closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Rolex Explorer

Craftsman

New Rolex Explorer

Now I know this watch has divided opinion (from the extremes of "turd in a pool" all the way through to mild apathy!) but as they had one in stock I decided to give it a try whilst in my local AD yesterday. I was pretty much decided that I wanted to get an Explorer 2 but, before making any final decisions, I was going to have a good play with the other watches I'd considered.

As a Rolex thread and new Explorer thread I realise that this is potentially doubly contentious :D :D , so my comments below are strictly personal and are not intended to reflect on the watches not purchased or the ownwers of said watches in any way - this is just a guide through my thought/buying processes.

First up I tried the Exp 2 - still very much like it for it's unique look but I think this is one best purchased pre-loved as it seems to take a bigger residuals hit than many other Rolex models. Also, for a watch costing over £4k, I still couldn't get over the rattly bracelet (although I know they are as tough as old boots). So, this one was out of the running but I'll have one someday for sure.

Next, the classic Sub ND. Love it, and still do, and the watch my head said to buy. Alas, decided against as my heart felt there was too much overlap for me with my Omega Seamaster. I'm not diver fixated and was looking for a bit of diversity in my portfolio.

Third into bat was the original Explorer. I really wanted to like this watch as there are so many good reasons to buy one. Now, I'm not a member of the "biggest is best" watch brigade and own other 36mm watches and have nothing over 41mm in my collection. However, I was suprised how small it wears even on my thin 6.75 inch wrists! Another one ruled out as I felt it looked almost comically small on me.

Not really a serious contender for me but as the AD had a couple of pre-owned LV's in stock I had a play with these too. I do love the unique green colour and if money were no object I'd have one in a jiffy - love that maxi dial, and it would be a great watch to keep just for the weekends in my book. However, as a desk wallah I felt it was just a bit too quirky for me to commit to.

Last up, and almost for form's sake, I gave the new Exp a try despite the panning it's receievd on this forum :lol: . Amazingly, an immediate hit for me! The 39mm size is spot on for me and the lug-to-lug length sits perfectly on my wrist. It's got a lovely heft to it despite it's relatively modest size. The bracelet has been upgraded and feels beautifully solid. To me, it's very discrete, has a unique look to it and doesn't shout, both of which are good in my line of work, plus it's quite slim and will easily fit under any of my shirt cuffs. The lume on it is pretty good too, and a cool blue, and lasts through until the morning. I also like it that it has the new upgraded 3132 movement which apparantly has an improved mainspring and shock absorbtion. I can't deny that I would prefer if the hands were a bit longer but frankly I doubt I'd have noticed the issue but for these fora! Also, the "messing with a classic" issue doesn't bother me - I'll leave that to the purists :D . Interestingly, the AD told me they'd originally got 4 in and this was the third one sold.

Bottom line is I'm extremely happy with it and even the wife likes it which is pretty much a first :shock: :shock: . The added bonus was that the AD hadn't yet implemented the Jan VAT rise plus I asked for, and got, a further 10% discount (the paranoid part of me tells me this means I've bought a lemon :D ).

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed buying my first Rolex and am very happy with the outcome. It'll be interesting to see how what the market make of it ove time but I've nailed my colours to the mast :blackeye:

A few ropey pics!

Blog Entries

Re: New Rolex Explorer

Looks good. Nice end piece match and fit too.

Nice.. I have just picked up the "original" explorer.. but I like newer larger size as well :)

How much are these list then ?

Many congratulations on your new watch! You did the right thing, by checking them all out and making a decision on that basis. It's the only sensible thing to do. That new clasp looks awesome. For the rest of it I keep dithering about this model, but as I don't have the zloty to make a purchase, it's academic.

Enjoy it!
    David
    Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by MattH
    How much are these list then ?
    The AD told me that they are going up to £3860 but don't quote me on that!

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by dkpw
    That new clasp looks awesome.
    There really is a tactile pleasure to operating it and it feels a much better engineered item than on the original.

Blog Entries

Congrats!
    But oh those hands............................... :cry:

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

I find this watch very appealing and congratulate you on scoring a double discount. Would appreciate a first impressions post in a few weeks if you could oblige? Always gives a useful perspective to hear how you are finding it as the honeymoon period comes to an end.

In the meantime enjoy it! No matter what the "Beadle" hands doubters say, to me it looks one fine watch. :mrgreen:

It's certainly growing on me, very nice 8)
    "I looked with pity not untinged with scorn upon these trivial-minded passers-by"

Craftsman

The Sub would have been my first choice, but the Explorer you purchased second. I really like the Explorer II, white and black dialled versions, but the Explorer is very classy. Both dressy and sports.

I have no problem with the length of the hands.

