
    I think the AD is talking out of his hooter !
    And wants you to upgrade your purchase no doubt. ;)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Chartman69
    Had 2 B1's and a B2, the B1 is a tough watch, I think the AD is talking out of his hooter !
    And not even to make a sale, but to scare a potential customer away! Not something you hear very often!

Master

http://donindiano.lanetcie.com/watches/ ... 1/movement.

Heres some details.

Hope they help, i have seen a piece about the temperatures that the B1 Superquartz can safely operate.

Cant find at moment but will post when i do.

Regards

Colin

The chap wasn't trying to sell me anything else; just giving me his honest opinion. I even mentioned that I would like an Emergency one day but he reckoned even that might suffer. He reckoned the Emergency Mission was a better option. That really surprised me as I'm sure the whole point of the Emergency is that it'll be used in "hostile" conditions :?

Wow! The "bad ass Seiko Monster dive watch" should be your choice rather then the Breitling B 1? suggested by the Breitling rep. himsel? Amazing. :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by cgs
    i have seen a piece about the temperatures that the B1 Superquartz can safely operate.
    I don't think he was concerned so much with the temperatures, more the humidity and rain. He reckoned the crown and push buttons could, over time, let moisture into the watch and steam it up, eventually leading to failure. I was honest with him with the conditions it would get subjected to; I fly in/out of some pretty rough places (especially in Papua where I'm being posted to next) with 30+ degrees heat, rain, humidity, altitudes in excess of 10,000ft and expect my watch to keep on ticking. Can't believe Breitling's can't put up with this when my $200 Seiko Monster can!

I should add, they're not an official Breitling dealer and sell everything from Rolex, Breitling, Omega etc. Mainly pre-owned.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Moose
    i have seen a piece about the temperatures that the B1 Superquartz can safely operate.
    I don't think he was concerned so much with the temperatures, more the humidity and rain. He reckoned the crown and push buttons could, over time, let moisture into the watch and steam it up, eventually leading to failure. I was honest with him with the conditions it would get subjected to; I fly in/out of some pretty rough places (especially in Papua where I'm being posted to next) with 30+ degrees heat, rain, humidity, altitudes in excess of 10,000ft and expect my watch to keep on ticking. Can't believe Breitling's can't put up with this when my $200 Seiko Monster can!

Its a Dive watch you need then :wink:

Blog Entries

In those conditions?
    Buy a Sinn from the U series, UX if you want quartz precision.
    Nothing gets in there :)
    Look at Raymond Weil or Tag for ana/digi and 200 meters WR.

http://cgi.ebay.nl/Raymond-Weil-Sports- ... 2c59eaf202

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master

He reckoned the Emergency Mission was a better option.
    Confirmed, talking out of his hooter.

Master

Sounds a bit harsh to me, but I suppose if he means well then that should be applauded - it is so often the other way.

I can't comment on the validity of his comment as the worst that happens to my B1 is it sometimes get rained on.

Completely different idea - what about an M1?

Tough as old boots, rated to 1000m and pushers that won't let the water in.

I've said it for years - the Seiko Monster is the way to go. Economical, robust, and now recommended by Breitling ADs!

Master

Bear Grylls wearing an Emergency,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt6XVRsmWDk

Master

I should add, they're not an official Breitling dealer and sell everything from Rolex, Breitling, Omega etc. Mainly pre-owned.
    http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26737

Colin

Blog Entries

:D Looks Hot & sweaty there !! :wink:

I didn't know the B-1 was still available new.

Although I've dived with my B-1 I'm not in a position to comment on humidity issues, but I'd unhesitatingly recommend the CA M-1 (as has already been mentioned): if that was to be affected by humidity it would be a miracle, given the construction.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy

Although I've dived with my B-1 ...

R
    Any pics Ralph?

Sure the B1 will be fine - I have yet to hear any meaningful advice from a dealer :roll:
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Just to clear up a couple of things. The watch I was looking at is pre-owned (2004 model) and for sale at a non-official dealers who sell all kinds of Swiss watches.

