closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Russian watches any good?

Craftsman

Russian watches any good?

I'm keen on getting a large 40mm chronograph and seen a few of the Russian made Poljot at reasonable prices.
    Worth investing in one or best to avoid?
    Also i would like to hear user experiences with Russian watches.
    Thanks

Re: Russian watches any good?

I recommend the Poljot Strela, excellent watch for the money. There is a very good review in the "reviews" forum so take a look over there.

For now though, here is a pic of mine....

Nothing wrong with Russian watches, just make sure you get one from a reliable source. The 3133 movement chronographs are good study workhorses, as seen in the Strela above and in this Buran.

regards,
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Robertf
    I recommend the Poljot Strela, excellent watch for the money. There is a very good review in the "reviews" forum so take a look over there.

I have the white faced version of this watch on a lovely nine strand bracelet.
    It was one of my first watches and still one of my favourites.
    Cracking value for money and absolutely splendid.
    Of all my watches it is the one that gets most commented on.

Of course they are good,..... :)
    I prefer the USSR vinatge model pre 1991 though

http://ussrtime.com/
    http://www.netgrafik.ch/russiantimes.htm
    http://www.ussrwatches.info/main.php

These are not commercial sites, but will give you some idea's

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by martinzx
    I agree with that statement, matter of fact, as a primarily dive watch collector have this monster... 60mm and almost 300 grams :shock:

ORIGINAL 1960s Zlatoust 191CHS diver - I love the watch despite the stories: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYtG36McC08

Quote Originally Posted by c24/7
    I agree with that statement, matter of fact, as a primarily dive watch collector have this monster... 60mm and almost 300 grams :shock:

ORIGINAL 1960s Zlatoust 191CHS diver - I love the watch despite the stories: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYtG36McC08

I have one as well - a must for any serious collector :D - I use mine as desk clock - yes it is that big and heavy.

Molinja also do some nice movements all be on the big side.

Invicta do some interesting watches - might be worth having a look at them, however to be honest I would never pay over £50 for any Russian watch unless it was a bit special like the 191.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Master

I find some of the Vostoks appealing, and may well get one at some point.

I like the look of those 60mil ones above too!

Craftsman

http://ussrtime.com/
    http://www.netgrafik.ch/russiantimes.htm
    http://www.ussrwatches.info/main.php

These are not commercial sites, but will give you some idea's
    Thanks Martin, great sites!!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Robertf

Now that I really like 8)
    Where is the best place to get one? - prefer secondhand as it will be a daily piece.

I'd recommend Poljot myself having also owned a Vostok previously. The quality is excellent and they're a lot of watch for your money. I think I read somewhere that Poljot (which means 1st Russian Watch Company apparently) bought up loads of swiss watch making equipment just after the 2nd World War which they still use today.

Here's my Aviator which I was lucky enough to actually buy in Moscow about 5 years ago....still love it 8)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by skmark
    I'd recommend Poljot myself having also owned a Vostok previously. The quality is excellent and they're a lot of watch for your money. I think I read somewhere that Poljot (which means 1st Russian Watch Company apparently) bought up loads of swiss watch making equipment just after the 2nd World War which they still use today.

Here's my Aviator which I was lucky enough to actually buy in Moscow about 5 years ago....still love it 8)

Aaaargh, want one!!! :cry:
    Great lume

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg
    Invicta do some interesting watches - might be worth having a look at them, however to be honest I would never pay over £50 for any Russian watch unless it was a bit special like the 191.
    Since when is Invicta russian???

One has to make a clear distinction in ´Russian´ watches.
    The soviet era watches (in roughly three periods), the post soviet ´transitional´ mess and the current entrepeneurial renaissance with good products mixed with rip offs.

There are lots and lóts of very intersting and historically significant soviet period watches.
    The older Cortebert engined Molnijas are VERY good watches worth more than they go for, early Vostok Amphibians are highly collectable just like early Sturmanskies, the Strela and co., and many more.
    The collectables are still relatively cheap because of the mass of run of the mill watches pumped out indeed not worth 50 pounds and setting the perspective.
    Even so, among the soviet era collectables are quite a lot of models that will fetch 500 euros or more.