The only town in Britain with Caesar's name

Nice post OP

I have also just bought an Exp (new model) and love it, a few mates have said its a nice watch including a jeweler I know who didn't like the Exp (original) however he really liked this one.

Good purchases given your comments

B

New Rolex Explorer

Congratulations, definitely needs to be tried on in person. I sampled pretty much the same selection ( plus the Milgauss ) and was surprised how the Exp II was third as my preference, after the Milgauss and new Explorer. I wouldn't have predicted this. Plus just think, when Rolex run out of the short hands and start fitting longer ones, how exclusive the early ones will be :mrgreen:

TT

Great watch, wear it in health!

I really like this one and the new size is just about right for me, too. As you mention, the previous one looked very small on the wrist, while the oyster perpetual, which has the same case, size looks OK on the wrist.

I liked the original explorer 1 but like you didnt feel comfortable with its size. This looks a great new watch for you, and its interesting to hear how it compared to others in the Rolex range.

Enjoy!

I really like the look of that. Hopefully someone will produce an homage in the same size as the current Zeno, Sandoz etc are just to small for me.

Congrats on the purchase and I couldn't agree more with your comments. I had the pleasure of trying one of these a few weeks back and it's a lovely looking watch and the bracelet feels a lot more solid than my old Sub.

Shame 39mm is still a bit too small for me.

Lovely watch and nice post. Enjoy it in good health.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo697
    I really like the look of that. Hopefully someone will produce an homage in the same size as the current Zeno, Sandoz etc are just to small for me.
    MKII produces the Vantage, which is 40mm as far as I know.
    Very nice piece it is as well.

http://www.mkiiwatches.com/CategoryProd ... Collection

Cheers,

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Congrats and enjoyed your piece on the purchase, a classy watch indeed.

Journeyman

Many thanks for that--I've been on the fence between getting the original explorer and the new one, and now you're swaying me heavily towards the latter :-)

Grand Master

Nice.....but not as nice as the 36mm 'old model' Explorer (apart from the improved bracelet). 36mm Explorer on a 6.75" wrist looks absolutely right....I know because I`ve got both the 6.75" wrist AND the watch.

Paul

Always liked the explorer and some of the history behind it. Having 'girls wrists' too ;) I prefer the 36mm but the new one is still a great looking watch.

Re: New Rolex Explorer visually flawed dial

To put things in perspective, tried on old Explorer I, new Explorer I, black Explorer II

Love the old Explorer I, so elegant and in the right proportions.

Black Explorer II, same size as old style Sub and GMT, but prefer the white dial - no surprise there.

Biggest shock was new Explorer I, whilst I adored the old Explorer I but found it a tad too small :(
    The new Explorer I looks ok until you wear it, the actual dial is 'enormous' much bigger than the Sub and old GMT

Have to say a thumbs down from me, Kylie and Salma Hayek are gorgeous albeit petite but if you scaled them up x 1.3 times you don't have the same women :D

It wears and has the presence of 44 mm watch even though it's width of watch including bezel is same as Sub or GMT.

imo Rolex should have scaled the New Explorer I up, so it's dial was same diameter as Sub or Explorer II.

The new Explorer does have improvements ie movement and superior clasp but visually it's flawed.

The simplicity and elegance of the old Explorer I has been 'destroyed' :(

Great post. Enjoy your new watch!

A great watch. Enjoy!

I love that.

My pick of the current Rolex range.

nice watch mate :wink:

Master

Great watch , love the fact there is no polshed steel on the bracelet ( ie Daytona/GMT) . Gives it a sporty/stealth look.

John

Craftsman

Re: New Rolex Explorer visually flawed dial

Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy

It wears and has the presence of 44 mm watch even though it's width of watch including bezel is same as Sub or GMT.(
    A very interesting observation! I didn't find this to be the case and I'm mindful of not trying to create the "TW Steel effect" by buying watches that I feel are are too big for me to carry given my spindly wrists :D . The new Exp 1 certainly has more presence the old one but to me still feels a tad smaller (and thinner) than the other watches you mention. Just shows that it's best to try before you buy.

By way of an update, in the first 2 weeks of continual wear (apart from in the shower!) my watch lost only 5 seconds. Normally a slow watch annoys me but given that's less than 0.5 sec/day I can live with it. If I can tear it from my wrist I'll try some "postional regulation" (ooh-err) overnight and leave it face up on the bedside table and see what effect that has.

Apprentice

A really nice 'do it all' watch, if only Rolex would add a date complication this would be my holy grail!

Craftsman

Thats one lovely looking watch and I agree with the previous comments re the clasp, looks well engineered

Quote Originally Posted by Daddelvirks
    Congrats!
    But oh those hands............................... :cry:

Daddel.
    Don't worry by the time the first service comes up, they should have the right hands for it. :D

john
    THIN is the new BLACK