Blog Entries

Just to clear up a couple of things. The watch I was looking at is pre-owned (2004 model) and for sale at a non-official dealers who sell all kinds of Swiss watches.
    Hooters !

I don't agree with the AD and I think a B1 would be fine although an Aerospace with 100m water resistance would be better.....The Titanium would suit a hot climate a lot better too.

Blog Entries

Any watch over time may fail - but the B-1 has a water resistance of 50m so should be fine for those conditions. This is suitable for surface-swimming (according to Brietling literature) - which means it can take total immersion - so high humidity should be ok. The B-1 is based on ETA20.341 and this has a quoted operating temperature between 0 - 50 C. As with any watch if you are taking it into hostile conditions I'd say just get the gaskets checked annually at any AD. For what it's worth I see the Breitling Air Racing Team tend to wear the Aerospace. I've worn my B-1 in North Africa, West Africa as well with high humidity and had no issues with its functionality - I did swim in a pool with it too. Hope that helps - but in the end you need to be comfortable wearing it I guess :?
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Quote Originally Posted by Gunscrossed
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy

Although I've dived with my B-1 ...

R
    Any pics Ralph?
    I'm not sure if I kept any, but I'll keep an eye out when going through the library. (I think I might have given a pic to Toshi as the B-1 was on one of his straps at the time )

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

I would in all honesty suggest the Aerospace if you want the dual display. I have worn mine in jungles and deserts on mountains and on frozen tundra, it went all over the world with me when I was in the RAF and never missed a beat. It is lighter than the B-1 (which I also own), has a better water resistance, is cheaper and is supremely comfortable to wear.

Some interesting experiences and opinions, mostly disagreeing with the chap I spoke to.

The Aerospace, for me, feels a little too light (I prefer to know I have something on my wrist) but is a nice watch and one I'd like to own at some point. If I was to get one, it would have to be blue faced and the larger 42mm version. I don't like the current version though with the vertical lines all over the middle of them, so pre-owned is a must.

Still really want that B-1 though. Found my perfect one too; blue faced on a pro divers strap :twisted:

Blog Entries

If you found the one you want then sod the salesman and buy it :-)
    “ Ford... you're turning into a penguin. Stop it.” HHGTTG

Just buy it and take the plunge! You only live once!!

Have you thought about a Rolex Explorer II?

Master

Some interesting experiences and opinions, mostly disagreeing with the chap I spoke to.

The Aerospace, for me, feels a little too light (I prefer to know I have something on my wrist) but is a nice watch and one I'd like to own at some point. If I was to get one, it would have to be blue faced and the larger 42mm version. I don't like the current version though with the vertical lines all over the middle of them, so pre-owned is a must.

Still really want that B-1 though. Found my perfect one too; blue faced on a pro divers strap :twisted:
    The B-1 is a superb, mine is currently earmarked for SC, but I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to go through with it.

My slight reservation with your requirements is that although 50m water resistant the manual does state not to operate the crown or pushers underwater, one therefore wonders if there may be a possibility of the humidity causing long-term issues through that route.

However all this is conjecture. Why don't you contact Breitling themselves, all I ever hear is good things about their customer service so I'm sure they would be happy to advise you.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonH
    However all this is conjecture. Why don't you contact Breitling themselves, all I ever hear is good things about their customer service so I'm sure they would be happy to advise you.
    I did just that :) Gave them a ring in Switzerland on Friday and spoke to a lady who advised it will be fine in the conditions I'll be exposing it to, provided the battery and seals are changed every couple of years. So I've gone ahead and bought it after popping into the dealers in London to take a look at it. Should arrive tomorrow all polished with a new battery and seals :bounce:

I think that's the right decision - when you have your heart set on a watch, nothing else will do until you scratch that itch.

I have a B1 SQ and love it, so i think you'll be chuffed.