The transitional ones are not even worth 5 let alone 50.
    There is a notable exception but the brand and products are plagued with modern remakes that may come from ánywhere.

The current market is a mine field about which no sound and safe rule of thumb can be given other than to do your home work THOROUGHLY.

Oh and Vostok and Vostok Europe have NOTHING to do with eachother.
    VE is quite ok. The Ekranoplan is a nice example.

Poljot (Strela and others) products from the past decade are a mystery: What happened with the Poljot factory after it reputedly when ´bancrupt´ is still unknown. VE bought some stuff like the famous watch winder but the assets were stripped, the site ´develloped´ and the machinery used sómewhere to make ????? and Juri Levenberg is somewhere and -how connected.
    Íf I were forced to make a comment I would say that it is beter to spend a bit more on a soviet era original.

A good place start to inform yourself broadly and rapidly about soviet originals while at the same time developing a visual idea is: http://www.ussrtime.com/

Banned
    Blog Entries

Among the soviet originals there are real jewels like:

This is a Vostok ´Precision´ and the same mico adjustment mechanism was used in the simpler finished Wolna and a more elaborately finished upgraded Cortebert caliber design (cal. 3600) in the Kristall pocket watch.
    Below is an average finish. Earlier ones are more eleborate (including hidden surfaces), later ones lack the ´striping´.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Huertecilla
    They're separate companies but most Vostok Europe watches are fitted with Vostok movements.

Vostok - Russian
    Vostok Europe - Lithuanian

Craftsman

One has to make a clear distinction in ´Russian´ watches.
    The soviet era watches (in roughly three periods), the post soviet ´transitional´ mess and the current entrepeneurial renaissance with good products mixed with rip offs.

There are lots and lóts of very intersting and historically significant soviet period watches.
    The older Cortebert engined Molnijas are VERY good watches worth more than they go for, early Vostok Amphibians are highly collectable just like early Sturmanskies, the Strela and co., and many more.
    The collectables are still relatively cheap because of the mass of run of the mill watches pumped out indeed not worth 50 pounds and setting the perspective.
    Even so, among the soviet era collectables are quite a lot of models that will fetch 500 euros or more.

The transitional ones are not even worth 5 let alone 50.
    There is a notable exception but the brand and products are plagued with modern remakes that may come from ánywhere.

The current market is a mine field about which no sound and safe rule of thumb can be given other than to do your home work THOROUGHLY.

VE is quite ok. The Ekranoplan is a nice example.

Poljot (Strela and others) products from the past decade are a mystery: What happened with the Poljot factory after it reputedly when ´bancrupt´ is still unknown. VE bought some stuff like the famous watch winder but the assets were stripped, the site ´develloped´ and the machinery used sómewhere to make ????? and Juri Levenberg is somewhere and -how connected.
    Íf I were forced to make a comment I would say that it is beter to spend a bit more on a soviet era original.

A good place start to inform yourself broadly and rapidly about soviet originals while at the same time developing a visual idea is: http://www.ussrtime.com/
    Terrific advice & info, thank you!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper
    They're separate companies but most Vostok Europe watches are fitted with Vostok movements.

Vostok - Russian
    Vostok Europe - Lithuanian
    VE do use the 2624, 2432 Vostok movements and a 2441/2446 modified Vostok but they also fit japanese movements.
    They make heavy use of the NH25 by SEIKO!!!! :mrgreen:
    http://www.timemodule.com/sii/eng/nh.php
    and the Ekranoplan has a Miyota OS22b chrono inside like in the GAZ14. At least; the present one on their site. The old one uses the 2432 Vostok.

All in all the Vostok Europe makes some quite nice and proper quality watches for a reasonable price. Not the standard watch design, wel made hardware, reliable engines. Good value for money and even more so through the watch fora that have a deal with Irina Maier of Vostok-watches.com
    HdR has an up to 20% standard deal for Vostok (VE lower) and a special joint buy has just been closed. They had discounts up to 28% for p.e. the Aviator and Sturmanskie models.

Sorry my mistake - brain freeze :bigsmurf:

Andy

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Grand Master

another vote for the 3133 chronos here, fantastic watches if you get a good one although be sure to buy from a reputable source as sometimes qc can be a bit hit and miss, so you need to make sure that follow up customer service is decent and available.
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ktmog6uk
    another vote for the 3133 chronos here, fantastic watches if you get a good one although be sure to buy from a reputable source as sometimes qc can be a bit hit and miss, so you need to make sure that follow up customer service is decent and available.
    I would ONLY buy a new one from Maier gmbh though ´El Monitor´ on HdR resulting in a double safety net for the lowest price on the market.

Through the latest deal the one below would cost just over 300 euros.

and well under 200 buys:

and the top of the range gilded Strela will stil not break the bank at under 500

Blog Entries

Yes, it might be wise not to wear it too much! I presume the radioactivity is from radium lume.

That said, I don't know if that level of radioactivity is actually dangerous. I don't even know what the accumulated units were on that detector.

Craftsman

Russian watches any good?

Another vote of confidence here. I owned a Volmax aviator chrono for two years (just like skmark's). It was my first mechanical watch, and seriously good value for money. I ended up selling it to a mate but do miss it when I see it.
    And it's still keeping chronometer standard time.

Craftsman

I would ONLY buy a new one from Maier gmbh though ´El Monitor´ on HdR resulting in a double safety net for the lowest price on the market.

Through the latest deal the one below would cost just over 300 euros.

and well under 200 buys:

and the top of the range gilded Strela will stil not break the bank at under 500

Really nice watches and seem to be excellent pricing.
    I will be looking at Maier gmbh website :)

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon
    Yes, it might be wise not to wear it too much! I presume the radioactivity is from radium lume.

That said, I don't know if that level of radioactivity is actually dangerous. I don't even know what the accumulated units were on that detector.
    :shock:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Beta2
    Website url's please, as i have problems finding the sites through google
    thanks

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by markrlondon

I posted a topic on it over here.

The botom line is that a Zlatoust is actually less likely to have radium paint than say a Hamilton from the same period or even later.
    The soviets were ahead of this ballgame and stopped using it earlier than the West! It only affects early examples.
    The scare story got stuck to these divers because when the soviets sold the later tourist version, the paperwork came with ´loud´ stamps that the things was NOT RADIOACTIVE giving NO RADIATION and as such drawing the max. attention to it :mrgreen:

There was a rumour in Germany when several turned up on flea markets over there, that the odd one may have been contaminated by work in a high radiation submarine environment.
    I have been able to unearth the source document from the German health authorities about it which after checking random watches concluded that there was no evidence supporting this.

The youtube video illustrates why a watch is not a problem unless one stocks a pile near where one spends a lot of time or opens the thing.
    The radiation is VERY localised and at a small distance already gone in the background noise.

It is a good idea to loook for other objects on youtube and the web. There are far more common, far later watches with higher readings and also surprising dinner ware setting off counters like mad.
    On ebay.nl and marktplaats.nl you will at any given moment encounter ione particular kind of popular Dutch glassware that gives off more than a x-ray film burning Hamilton military watch yet is perfectly safe to eat you egg from at breakfast.

Banned
    Blog Entries

thanks
    http://www.hablemosderelojes.com/forum/ ... hp?t=27913

??? ?????? !

Master

This is the only Russian watch I own:

Made by Poljot, though labelled 'Junghans' and clearly intended to evoke the Luftwaffe chrono. I did have a problem with the chrono second hand (the big one) coming a bit loose and had to have it repaired, other than that it's been fine.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hopak
    ??? ?????? !
    The closing date is a bit flexible appearantly.

There is a lot of moaning about Rolex price rises on this (and other) forum, but that is nóthing compared to what the russian watches do. Jumps of 10 to 15% are nothing strange. The 2011 increase by Poljot is expected to be a 15% whopper again.

Craftsman

thanks
    http://www.hablemosderelojes.com/forum/ ... hp?t=27913
    Thanks Huertecilla...

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by monogroover
    This is the only Russian watch I own:

Made by Poljot, though labelled 'Junghans' and clearly intended to evoke the Luftwaffe chrono. I did have a problem with the chrono second hand (the big one) coming a bit loose and had to have it repaired, other than that it's been fine.
    Nice very nice 8)

I love this Russian military flair thing going on here in this thread

Here's another to add to the thread.

Great lume on this, but the 24hr dial takes a bit of getting used to.

regards,
    Nick

Here's mine

As cheap as chips and as accurate as Big Ben.

?? ???????? !

Master

Nice very nice 8).........
    .......and very fake :twisted:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo
    Here's another to add to the thread.

Great lume on this, but the 24hr dial takes a bit of getting used to.

regards,
    Nick
    Love the style :) but slightly confusing dial :?

Craftsman

.......and very fake :twisted:[/quote]

:?:

Craftsman

Here's mine

?? ???????? !
    What are the dimensions?
    How cheap? :)

My Arctic World Timer keeps excellent time. It's certainly very well made and I think it looks good too.

Best Regards - Peter

I'd hate to be with you when you're on your own.

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by Griswold
    My Arctic World Timer keeps excellent time. It's certainly very well made and I think it looks good too.

Very classy!

Here's mine

?? ???????? !
    What are the dimensions?
    It's 45mm by 32mm including the crown, takes an 18mm strap and I bought it in 2005 in Kiev for the equivalent of about £50.

Thank you very much for all the information and tips. I had experience with two watches a Poljot hand wind 17 jewel, pilot watch and a Vostok scubadude dive watch. The Poljot worked well for 1 year, then stopped working. I had it send it back to Russia, it was repaired for free and sent back to me. The Vostok did not work at all since receiving it, it was brand new so it was also sent back to Russia and replaced/repaired for free. It worked well after that. I sold both.

Master

I would not characterise it as a replica. It really only bears a rough resemblance to the watch that appears to have inspired it. Most critically, it doesn't have the domed crystal, and has a date function, hardly something they'd include if the intention was to replicate the real thing.

To this day I don't understand why it bears the legend "JUNGHANS", but there's no doubt that it is a Poljot, and it was sold to me as such. There is a version of the same watch available with the Poljot brand.

Whether Poljot had a licence of some sort to use the Junghans brand, I don't know (or care).

I would not characterise it as a replica. It really only bears a rough resemblance to the watch that appears to have inspired it. Most critically, it doesn't have the domed crystal, and has a date function, hardly something they'd include if the intention was to replicate the real thing.

To this day I don't understand why it bears the legend "JUNGHANS", but there's no doubt that it is a Poljot, and it was sold to me as such. There is a version of the same watch available with the Poljot brand.

Whether Poljot had a licence of some sort to use the Junghans brand, I don't know (or care).
    Fake POS.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman

Here's mine

?? ???????? !
    What are the dimensions?
    It's 45mm by 32mm including the crown, takes an 18mm strap and I bought it in 2005 in Kiev for the equivalent of about £50.
    :shock: what a bargain!!

Banned
    Blog Entries

Well.... all is relative. It was cheapish then but just like today.

An Aviator 24h costs a bit more today. Also it was ín Russia and you are looking at prices here.
    It is like comparing a 2005 model GrandSeiko in Japan with a 2011 one in Paris. Then and there is not here and now or tomorow somewhere else.

Buying one nów through an economic channel will stíll give you a comparatively advantaguous deal.
    Where else in the EC (imported and all) can you buy a mechanical alarm, a 24 hr. mechanical or a mechanical chrono for under 200 Euros?
    They still are the same ´bargains´.
    The vintage collectable ones are by and large even more bargains. Despite the price increase, they have still lagged behind most other collectable watches, making the gap lárger. The price of an original match stick Amphibian p.e. still a jóke when you compare it to a new russian watch or a vintage swiss diver and it is illustrative.

Well.... all is relative. It was cheapish then but just like today.

An Aviator 24h costs a bit more today. Also it was ín Russia and you are looking at prices here.
    Absolutely true it is all relative.
    At the time the average wage for a teacher was £30 per month so a fifty quid watch meant that the kids went hungry and the gas bill unpaid. I was in Moscow once where people were queuing to look at a packet of razor blades in a glass case.
    It puts shopping on the internet in perspective.